Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-07-2008   #161
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dunta News

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
so do you, Mr. GM, redo his deal now ? inquiring mind wish to know ? or franchise him in '09 ?
This is why I'm glad I'm just some know-nothing, no-responsibility-having guy in an anonymous forum. I'd hate to have to make that decision.

If we re-do his deal now, then what if he turns into Domanick Davis? If he can't get back to the field this year (which could happen), then we may not have to franchise him to keep him because no one else may make him that good an offer. If we draft a couple of CB's this year and they turn out, that might allow us to part ways with him unless he wants to play here for a reasonable salary. If the CB's we've picked up don't work out, then we make him a deal or go shopping somewhere else.

If he does come back and he does play up to his old standard (or better), then we can try to re-sign him and if that doesn't work out, then we franchise him if it doesn't look like we have a replacement that can perform up to the same level.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #162
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally id sign him for one more year to a contract similar to the one he is on now, with the understanding that he sits out this year, and if he comes out the next year looking like his old self, he gets his payday.

Either that..or i give him his payday with some kind of clause to protect ourselves from a less than full recovery.

i dunno..its a tough situation.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #163
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is why I'm glad I'm just some know-nothing, no-responsibility-having guy in an anonymous forum. I'd hate to have to make that decision.

If we re-do his deal now, then what if he turns into Domanick Davis? If he can't get back to the field this year (which could happen), then we may not have to franchise him to keep him because no one else may make him that good an offer. If we draft a couple of CB's this year and they turn out, that might allow us to part ways with him unless he wants to play here for a reasonable salary. If the CB's we've picked up don't work out, then we make him a deal or go shopping somewhere else.

If he does come back and he does play up to his old standard (or better), then we can try to re-sign him and if that doesn't work out, then we franchise him if it doesn't look like we have a replacement that can perform up to the same level.
I've been saying it for a while, he is better or just as good as Clements and will be looking for the same type of deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 million a year. We lose nothing by slapping the tag on him next year to see what he can do except one years worth of salary. If he is just as good, pay the man, if not, we part ways. Next year we will have the cap room to be able to do something like that.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #164
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I've been saying it for a while, he is better or just as good as Clements and will be looking for the same type of deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 million a year. We lose nothing by slapping the tag on him next year to see what he can do except one years worth of salary. If he is just as good, pay the man, if not, we part ways. Next year we will have the cap room to be able to do something like that.
You are going to pay him top 5 money coming off an injury? I like Dunta but no way do I franchise him.

Last edited by badboy; 04-07-2008 at 04:06 PM.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #165
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been saying it for a while, he is better or just as good as Clements and will be looking for the same type of deal, somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 million a year.
He isn't going to command top tier money like that without ever having gone to a pro-bowl.
Old 04-07-2008   #166
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He isn't going to command top tier money like that without ever having gone to a pro-bowl.
Exactly. DR may have been as important to Texans as Nate was to his team but can't compare the two players.
Old 04-07-2008   #167
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You are going to pay him top 5 money coming off an injury? I like Dunta but no way do I franchise him.
Well, it's better than committing to him long term if you're unsure of his health. If we are in good cap shape next year, I think Transition tag (top 8) is rather likely if he hasn't regained his form.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-07-2008   #168
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
so do you, Mr. GM, redo his deal now ? inquiring mind wish to know ? or franchise him in '09 ?
Dunta and I would need to talk. This is the last year of his contract, right? I would work with him on an extension (one maybe two years), with a respectful increase. That gives me next year (and the year after if I can get two yrs out of him) to see if he's back to stud CB level. Then we talk about redoing the big "franchise-level" deal when the extension expires.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #169
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Technicality. If he would not have gotten hurt last year he was on his way and any good agent would immediately point that out. Not to mention he should have went his rookie season. As an agent I would also be quick to point out that playing on a defense that is consistently in the bottom 5 would be hurting my client and why would he want to stay here? And he has played his entire career as a Texan with no help on the other side except his rookie season.

Then you could roll out the stat wagon and compare DRobs to Clements and Samuel. Very comparable except for INT's but DRob specialty is knocking people out.

Lets also not forget his mentoring skills. Did you happen to catch that Bennett lays it out there like DRob? Who do you think taught him to do that? DRob is the attitude to this D and as a fan base we have kind of taken him for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
Exactly. DR may have been as important to Texans as Nate was to his team but can't compare the two players.
Sure you can.
This is clements stats for his 06 season that landed the big contract.
I am also going to throw in DRobs 06 stats.

Clements: 70 tackles, 54 solo, 16 PD, 3 int, 1 TD
DRob: 82 tackles, 69 solo, 10 PD, 2INT, 1 TD

I will even throw in Samuel 06 numbers

Samuel: 64 tackles, 59 solo, 14 PD, 10 INt,
His last year in NE he dropped in both tackle and INT's.

I know stats are not everything but that is how players get paid. DRob is a top 5 CB. Unless someone can prove me wrong. If you can please name 5 better CB's than DRob and say why and back it up.

DRob is suffering the same illness AJ is, he has played on a crap team his whole career with limited media exposure.

Old 04-07-2008   #170
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Technicality. If he would not have gotten hurt last year he was on his way and any good agent would immediately point that out.
I agree with a lot of what you've said. I do think Dunta was on his way to a Pro Bowl year. Or at least a Pro Bowl snub. But, he did get hurt. And that's why it would be foolish to re-sign Robinson to a long-term contract until he's proven that he's back to what he was.
Old 04-07-2008   #171
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

This Dunta love has me wanting to go buy his jersey. Don't have it yet.

Dunta is easily a top 5 CB in the league. I'll put him at three. I just sat back and thought about the stud he is and how we are lucky to have him. Hoping he has a full, 100% recovery and can come back at the Texans full strength.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #172
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I agree with a lot of what you've said. I do think Dunta was on his way to a Pro Bowl year. Or at least a Pro Bowl snub. But, he did get hurt. And that's why it would be foolish to re-sign Robinson to a long-term contract until he's proven that he's back to what he was.
Your absolutely right. I wouldn't give him a long term deal either at this point, but I would put the franchise tag on him. Its only one year and we would be paying him top 5 CB money anyway if he didn't get hurt.

But a long term deal after an injury? No. I am hoping we learned our lesson with Gary Walker.

Old 04-08-2008   #173
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Why in the world would Dunta renegotiate his current terms to re-sign for two years? The expectation on the next contract is to command the bonus up front. If he does come back, and is close to form, then he is in better shape when is contract ends next year than re-signing with a peanut bonus and then risk injury the following year.

There is always a possibility of fuzzy math being used, but I just do not see Dunta re-signing being good for him this year.
Old 04-08-2008   #174
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Why in the world would Dunta renegotiate his current terms to re-sign for two years? The expectation on the next contract is to command the bonus up front. If he does come back, and is close to form, then he is in better shape when is contract ends next year than re-signing with a peanut bonus and then risk injury the following year.

There is always a possibility of fuzzy math being used, but I just do not see Dunta re-signing being good for him this year.
Agreed. Both sides should wait to see how he heals and how he does on field last part of the year. With Bennett, Reeves and a solid CB draft pick, the burden is on Dunte to show what he can do. I would expect Smith and Kubes to tell him repeatedly during the next season he is expected to end his career here & will be taken care of as others have been. I would not compare Clemmons and DR careers. DR started off well. So did Spencer, Ahman Green and Matt Schaub. There is plenty of time to deal with DR. Don't panic. If we are going to make up scenarios like DR going to probowl, I could say Bennett will be even better and Reeves will excell in our system.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read