Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-06-2007   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's a list of FA CB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Maybe he could do that but Mike Sherman couldn't and that's really the problem on that side of the ball. This isn't Denver and we aren't even trying to mimic their running game. We're doing Green Bay's running game and failing at it. Mike Shanahan could sign Justin Fargas, stick him in their system and watch him crank out 1400 yards. Gary kubiak would sign him, hand him to Mike Sherman, and watch him average 2.9 yards per carry.
Exactly! We need some solid players not "well he had a good season before he got hurt." or "well he can be a returner, too." I want a solid player that can avg 4.0 and get 20-25 rushes. IMO no one like that is going to be available in FA. I wished there was as I wished a solid LT will be there for a reasonable purchase price. As other threads have said, average to above avg players will want astronomical money. I don't mind spending the $30 million but be reasonable.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #42
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Exactly! We need some solid players not "well he had a good season before he got hurt." or "well he can be a returner, too." I want a solid player that can avg 4.0 and get 20-25 rushes. IMO no one like that is going to be available in FA. I wished there was as I wished a solid LT will be there for a reasonable purchase price. As other threads have said, average to above avg players will want astronomical money. I don't mind spending the $30 million but be reasonable.
I think his point is more in that our coaching staff will not help him play to his potential and Denver's coaching staff could help him excel.

You keep looking at stats and thinking it's all about that one player. You have forgotten that 22 guys play on every play, and that coaches have alot to do with how well someone plays and therefore how good his stats are.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #43
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the jets, J.E.T.S. just released Rashad Washington-

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2926

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #44
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think his point is more in that our coaching staff will not help him play to his potential and Denver's coaching staff could help him excel.

You keep looking at stats and thinking it's all about that one player. You have forgotten that 22 guys play on every play, and that coaches have alot to do with how well someone plays and therefore how good his stats are.
Baseball is a better example of what you are saying and I don't disagree with you. Coaches like Kubes often think they can make a player better (Carr) than previous coaches. I'm ok with that, but we need some less risky picks this season. We can't keep hoping for a diamond in the rough. We need to make some very good pick ups in free agency. I think it is a very weak field to select from.
Old 11-06-2007   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the jets, J.E.T.S. just released Rashad Washington-

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=NFL&id=2926
This may be old but what i could find quickly.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...as%20State.htm
Old 11-06-2007   #46
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97142 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

They'll probably go back with McCleon, but i'd see about Jimmy Williams, he's young & maybe can be coached up a bit.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #47
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Baseball is a better example of what you are saying and I don't disagree with you. Coaches like Kubes often think they can make a player better (Carr) than previous coaches. I'm ok with that, but we need some less risky picks this season. We can't keep hoping for a diamond in the rough. We need to make some very good pick ups in free agency. I think it is a very weak field to select from.
It isn't about trying to find a diamond in the rough. I know what I get out of Fargas if he comes here and it isn't a 1,000 yard rusher.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2007   #48
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It isn't about trying to find a diamond in the rough. I know what I get out of Fargas if he comes here and it isn't a 1,000 yard rusher.
Really?--Fargas is that visibly worse than Domanick Davis?
Old 11-06-2007   #49
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
That's b/c he's going to be getting half of the carries. That's the point of the system. Green/Fargas/Thompson OR Echo would platoon. They would all play well, none of them would have to rush for 25 carries. AJ, Walter, A Davis, JJ, and Owen Daniels are going to be getting the ball often. We don't need two 1,000 yard backs, but 3 500 yard backs would be nice. Along with a good receiving corp that can keep defenses honest (oh yeah, AJ, Walter, Andre Davis, and OD,).

You use your first round pick on an LT, and if Spencer does come back, then you have two great Guards in Spencer and Studdard to open holes for our RB's. Imagine

LT - 1st rounder
LG - Pitts/Spencer
C- Flanagan (for now), McKinney
RG - Weary/Studdard
RT - Winston

add young receivers, and young RB's (other than Green) , and a young TE, and QB, and we have a great young team that will have years of greatness ahead of them.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #50
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 98612 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Like I said
Samuel= Jason David v 2

Don't waste the money

As far as drafting an RB late, unless you get lucky, you aren't going to get much out of a 3rd round and under back these days. Even Denver is finding that out.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #51
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this thread start out talking about corner backs?

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #52
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep. and no one has talked me out of Batman yet.

Well, gotta give Ahmen Green another shot. Knee is going to give him fits the rest of the year. I doubt we're in positon to draft one of the two high end guys. I'm figuring we'll eeek out one or two more. Just from the fact they did it lt year. Kubes won't go into the tank. He'd spit up major organ befor he'd quit. Great year for complimentry backs. I'll believe high end left tackle in the first when the pick is anouced at the end of April.
Old 11-07-2007   #53
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'll believe high end left tackle in the first when the pick is anouced at the end of April.
And I'm praying you're right.
Old 11-07-2007   #54
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Fargas runs hard but he doesn't have that tackle breaking ability DD had. It's possible, I just wouldn't expect it.
Old 11-07-2007   #55
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm figuring as soon as they get Micheal Bush on line, son of Huggy bear becomes expendable. Hold your water and you pick him up for the waiver wire price.
Old 11-07-2007   #56
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335888 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I'm figuring as soon as they get Micheal Bush on line, son of Huggy bear becomes expendable. Hold your water and you pick him up for the waiver wire price.
I wasn't saying to trade for him. Was just surprised to see someone claim he could never get 1000 yds.

Lamont Jordan may become the guy they deem expendable. The last two years of his contract are $4.75 and $5 mil and it looks like he might be the #3 RB.
Old 11-07-2007   #57
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I wasn't saying to trade for him. Was just surprised to see someone claim he could never get 1000 yds.

Lamont Jordan may become the guy they deem expendable. The last two years of his contract are $4.75 and $5 mil and it looks like he might be the #3 RB.
I'm not saying he would never get 1,000 yards, I'm just saying that's not what I expect when I sign him if I am Rick Smith. I don't add him to the roster expected him to pump out 1,000+ yards.
Old 11-07-2007   #58
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Back to CBs;

I wouldn't be shocked if they do not sign anybody, put Dunta on IR, move Hutchins back to CB, and bring Mitchell off the PS for depth.

Seeing as that is the only real plan we've heard from both Kubiak and Smith.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #59
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Back to CBs;

I wouldn't be shocked if they do not sign anybody, put Dunta on IR, move Hutchins back to CB, and bring Mitchell off the PS for depth.

Seeing as that is the only real plan we've heard from both Kubiak and Smith.
I don't think there is anybody that could do anything for us. CBs are difficult to find. CBs on other teams PS aren't going to do anything for us. If CBs are any good they are on the 53 man roster.
Old 11-07-2007   #60
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think there is anybody that could do anything for us. CBs are difficult to find. CBs on other teams PS aren't going to do anything for us. If CBs are any good they are on the 53 man roster.
Sad, but oh so true.

I'm thinking it'll be:

CB1 = Bennet
CB2 = Petey (I just threw up in my mouth a little)
CB3 = Hutchins

I guess Fletch will dress some once he gets healed up

FS = Will Demps
SS = CC

Random-Safety-For-Depth-Guy or RSFDG = Harrison.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read