Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2007   #1
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Somebody explain practice to me

from the public practices All I see is a bunch of guys getting millions of dollars running around going through motions. Afte the miserable Atlanta game I would have had a hellacious practice every day till the next game. Is it a rule to treat these guys like royalty while they are spending your money and blowing games like San Diego. When I was in high school We had a hard week after a loss which is why we did not lose very often.
Old 11-08-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Somebody explain practice to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
from the public practices All I see is a bunch of guys getting millions of dollars running around going through motions. Afte the miserable Atlanta game I would have had a hellacious practice every day till the next game. Is it a rule to treat these guys like royalty while they are spending your money and blowing games like San Diego. When I was in high school We had a hard week after a loss which is why we did not lose very often.
Dude, seriously?

On a side note, is it the bye week that is causing this (this being this rash of odd threads and even odder view points)?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Joe, we practiced hard, with pads EVERY week. Win or lose!! But a) its a buy week, walk-thru's help with recovery - and b) Thats a lot of money invested to have someone get hurt in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
On a side note, is it the bye week that is causing this (this being this rash of odd threads and even odder view points)?
YUP!! Thats why I started that ridiculous thread about BSPN's grades for the halfway point of the season.
Old 11-08-2007   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude I have never seen them in pads so I figure they are doing the same thing, and doing it in the bubble when it is hot.

I would have them outside for the whole day in the heat every day after atlanta
Old 11-08-2007   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

So you want to take an injury riddled team and run them into the ground to punish them?

FYI--Shanahan and Kubiak are known for less impact practices concentrating more on the schemes and execution. An extra few hard reps isn't going to improve their conditioning, but them nowing the game plan and opponent by heart can provide a whole lot more return with not having TO's, getting TO's and keeping drives alive.

They do practice in pads some--you have just missed those days.
Old 11-08-2007   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude I have never seen them in pads so I figure they are doing the same thing, and doing it in the bubble when it is hot.
Most teams practice more without pads during the season, weather they are the 0-8 Dolphins or the 9-0 Patriots.

Quote:
I would have them outside for the whole day in the heat every day after atlanta
And then when they get run the next week cause your practice methods allowed no time for recovery and left them drained before the game you'd be fired as a head coach.

You cannot compare high school practice methods to the NFL.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #7
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

I know but a hard practice conditions them more than a book reading. And from the way these guys play it looks like they do not practice sometimes. Just want a little insite on how an nfl practice goes during the season. I have been in the bubble during the season and they looked like they did at training camp
Old 11-08-2007   #8
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The game has change a lot over the years.

I have said this several times. The players playing today probably couldn't cut it 20 or so years ago and vice versa for the players 20 or so years ago playing today. Perfect example, you can't tell me a chain smoking Jack Lambert would be successful in the NFL today. Please take note, I am not diminishing anyone's achievements.

The physical nature of the game, conditions, and medical treatment has changed so much over the past few years. Players of today are finely tuned instruments and highly instructive schemes are required to be successful to win ball games. Whereas 20 to 30 years ago, it was pretty straight up smash mouth football to see who was tougher.

Times have changed, the game has changed, and so has practice conditions and scheduling of practices.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think players today could cut it 30 years ago, especially considering the rules in place back then. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger today and they condition themselves 12 months a year.

I'd love to see the '07 Patriots against the '78 Steelers, though. Maybe one half of yesterday's rules and the other half today's rules. Interesting stuff for fan discussion.
Old 11-08-2007   #10
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

"we're talking about practice."
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #11
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Wasn't there some theory that the tough preseason with Capers was causing the players to wear out when the real games started?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Are we talking about the game?
Old 11-09-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

We're talking about practice?
Old 11-09-2007   #14
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Mostly I agree with lite workouts during the bye week, but given the tackling problems I've been seeing, I think we could use a day of full pads for some tackling technique practice. You just can't practice that in short & shoulders.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read