Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-03-2007   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default very good/very early 08 mock

thought y'all might enjoy this one from a new site (bored & surfing) called http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Houston Texans: Kenny Phillips, FS/SS, Miami
Jonathan Stewart is an option, but everything the Texans have done the past few years has been to beat the Colts. A safety of Kenny Phillips' caliber would help defend Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: very good/very early 08 mock

Ive had enough of our QB being a punching bag .... They cant run the ball , they cant pass protect ..... Ive seen enough of Ephraim Salaam , Victor Riley , and Chester Pitts at LT Jordan Black isnt much of an option or he would be playing ahead of Salaam. Sooner or later the front office has to say enough is enough and fix the problem . Before this team can think about beating the Dolts they have to learn how to keep the QB upright and rush the ball for more effectively than the 3.2 avg they have thus far this season .

This game is won and lost by the guy's in the trenches .... Many of us fans have been screaming this at the top of our lungs since the inception of this franchise .... Why on earth cant the front office get the picture ?

Edit: the only guy I take ahead of a top flight LT in this draft is Darren McFadden RB, Arkansas. ( I seriously doubt he is still on the board when the Texans pick.)

Fix the O-Line in 08

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 58771 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Has us picking Hart in the 3rd. I could live with that.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #4
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

that is a good mock.

Matt McGuire's mock is awful however. i stopped at the first pick, saying Miami could draft Jake Long and move Vernon Carey inside. ridiculous. Carey is one of the AFC's best left tackles right now. this talk about Carey being a guard more than a tackle started before he was drafted, and the fact that people still bring it up (this McGuire guy, NFLDraftCountdown, and others) show me that they're not really watching the games.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
that is a good mock.

Matt McGuire's mock is awful however. i stopped at the first pick, saying Miami could draft Jake Long and move Vernon Carey inside. ridiculous. Carey is one of the AFC's best left tackles right now. this talk about Carey being a guard more than a tackle started before he was drafted, and the fact that people still bring it up (this McGuire guy, NFLDraftCountdown, and others) show me that they're not really watching the games.
You and I have traded barbs about draftniks, but this is part of what I am getting at. Some guy writes it down in a draft profile, it gets copied into 40 other draft profiles and people repeat it for years after no matter what the on the field play.
Old 11-03-2007   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care how highly some other teams value safetys, I'm just reluctant to use such a high pick on one, especially when such a highly rated LT prospect as Sam Baker is also on this Board when the Texans pick.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

What is so sick about this Mock is it has NE getting McFadden.
Sponsored links
Old 11-03-2007   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think that the Pats will pick that high. The Rest of the Niners schedule is a joke. I say they win at least 3-4 more games. I think the only team that might take a RB before the Texans is the jets. They are the only ones that I see taking Mcfadden.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't care how highly some other teams value safetys, I'm just reluctant to use such a high pick on one, especially when such a highly rated LT prospect as Sam Baker is also on this Board when the Texans pick.
Me and you both.

I also have an issue with the Atlanta choice. O.K. my logic may be flawed...but they just lost their superstar. They have one on the board with McFaddin. A horse you can give the rock to thrity times game and keep the fans holding season tickets interested. I find it hard to believe they would leave that on the table.

As good as the Kentucky kid is...he's going to be an experiment untill he gets it.
San Deigo set the standard couple of drafts ago. Take the RB first, especailly if you have the cap room. Take the QB next. Didn't Cleveland basically do the same thing last draft with Quinn ? Draft the high end OLT and then come back for the QB ? It comes down to which one has the best chance to pay off the forty million dollar invesment and keep the fans happy dosen't it ?
Old 11-03-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

No offense ment beer lover, I got it. Stewart is the best high end back on the board that fits what this coach likes to do. If we want him we'd better grab him. If you like him, I like him.

But when I look at this mock, I can see a whole lot of help for the team in the middle and end of the first round. Not argueing that you are not correct. What I'm posting is IF we get a move down offer that puts picks in Smith's bag, I think you do the deal. If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, I think we're fixing to get on o-lineman audition the rest of the way after the bye week. We'll see. Me I keep moving back untill I hit a high end need. Then I use my extra picks to hit the guys in the middle rounds that our scouts like. More fifty through 150 guys we pick up the better.

He has us taking another one round one in his '09 mock. Yes we need a RB. We also need a lot of other stuff. We don't need to stock pile them. Sloppy. I got it you don't like the Texans Walter.

What I see is this guy has way too many skill guys going in the first two rounds. Never happens like that. Nice for us, we don't need WRs. Every time one goes off the bord that is good thing for the Texans.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-03-2007 at 12:05 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
I don't think that the Pats will pick that high. The Rest of the Niners schedule is a joke. I say they win at least 3-4 more games. I think the only team that might take a RB before the Texans is the jets. They are the only ones that I see taking Mcfadden.
They are holding Atlanta's pick. The Pats lost their original via film gate. Will agree that this coach and staff have a real nasty habit of trading back and collecting picks for the next years class. So if that is what you are posting , the wolf in new England will move back, I think history shows there is a very high probablity that that is true.

What is also true is they just lost their stud DT. They are in a position to get one if he translates into a 3-4 DE. I think he does. May not make it to thier pick , stranger things have happened though.
Old 11-03-2007   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You and I have traded barbs about draftniks, but this is part of what I am getting at. Some guy writes it down in a draft profile, it gets copied into 40 other draft profiles and people repeat it for years after no matter what the on the field play.
http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_NFL_...h_benedict.htm

Well there he is. The numbers say he is a better athlete than Joe Thomas. Doesn't say he is better. If he falls into the third a need will meet a high end prospect for this team. Might be our next work out warrior as a lot of folks like to say. The Jags are hot for him. Might get to see him twice a year for ten years.
He might bust out like Seth Wand.
Old 11-03-2007   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could live with a combination of these:

1st: Kenny Phillips, Jonathan Stewart, Sam Baker
3rd: Mike Hart, Quentin Demps.....
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

THe Pats are holding the 49ers pick 3TP...btw, weren't you the same guy lambasting me by saying I'd rather have Peterson over Okoye a few months back and you would never draft a back that high?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #15
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
They are holding Atlanta's pick. The Pats lost their original via film gate. Will agree that this coach and staff have a real nasty habit of trading back and collecting picks for the next years class. So if that is what you are posting , the wolf in new England will move back, I think history shows there is a very high probablity that that is true.

What is also true is they just lost their stud DT. They are in a position to get one if he translates into a 3-4 DE. I think he does. May not make it to thier pick , stranger things have happened though.
The pats have the Niners pick...
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
THe Pats are holding the 49ers pick 3TP...btw, weren't you the same guy lambasting me by saying I'd rather have Peterson over Okoye a few months back and you would never draft a back that high?
34 carries 324 yards, 9.1 AVE., 1 TD rushing , I passing. There are running backs and then there are running backs. And niether number five nor Stewart has the injury bug tied to thier tails.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-04-2007 at 01:00 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I could live with a combination of these:

1st: Kenny Phillips, Jonathan Stewart, Sam Baker
3rd: Mike Hart, Quentin Demps.....
I dunno did you see Demps this afternoon in the Rice game ? He wasn't listed this morning in the paper among the starters. I've watched him twice now and I wasn't that impressed. Might be hurt now. They say Demps is going to be a stud though. If they miss on Sam Baker or whoever in the first they better have solid day two plan is all I'm going to say about that. Whatever the o-line is missing they need to plug that hole. They gamble again on McKinney and Salaam/Spencer, I'm going to figure they don't know what they are doing. They may catch an easy schedule in '08. But we aren't going to travel post season with this group. Sacks are way down this season. But the rushing attack is in the toilet. May be a function of no holes. Or our RBs aren't quick enough to hit what little hole there is. I don't like big ten RBs. But whatever.
Old 11-04-2007   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
thought y'all might enjoy this one from a new site (bored & surfing) called http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Houston Texans: Kenny Phillips, FS/SS, Miami
Jonathan Stewart is an option, but everything the Texans have done the past few years has been to beat the Colts. A safety of Kenny Phillips' caliber would help defend Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark.
The site has been around for a few years...never caught on too big anywhere though.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Ive had enough of our QB being a punching bag .... They cant run the ball , they cant pass protect ..... Ive seen enough of Ephraim Salaam , Victor Riley , and Chester Pitts at LT Jordan Black isnt much of an option or he would be playing ahead of Salaam. Sooner or later the front office has to say enough is enough and fix the problem . Before this team can think about beating the Dolts they have to learn how to keep the QB upright and rush the ball for more effectively than the 3.2 avg they have thus far this season .

This game is won and lost by the guy's in the trenches .... Many of us fans have been screaming this at the top of our lungs since the inception of this franchise .... Why on earth cant the front office get the picture ?

Edit: the only guy I take ahead of a top flight LT in this draft is Darren McFadden RB, Arkansas. ( I seriously doubt he is still on the board when the Texans pick.)

Fix the O-Line in 08
Shame on you of little faith. We still have an opportunity to secure a higher round selection for McFadden. Please do not give up on us. We now have the Injury Bug Curse back on our side from last two years.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

by winning this weekend the Texans move down a little making either Kenny Phillips a better value/bpa or closer to grabing the top cb, Malcohm Jenkins to help address need with Dunta Robinsons injury.

also the Patriots just slid up to the 4th overall pick (from San Francisco) with McFadden just sitting there gives them a choice to take another playmaker or deal for more picks, the rich just keep getting richer

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read