Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-01-2007   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's behind curtain number 3?

Curtain number 1: The first two games of this season.

"It was a lovely prize," said the contestant. "When the curtain was pulled back, I was shocked! We ran the ball well, we passed the ball vertically and scored TDs left and right, and our oline! Oh man, our oline suddenly looked like it had found sweet redemption for all those years of getting trashed by the media and fans. You know what? Matt Schaub makes the difference. Same oline, different results. Mario's happy and has some sacks, and Amobi is a beast. We didn't panic vs. the Panthers, and we really stuck it to David Carr and his 'new team' that he loves so much. Heck, even the media talking heads are madly in love with our new QB and our new winning ways. All the guys in the locker room are smiling from ear-to-ear. It's looking a lot better, I can tell you that."

Curtain number 2: All of the rest of the games up until Oakland.

"&%$#@!," said the contestant. "We have no running game. Our star QB looks like he's ready to bail already. The oline gives up sacks, we turn the ball over, and teams are running circles around us all game long. In fact, I gotta' begin to wonder about the coaching here. And Dunta? Well, you can kiss him goodbye. I don't blame him one bit. There's no fire in this team. I'd trade what's behind THIS curtain for a can of beans right now."

Curtain number 3: The rest of the season.

(Who knows what's behind THIS curtain?)

Getting hammered by the Chargers offense tells me this, NO...SCRATCH THAT...getting hammered by LenDale White and Kerry Collins and a bunch of no-name WRs on the Titans tells me this: Our defense is YEARS away from being a quality unit. But however many years it takes to get quality defensive players, it doesn't matter unless we have quality defensive coaching to draw out the success that is within those players. Nobody here can honestly say that our coaching is better than our players. It's about on the same level with one another, if you ask me. We need to hire a contract killer, a defensive guru who is excelling in TODAY'S game, and we're not getting anywhere until that happens (IMO). Draft all the Dunta Robinsons you want, and they will all leave the team like he's going to do very soon if you have a sub-standard DC at the controls. Bank on it.

The stark difference from games 1 & 2 and the rest of the games afterward is amazing. This has been two totally different teams.

Let's not gloss over a few things here: 1. Amobi's mysterious benching. Was he vocal about the DC's gameplanning and playcalling and therefore got rebuked by Kubiak who was sticking up for law & order and the pride of the coaching staff? 2. What was up with the presser comments from Kubiak where he played coy with the media and wouldn't give out the rest of some dirty little laundry he had dished out? And now 3. we have Dunta, who is never shy about letting his feelings show when things are getting heavy in the locker room...he's had it.

The Saints looked all but dead, and now they are putting it together.

Why can't this team do the same? CAN it do the same? Or is there a funk on this team that requires a complete cleansing from top to bottom, and from corner to corner--Everybody but the owner getting canned, in other words? The trainers, the janitors, the office staff, the guy who brings in the bottled water for the water cooler. Everybody is deported. Immediately. After all, how many YEARS does it take to be so far removed from Capers/Casserly before we stop and ask "Wait a second, this is a whole new staff with a whole new system, and the same results: No "fire" on the team, guys playing like it's flag football out there, and we're generally unable to do ANYTHING of any real value on Sundays." Does it really have to do with the head coach, or is this a top-to-bottom deal of EVERYBODY being medicore and causing everything to therefore be average, as well?

Hmmm........

I don't know what's going to happen the rest of the year. But it seems that this team just finds ways to lose, finds ways to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory. I know that Schaub is shell-shocked, and to what degree it's really his fault is unknown at the moment. If we have Itchy providing some supressing fire for Schaub, as Ahman did in games 1 and 2, I think the confidence level of this whole team will skyrocket like it did in Games 1 & 2. But that's assuming that we can actually have a RB finish the season without being placed on I.R.....an unlikely thing to happen, IMO.

I just wonder if McNair runs this team with too much kindness and too much blind loyalty. He's a nice guy. He wants nice guys. And then there's Jerry Jones who will sell his momma for another ring. I used to be really really down on Jerry for that sort of mentality--The spazzoid owner who tinkers with everything and cares about nothing but winning. But you know what? I've come around on Jerry. Say what you will, he's TRYING to win and he's TRYING to make his fans proud.

I'm afraid we are the L.A. Clippers of the NFL--A well-ran organization that looks good, is profitable, but will never really achieve anything signifcant for its players and fans. We're a show pony.

BUT if you have a rubber band in your pocket, you can trade what's behind curtain number 3...for what's inside this little box....
Old 11-01-2007   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What's behind curtain number 3?

Behind curtain no. 3.....A BIG FAT SUCKER!!! For all us suckas!, of course.

We, the fans, are powerless....well, we do have our voices and our pocketbooks. Our defense doesn't respond to our voices at the games, so will our owner respond to the pocketbooks?

oh, that's right, I'm a sucka! and will renew my season tickets year after year regardless of what the team does, because that's what suckas! do. We delude ourselves with terms like "hardcore" and "fanatic", but I think we should just call ourselves like it is: we are suckas! (hey, buy an "s" and we can be "suckass", just like our team! )

I'm to the point of just laughing hysterically for no reason at all. There are so many fundamental problems with this team that I'm not going to try to slice and dice them all like I have a clue (if I did have a clue I'd be working for a team instead of rooting for one).
Old 11-01-2007   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Behind curtain no. 3.....A BIG FAT SUCKER!!! For all us suckas!, of course.

We, the fans, are powerless....well, we do have our voices and our pocketbooks. Our defense doesn't respond to our voices at the games, so will our owner respond to the pocketbooks?

oh, that's right, I'm a sucka! and will renew my season tickets year after year regardless of what the team does, because that's what suckas! do. We delude ourselves with terms like "hardcore" and "fanatic", but I think we should just call ourselves like it is: we are suckas! (hey, buy an "s" and we can be "suckass", just like our team! )

I'm to the point of just laughing hysterically for no reason at all. There are so many fundamental problems with this team that I'm not going to try to slice and dice them all like I have a clue (if I did have a clue I'd be working for a team instead of rooting for one).
You had to go "Wheel of Fortune" on me, didn't you?

You can only buy vowels, Double Barrel.

McNair brought NFL back to Houston, isn't that enough? Sometimes I feel like we're expected to just be grateful that we have a pro team again. Daddy McNair needs to spend the war chest after this year. He needs to use the entire CAP for a change, and bring us playmakers in positions we've never had them before: Running back, defensive BACKS, and an entire offensive line.

AND...he needs to spend a little more of some cap-free money on coaches that can support the head coach. Maybe there's NO head coach out there who'll succeed as long as we bring in only what McNair can afford.

The more I stick around and watch this franchise, the more I begin to think that McNair is in this for profitability and making sure it's run like a mainstream business. It's supposed to be, to an extent, but it's also supposed to be the sort of thing that a guy like Bill Cowher cries because he gets to hand the Lombardi Trophy to his owner, who is equally teary-eyed about winning the Super Bowl (again). You see impassioned owenrs, such as the Colts' owner, and their entire organization basically crying because they finally won it all.

And then there's us.

I just love the CBS shots of President Bush and Barbara, in their luxury suite during the Titans game a couple weeks ago. They were having a blast, yucking it up together (with other people) and all giggles as we were getting our rears handed to us during the course of the game. THAT'S the sort of attitude that I'm talking about: The care-free, "I don't really care about the game because I'm having such a swell time eating great food and drinking free drinks all day" attitude that I think THIS franchise is built upon.

We're "made" to look juuuuuuuuuust good enough to be an NFL team, but at the end of the day...Daddy McNair is pinching the buffalo nickel until it poots.

Watch that line, Bob. Make sure you keep the Texans in the black. In fact, make sure you stay verrrry far from the red...make sure you provide yourself enough cushion to ensure profitability.

THIS is the mentality that gets us Thrift Store Defensive Coordinators that no other NFL team would even THINK about hiring.

And if that hurts some of you, if it hurts to see a fan rip the owner, then I am sorry. I did this same thing last year, and I got royally chewed out by 99% of the board here. And nothing's changed when you think about it. We gave away two 2nd round picks, which is OK with Bob because THAT didn't cost anything...AND, it actually means Bob doesn't have to pay out 2nd round money for two years in a row.

Hey, it's a win-win for Bobby McNair!
Old 11-01-2007   #4
Busa_Bill
Rookie

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

I'm not going to pretend to know as much about football as most on here, but I agree with your point. The fire and determination to restore the NFL to Houston has given way to moderation and profit taking. We are expected to be satisfied with a hometown team without regard to success or even a competitive spirit.
Bargain taking has become the rule, with exception to spending the "smart money" on franchise faces.

The determined fan deserves better than that. The average fan deserves better than that. Our children we take to the games deserve better than that.

Only when the bottom line begins to move the other way will there be any true interest in change. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Unfortunately, later than sooner will this become a need for the ownership.

My .02 FWIW
Busa_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Well, we've already had the car and the zonk, so I'm guessing a trip.

Hopefully to Arizona or Hawaii, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #6
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Still waiting to see, but we played the best second half of the season under Kubiak last season and it was the 1st time we played a better 2nd half than 1st half of a season. Second halves in red......not giving up yet.

2006 (6-10)
2-6
4-4

2005 (2-14)
1-7
1-7

2004 (7-9)
4-4
3-5

2003 (5-11)
3-5
2-6

2002 (4-12)
2-6
2-6
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcoolguy View Post
Still waiting to see, but we played the best second half of the season under Kubiak last season and it was the 1st time we played a better 2nd half than 1st half of a season. Second halves in red......not giving up yet.

2006 (6-10)
2-6
4-4

2005 (2-14)
1-7
1-7

2004 (7-9)
4-4
3-5

2003 (5-11)
3-5
2-6

2002 (4-12)
2-6
2-6
This is a cool and easy stat. Rep. I think we are going to go 3-5 for the rest of the year just as we started it. 2002 and 2005. All years of severe inconsistancy throughout the team especially in the offensive line and secondary. All with times of absolutely horrid play.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2007   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this team just hasn't focused enough on the O-line and the secondary in the draft over the years. The D-line will be great some day. Sux that we have to wait, but it will eventually happen. Meantime, we need some high draft picks spent on those two major weaknesses we got. Yes, I know, we are sucking rotten eggs at RB right now, but surely we can find somebody better without having to spend a high draft pick on that, because those other two problems I keep bringing up..........they ain't goin' away 'till we fix them.

Your offense ain't doin' squat in the run or the pass until you get some REAL O-linemen that go out there and flatten people. Not saying we gotta replace everybody.

Keep throwin' sorry excuses for secondaries out there and it ain't gonna matter what the rest of your D or your whole O does, cuz you're gonna be chasing the other team from behind in most every game. Won't do you any good to put up 30 points, if your opponent can put up 45 when they really want to--and I'm not even talking about the Patriots. They could put up 75 against us--if they really wanted to.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #9
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think this team just hasn't focused enough on the O-line and the secondary in the draft over the years. The D-line will be great some day. Sux that we have to wait, but it will eventually happen. Meantime, we need some high draft picks spent on those two major weaknesses we got. Yes, I know, we are sucking rotten eggs at RB right now, but surely we can find somebody better without having to spend a high draft pick on that, because those other two problems I keep bringing up..........they ain't goin' away 'till we fix them.

Your offense ain't doin' squat in the run or the pass until you get some REAL O-linemen that go out there and flatten people. Not saying we gotta replace everybody.

Keep throwin' sorry excuses for secondaries out there and it ain't gonna matter what the rest of your D or your whole O does, cuz you're gonna be chasing the other team from behind in most every game. Won't do you any good to put up 30 points, if your opponent can put up 45 when they really want to--and I'm not even talking about the Patriots. They could put up 75 against us--if they really wanted to.
I had a nightmare once of Faggins guarding Moss. It made Lee Evans look like a joke to Faggins.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default curtain number 3

Salaam goes down with a major kee injury and the Texans are left to scramble for a replacemnet at OLT for the rest of the season. Twenty games and counting.
Old 11-02-2007   #11
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: curtain number 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Salaam goes down with a major kee injury and the Texans are left to scramble for a replacemnet at OLT for the rest of the season. Twenty games and counting.
May be a blessing in disguise. It'd force our hand on the matter.
Old 11-03-2007   #12
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 89488 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dead horse. I know I've been beating this drum for a while... Its not breathing.

We have 3 HUGE holes on the defense. Those 3 holes can be plugged in no more than two off seasons. The sky is not falling. I'm not going to describe why again.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read