Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-12-2007   #21
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam
Default Re: Tatum Bell next year?

A fumble machine with the speed of Ron Dayne. I'll pass.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
What do you think? He is a former Bronco.....

Denver Post
God I hope not. If we do find Tatum Bell in our backfield next year it will tell me that we're still picking through the castoff pile to find our running game. I don't think it will be a good sign.
Old 11-12-2007   #23
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Hell no
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #24
Xetuoh1836
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 Xetuoh1836 is a Pro BowlerXetuoh1836 is a Pro Bowler

No, thank you.....next!!
Xetuoh1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #25
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
A fumble machine with the speed of Ron Dayne. I'll pass.
Not that I want Tatum Bell, but do you know anything about him?

He is by far faster than Ron Dayne.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #26
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: '08 Potential RB Thread

If Hart falls to the 3rd Round, I think he would be worth a shot. I also think Jamaal Charles could be worth a 3rd round shot. His problem is fumbling and that can be coached up (see Tiki Barber). JC knows how to run with the zone blocking scheme and he has the breakaway speed to take it to the house.

I would love for the Texans to get a top prospect like McFadden or Slaton but I just think the price will be too high. We need too spend that 1st Round pick on a top FS like Kenny Phillips from The U or the best CB on the board or if somehow Glenn Dorsey can fall to our draft slot (i'd say 8-14th overall) we would be crazy not to take him....but I think that is a pipe dream. I would have no problem going 5 years in a row on DL in the 1st Round....but only for Dorsey.

I think its safe to say that we will have at worst, an opportunity to get a probowl caliber Safety in Phillips in next years draft in the 1st Round.

Dream Scenario: Sign Bill Cowher, Dick LeBeau AND Alan Faneca, Trade for DeAngelo Hall, DRob gets back healthy, we draft Phillips or Dorsey, and we pick up Hart or Charles in the 3rd Round. Instant playoff contender.

Just Imagine Mario - Dorsey - Okoye - Weaver with LeBeau sending blitzes from the corners. I guess I am in dreamland though. With enough $$ it could happen though. No doubt. Tell Cowher that he can have Joe Gibbs money and have him lure Faneca over. Ok, I am going to go take my meds.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-12-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #27
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll find a good running back in the draft. Probably an unknown, much like Chris Taylor.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2007   #28
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Not that I want Tatum Bell, but do you know anything about him?

He is by far faster than Ron Dayne.
I was exaggerating. He is probably faster than Dayne. However, he is in no way a speed machine. From what I've seen, he is pretty sluggish.

Old 11-12-2007   #29
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I was exaggerating. He is probably faster than Dayne. However, he is in no way a speed machine. From what I've seen, he is pretty sluggish.
Yeah he is really slow

Quote:
Emerging talent with a fine combination of size, strength and speed … One of the fastest players in the country, Bell boasts a 4.34 clocking in the 40-yard dash …
http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=35754
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #30
adam
Guero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
For the record, Ron Dayne had a 4.65 time when he was being scouted for the NFL. 40 times rarely give a good deal of insight into what a RB is going to look like. From what I've seen of Tatum Bell, he fumbles chronically and fails to hit the holes with any intensity.

Old 11-13-2007   #31
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which RB?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Lets look at our RBs for next year: Green is still here due to cap cost to cut (4.8M), Taylor should be back, and he is a nice speed size combo guy 5-11 220, Adimchinobi Echemandu 5-10 226,. suddenly the RB position does not look as bad. The problem is injuries, we keep having injuries to these guys.

The if's are will Green stay healthy enough to trust, can Taylor ever get on the roster and not fumble his way off, is Echemandu the real deal or just a 2 quarter flash?

I do not see this team spending big money, nor a high pick on RB if Echu looks solid the rest of the way.

On the other hand, if the team decides they can afford to cut Green, then Taylor and Echu become pieces and I would love to spend a 3rd on a guy like :
Kevin Smith 6-0, 210 4.52 Central Florida
Allen Patrick 5-11, 195 4.45 Oklahoma
Chris Johnson 5-11, 200 4.35 East Carolina
Matt Forte 6-0, 225 4.58 Tulane

None of these guys are Superstars but being apart of a 3 headed monster could go a long way.

I tivoed Kevin Smith UCF, the other night. I doubt he drops into the third round. The positives on him are he is a true beast. The negatives are he is very raw. He likes to dance a bit too much. TBS, if by some mircle he was on the board in the third...you spend ammo to move up and go get him at the top of the third.

He has the chance to be that special. Arm tackles will not bring him down. He has true elite field vision and moves. He's a beast. Doubt he gets through the second round though.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-13-2007 at 12:41 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #32
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Which RB?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I tivoed Kevin Smith UCF, the other night. I doubt he drops into the third round. The positives on him are he is a true beast. The negatives are he is very raw. He likes to dance a bit too much. TBS, if by some mircle he was on the board in the third...you spend ammo to move up and go get him at the top of the third.

He has the chance to be that special. Arm tackles will not bring him down. He has true elite field vision and moves. He's a beast. Doubt he gets through the second round though.
The four guys I mentioned are currently flying below the radar in the early mocks, which we all know are never correct. There are always guys thought to be sure 1st rounder that fall and guys who jump into the mix. Another back I like is Mendenhall, another junior who may come out early. The question we all will not know the answer to for some time is how many Rbs go in the first? McFaddin, Stewart, Slaton, Rice, Jones, someone not on my current radar?

It's funny how many QB and RB get taken in the 1st round in mocks.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #33
Couch Potatoe
Rookie

Jones in FA, Taylor, Green, or a drafted RB is still suspect until you fix the O-line. I still say we need a stud center and see where Spencer is at LT. Then and only then can you run against the good teams. This offense depends on the run so it's crucial to get the O-line fixed for good.

We can't afford to put any more money right now into the D-line. No more high priced FA either.
Couch Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #34
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

y'all knew I'd have to get me some of this

Jones/Holmes are not downhill zone blocking backs. end of discussion.

while they're exceptions to the rule, late rd. picks tend to come with history of nagging/severe injury's. then they have to fit into the scheme/mentality of what Kubiak expects them to do which also includes blocking.

did anyone watch the Green Bay game this weekend when they steam rolled Adrian Peterson's Vikings? He is as good of RB as you'll find, but he was exposed by spreading him out & keeping him from heading North/South. meanwhile this new kid out of nowhere Ryan Grant (The Packers acquired running back Ryan Grant from the New York Giants for an undisclosed future draft pick. Grant, a graduate of Notre Dame, spent the 2005 season on the Giants' practice squad and the 2006 season on injured reserve) rushes for 119 & this helps keep Minnesota off Farve.

the problem is you just can't count on a consistant basis these 2nd tier backs are gonna stay healthy. they have track records which indicate its a flip of the coin how much production you can expect from them in return while floating roster spots in constant flux, not to mention timing with your QB/linemen.

this is why Kubiak/Rick Smith should seriously consider an elite 1st rd. RB who fits their system if available. otherwise pass on a talent like Jonathan Stewart & regret it for the next 10 years

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #35
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't say that I'm surprised that it's not even December yet and we're already talking about April.

Having said that, I think that we should take the first RB that comes our way that's over 6'3 and 300 pounds. A RB like Joe Thomas is in Cleveland. I was heartbroken when my man-crush didn't slip to us at 10. Levi Brown was even gone by then.

McFadden and Slaton will probably be gone in the top 3 (and I don't think we'll be picking there anyway) so we need to draft the top LT on the board.

Tatum Bell might not be the next Earl Campbell, but he's better than any of the bottom-feeders we have right now.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

07 Texans/traded/waived RB production-

Ron Dayne 348 yds 3.5 avg. 2 td (ribs)

Ahman Green 260 yds 3.7 avg. 2 td (ankle/Knee)

Vernand Morency 70 yds 4.1 avg. 0 td (traded GB/knee)

Adimchinobe Echemandu 68 yds 5.7 avg. 0 td (thigh/hamstring)

Samkon Gado 46 yds 2.6 avg. 1 td (waived/Dolphins)

Jameel Cook 24 yds 3.0 avg. 0 td (off PUP)

Vonta Leach 1 yd 1.0 avg. 0 td (re-signed 07)

Chris Taylor 0 yds 0 avg. 0 td (IR Knee)

committed to the run? effective? what if Chris Taylor comes back? what if Ahman can stay healthy? what if Echemandu is the real deal? what if Pigs can what if Jonathan Stewart comes out & is sitting there in the 1st rd. when the Texans pick? what do y'all think beerlover does if the Texans pass on him?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #37
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
If Hart falls to the 3rd Round, I think he would be worth a shot. I also think Jamaal Charles could be worth a 3rd round shot. His problem is fumbling and that can be coached up (see Tiki Barber). JC knows how to run with the zone blocking scheme and he has the breakaway speed to take it to the house.
I'll eat my hat if Jamaal declares early. Only 2 players have ever done so at UT under Mack Brown.

If Mike Hart falls to the 3rd, then I'm all for that.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #38
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm surprised Michael Turner hasn't been mentioned, what's his situation in San Diego going to be after the season?
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007   #39
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
I'm surprised Michael Turner hasn't been mentioned, what's his situation in San Diego going to be after the season?
Turner will be an unrestricted free agent. Unless he's franchise tagged by the Bolts. Which is unlikely.
Old 11-13-2007   #40
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Turner will be a FA after the season and looking for a $30-40 mil deal for 5-6 years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read