Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2007   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario at OLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
When you start experimenting with guys in "new" positions its a sign that you are having to be creative to get somethng out of the player...not a good sign at first glance imo
Or the scheme with the personnel you have..
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #42
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Or the scheme with the personnel you have..
The "scheme" for a weakside DE isn't very complex. "get after the QB", protect the edge, and chase the back for the backside cutback isn't exactly the Pythagorean theorem.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #43
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The "scheme" for a weakside DE isn't very complex. "get after the QB", protect the edge, and chase the back for the backside cutback isn't exactly the Pythagorean theorem.
oh if the game were only that simple......

maybe he looked back at his secondary after dunta went down & thought we definitely can't cover anything back there now, man or cover 2 shell, i've got to find a way to get more pressure to help out my secondary a bit more. & since Mario's the only D-linemen they have that could pull off the D-ware type playing.....
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #44
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When you start experimenting with guys in "new" positions its a sign that you are having to be creative to get somethng out of the player...not a good sign at first glance imo
Never know.

One of the things that they said about him when they drafted him was that he was versatile and could do different things.

And then when they tried that all at once, they thought he got confused, so they decided to put him at one spot (mostly decided by where Anthony Weaver could play).

But then, they moved him around some. I think some of the experimentation comes from the defensive schemes being too predictable.
Old 11-06-2007   #45
White Runningback
Veteran

Quote:
My sentiment exactly.
White Runningback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Never know.

One of the things that they said about him when they drafted him was that he was versatile and could do different things.

And then when they tried that all at once, they thought he got confused, so they decided to put him at one spot (mostly decided by where Anthony Weaver could play).

But then, they moved him around some. I think some of the experimentation comes from the defensive schemes being too predictable.
or it could have been he didn't do anything well...so they went back to concentrating on playing just one spot poorly.

just being a bit sarcastic.

Lots of problems on this team bigger than Mario not playing like a difference maker. Mario has at least not been a total bust (like you know who)....I still consider him a work in progress.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #47
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Never know.

Whatever it takes to win games is fine with me. I don't care if they line Mario up as a tight end, as long as we start winning games.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2007   #48
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 176918 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
For sure, I agree with this.

I would probably quit watching the Texans until they got new coaches if they decided to move Mario to OLB. Seems like a horrible idea.
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

BUT, riddle me this...if in 2-3 years Mario is getting the same type of stats he's getting now and not turning into the stud at DE and it seems he may make more of an impact in some sort of LB position, what do you do then?

If I were writing the checks for the Texans, I would hire a coach just for Mario and teach him something other than the bullrush. Add a little variation to his game with some moves.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #49
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this.

BUT, riddle me this...if in 2-3 years Mario is getting the same type of stats he's getting now and not turning into the stud at DE and it seems he may make more of an impact in some sort of LB position, what do you do then?

If I were writing the checks for the Texans, I would hire a coach just for Mario and teach him something other than the bullrush. Add a little variation to his game with some moves.
Put the guy wherever he will be the most successful. But the guy is 300 pounds. He will not play OLB successfully.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #50
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Put the guy wherever he will be the most successful. But the guy is 300 pounds. He will not play OLB successfully.
Adalius Thomas is 270. I don't see why Mario couldn't do it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #51
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, some on carolina's board are complaining about Peppers and his productivity this year, Mario and him are pretty even.

I am not saying mario is peppers (he has proven himself) but wonder what is going on . scheme? players around him? offense not doing enough to make another team one dimensional so the defense can do what is best

just brainstorming here
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #52
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 63751 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ouch. What is that - 6th grade math?
Old 11-07-2007   #53
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
BigBull for DC !!!
I accept. Cant do much worse can I?
Old 11-07-2007   #54
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I know many of us wish they had a working flux capacitor so they could travel back to the 2006 draft in order to warn Casserly and Kubiak that Mario may not be the best #1 pick. Right now, I don't know if Bush or VY were worthy of that spot either. Maaaaaaybe Bush with the way he's stepped up a bit with Deuce's absense.

But play Mario where he makes the most impact. If it's not at DE, then shame on us, we made a bad choice, but there's really no way applying a "you don't draft LB as the first pick!" argument makes much of a difference if that's what the team chooses to do (which they likely won't).

Make the most out of the PLAYER, not make the most out of a PICK POSITION that occurred 2 years ago.
The best of the bunch is Demeco Ryans. Id take him number one...
Old 11-07-2007   #55
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 13 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

I noticed it. I thought he performed exceptionally in the two-point stance. Who knows, maybe we can move him to OLB and play a 3-4 defense? Historically speaking, it is harder to produce against. Any sort of a change would help at this point. We seem to give up at least one huge pass a game and too many rushing yards. Change it up Smith!

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read