Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2007   #21
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's a list of FA CB's

We're going to have some cap space, but I don't like going after huge profile guys like Hall. We've gone after high-priced players before and its never payed off. You can bet your bottom dollar there's gonna be a few teams bidding for Hall and he's surely going to get a contract bigger than Nate Clements'.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #22
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14555 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to have Asante Samuel, but in all likelyhood, he'll be too expensive.

However, if you're wanting to look into a more affordable future free agent, you might want to keep a player like Domonique Foxworth in mind. With the trade for Dre' Bly, Denver might not be willing to hang on to Foxworth.

Drayton Florence from San Diego is another guy to keep an eye on. With Cromartie stepping up, San Diego might not be willing to pony up too much cash.

Three more CB's to keep an eye on would be:

Chris Carr RFA Oakland Raiders
Randall Gay UFA New England Patriots
Karl Paymah RFA Denver Broncos

By the way, here's an early list of FA Safeties for this upcoming off season:

Mike Doss, UFA, Minnesota Vikings
Jordan Babineaux UFA Seattle Seahawks
William Bartee UFA Kansas City Chiefs
Jay Bellamy UFA New Orleans Saints
Omar Stoutmire UFA Washington Redskins
Derrick Strait UFA Carolina Panthers
Gibril Wilson UFA New York Giants

The Texan Question Marks
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #23
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Any thoughts to whom you would get in free agency? IMO there is no big time RB or free safety. After Samuels CB the quality drops very significantly. He has said he would have signed earlier this season for $10 million/year but wanted four years. I linked that in another thread. We have $30m this off season so why not get a great player to go with Dunte( if it was not a career ending injury) and Bennett? I have a sad feeling we will not spend all or even much of that $30 m.

There is a whole lot of 'if' in your hope that Spencer will be back and if he is? He looked pretty good based on two games. And that was before he was injured. Asking a guy to come back after all that time is asking a lot. If we pick an OLB, even Connor, where we will probably select in first, I'll be stunned and angry. If you can trade down and get a Ryan Clady (assuming he's out) in first and get a 2nd AND you pick up Samuel and Bennett continues to look good, I might then be ok with Connor in 2nd. I think most fans prefer filling the hole at FS rather than getting a LB.
RB: Michael Turner, Tyson Thompson (I think he has TONS of potential, and he's a KR), Justin Fargas (Oakland won't need him with Rhodes and Lamont on the payroll), Julius Jones. Any of them will do good for us until first round of 2009.

DB: Samuels, Mike Doss, Babineaux, and Gibril Wilson will all be good additions to our team.

Most importantly, there will always be surprise cuts in the offseason of great players. You never know what other experienced players will get cut due to teams needing cap room, and having good young players. (See: Jerry Porter)
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
RB: Michael Turner, Tyson Thompson (I think he has TONS of potential, and he's a KR), Justin Fargas (Oakland won't need him with Rhodes and Lamont on the payroll), Julius Jones. Any of them will do good for us until first round of 2009.

DB: Samuels, Mike Doss, Babineaux, and Gibril Wilson will all be good additions to our team.

Most importantly, there will always be surprise cuts in the offseason of great players. You never know what other experienced players will get cut due to teams needing cap room, and having good young players. (See: Jerry Porter)
Justin Fargas? Your kidding right. He will be in his 6th year and is averaging 10 carries a game?http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/FargJu00.htm

Last edited by badboy; 11-06-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: link added
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #25
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Justin Fargas? Your kidding right. He will be in his 6th year and is averaging 10 carries a game?http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/FargJu00.htm
What's wrong with Justin Fargas. When he came out of college I wasn't sure he would be able to run between the tackles. I knew he was fast.

He seems to be doing a pretty good job for the raiders the last 2 seasons. He looks alot better this season than when I watched him as a rookie.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What surprise cuts did Texans get this past June?

Mike Doss? WHat excites you abouthis stats? http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=187

Gibril Wilson is playing FS but may move to SS. His stats might move him in a pretty high salary range but I would not be opposed to learning more about him. http://www.nfl.com/players/gibrilwil...e?id=WIL709677
Old 11-06-2007   #27
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What surprise cuts did Texans get this past June?

Mike Doss? WHat excites you abouthis stats? http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=bio&player_id=187

Gibril Wilson is playing FS but may move to SS. His stats might move him in a pretty high salary range but I would not be opposed to learning more about him. http://www.nfl.com/players/gibrilwil...e?id=WIL709677
I dont understand what's with you and stats. They are of good use sometimes, but you can't base your entire opinion on a player from his stats.

Mike Doss was a damn good college player and has shown that he can play in the NFL. Probably could start for this team.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2007   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What's wrong with Justin Fargas. When he came out of college I wasn't sure he would be able to run between the tackles. I knew he was fast.

He seems to be doing a pretty good job for the raiders the last 2 seasons. He looks alot better this season than when I watched him as a rookie.
He is doing great for TEN rushes a game!!! I think we need a guy who can carry the rock 20-25 times. Can Fargas?
Old 11-06-2007   #29
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He is doing great for TEN rushes a game!!! I think we need a guy who can carry the rock 20-25 times. Can Fargas?
We need several running backs. We need a guy who can take the load off our #1 guy. We need a #1 guy. Then we need guys to back up our top 2 running backs. If we aren't going to use Lundy than all we have is Echo, Green, Dayne, and Taylor. I doubt Taylor plays for us considering he isn't on the team now. Dayne could be a #3 RB for us, but I mean I would get rid of him. Green and Echo seem to be the only RBs that are keepers.

I'll take any running back that can get yardage.
Old 11-06-2007   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I dont understand what's with you and stats. They are of good use sometimes, but you can't base your entire opinion on a player from his stats.

Mike Doss was a damn good college player and has shown that he can play in the NFL. Probably could start for this team.
What is with me and stats, they are a measurement of what a player does and some indication of what he might do. You sound like Kenny Smith griping at Darryl Morey of Rockets. Stats are not everything but a pretty fair indicator. Can he handle more than 10- 11 rushes? Well he has not so far in his NFL career. Not saying he can't but he is not someone I want to give Ahman Green money to. That is $6-7 million GUARANTEED in two years.
Old 11-06-2007   #31
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
We need several running backs. We need a guy who can take the load off our #1 guy. We need a #1 guy. Then we need guys to back up our top 2 running backs. If we aren't going to use Lundy than all we have is Echo, Green, Dayne, and Taylor. I doubt Taylor plays for us considering he isn't on the team now. Dayne could be a #3 RB for us, but I mean I would get rid of him. Green and Echo seem to be the only RBs that are keepers.

I'll take any running back that can get yardage.
Ok, look at your guy last year. He avg just over 3 yards. We do not need that type of back. We have Green because we are stuck with him. If he could stay healthy, well who knows because he can't. Dayne should not be on this team. Eche a one game wonder who is.. guess what injured. We have NO RBs on this team.
Old 11-06-2007   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
What is with me and stats, they are a measurement of what a player does and some indication of what he might do. You sound like Kenny Smith griping at Darryl Morey of Rockets. Stats are not everything but a pretty fair indicator. Can he handle more than 10- 11 rushes? Well he has not so far in his NFL career. Not saying he can't but he is not someone I want to give Ahman Green money to. That is $6-7 million GUARANTEED in two years.
I understand they are a good measurement. But you can't say "Alright let's look at the stats. 48 tackles 0 interceptions. OK he is a mediocre player." It doesn't work like that. There is a hell of alot more about this game than stats could show you.

Why would Fargas go for the same money as Ahman Green, a guy who has rushed for over 1,000 yards many time before. Fargas has never rushed for over 1,000 yards. Do you really think they would be going for even around the same price???

Also, what's wrong with picking up a guy who can carry 10 times a game successfully. Why must he prove to be able to carry 20-30 times a game before we sign him?

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 11-06-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2007   #33
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ok, look at your guy last year. He avg just over 3 yards. We do not need that type of back. We have Green because we are stuck with him. If he could stay healthy, well who knows because he can't. Dayne should not be on this team. Eche a one game wonder who is.. guess what injured. We have NO RBs on this team.
Uhhhhhhh...this is exactly my point when I say that Fargas would be a good guy to get. We need mulitple RBs and if one of the prospects hasn't proven to be able to run for 20-30 carries in one game we shouldn't take them off our list.

Fargas is a fast running back. We don't have one of those. We actually do need "that type of back".

P.S. Never said he was my guy. I feel he is talented. Could do some things for us. I would take a look at him if I were Rick Smith.
Old 11-06-2007   #34
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if Smith would be willing to sign a CB off another team's practice squad, with the knowledge that the signee has to go to the 53 man roster.

Does anybody of any "potentially" good CBs being stashed on another team's PS?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #35
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:

Ahman Green
Tyson Thompson
Justin Fargas
Echo

Fargas and Tyson could be picked up for cheap money, and would be well worth the money. During next year one of them could emerge as a starter to take Green's place. With our system Kubiak could turn a Tyson/Fargas duo into a great RB Tandem. And if Echo turns out to be something that's a bonus.....almost as big as bonus as freeing up a 1st round pick!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ahman Green
Tyson Thompson
Justin Fargas
Echo

Fargas and Tyson could be picked up for cheap money, and would be well worth the money. During next year one of them could emerge as a starter to take Green's place. With our system Kubiak could turn a Tyson/Fargas duo into a great RB Tandem. And if Echo turns out to be something that's a bonus.....almost as big as bonus as freeing up a 1st round pick!

Maybe he could do that but Mike Sherman couldn't and that's really the problem on that side of the ball. This isn't Denver and we aren't even trying to mimic their running game. We're doing Green Bay's running game and failing at it. Mike Shanahan could sign Justin Fargas, stick him in their system and watch him crank out 1400 yards. Gary kubiak would sign him, hand him to Mike Sherman, and watch him average 2.9 yards per carry.
Old 11-06-2007   #37
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ahman Green
Tyson Thompson
Justin Fargas
Echo

I just look at it as upgrading the position as a whole. It's a weak position of ours and when our starter gets injured it really shows how weak it is. Ahman Green can still run the ball when he is healthy, but after that any of these guys could and probably should be replaced.
Old 11-06-2007   #38
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ahman Green
Tyson Thompson
Justin Fargas
Echo

Tyson Thompson = OVER-RATED clap! clap! clapclapclap!!!
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I understand they are a good measurement. But you can't say "Alright let's look at the stats. 48 tackles 0 interceptions. OK he is a mediocre player." It doesn't work like that. There is a hell of alot more about this game than stats could show you.

Why would Fargas go for the same money as Ahman Green, a guy who has rushed for over 1,000 yards many time before. Fargas has never rushed for over 1,000 yards. Do you really think they would be going for even around the same price???

Also, what's wrong with picking up a guy who can carry 10 times a game successfully. Why must he prove to be able to carry 20-30 times a game before we sign him?
If you are going after a 10 carry guy with a low contract why pick an RB that will be almost 29? You can get that type of deal with a 6th or 7th pick. His avg sucks.
Old 11-06-2007   #40
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you are going after a 10 carry guy with a low contract why pick an RB that will be almost 29? You can get that type of deal with a 6th or 7th pick. His avg sucks.
Because he won't make rookie mistakes, plus we need more RBs anyway so we will probably be drafting one before a 6th or 7th round in addition to adding from free agency.

Or maybe you are right, "His avg sucks".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read