Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2007   #81
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Williams is NOT a bust after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Your ad hominem attacks don't do much to demonstrate your knowledge of football either. Or is "people who perceive things differently or come to different conclusions than me are ignorant" the best argument you have?

Try attacking the opinion, not the debater.
runner you are right..ignorant opinion.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #82
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
runner you are right..ignorant opinion.
Well, I kind of meant to attack the opinion with facts and logic, but I guess this is the level it will be remain.
Old 11-06-2007   #83
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
32 teams passed on DeMeco Ryans. I guaran-fricken-tee you that if anyone would have known beforehand what kind of player Ryans would have turned out to be, he would have been the 5th player taken overall, and the 1st linebacker taken.

So you just never know. The draft fanatics can't stand to hear it, but draft day is a crap shoot.
I wasn't two much surprised by Demeco Ryans early success because of watching so many Alabama games. But the draft is still a crap shoot, and what made Demeco "fall" to the second round is the fact that AJ Hawk and a few other good linebackers were in that draft.
Old 11-06-2007   #84
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Well, I kind of meant to attack the opinion with facts and logic, but I guess this is the level it will be remain.
What facts and logic?

All you said was
Quote:
No, it is an indictment of the team's choice. People hold it against the team.

Mario is an average lineman making best player-on-the-team money. The team made a mistake.

Mario took what was offered. Good for him.

The only gray area is this: could Mario do something different - attitude, practice habits, study, whatever - to make himself better? If he isn't doing all he can, then shame on him for not doing everything he can to earn that exorbitant paycheck.
and

Quote:
Well, the current standard is three years to decide - that is why I can't wait until next year to decide if DeMeco is any good or if he is just lucky so far.
Where are the facts?
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #85
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well not to be a smartass singing the same old Marcus tune . . .

. . . but if they got nothing but turkeys, why fire the coaching, especially John Hoke, who is a very good secondary coach?

Oh, I know, a "good" coach should be able to take untalented players, like Faggins, and get them to play well.

Coaches can't make silk purses out of sows ears. Give John Hoke the tools, and he'll get the job done.
I think that a better coach would know he has turkeys on the team and try and design schemes that are not so obvious Stevie Wonder could read what the defese is doing.

Mix up the blitz packages ..... Use Safety Blitzes, Corner Blitzes and send a LB on a delayed blitz. Mix up the secondary (kinda hard now with D-Rob gone) try and disguise it.

It is the same with an offense if you know 90% of the time when it is going to be a run, how successful do you think the offense will be? Not to much to ask out of the defense is it?
Old 11-07-2007   #86
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

After careful study of this team, I'm convinced that we need to blitz the D-linemen more often.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #87
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
What facts and logic?

Where are the facts?
The first was in response to people not understanding why everyone holds it against Mario that he was the #1 pick. The fact is, not eveyone does.

The second one was a joke about the three year period of judgement, which is just an arbitrary figure seemingly applied mainly to Mario to explain his under-performance for a first pick of the draft without having to admit he is underperforming. It is procrastinating the admission that the Texans may have made a mistake. I know you are a three year guy, so you may not have seen the humor about having to wait three years to pass "final judgement" on Demeco. Too inconsistent.
Old 11-07-2007   #88
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I think that a better coach would know he has turkeys on the team and try and design schemes that are not so obvious Stevie Wonder could read what the defese is doing.

Mix up the blitz packages ..... Use Safety Blitzes, Corner Blitzes and send a LB on a delayed blitz. Mix up the secondary (kinda hard now with D-Rob gone) try and disguise it.

It is the same with an offense if you know 90% of the time when it is going to be a run, how successful do you think the offense will be? Not to much to ask out of the defense is it?
Safety blitz?? Which one can get there?
Old 11-07-2007   #89
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post

If you thought Mario was a bust, then you must not know football. This guy is supposed to be a rookie this year.
Well I am kinda new to the game, I just recently learned how to spell football. For the longest time I spelled it Futball. Silly me.

The problem with Mario is that he is Sean Jones without his William Fuller. Or even on the more extreme, he is Sean Jones without his Reggie White.

Either way you look at it every great DE has another good DE behind him.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #90
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, it is an indictment of the team's choice. People hold it against the team.

Mario is an average lineman making best player-on-the-team money. The team made a mistake.

Mario took what was offered. Good for him.

The only gray area is this: could Mario do something different - attitude, practice habits, study, whatever - to make himself better? If he isn't doing all he can, then shame on him for not doing everything he can to earn that exorbitant paycheck.

Well, for you people that can't deal with it, just look at it this way:

We drafted Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels, and Mario Williams, along with Charles Spencer in 2006... just don't worry so much about the order!
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #91
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the point you are missing is that no player from that draft has shown to be worthy of #1 pick money. "The team made a mistake" implies that there was a correct answer to the question, "Who should the Texans take with the #1 pick?". 1 & 1/2 seasons later, that answer still isn't apparent. The "mistake" was finishing with the worst record in the NFL.

There is a blessing and a curse to having a top pick in the draft. Yes, you get to select a player with potential. But, you have to pay that player as if he has already produced. We're becoming familiar with the curse part of the equation.
Old 11-07-2007   #92
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I think the point you are missing is that no player from that draft has shown to be worthy of #1 pick money. "The team made a mistake" implies that there was a correct answer to the question, "Who should the Texans take with the #1 pick?". 1 & 1/2 seasons later, that answer still isn't apparent. The "mistake" was finishing with the worst record in the NFL.

There is a blessing and a curse to having a top pick in the draft. Yes, you get to select a player with potential. But, you have to pay that player as if he has already produced. We're becoming familiar with the curse part of the equation.

I think that's a logical point and I agree with that, but if you wanted the idealistic response it would be that the correct answer to the question would've been to cash out and trade out of the top 3. Don't draft any of 'em. We would've gotten murdered even worse by the nat'l media by passing up all three, but I imagine we could've picked up a pretty sweet trade out option in retrospect when you remember all the hype that the top 3 had generated.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #93
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
...but I imagine we could've picked up a pretty sweet trade out option in retrospect when you remember all the hype that the top 3 had generated.
Well, you have to imagine that, because it is an imaginary scenario. The truth is, there was no pot o' gold at the end of the 1st pick rainbow. The hype was just that. The so called elite prospects had questions marks all over them. And they still do.

Last edited by Lucky; 11-07-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #94
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you did it over again - you might take D'Brick who has looked pretty good and is the only top ten pick besides Whitner, Sims and Hawk who has at least lived up to his billing thus far.

And for those of you who believe Freeney is so amazing - you are clearly not watching the games I see. He is a fanastic pass rusher who can be a solid run stopper. But isn't both at the same time and one often comes at the expense of the other (which is a big reason why his sack numbers have been low the past two years). Freeney also has the benefit of playing with a better overall defensive line and defensive unit as a whole. Finally, he has the luxury of an offense that gets up by multiple TD's each week, forcing the opposing O into obvious every-down passing situations.

I'm not saying I would take Mario over Freeney for one game but the difference isn't as much as you guys make it out to be. Same goes for Peppers who is suddenly quite average when he is paired with other average DLs.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #95
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you did it over again - you might take D'Brick who has looked pretty good and is the only top ten pick besides Whitner, Sims and Hawk who has at least lived up to his billing thus far.
Or if I did it the first time. There were a few advocates of taking Ferguson no matter what. Trade back if possible, if not, take him anyway. Of course, they were castigated for suggesting such a stupid thing, while draft value charts were thrown at them, with the wisdom of #1 overall value vs. what Ferguson would be worth, blah blah blah.

No, I'm not bitter.
Old 11-07-2007   #96
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I have a theory on Freeney, I believe Carr is the reason why his numbers are so inflated. 02-05 Freeney would sack Carr 5-6 times a year.

06 and Kubiak takes the ball out of Carr's hands and runs the ball more and gets more production out of the Oline, he finishes the year with 5.5 sacks.

Look at this year, no Carr, only 3.5 sacks.

And if you think that is crazy Brandon, I cant think of his last name, from the Titans, sacked Carr twice a game. Thats four sacks a year just by playing against David Carr.

Just a theory. But if it can be proven then Freeney needs to hand over some of that bonus money to Carr.
You may be on to something. It would be intreesting to see how many times Freeney has sacked Carr, (hint, hint stat gurus...)
Old 11-07-2007   #97
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240894 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Freeney sacks vs. Houston

2002 - 2
2003 - 1
2004 - 3
2005 - 2
2006 - 0

It's possible that Carr wasn't the target of all those sacks, as I didn't look up who was quarterbacking each game. Banks filled in at QB some in 2003, I know, but I think they're all on DC.

EDIT to add - Mathis' sacks vs. Houston:

2003 - 0
2004 - 4
2005 - 1
2006 - 2

Just as important.
Old 11-07-2007   #98
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
The first was in response to people not understanding why everyone holds it against Mario that he was the #1 pick. The fact is, not eveyone does.

The second one was a joke about the three year period of judgement, which is just an arbitrary figure seemingly applied mainly to Mario to explain his under-performance for a first pick of the draft without having to admit he is underperforming. It is procrastinating the admission that the Texans may have made a mistake. I know you are a three year guy, so you may not have seen the humor about having to wait three years to pass "final judgement" on Demeco. Too inconsistent.

The reason you wait 3 years to judge a draft because some guys do not improve. Some guys don't get better after their rookie season and stay consistent being a average player. It is like Colston's year, he has been playing better yes but it wasn't like last season. If he stays consistent with how he's playing he'll be just a above-average WR. Some guys imrpove and some dont, and some guys just seem to play worse as the years go on (Boulware?) that is why you wait 3 years.

That's why I am not going to say whether they made a mistake. Even if they did, the draft is a crap shoot and we came out of that draft with some possibly great players.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #99
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TEXANRED;778919]Well I am kinda new to the game, I just recently learned how to spell football. For the longest time I spelled it Futball. Silly me.

The problem with Mario is that he is Sean Jones without his William Fuller. Or even on the more extreme, he is Sean Jones without his Reggie White.
Either way you look at it every great DE has another good DE behind him.[/
QUOTE]

QFT.

SOme of Freeney's success can be attributed to Mathis & vice versa. If i'm not mistaken, i think mathis is thought of as overall the better DE.

Last edited by Mr teX; 11-07-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #100
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
Anyone catch James Harrisons performance for the Steelers last night?

9 Tackles
3 1/2 sacks
6 Qb Hurries
1 Int
2 forced fumbles
1 fumble recovery

Just freakin Awesome!
It would be freakin Awesome if we would blitz once out of every three downs played.

But we don't.

We'd have many more sacks as a team....... we'd probably give up more passing yards as well, but that's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
Let me first say that I am NOT saying that Mario Williams is a bust. He has been dissapointing so far for being a #1 overall pick. But he has plenty of time to improve. But on the players you mentioned, you are picking and choosing.

Michael Strahan- Secound round pick. He wasn't supposed to come in and dominate right away. He got better as his career came along. But he wasn't even a first round pick.

Julius Peppers- Yeah he has 1.5 sacks this year. But look at his first 5 years in the league.

2002-12 sacks
2003- 7 sacks
2004-11 sacks
2005-10 Sacks
2006- 13 sacks

Dwight Freeny

2002- 13 Sacks
2003- 16 sacks
2004- 11 sacks
2005- 13 sacks

My point is that we don't know if Mario is a bust yet, But to me he hasn't lived up to his potential. He can improve just like Michael strahan did. He is still young, but he has to have the drive and not just rely on talent alone.
The thing is that people talk about how great Strahan, Peppers, and Taylor are now. Forget where they were drafted, they are "Great Defensive Ends" All three will probably go into the Hall of fame.

Yet they aren't having great years..... is that because they've become sub-par football players?? Or is it because their teams have different defensive philosophies?? Different personnel?? Are OTs getting better in this league??

I remember last year, Freeney was a liability against the run, so he wasn't even on the field for two out of three plays. That's why he couldn't get around Salaam in either of our match-ups against the Colts in '06.

My point.. read Texan's Chick post.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read