Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-10-2007   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 08 mock

not my mock, but I do like it alot. addresses alot...which of course we need.

(Dallas trades #29 overall to Houston for a 2009 1st round pick)

Rd. 1
9. Houston- Kenny Phillips S Miami FL- Houston loves that Phillips fell to him and he will help out this up and coming defense

29. Houston (From DAL)- Steve Slaton RB West Virginia- Houston trades up and there RB of the future to take pressure off Schaub and Johnson

Rd. 2
no pick (Schaub trade)

Rd. 3
73. Houston- Chris Williams T Vanderbilt

Rd. 4
105. Houston- Jack Ikegwuonu CB Wisconsin

Rd. 5
137. Houston- Darius Reynaud WR West Virginia

Rd. 6
169. Houston- Malik Jackson OLB Louisville

Rd. 7
201. Houston- Keilen Dykes DT West Virginia

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=171689
Old 11-10-2007   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: 08 mock

What are we giving up to get the 2nd 1st round pick?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #3
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
What are we giving up to get the 2nd 1st round pick?
nExt year's first rounder... or '09s... yeah that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
nExt year's first rounder... or '09s... yeah that one...
I wouldn't give up a future 1st to get Slaton. I'd rather take my chances later in the draft considering this is one of the deepest RB drafts in recent history
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #5
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'm into making mocks as much as the next guy, but man, how can someone have the time to make such an in-depth offseason thing like that.

also i just can't anticipate Miami drafting 3 LSU defensive players on day one.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #6
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

west virginia fan or what
Old 11-10-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not bad but I'd rather take Jonathan Stewart with the 1st pick and if we HAD to make that trade, I'd take Reggie Smith to play FS/CB for us.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2007   #8
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Not bad but I'd rather take Jonathan Stewart with the 1st pick and if we HAD to make that trade, I'd take Reggie Smith to play FS/CB for us.
Agreed: And if beerlover is over in the other thread raving about the Wisconsin guy, he's not going to last untill the forth round. You can book it. Happens every draft. The mockers have waaaay too many WR and RB high and not enough of the three hole grails. Get the QB, protect the QB, Defend the QB. Corner, elilte pass rushers and OLTs who breath and show the romate hope of covering the QBs blind side, will move past their counter parts on the board when the acutal draft happens. Makes sense. If there is a herd of WRs on the board why would you spend ten million when you can prety much get the same thing for 800 k ? See Troy Williamson Minnesota.
Old 11-11-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

See waaaay too many recievers in this mock. Folks picking with their hearts and not their brains. I know to day, right now there are at least three teams that must have , must mind you, an OLT to put fannies in the seats and keep thier franchise QB up right. They only got one going off the board in the first ? Doesn't work like that.

Quote:
2. St. Louis- Calais Campbell DE Miami FL- They are missing Orlando Pace but the biggest problem is that d-line because they can't get any pressure, they grab a freak of an athlete in Campbell to get some sacks
Yeah right. Pace is down and the line is holding back the greatest show on turff and the Rams are going to gamble that they find an OLT in the second round ? An elite OLT who needs no help on a three second block for a double move pattern ? Ok, I got it. So tell me again how much cap they have invested in that offense ?

They are not going to gamble that Clady somehow makes into the second and no one of the other three who covet them, isn't going to make a deal to snatch one of only seven prospects who have a chance, chance mind you, of making the jump from college to the pros. Under this neat little scenario somone jumps up in the second and leaves St. Louis scatching something as to what went wrong. I have seen no pass rushers in this class worth sixty to seventy million. Sorry I don't see it.

The other little problem is why would Dallas give up two for one when they have Reggie Smith by this own mockers mock still on the board ? Why would JJ over pay for a Fs over CB ? Because he just loves the Texan's ? oK.

Tommy Blake will not be drafted now. He is having a crisis in faith. No one is going to take the guy if he doesn't know what he is going to do with his future. There is a lot of stuff wrong with this effort. The pregame shows are on and I don't have the time. It looks as though you put a lot of pre season stuff together and mocked by that. A lot of things have changed since august.

And I don't know how to break this to some...this HC is not under any circumtances going to take a RB from a spread offense. I can see where beerlover is coming from with Stewart. I could see the South Carolina valcano here. But I can garuntee you Kubes is not going to take a little guy with questionable hands and no known bolcking skills for his offense. He ain't going to do it.
Not going to do it this draft, nor next year, not ever. Spread RB is a non starter in this offene. I don't care what kind of numbers he has.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-11-2007 at 10:23 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #10
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
And I don't know how to break this to some...this HC is not under any circumtances going to take a RB from a spread offense. I can see where beerlover is coming from with Stewart. I could see the South Carolina valcano here. But I can garuntee you Kubes is not going to take a little guy with questionable hands and no known bolcking skills for his offense. He ain't going to do it.Not going to do it this draft, nor next year, not ever. Spread RB is a non starter in this offene. I don't care what kind of numbers he has.
TTP, I hope you're right about this. I might not mind getting Phillips with the 9th pick (if that's where we pick), but I sure wouldn't be happy if we managed to get another late 1st round pick and used it to get Slanton. I don't know much about Slanton except what I've read. WalterFootball.com has him listed as 5'10", 195 lbs, with a 4.42 forty. They say he is "great at catching the ball out of the backfield." Sounds like a smaller version of Reggie Bush to me, and if that's the case, I'd rather use that pick on somebody else. Like a LT. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #11
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i don't think Slaton has the tendency to use those finesse moves as much as Bush. he's more of a straightline runner.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #12
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

How hard is it to know the difference between resigns/re-signs and to/too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
And I don't know how to break this to some...this HC is not under any circumtances going to take a RB from a spread offense. I can see where beerlover is coming from with Stewart. I could see the South Carolina valcano here. But I can garuntee you Kubes is not going to take a little guy with questionable hands and no known bolcking skills for his offense. He ain't going to do it.
Not going to do it this draft, nor next year, not ever. Spread RB is a non starter in this offene. I don't care what kind of numbers he has.
yeah the Texans don't need this

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #14
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
yeah the Texans don't need this

Beerlover,
Are you seriously saying you would rather have a cut, muscular, speedy powerful 230lb back like Stewart over a soft, slow, gooey 245lb tap dancing back like this?!

Surely you jest sir!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #15
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Don't like the trading of next year's pick to get Slaton.

But I do like Phillips and love getting Reynaud in the 5th.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71724 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by V Man View Post
Don't like the trading of next year's pick to get Slaton.

But I do like Phillips and love getting Reynaud in the 5th.
Personally, I dont want Slaton on this team.

Maybe he pans out in the pros, but I just dont like his game for our team.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Beerlover,
Are you seriously saying you would rather have a cut, muscular, speedy powerful 230lb back like Stewart over a soft, slow, gooey 245lb tap dancing back like this?!

Surely you jest sir!
I'm saying the time to strike is now. if Stewart is there why/how could the Texans pass on a chance @ a special back? the idea of rb by committee is over, once we have the back keep the younger guys with upside around for depth & workload as it stands the Texans baseline for talent @ the RB position for a team that stresses the run is a

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #18
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Personally, I dont want Slaton on this team.

Maybe he pans out in the pros, but I just dont like his game for our team.
I think we are agree on this.
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #19
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Slaton will surely be gone by the 29th pick; he's arguably the 2nd best back in this draft so i figure someone else will get him before then. & if they pick another defensive player in the 1st, I think i'm going to go nuts.

Sure we need a couple of pieces on Defense, but we've been needing help on the o-line since we've existed & we haven't had a "real" franchise RB either.

I really think that most of the core peices for the defense are there, we just need to continue to develop them We've made pretty good strides from 05' to now on defense, lets get this offense up to the point where we can keep up with the top offenses so as to take a little pressure off of our defense, where we can pin our ears back a little & get after the QB.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #20
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I would have liked the Kenny Phillips selection a couple weeks ago but now since Dunta is out and just thinking about how we don't have a nickel corner etiher I am in favor of drafting a CB in the first round. There are alot of guys we could choose from in the first round.

I really like Mike Jenkins. He is very smooth and has alot of speed. He also seems to have that lockdown mentality; he plays with alot of fire and doesn't seem to ever give up on plays.

Oh ya, and on the Slaton pick, while I don't like the trade, might work. He is much different from Green and Dayne and could give us another explosive offensive player. While Slaton reminds me of Reggie Bush, he doesn't go for that homerun everytime, he actually runs in between the tackles quite effectively because of how fast he gets down field.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read