Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-02-2007   #21
TexansSB07
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexansSB07 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Re: Austin rumour bout Kubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree! I find it amazing how people can give up on a coach after a season and a half. The guy doesn't even have all the players he wants yet. Rick Smith even reiterated that before the season started.

Give Sherman the Aggie position and Richard Smith a special teams position at a Junior High in Alaska.
HEY HEY what did Alaska High School football ever do to you
TexansSB07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Firing the head coach is only going to work if you plan on firing the owner, too. I will always hold McNair in high regard for bringing pro football back to Houston, but he appears to be in over his head. A lone guppy in a tank full of 31 sharks.
Old 11-02-2007   #23
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I agree! I find it amazing how people can give up on a coach after a season and a half. The guy doesn't even have all the players he wants yet. Rick Smith even reiterated that before the season started.

Give Sherman the Aggie position and Richard Smith a special teams position at a Junior High in Alaska.
I agree too, well with the *ahem* exception of giving Sherman the A&M job... Thanks, but no thanks!
Old 11-02-2007   #24
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Hilarious!!

First Kubiak isn't going anywhere.
Second, my criticism of Kubiak would be the teams lack of intensity & preparedness - which needs to be corrected ASAP!!
With that said, I remember a coach who took over a sub-par team, and in his first two seasons as head coach went 8-24, then went on to win 3 Super Bowls in his final 4 years...

Quit drinking the HatorAid

Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility and great personnel skills and had some of the best assistants come with him to Dallas from all over the country. Please dont even compare Kubiak to Jimmah. Kubiak can't even compare much less his horrible assistants.

No comparison. Kubiak is not a proven head coach and has arguable the worst coaching staff of assistants that money can't buy.

it's not HatorAid, it's just Reality Juice. The team has gotten worse, the players arent getting coached up, the team comes out flat and uninspired game after game, the team falls behind 14-21 points before you can say 'Fire Kubiak'.

If we only win 1 or 2 more games the rest of the year, KUBIAK MUST GO...and if the A&M hires him away from us that just makes everything look so much better and keeps more egg from flying at our face.

PLEASE A&M. GET IT DONE. HIRE SCRUBIAK.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 11-02-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #25
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Most Aggies I know seem to think they are getting Tommy Tuberville from Auburn.
only if Auburn fires him, who would be stupid enough to leave Auburn for A&M voluntarily. The Big12 (including University of Texas Longhorns) is a joke right about now and the SEC is as good as it has ever been. Auburn >> A&M.
Old 11-02-2007   #26
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Aggies are so convoluted to think that they can just have any coach they want. Why would an NFL head coach leave his post to go coach the Aggies? Why would Tubberville leave Auburn to go to A&M? Aggies, here's a thought, do something orginal for a change and quit worrying about what Texas and OU are doing all the time. Newsflash, your program is not all that. When did ya'll last win a bowl game for crying out loud? Do like Tech did and get a no name coach that can bring credibility to your program again. Why do you have make a big name splash? Just so you can say you overpaid millions to get a big name coach again? Typical aggy.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #27
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility
I loved JJ but he was only proven at a collegiate level. We have seen time and time again that success in college proves nothing for success in the pros.
Old 11-02-2007   #28
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualTexan View Post
Who? You can't be talking about Clements and Ward, aren't they Cowboys fans?
Not them.

The only guys I know of in Austin that pay any attention to the Texans at all are Erin Hogan in the morning and AJ Hoffman in the afternoon. Having said that, they're still nowhere close to the guys that are in Houston.

They both come on 1300 AM.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #29
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Firing the head coach is only going to work if you plan on firing the owner, too. I will always hold McNair in high regard for bringing pro football back to Houston, but he appears to be in over his head. A lone guppy in a tank full of 31 sharks.
Yep, I agree completely on this one.

It seems very clear McNair wants a certain image and feel about his organization and it has nothing to do with what happens on the football field first. He believes you take care of certain non-football things first, then football things will just happen.

I don't think it's a coincindence that Kubiak and Capers are very similar guys. Look at Schaub and Carr, same type of guy. We just got lucky on the Schaub deal, he can actually play.

Point is, McNair is not really concerned about football players. He is going to have to hire some people he doesn't like or agree with personally as a person. I don't see what the big deal is anyway, has long as a guy isn't committing felonies, what he does in his free time with consenting adults is his own business. A football player's job is to be successful playing a violent sport, not pass out lollipops in the bye week.

Just because you are a nice upstanding citizen (whatever that means?) does not mean you are going to be successful in life. Life isn't fair, and neither is football. Just as many jerks are successful as good people (whatever that means?), they are total independent of results.

To say on point with this thread, I could care less if Kubiak goes if this same type of trend continues through the end of the season. We are going to have the same type of coach anyway...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #30
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looks like Second Honeymoon found a new cause. It's not a matter of if he'll get banned again, but when.

Be on the lookout for a poster called Third Honeymoon.

lol at "Scrubiak." Rep coming.
Old 11-02-2007   #31
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Looks like Second Honeymoon found a new cause. It's not a matter of if he'll get banned again, but when.

Be on the lookout for a poster called Third Honeymoon.

lol at "Scrubiak." Rep coming.
I just want good coaching. I am not saying he is the worst Head Coach in the NFL or that he is the only reason we are losing, but what I am saying is that he has assembled an absolutely horrible coaching staff and that staff, as a whole, has done a horrible job coaching up guys but more importantly, getting them fired up and properly prepared to go to war on Sundays.

The team is flat and uninspired. That is coaching and it all starts up top. If you have a coach that has no fire or emotion, don't be surprised if the team begins to exhibit those same traits....and they have done that.

I have no cause to champion other than wanting some good football here in Houston. If getting rid of Kubiak is part and parcel of that happening, then consider that my cause du jour.
Old 11-02-2007   #32
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
We're only at the half-way mark in the season and we already have threads
up about the Draft ! Sound familiar ?

Kubiak has had 2 full-cyles (Drafts & free agencys), and if he finishes this season with a grand total of 4 or 5 wins (which I think is a real possibility) that's a step backwards. I hope I'm wrong, hope he wins this weekend, but I don't have a good feeling about it.
Please that has more to do with there being some fans who find the personnel evlauation and speculation surronding the draft more then day to day working of the inseason team. I'm one of them. I'd rather talk prospects then why the line seems to change so radically when the C is replaced.

As for firing Kubiak...why? He has basically gutted this team and is starting over from sctach without the beneift of extra pickls and an expansion draft. Win and losses aside the play on the field is about the best it has ever been, even though the team has been ravaged by injuries (I'll agree that a change may be need to the medical staff). As for the Jimmie Johnson comparisson, and how we need a coach with a championship attitude...you do know that Kubiak has as many Super Bowl rings as Jimmie right? You also know that the NFL has drasticlly changed since the days when Jimmie was runnig the Cowboys, right? Go back and look at what Jimmie did in the salary cap era and tell me how good of a coach he really is. Jimmie was a phenomenal finder and developer of talent (both players and assisants), I would say it is a bit of a stretch to say he was a great coach.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #33
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

you're crazy to think that Kubiak would leave Houston for A&M. This is his dream job. He's the head coach at the highest level in his home town! Not to mention, the teams attitude suits his personality. He's an honest, hard working nice guy. He will be here for a long LONG time. With any luck, so will Rick Smith. Ya'll forget that as was mentioned this is his second year as a head coach. next year we get to increase our talent pool considerably via free agency and the draft.

in regards to why tubberville would leave Auburn for A&M even though the SEC is far and away a better conference, is simple. $$$.

A&M will pay triple what he would make at Auburn. Thats hard to turn down. I still wouldn't be suprised if Sherman ended up taking it though. It makes more sense for him. He wants to be the head guy somewhere.

anyone who wants to fire our head coach after a season and a half doesn't understand a thing about pro football.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #34
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jimmy Johnson was a proven championship level head coach with huge credibility and great personnel skills and had some of the best assistants come with him to Dallas from all over the country. Please dont even compare Kubiak to Jimmah. Kubiak can't even compare much less his horrible assistants.

No comparison. Kubiak is not a proven head coach and has arguable the worst coaching staff of assistants that money can't buy.

it's not HatorAid, it's just Reality Juice. The team has gotten worse, the players arent getting coached up, the team comes out flat and uninspired game after game, the team falls behind 14-21 points before you can say 'Fire Kubiak'.

If we only win 1 or 2 more games the rest of the year, KUBIAK MUST GO...and if the A&M hires him away from us that just makes everything look so much better and keeps more egg from flying at our face.

So was 'The 'ol Ball coach' at Florida. You're better than that. You know that Collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success. The Cowboys gambled, got lucky and won. Personnel skills? Prior to the Cowboys, he called it 'recruiting'. In his first full cycle of drafting they went 1-15.. Pathetic!! Again, Kubiak has won more games in a season and a half, than Jimmy won in two full seasons.

Unfortunately your 'reality' sounds like the youth of today - expecting instant results / gratification. The 'push a button and it happens' mentality. Crucifying a guy after a season and a half is down right ludicrous... 2 head coaches by the start of the teams 7th season.. Sounds like a plan to me...

Let's say for a minute that they fire Kubiak right now.. How long do you think that would set the Texans back?? Another 2 to 3 years... Brilliant. Fire the coach? Talk about creating an unstable environment for players and fans. If I were Dunta or AJ and that happened, I would jump ship ASAP..

I am especially glad that you discount some devastating injuries too.. I typically don't use injuries as an excuse, but I am also a 'realist'.. An offense, minus your two time pro-bowler, your starting center, a rookie WR (that would have contributed more), a QB (that has taken two cheap shots), leads me to beleive that Vince Lombardi would be struggling.

I do have issues with the defensive coordinator and I beleive the Mike Sherman experiment failed, but they are two issues that can be fixed easily.

In the meantime, enjoy your:

Old 11-02-2007   #35
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I just want good coaching. I am not saying he is the worst Head Coach in the NFL or that he is the only reason we are losing, but what I am saying is that he has assembled an absolutely horrible coaching staff and that staff, as a whole, has done a horrible job coaching up guys but more importantly, getting them fired up and properly prepared to go to war on Sundays.
I do not necessarily disagree with that... Thats definetly something Kubiak and Rick Smith need to work on together to rectify.
Old 11-02-2007   #36
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

And by no means do I consider Kubiak the football Messiah here in Houston, my sole point is that a year and a half isnt sufficient to make the assumption to pull the plug
Old 11-02-2007   #37
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So was 'The 'ol Ball coach' at Florida. You're better than that. You know that Collegiate success doesn't necessarily translate to NFL success. The Cowboys gambled, got lucky and won. Personnel skills? Prior to the Cowboys, he called it 'recruiting'. In his first full cycle of drafting they went 1-15.. Pathetic!! Again, Kubiak has won more games in a season and a half, than Jimmy won in two full seasons.

Unfortunately your 'reality' sounds like the youth of today - expecting instant results / gratification. The 'push a button and it happens' mentality. Crucifying a guy after a season and a half is down right ludicrous... 2 head coaches by the start of the teams 7th season.. Sounds like a plan to me...

Let's say for a minute that they fire Kubiak right now.. How long do you think that would set the Texans back?? Another 2 to 3 years... Brilliant. Fire the coach? Talk about creating an unstable environment for players and fans. If I were Dunta or AJ and that happened, I would jump ship ASAP..

I am especially glad that you discount some devastating injuries too.. I typically don't use injuries as an excuse, but I am also a 'realist'.. An offense, minus your two time pro-bowler, your starting center, a rookie WR (that would have contributed more), a QB (that has taken two cheap shots), leads me to beleive that Vince Lombardi would be struggling.

I do have issues with the defensive coordinator and I beleive the Mike Sherman experiment failed, but they are two issues that can be fixed easily.

In the meantime, enjoy your:

Gotta spread more around TB. Great post and couldn't agree more.
Old 11-02-2007   #38
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Kubiak is the reason we have sub-par coordinators. He just doesn't have much clout to bring decent staff here.

If he can get rid of Smith as our defensive coordinator AND find a quality replacement then I am fine with him getting another year to turn things around.

I hold Kubiak responsible for some of the bonehead moves that have been made so I guess that is why I have a shorter leash than some. Since Rick Smith has gotten here, things have gotten better but I will always blame Kubiak for Year 5 of Carr and Years 1-? of Mario. Fair or not, doesn't matter.

The team is just never going to go anywhere until we actually start spending some money on coaching and not just on 2nd and 3rd rate players and 3rd or 4th rate assistant coaches. this staff is embarassing.
Old 11-02-2007   #39
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Dunno about you guys, but I think that Second Honeymoon is the harbinger of doom. Guys get on his $#!7list and their days are numbered.

Gary, Doug wants to see you in his office and make sure you bring your playbook.
Old 11-02-2007   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
These are my issues, as well. I think a HC is only going to be as good as his assistance coaches, and I've wanted Richard Smith gone since last season. Hopefully Kubiak realizes that we have too much talent on our D to put out such mediocre, inconsistent performances. We've got holes, obviously, but c'mon, what kind of goofy preparation is it to leave A. Gates WIDE FREAKIN' OPEN?!? These guys were unprepared and Smith's defensive calls are pathetic. No wonder Dunta is publically voicing displeasure. They are not prepared and are being caught with their pants down.

On the offensive side of the ball, I'm less inclined to give him a free pass. He was billed as an 'offensive genius' as OC at Denver. And he has done well at what is considered his expertise: QB and WRs.

However, if his entire gameplan revolves around establishing a running game, he's failing. Two NFL drafts and we pick up a couple of o-linemen in the third round? It seems so simple that a team that has always suffered from a crappy line would need an infusion of good talent in that regard. How Kubiak can place his entire gameplan on a wobbly line and journeymen RBs makes me question his 'genius'. Coupled with the fact that we do not seem to alter our plans when they do not work, I think he's got to figure out what scheme is going to dominate our future plans between his style and that of Sherman.

Quote:
That's just funny!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read