Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2007   #61
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Mario Williams is NOT a bust after all.

I think that a lot of people down on Mario seems to forget that he is only 22 years old and I believe is the 64th youngest player in the league.

Not to mention that Richard Smith's defense hasn't exactly brought out the best in our defense. We have invested too many high round draft picks on this defense to be anything but dominant and I dont think enough people are placing blame on our vanilla defensive schemes.
Old 11-06-2007   #62
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Not to mention that Richard Smith's defense hasn't exactly brought out the best in our defense. We have invested too many high round draft picks on this defense to be anything but dominant and I dont think enough people are placing blame on our vanilla defensive schemes.
Sure Mario has been a disappointment so far, but he's still very young and time, lots & lots of it, is on his side and ours.
But one has to wonder that if Mario would have ended up with the coachs in oh, I dunno, lets say the the New England Patriots, what would those coachs and that team have done with Mario by this point in time ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #63
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Of course they are......and he's not a bust AT ALL. And yes, Defenses DO gameplan around him. They also gameplan(ned) around Dunta. You're crazy if you think they don't. Just b/c he doesn't have the stats doesn't mean he hasn't played extremely well. Those of you hyped up on Okoye should know that at least two of his sacks were people running scared from Mario. He's done well. Not great. Just like VY and Reggie. None have lived up to they hype, and that's b/c there is TOO MUCH HYPE. Every year people act like there are 4 LaDanian Tomlinson's in the draft, and 4 Joe Montana's. They're wrong every year. I'm very happy with Mario's play, and I even think TJ is stepping up. Once Okoye had another year under his belt, they will be feared in 2009!!!!!!!
Dont forget Adrian Peterson...NOW HE should have been the one all hyped up, not Reggie Bush.
Old 11-06-2007   #64
HSZ
Rookie

To determine the "bust"-iness of a player, shouldn't you compare it to the players drafted around him? Not necessarily the same position. So, for example -- Reggie Bush, Vince Young, etc.

And I don't think bust refers to the player as much as the choice by the team. It's a bust if somebody else picked after your player would have made a bigger and better impact for your team.
HSZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #65
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I dont think too many people have decided he's a bust.

He was hurt last year, and is playing very well this year. He's just not yet lived up to that 1st overall pick billing yet

Our DL as a unit, the 1st round crew, even though many are playing well individually, is a bust IMO
And was it his choice he was chosen #1 overall? What was he supposed to say? "No Thanks. I don't want all of that money. As a matter of fact, you should go get that guy from UT ahead of me."

It is not his fault he was chosen first, yet people hold it against him. I just don't get it.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #66
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy will never live down the hype and controversy of him being picked # 1 . In some people's eyes he will be a bust no matter what .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #67
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
The guy will never live down the hype and controversy of him being picked # 1 . In some people's eyes he will be a bust no matter what .
What hype? Mario was not hyped by anyone. If you go by the Chron and other people Mario is worse than Ryan Leaf, Sam Bowie, Jeff George and Todd Marinovich combined.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2007   #68
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
It is not his fault he was chosen first, yet people hold it against him. I just don't get it.
No, it is an indictment of the team's choice. People hold it against the team.

Mario is an average lineman making best player-on-the-team money. The team made a mistake.

Mario took what was offered. Good for him.

The only gray area is this: could Mario do something different - attitude, practice habits, study, whatever - to make himself better? If he isn't doing all he can, then shame on him for not doing everything he can to earn that exorbitant paycheck.
Old 11-06-2007   #69
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 40182 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Too early to know if Mario is a bust or not. To be fair, why not wait until around year five, then decide.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #70
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
What hype? Mario was not hyped by anyone. If you go by the Chron and other people Mario is worse than Ryan Leaf, Sam Bowie, Jeff George and Todd Marinovich combined.

I was just referring to him being some supposed sack machine in college . When he really had one good stretch of games . Thats all man . I was just stating my opinion thats it .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!

Last edited by False Start; 11-06-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: TYPO
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #71
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Its sad when we have to tell ourselves Mario is not a Bust and i agree he is not a bust yet. but 2 more seasons of this subpar play and yes he will be a bust. people will hang him out to dry even more than David Carr.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #72
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I certainly understand the frustration of being a Texans fan into what appears to be the sixth straight season of losing records.

But, we have to keep in mind that it's only 1.5 seasons of Kubiak and Mario. That just isn't enough time to really make a final judgement, IMO. We see tendencies to shape our perceptions, and that's fair. But what other choice do we really have than to be patient and hope that it comes together by the 2008 season?
I agree as far as being in 1.5 of Kubes and Mario. Again, I'm not pressing judgement on Mario. I just expressed frustration in having picks that seem to need to marinate compared to actually having a guy like DeMeco that steps in and plays. I sometimes wonder why we should not see that and expect the same more often. There always seems to be a rush to blame coaching and teammates for some guys...Carr and others...but not expect more out of the guys. Where I see how bad coaching has been and how talent poor we have been, it still doesn't want me to have a guy step up any less instead of waiting. But agreed that we have no choice at this time. But that is just from a fans perspective and having that Groundhog Day feeling at times.
Old 11-06-2007   #73
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

agreed HF .. but who knows, maybe mario and the other front 3 are the reason demeco can get free, but it is the ying and yang.. if our secondary could be stronger, it would give the DL a second or two more ... we'd look alot better with more hurries and knock downs and possibly more sacks
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #74
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
So I was looking around to compare Mario to some of this years high round pick rookies and some notable DE's that are big names. This is what I came up with:

Jamal Anderson: Has not even played yet. He was picked 8th.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/player...?playerId=0656

Gaines Adams drafted 4th overall: 1.5 sacks 17 tackles 2 PD
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=8258

Dwight Freeney, 3.5 sacks, 20 Tackles, 4 FF
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=5897

Robert Mathis 4.0 sacks, 20 tackles, 1 FF
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...e?statsId=6474

Michael Strahan 4.0 sacks, 26 tackles 2 PD
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=2579

Julius Peppers 1.5 sacks, 26 tackles, 4 PD 2 FF
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=5888

Mario Williams 4.0 sacks, 23 tackles 1 PD, 1 TD
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=7750

So I guess my question is, when comparing Mario to the rest of the stud DE's and high round draft picks, are we expecting to much?
If you thought Mario was a bust, then you must not know football. This guy is supposed to be a rookie this year. It does take awhile for guys to learn all the tricks of the trade. I have learned a few things about Texans football fans....they aren't loyal, they are unrealistic in their expectations, and they don't show up on time and they leave to early. I like Mario....he is not lucky like Peppers and Osimenyura was ...I mean having Strahan there for the NY football giants and Mike Rucker in Carolina to help peppers..who did mario have? Mario had some disgruntled silly fans that wanted Vince to throw the ball to our stud WR andre Johnson. I would rather mario make a QB rush a pass than get a sack....with rushed passes come interceptions. I really think QB sack statistics are overated.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #75
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Sure Mario has been a disappointment so far, but he's still very young and time, lots & lots of it, is on his side and ours.
But one has to wonder that if Mario would have ended up with the coachs in oh, I dunno, lets say the the New England Patriots, what would those coachs and that team have done with Mario by this point in time ?
nunusguy he is only a dissappointment to the ignorant fans that don't understand what it takes to succeed at this game. Only someone that doesn't understand the game is calling this guy a dissappointment.
Old 11-06-2007   #76
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
Too early to know if Mario is a bust or not. To be fair, why not wait until around year five, then decide.
Well, the current standard is three years to decide - that is why I can't wait until next year to decide if DeMeco is any good or if he is just lucky so far.
Old 11-06-2007   #77
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
you are right about that..lets just call those people stevie wonders.
Old 11-06-2007   #78
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Like the saying goes, it is hard to sore like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.

TC, just curious and sorta on the same subject line with coaching. the Ravens look like they are in for one long season and a new coaching regime could be taking over. Whom out there would you like to see take over as the Texans "D" coordinator, line coach and secondary coach?

So far I think it is unanimous that Richard Smith needs to go, as does Jon Hoke; but do you think Franklin and Bush needs to go as well?
Well not to be a smartass singing the same old Marcus tune . . .

. . . but if they got nothing but turkeys, why fire the coaching, especially John Hoke, who is a very good secondary coach?

Oh, I know, a "good" coach should be able to take untalented players, like Faggins, and get them to play well.

Coaches can't make silk purses out of sows ears. Give John Hoke the tools, and he'll get the job done.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #79
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
nunusguy he is only a dissappointment to the ignorant fans that don't understand what it takes to succeed at this game. Only someone that doesn't understand the game is calling this guy a dissappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
you are right about that..lets just call those people stevie wonders.

Your ad hominem attacks don't do much to demonstrate your knowledge of football either. Or is "people who perceive things differently or come to different conclusions than me are ignorant" the best argument you have?

Try attacking the opinion, not the debater.
Old 11-06-2007   #80
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I just expressed frustration in having picks that seem to need to marinate compared to actually having a guy like DeMeco that steps in and plays.
32 teams passed on DeMeco Ryans. I guaran-fricken-tee you that if anyone would have known beforehand what kind of player Ryans would have turned out to be, he would have been the 5th player taken overall, and the 1st linebacker taken.

So you just never know. The draft fanatics can't stand to hear it, but draft day is a crap shoot.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read