Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-08-2007   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Studdard, Frye, White

Can someone tell me how are young OL guys are doing? I rarely get a chance to see them. Does it look like any of them will be able to step up and be the answer at their respective positions?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Studdard, Frye, White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Can someone tell me how are young OL guys are doing? I rarely get a chance to see them. Does it look like any of them will be able to step up and be the answer at their respective positions?
White has been the only one to see any PT. He's done just as well as Flanny, if not better.

Studdard has a pulled Hamstring or groin.

Frye has been moved up to the roster as a swing tackle, but has yet to see any time on the field.
Old 11-08-2007   #3
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
White has been the only one to see any PT. He's done just as well as Flanny, if not better.

Studdard has a pulled Hamstring or groin.

Frye has been moved up to the roster as a swing tackle, but has yet to see any time on the field.
Well at least that's one less position for us to draft! Now we just need an RB, LT, CB1, FS, OLB, and pass rushing DE!!!
Old 11-08-2007   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well at least that's one less position for us to draft! Now we just need an RB, LT, CB1, FS, OLB, and pass rushing DE!!!
I can agree with that. Maybe not exactly in that order. I'd add a Center too.

Oh heck, we need alot.
Old 11-08-2007   #5
Couch Potatoe
Rookie

What's the status on Spencer? Is he coming back this year?
Couch Potatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potatoe View Post
No, he'll be in camp for next season.
Old 11-08-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Potatoe View Post
They have to either have him start practicing next week (and there have been no indications they will do so) or they have to place him on IR. If they do practice him, they have three weeks for practice and then must either activate him to the roster or put him on IR.
Old 11-08-2007   #8
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I can agree with that. Maybe not exactly in that order. I'd add a Center too.

Oh heck, we need alot.
Wait, I thought White was playing Center now??
Old 11-08-2007   #9
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

While I haven't seen White get many snaps, I really hope that the coaching staff gets him more involved the second half of the season. The coaches raved about this guy in the off-season and all indications are that he has held his own in the limited action seen. The drop-off at center since Steve went down has been noticeable, so I am not sure that we lose too much by getting this guy in the mix.

If White were to prove able to assume the starters responsibilities, we have a lot of options going into next season. Studdard and Frye both needed a season to grow and learn the professional level, but both of these guys, together with Spencer's return gives us another three young guys with the opportunity to solidify this line. Despite popular thought, we have drafted young talent at this spot, but the OL players take some time to develop and injuries have hurt us, so hopefully with a year of seasoning at the professional level, one or two of these guys prove to be worth the draft pick. I don't know anything about Frye, but I did see Studdard play for four years at UT and I believe that he has what it takes to push for playing time.

You have to believe we either bring in a solid veteran OR use a first day pick to bring in one more body, so with White - that would be five new players to fix one of the weakest links on this team.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiack said about two weeks ago that Spencer would not be back this season.

Well now is the time to shake things up if they are going to do it. Both with the offense and defense. If they stand pat, they are playing for draft order and choices. The problem is at this point, they are guessing at what they do have in the o-line guys. It's very educated guess. But they need some snaps. If for nothing else to find out what is and is not a critical need of '08.
Old 11-08-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
While I haven't seen White get many snaps, I really hope that the coaching staff gets him more involved the second half of the season. The coaches raved about this guy in the off-season and all indications are that he has held his own in the limited action seen. The drop-off at center since Steve went down has been noticeable, so I am not sure that we lose too much by getting this guy in the mix.

If White were to prove able to assume the starters responsibilities, we have a lot of options going into next season. Studdard and Frye both needed a season to grow and learn the professional level, but both of these guys, together with Spencer's return gives us another three young guys with the opportunity to solidify this line. Despite popular thought, we have drafted young talent at this spot, but the OL players take some time to develop and injuries have hurt us, so hopefully with a year of seasoning at the professional level, one or two of these guys prove to be worth the draft pick. I don't know anything about Frye, but I did see Studdard play for four years at UT and I believe that he has what it takes to push for playing time.

You have to believe we either bring in a solid veteran OR use a first day pick to bring in one more body, so with White - that would be five new players to fix one of the weakest links on this team.
Wait, wait, wait. No one has said Spencer will be back next year let alone this year. They are hopeful he will return next season, but that injury may keep him from being an effective LT if he can play at all. We seem to keep forgetting he has basically 2 games NFL experience. Sure he looked good those few plays, but do we risk Carr, er Schaub? White may win starter by end of this season but again nothing has shown that as a "gimme". I did not see last game but some said Flannagan played well. As most of you know, I am not his fan, but White has not shown much so far. I can not see LT not being addressed during draft, even if we knew C.S. was going to play LT in 08. I agree we have to pick up another solid LT in Free Agency (but who?) and imo 1st round. I have see some info that Baker may drop into 10-14 area.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #12
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

White looked stellar against San Diego. (despite the outcome) He came in during the first quarter when Flannigan went down with a head injury. He doesn't get much attention as the third string Center but I was very surprised to see Flannigan back under center for the Raider game. I thought it was apparent that White had done a much better job. Kubiak is a fan of Flannigan so I think Chris White has some challenges to overcome to break into that starting spot. Furthermore, Flannigan is said to have played "his best game thusfar" during that Raider game so if nothing else, maybe White will at least push Flannigan to give a hoot about his position.

Studdard would be playing if his hamstring issue hadn't come up at such a bad time. He would be getting reps for sure. Starting? I don't know, but reps for sure.

Frye, we'll see. I don't know how he fits in vs. Jordan Black but as far as I know he's the backup. I think as a swing you're the 3rd Tackle that suits and that's all that you have on game day. He seemed to go from obscurity to swing status somewhere in the last two or three weeks. We'll see how that develops.

Keep in mind as well that Pitts and Weary are only in their 6th year. The line is VERY young as a whole.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Wait, wait, wait. No one has said Spencer will be back next year let alone this year. They are hopeful he will return next season, but that injury may keep him from being an effective LT if he can play at all. We seem to keep forgetting he has basically 2 games NFL experience. Sure he looked good those few plays, but do we risk Carr, er Schaub? White may win starter by end of this season but again nothing has shown that as a "gimme". I did not see last game but some said Flannagan played well. As most of you know, I am not his fan, but White has not shown much so far. I can not see LT not being addressed during draft, even if we knew C.S. was going to play LT in 08. I agree we have to pick up another solid LT in Free Agency (but who?) and imo 1st round. I have see some info that Baker may drop into 10-14 area.
You are not going to find an OLT in free agency who's price tag isn't dear. You can forget that one. There is a wave currently going on at OLT in the NFL. Old gerneration out. New generation in. Just hope we are sitting on a good one when the music quits playing. Been some good prospects the last three drafts. Be another good class this year. Doesn't mean it will always be that way.
Old 11-08-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You are not going to find an OLT in free agency who's price tag isn't dear. You can forget that one. There is a wave currently going on at OLT in the NFL. Old gerneration out. New generation in. Just hope we are sitting on a good one when the music quits playing. Been some good prospects the last three drafts. Be another good class this year. Doesn't mean it will always be that way.
I agree 100%, but when I said that in another thread I was soundly attacked.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #15
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble DT, but we will still need to get a Center in the Draft, FA or Trade (I prefer Draft myself). If White is the answer at Center that's great, but I don't think Flanagan will be back next year, due to his age (14th season), not being a good run blocker and being slow. McKinney may be back next season, but if he is, will he be as good? It will be his 12th year, so he has to be slowing down some, even if he didn't injure himself.

We need to start grooming a young stud Center in there in case McKinney and Flanagan don't come back next year. If they do come back, and that's a big IF at this point, we can always put the young Center on the Practice Squad. I know there's a risk of losing them, but at this point, I seriously doubt both McKinney and Flanagan will be back to play next year at 100%. I just don't see it. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #16
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
TTP, if we don't trade back and get extra picks, and say we get Stewart (or CB) in the 1st round, I'm thinking there will be some good LT's still out there on the board. Personally, I wouldn't mind them getting that hoss you brought up on another thread, Heath Benedict. He's flying low under the radar now, but come Combine time, he may shoot up the boards and out of range for us.

If we follow this scenario, it still leaves us without a Center or finding one in later rounds, and I think finding a Center this Offseason is as important as getting a LT. Most good Centers are usually gone by the middle of the 3rd round. So to me, it seems that it will be critical this Offseason, to find a way to pickup a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder, so we can get that "stud Center" we need and still get a good LT. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
White looked stellar against San Diego. (despite the outcome) He came in during the first quarter when Flannigan went down with a head injury. He doesn't get much attention as the third string Center but I was very surprised to see Flannigan back under center for the Raider game.
You shouldn't have been surprised. The Texans have a history of not starting the best players they have available on the offensive line. It is part of the team culture, and a big part of the continuing o-line problems.

They probably need to fix that.
Old 11-08-2007   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Flannagan knows the offense a lot better than Chris White. It's as simple as that. Add to that the fact that Rosenfels and Schaub are a lot more accustomed to taking the snap from Flannagan than from White.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #19
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble DT, but we will still need to get a Center in the Draft, FA or Trade (I prefer Draft myself). If White is the answer at Center that's great, but I don't think Flanagan will be back next year, due to his age (14th season), not being a good run blocker and being slow. McKinney may be back next season, but if he is, will he be as good? It will be his 12th year, so he has to be slowing down some, even if he didn't injure himself.

We need to start grooming a young stud Center in there in case McKinney and Flanagan don't come back next year. If they do come back, and that's a big IF at this point, we can always put the young Center on the Practice Squad. I know there's a risk of losing them, but at this point, I seriously doubt both McKinney and Flanagan will be back to play next year at 100%. I just don't see it. JMHO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
TTP,If we follow this scenario, it still leaves us without a Center or finding one in later rounds, and I think finding a Center this Offseason is as important as getting a LT. Most good Centers are usually gone by the middle of the 3rd round. So to me, it seems that it will be critical this Offseason, to find a way to pickup a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder, so we can get that "stud Center" we need and still get a good LT. JMHO!

Are ya'll not paying attention?!? This kid is gonna be great! I think there is some truth to the fact that his playbook knowledge may be limited, not to mention that Flannigan has his spot in Kubiak's eye. But Flannigan is 86 years old... and SUCKS! McKinney will be back next year and White will be competing for that job. I guarantee it!
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #20
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Yeah, I'm not sure about White. TBH, I thought he played okay against SD, but wasn't blown away. He has to call the protections, and his inexperience could hurt there. If Flannagan had had a poor game against the Raiders, I'm sure we would have seen the kid. But we're still in "win" mode, not fall 40-man mode yet.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read