Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2007   #61
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Austin rumour bout Kubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I know this was towards SH but I still think he was Senior Popup despite his greatness. He had the most beautiful and most powerful infield flys I've ever seen. Come on, everyone remembers the out of the shoes swings with guys on...that might have been post roids though ..LOL
Point....

Counter point.... My, how we forgot that during his early to mid years, he hit the ball all over the park for average... It wasn't until the latter stages of his career that he became a strictly pull hitter.

For example: 1993 he hit .320, but only had 20 home runs - 4 triples, 37 doubles. Out of 171 hits, thats 110 singles.

Not to mention he had a .993 fielding percentage for his career.

Last edited by Texan_Bill; 11-02-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #62
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Point....

Counter point.... My, how we forgot that during his early to mid years, he hit the ball all over the park for average... It wasn't until the latter stages of his career that he became a strictly pull hitter.

For example: 1993 he hit .320, but only had 20 home runs - 4 triples, 37 doubles. Out of 171 hits, thats 110 singles.

Not to mention he had a .993 fielding percentage for his career.
Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything. I just always thought of the two Biggio was more valuable and more a gamer. I just think he got to a point where he popped up alot and wasn't driving them in. I think he stayed a year too long. Overall though the guy was a complete stud.
Old 11-02-2007   #63
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything. I just always thought of the two Biggio was more valuable and more a gamer. I just think he got to a point where he popped up alot and wasn't driving them in. I think he stayed a year too long. Overall though the guy was a complete stud.
Right on.. My issue is that some folks remember his last couple of years and thats how they define him.

As far as hitting in the play-offs, true he choked, but so did everyone else that faced Maddux, Glavine, Smolts, Kevin Brown (twice in the same series - etc....).. Wait a minute, he had a pretty big hit in the NLCS pinch hitting, which helped a rally to win.
Old 11-02-2007   #64
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right on.. My issue is that some folks remember his last couple of years and thats how they define him.

As far as hitting in the play-offs, true he choked, but so did everyone else that faced Maddux, Glavine, Smolts, Kevin Brown (twice in the same series - etc....).. Wait a minute, he had a pretty big hit in the NLCS pinch hitting, which helped a rally to win.
Geez I may drink all of the moonshine after having that brought up.
Old 11-02-2007   #65
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Geez I may drink all of the moonshine after having that brought up.
You aint drinking squat until you bring me some
Old 11-02-2007   #66
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again, I love Bags. I'm not saying the guy isn't HOF or anything.
I like Bagwell as much as the next guy, but I'll say it: he's not a HoF player.
Old 11-02-2007   #67
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I like Bagwell as much as the next guy, but I'll say it: he's not a HoF player.
See and that is what some of my friends argue. We all agree on Biggio and people are torn on Bags. Many think he is the best Astros ever and others think he had a smaller window of greatness and isn't HOF. The friends that argue your point bring up that his stats were always overinflated and he hit more 9th inning, 8-0, solo shots than anyone in history but was Senior Popup when needed. I'm somewhere in between where I agree with their points and used to say the same thing about him but think he will and should get in.
Old 11-02-2007   #68
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
See and that is what some of my friends argue. We all agree on Biggio and people are torn on Bags. Many think he is the best Astros ever and others think he had a smaller window of greatness and isn't HOF. The friends that argue your point bring up that his stats were always overinflated and he hit more 9th inning, 8-0, solo shots than anyone in history but was Senior Popup when needed. I'm somewhere in between where I agree with their points and used to say the same thing about him but think he will and should get in.
Bagwells HOF chances ended about 4 (maybe 5 years) ago, when his shoulder went... Had he stayed, healthy and productive he and Frank Thomas would wind up with nearly the same exact stat line...

Towards the end, it pained me to watch him try to throw the ball.. He went from being an above average defensive 1st baseman to a liability..
Old 11-02-2007   #69
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Bagwells HOF chances ended about 4 (maybe 5 years) ago, when his shoulder went... Had he stayed, healthy and productive he and Frank Thomas would wind up with nearly the same exact stat line...

Towards the end, it pained me to watch him try to throw the ball.. He went from being an above average defensive 1st baseman to a liability..
See, again, I'm a Biggio guy, but people, at least from what I heard were calling Bags a lock and Biggio not. I never got that. I was under the impression that his earlier numbers were still good enough though. People still call him a 1st ballot lock...again, just from reading. I'm not going to lie, his willingness to keep trying despite the play/pain had soured me for awhile and I was ready for the Stros to move on.
Old 11-02-2007   #70
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31401 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, I must be lost, is this a football thread?

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #71
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerTastesLikeVictory View Post
Old 11-02-2007   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I thought it was about Kubiak becoming skipper for the Astros.
Old 11-02-2007   #73
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I thought it was about Kubiak becoming skipper for the Astros.
yes but it was a very fine hi jacking. one of the best ever.
For the record. I like Kubiack. i think he's learning on the fly. I think he sticks by his veterans too long. and I think he is a piss poor manager of the clock. But what is not suspect is the fact that his passing game, even with out the all world wide reciever, with out a credible rushing attack, is one of the best passing attacks in the league. It boggles my mind how good this team could be with a decent o-line and a credible rushing attack. So, you guys make up your minds. Do you want another capers regeme in here or are we going to allow this crew to have a couple of drafts and learn what they are doing ?

He's turned down the Texas Aggrecluture and Mechanical job twice now. There is no doubt that the aggs can throw enough money at the guy to make him contemplate it. But I believe that this job is this guys dream job. They may buy kubes....but it's going to hurt the building fund if they do. They throw seven million a year at the guy, he's gotta do what is best for his family. The problem at A & M is not the coach. The problem is there is nothing to do in college station on a friday night. And it's come to the point that tradition is not selling the recruits. And there are only so many legacies that come down the pipe line.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 11-05-2007 at 01:26 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #74
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes and Rick Smith aren't going anywhere. My guess is that McNair will give them at least 4 years to turn this ship around and have us in the playoffs or at least fighting for a playoff spot. Personally, I think they will do it too.

I'm less sure about Richard Smith and Sherman staying around, but you never know. Most people weren't happy with Richard Smith last year after the 1st 3 or 4 games, but then the D unit turned it around and were a top 10 defense for the last 10 or so games. And remember, this defense is very young. I think they just need more time playing together and add a few more pieces to become a very good (top 5) unit.

As for the offense, I think that will be a focus of the Draft and FA this coming year more so than in the past. Kubes and Smith are doing what they can with what they have, but I don't think they have near all the pieces in place they, and Sherman, want to really run the offense the way they want. With the loss of McKinney and Green, and falling behind so much, it's becoming more of a passing offense, which exposes our weakness at LT. I have to say though, that Salaam is doing the best he can under the circumstances. I noticed the Texans brought up Brandon Frye off the Practice Squad. Maybe he'll see some action (get his feet wet) and give Salaam some rest. I have high hopes he will develop into a good LT. We'll see.

As for Bags and Biggio, I say they both get into the Hall. Biggio the 1st year and Bags maybe the 2nd or 3rd. It would be nice to see them get in together! JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #75
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm Kubes to the aggies is about as wild as the Cowher to A&M rumors that Ive heard.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #76
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
Some of our local sports talk radio dj's are speculating thet Kubes will take over at A & M after they fire Fran this year.
I dont buy it, just think the local Boys lovers are wishing some Texan controversy.
I like Kubiak, but if he bolts from here I wouldnn't hold it against him. A man has to do what is he thinks is best for his family. What I would do is hold it against the Texans leadership if they don't grab Bill Cowher before the Panthers do. Cowher is they guy that can bring this team the "nasty attitude" that they seem to lack sometime.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #77
ActualTexan
upright biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
I like Kubiak, but if he bolts from here I wouldnn't hold it against him. A man has to do what is he thinks is best for his family. What I would do is hold it against the Texans leadership if they don't grab Bill Cowher before the Panthers do. Cowher is they guy that can bring this team the "nasty attitude" that they seem to lack sometime.
"sometime" = the full six years of their existance on earth

(well, except for preseason when they play Dallas)
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #78
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, Sherman is the most likely of the coaching staff to go to the A&M job and I don't think that is even all that likely.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007   #79
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

HERE... I started a baseball thread for all of you who've hijacked this thread...
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...168#post776168
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007   #80
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So, you guys make up your minds. Do you want another capers regeme in here or are we going to allow this crew to have a couple of drafts and learn what they are doing ?
In Kubiak we trust. like we have a choice?

It'll be alright. Just get a win today and go into the bye week on a high note and 4-5. Rest for two weeks and return home with Schaub and AJ, and take it from there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read