Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-05-2007   #1
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Here's a list of FA CB's

Who will we sign? Or, will we make a trade for someone?

http://profootballexperts.scout.com/a.z?s=211&p=2&c=695964

Cornerback

Tory James
Tyrone Poole
Dexter McCleon
Keiwan Ratliff
Will Poole
Daylon McCutcheon
Ahmad Carroll
Chris Cash
Rashad Bauman
Reggie Howard
Ray Mickens
Willie Williams
Terry Fair
Ray Walls
Willie Middlebrooks (S)
Dewayne Washington
Jimmy Williams
Robert Tate

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #2
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Here's a list of FA CB's

I'd give Carrol a sniff. He played cover corner at Arkansas and the burn marks should of healed over by now. Might have a different reslut with all the pressure off at being a high end pick with the weight of the world off his shoulders. Don't know if he can cover,or if he's even in shape. But he can run. That's basically the only flaw Faggins has. If you could mix up the two you'd have a prety fair CB2. Anyone want to venture a guess at who goes to RC and who's at left CB in two weeks ? That's going to be something interesting to watch in the next couple of weeks. On the one hand you've got a veteran who's not athletic enough to be matched up on the other teams best WR. On the other hand you've got a better athlete , a rookie, asked to relearn his foot work in two weeks. Gonna be fun.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-05-2007 at 03:48 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty slim pickings. Sigh.

By the way, the trading deadline has passed, so we can't work a trade deal.

I'm guessing they're going to move Von Hutchins back to corner, and sign a free agent. Jamar Fletcher's appendix sure picked a bad time to demand removal.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think we'll bring back Mccleon due to familiarity. I dont think that Rick Smith will be looking for a long term answer with this signing, just a bandaid to get us through the rest of this season. Mccleon already knows the scheme so if we sign him now he has the bye week to get back into football shape.
Old 11-05-2007   #5
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 561 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

sorry to be Debbie Downer so early on Monday morning, but that list suddenly brings a 6-10 record into focus a good deal more.
Old 11-05-2007   #6
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Samuels should be on that list, I believe that NE agreed not to franchise him next season. We could target a CB in the draft or obtain one through a trade. I am starting to wonder about playing more of a cover 2 style of D. Cover 2 corners are a little easier to find than good man to man CBs. If we move Weaver inside to our DT rotation and shift MW to LE then add a speed rusher in the Derrick Burgess mold I think we could have the makings of a sold cover 2 unit. Or course we still need to upgrade FS - although I liked what I saw of Demps in the Oak game. he was really laying the wood.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Samuels should be on that list, I believe that NE agreed not to franchise him next season.
the list is FA's right now.. not after the season
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-05-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith will do the best he can to address this need for now then after the season target a high profile corner in free agency & probably use his 3rd round pick on one in the draft. this is a terrible time to find a free agent cb, nobody of note available. did a search on other teams practice squads & undrafted free agent corners to me very limited (found Kenny Scott, Georgia Tech & Anthony Arline, Baylor still unsigned) I'm sure Rick has his data base of potential cbs from his draft board last year who may be still available that he will contact to interview/workout.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #9
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 31996 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Since we are playing the Saints next and if i'm not mistaken I believe we can sign players from other teams practice squad, how about this guy
http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Team...0Phillips.aspx
just a thought
Old 11-05-2007   #10
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
sorry to be Debbie Downer so early on Monday morning, but that list suddenly brings a 6-10 record into focus a good deal more.
I am not going to say that just yet, 8-8 is still on the horizon. I do however think that your about to see this offense get really boring. Two TE's, I formation, maximum amount of time spent between each play. Total clock management.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Pretty slim pickings. Sigh.

By the way, the trading deadline has passed, so we can't work a trade deal.

I'm guessing they're going to move Von Hutchins back to corner, and sign a free agent. Jamar Fletcher's appendix sure picked a bad time to demand removal.
IMO Fletcher got off way too easy. It was just a rupturing appendix. I mean Mathis was expected to "stretch it out" and Fletcher gets surgery. SHeesh! You are a wimp FLetchy.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #12
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Rick Smith will do the best he can to address this need for now then after the season target a high profile corner in free agency & probably use his 3rd round pick on one in the draft. this is a terrible time to find a free agent cb, nobody of note available. did a search on other teams practice squads & undrafted free agent corners to me very limited (found Kenny Scott, Georgia Tech & Anthony Arline, Baylor still unsigned) I'm sure Rick has his data base of potential cbs from his draft board last year who may be still available that he will contact to interview/workout.
I agree with the high profile CB in the offseason, but maybe not A Samuel quality. They just need someone that can cover for 1-2 years. As aweful as losing Dunta is, I don't think it's the end of our 2008 by any means. We can draft a big name CB, Bennet can step up. Sign a really good FS (we have plenty of cap room), and then draft an OLB, and we have a Bad@ss defense again. Dunta can heal on his own time, and then we have depth too!

If Studdard and White can step up, and maybe Spencer comes back. We're set. Top it off with a Center in the 3rd round, and our O-line is pretty decent. Big name RB.

Sign:
Big time RB
Med-High Quality CB (Can cover 1-2 years until DROb is 100%)
Best FS Available (If Demps or Hutchins don't step up soon)

Draft
1st:OLB
3rd:C
4th:FS/SS
5th:BPA
6th: BPA
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie View Post
Or, will we make a trade for someone?
The trading deadline has passed. Off topic, but I think the NFL should extend the trading deadline to week 10, at least.
Old 11-05-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I agree with the high profile CB in the offseason, but maybe not A Samuel quality. They just need someone that can cover for 1-2 years. As aweful as losing Dunta is, I don't think it's the end of our 2008 by any means. We can draft a big name CB, Bennet can step up. Sign a really good FS (we have plenty of cap room), and then draft an OLB, and we have a Bad@ss defense again. Dunta can heal on his own time, and then we have depth too!

If Studdard and White can step up, and maybe Spencer comes back. We're set. Top it off with a Center in the 3rd round, and our O-line is pretty decent. Big name RB.

Sign:
Big time RB
Med-High Quality CB (Can cover 1-2 years until DROb is 100%)
Best FS Available (If Demps or Hutchins don't step up soon)

Draft
1st:OLB
3rd:C
4th:FS/SS
5th:BPA
6th: BPA
Any thoughts to whom you would get in free agency? IMO there is no big time RB or free safety. After Samuels CB the quality drops very significantly. He has said he would have signed earlier this season for $10 million/year but wanted four years. I linked that in another thread. We have $30m this off season so why not get a great player to go with Dunte( if it was not a career ending injury) and Bennett? I have a sad feeling we will not spend all or even much of that $30 m.

There is a whole lot of 'if' in your hope that Spencer will be back and if he is? He looked pretty good based on two games. And that was before he was injured. Asking a guy to come back after all that time is asking a lot. If we pick an OLB, even Connor, where we will probably select in first, I'll be stunned and angry. If you can trade down and get a Ryan Clady (assuming he's out) in first and get a 2nd AND you pick up Samuel and Bennett continues to look good, I might then be ok with Connor in 2nd. I think most fans prefer filling the hole at FS rather than getting a LB.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The trading deadline has passed. Off topic, but I think the NFL should extend the trading deadline to week 10, at least.
I also think there should be an Injury status other than doen for the year.
Old 11-05-2007   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bly from the broncos would be good, Charles Tillman, da bears, Randall Gay, pats or Quentin Jammer, bolts. just a few top of the head

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #17
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep seeing this thread getting activity and I keep checking it thinking that maybe Rick Smith has pulled another rabbit out of his a.... er, I mean hat.

But no.

And still no presser on D-Rob so we can hear if it was just the hammy and an ACL or if it was the hammy and the trifecta.

*sigh*
Old 11-05-2007   #18
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring in Tory James.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #19
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Bring in Tory James.
He's the one I was thinking about as well. He's an old timer, but he might still have something left in the tank. He had 41 tkl's, 10 PD's, & 4 picks last year, which was consistent with the numbers he put up the prior 5 years.

http://www.nfl.com/players/toryjames...e?id=JAM653473

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #20
ATXan
Rookie

What about for next year we try to get our hands on DeAngelo Hall?
ATXan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read