Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Stats after our 9th week

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Just for grins, here we go again. Stats are relative to last weeks post. Also, something that I was posting might have been misleading. I was posting as an overall ranking the yards per game for both offense and defense (which a lot of folks use as a yardmark). This week I am correcting that so it is more meaningful.

Offense

11th avg yrds per game (down a position)
Rushing 21st (up 9 positions thanks to Oakland’s poor defense)
Passing 3rd (up 1 position)
Scoring 11th (down 1 position)

Defense

15th avg yrds per game (up two positions)
Rushing 27th (down 7 positions)
Passing 22nd (down 6 positions)
Scoring 26th (up 1 position)

Just for grins, here we go again. Stats are relative to last weeks post. Also, something that I was posting might have been misleading. I was posting as an overall ranking the yards per game for both offense and defense (which a lot of folks use as a yardmark). This week I am correcting that so it is more meaningful.

Offense

Defense

............So our secondary is the brightest spot on our defense huh?

Offense

Defense

I dont know where you found these but NFL.com has us:

Offense
Scoring - 22.6 (11)
Total Yards - 346.0 (11)
Passing - 254.7 (6)
Rushing - 91.3 (27)

Defense
Scoring - 25.1 (26)
Total Yards - 327.7 (15)
Passing - 203.4 (11)
Rushing - 124.2 (21)

I was getting them from espn's site. When i get home tonight I'll compare the two sites. Espn has to collumns for each stat, for instance total yards and yards averaged. Some teams have played nine games so far, and some have only played eight. That might skew the results a little if you don't use the average yards per game, which is what I was using.

But, I don't know why they are different.

Offense
Scoring - 22.6 (11)
Total Yards - 346.0 (11)
Passing - 254.7 (6)
Rushing - 91.3 (27)

Defense
Scoring - 25.1 (26)
Total Yards - 327.7 (15)
Passing - 203.4 (11)
Rushing - 124.2 (21)

That's an interesting stat for a team that is thought to have a "terrible secondary."

Also, for those of you who don't think the team has improved any, here are our stats at the end of the 2006 year:

Offense
Scoring- 16.7 (28th)
Total Yards- 279.1 (28th)
Passing- 173.6 (27th)
Rushing- 105.4 (21st)

Defense
Scoring- 22.9 (7th)
Total yards- 337.5 (24th)
Passing- 215.2 (22nd)
Rushing- 122.2 (20th)

I guess if you break it all down, on Offense, our passing game has improved alot but the running game still needs help. Most of the problems there, I think, are due to losing McKinney, Spencer not coming back, and not having Green the whole season. I think this is where (O-Line & RB) Kubes and Smith will be focused the most during the Offseason.

As for the Defense, though the stats show it is about the same as last year, I think it is slowly improving. We have to remember, this is a very young group and I think it will get much better with time. One problem I do see is replacing Dunta. I have no idea how long it will take him to recover, but they need to address this for sure in the Offseason. JMHO!

I think I've found the problem. The stats on ESPN and NFL.com match, but the stats this evening are different from when I did them. That means ESPN didn't have all their stats updated when I pulled them.

So, now I know to wait another day or so if I am going to use ESPN's site to get the stats. The NFL site is much more complete and has more to look at, but is also a bit more complicated. Likewise, ESPN's site is much easier to use, but has less stats and might be a tad later getting them out.

I apologize if I might have mislead anyone, as I didn't realize all this before.

This is what confuses me the most about some of the people already calling for Kubiak's head. I mean our offense has improved significantly with three key areas lacking: OL, RB, and Andre Johnson. And isn't the offense supposed to be Kubiak's specialty? So perhaps we are being a little harsh on him that our defense is not doing a better job. Also, Kubes still has some learning to do. All he has been his entire career is an offensive coordinator. To think he is going to learn how to handle the defense and manage an entire team in just a season is asking a bit much. All I want is to continue seeing progress. It's a heck of a lot more than we saw under Capers.:texflag:

Offense
Scoring - 22.6 (11)
Total Yards - 346.0 (11)
Passing - 254.7 (6)
Rushing - 91.3 (27)

Defense
Scoring - 25.1 (26)
Total Yards - 327.7 (15)
Passing - 203.4 (11)
Rushing - 124.2 (21)

You have got to take into the account how many points we have gone down by early in games. Teams other than the Patriots don't throw the ball when they are up 20 points.

You have got to take into the account how many points we have gone down by early in games. Teams other than the Patriots don't throw the ball when they are up 20 points.

So far, I can really only think of the JAX and the TEN and SD games where we wen't down really big pretty fast.

If you look at last season, it's not nearly as bad now (Going down big really fast).

So far, I can really only think of the JAX and the TEN and SD games where we wen't down really big pretty fast.

If you look at last season, it's not nearly as bad now (Going down big really fast).

It could be worse. But that's still 3 out of 9.

To explain it look at Denver:
Ranked 8th against the pass but they are SOOO pathetic agains the run (average giving up 161 ypg) that it drops them all the way down to 26th overall...

In short, there are 3 different factors.
Yards rushing against + Yards passing against + 31 other teams (where the first 2 vary for each team) = different results

Given that: just because you rank 20th against one and 10th against the other - doesn't mean you will be 15th overall.

Just some more stats:

We are 25th in how many attempts per game the opposing QB throws. #1 is the Vikings at 40.5, #32 is the Dolphins 24.1 attempts per game. The Dolphins have a horrible passing defense and they are 6th in giving up passing yards per game @ 188.8 yards. The thing is their rushing defense has been so bad that teams don't bother throwing at them.

We are at 30.6 Attempts per game, again rated 25th, and we are 11th in passing yards per game with 203.4. We are 24 in giving up 20+ yard passing gainers with 25 of them. We are in the middle of the pack when it comes to +40 yard passes with 4 of them.

Like (I think) ATL had (has?) one of the "best pass rush defenses." Heard that during most of the first half of the season.

You know, after this weekend we will probably move up in total defense and down on offense. Keep in mind we have played one more game than the majority of teams out there.

Back