Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texan left tackle 2008

Charles Spencer: May not make it back as a left tackle & little evidence to support he could be the guy in 2008.

Salaam: Like it or not he is the starter this year. No one has beat him out.

Winston: He is steady at RT. Would you give him a shot?

Pitts: Rarely misses a game and has played LT. Has the contract already.

A draft pick like Ryan Clady that should be available: How are the two stud LTs taken recently in first round doing? A mid to high first round LT is not a guaranteed starter and may need 2-3 years to come into his own.

A free agent: uh, who? Victor Riley types. Most of quality probably will re-sign.

Other options I may have missed for this demanding spot?
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #2
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan left tackle 2008

You missed Jordan Black and Brandon Frye......yikes. Looks like another long year with Salaam.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
You missed Jordan Black and Brandon Frye......yikes. Looks like another long year with Salaam.
Neither has a shot at being the starter.
Old 10-31-2007   #4
3andOUT
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Charles Spencer: May not make it back as a left tackle & little evidence to support he could be the guy in 2008.

Salaam: Like it or not he is the starter this year. No one has beat him out.

Winston: He is steady at RT. Would you give him a shot?

Pitts: Rarely misses a game and has played LT. Has the contract already.

A draft pick like Ryan Clady that should be available: How are the two stud LTs taken recently in first round doing? A mid to high first round LT is not a guaranteed starter and may need 2-3 years to come into his own.

A free agent: uh, who? Victor Riley types. Most of quality probably will re-sign.

Other options I may have missed for this demanding spot?
I hope Spence can come back and pick up where he left off before Ronny Dayne mounted him, but obviously you're going to have to make a tough decision with him on whether he can come back or whether you need to find another LT.

I am definitely not in favor of taking a 2nd year guy who has just cracked the starting lineup and gotten comfortable in his position and moving him to the opposite side where he has to learn new angles and technique. Plus you typically face the best end on the left side of the offense and I'm not sure how he handles facing those guys on a consistent basis.

Pitts has never been more than okay at LT, but I would consider putting him there if you can get a better interior lineman in the draft or FA.

The line is more about getting guys on the same page, knowing eachother's tendencies and working together as a unit than it is about individual greatness. They need to get a decent line and let them fight together for an extended period of time and I think you will see tons of improvement. You can't just keep taking guys out and throwing other guys in and expect to be better as a unit.
3andOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Charles Spencer
Jordan Black
Rashod Butler
Brandon Frye
Eric Winston
Chester Pitts
Salaam
F.A.
Draft pick
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm in favor of trying Winston at LT. He was a top 10 type talent, the best in his class at LT before his injury. Obviously it took him a while to recover, but his instinct and coaching at Miami has no gone anywhere. He is a very capable OT, and I think he could play LT at a very solid level for us next year.
Old 10-31-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not like Winston is playing the RT position lights out...given he's a 2nd year 3rd round pick he's obviously doing good.

Is there any chance Winston is BETTER at LT than RT? I'd like to see the coaches play with this in practice.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2007   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is there any chance Winston is BETTER at LT than RT? I'd like to see the coaches play with this in practice.
We've got some guys who hang around this Board who say Winston is more of a LT than a RT because he's athletic, he's more of a finesse type than the
more power type players who tend to play on the strong-side (right) side of the OLine. And they campaign regularly for him to be moved to LT next year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #9
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
and coaching at Miami has no gone anywhere.
OK I agree with you about giving Winston a chance at LT. But the knock on him and the reason he dropped in the draft was a twofold, one was slow feet, in the senior bowl his feet appeared to be cemented to the field, now part of that could have been his injury not having the full time to recover.

The second knock was his total lack of technique. He was bullying lesser talent in college. Again the senior bowl exposed his lack of coaching.

When the Texans drafted him and pigeoned holed him into the RT position they also set him back with regard to his comfort zone. He was asked to move and then do everything backwards, that is hard to do. Some guys can do it seamlessly and others take time.

All that said, he is my first option, Pitts is my second option, lets see what Frye has to offer, and go from there. I would look very hard at OT in the 1st round of the draft, after a trade down, under current rankings and trade charts we could get Ryan Clady and a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I am not counting on Spencer to make it back to LT, I hope he can still play some OL position for us.

BTW I like the idea of trying Frye at OC. Why not?
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #10
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

If we would have gone after Gather in the Sup. Draft like we should have, we wouldn't be having this problem. Sorry I know that it is too late to be crying about this, but it still erks me that we could have had him for our third rounder (there won't be anyone close to that talent when we draft this year).
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
OK I agree with you about giving Winston a chance at LT. But the knock on him and the reason he dropped in the draft was a twofold, one was slow feet, in the senior bowl his feet appeared to be cemented to the field, now part of that could have been his injury not having the full time to recover.

The second knock was his total lack of technique. He was bullying lesser talent in college. Again the senior bowl exposed his lack of coaching.

When the Texans drafted him and pigeoned holed him into the RT position they also set him back with regard to his comfort zone. He was asked to move and then do everything backwards, that is hard to do. Some guys can do it seamlessly and others take time.

All that said, he is my first option, Pitts is my second option, lets see what Frye has to offer, and go from there. I would look very hard at OT in the 1st round of the draft, after a trade down, under current rankings and trade charts we could get Ryan Clady and a 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I am not counting on Spencer to make it back to LT, I hope he can still play some OL position for us.

BTW I like the idea of trying Frye at OC. Why not?
If you are right and we can swap first and pick up a 2nd and a 3rd. I say "done deal". Which do you think would benefit us more, swap firsts and get another (Dallas) first or swapping and getting a 2nd & 3rd? I realize it is difficult as not knowing where any picks would be. Just an interesting idea as I understand the first three rounds offer more talent than last year and we did very well then.
Old 11-01-2007   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Jake Long, Michigan could still be available when the Texans select or trade down, add a 2nd rd. pick (Center Alex Mack, Cal) & pick Ryan Clady, Boise State, that would provide instant infusion to the O-Line

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texan left tackle 2008

If we draft an LT, and Spencer comes back and plays well, how easily could they adjust to playing a guard? Or RT and cold Winston play guard?

IE IMO it's time to stop banking on unkown injuries and draft, ASSUMING if Spencer does come back we wouldn't be wasting a player.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
If we draft an LT, and Spencer comes back and plays well, how easily could they adjust to playing a guard? Or RT and cold Winston play guard?

IE IMO it's time to stop banking on unkown injuries and draft, ASSUMING if Spencer does come back we wouldn't be wasting a player.
That is an assumption I do not want to make. I want the best tackle we can draft, if Long is available I get him. I think I saw a mock showing him going 1st pick. If he is not available and keep in mind the picks of LT in upper first round have not set the world on fire, I would hope someone would trade with us. I am open to an RB but only two are worth a top ten pick, McFadden and Jonathan Stewart. Some like Ray Rice but I have not seen any mention of him recently.

We seem to forget Spencer looked good but only played in a few games. We may be projecting too much even if he comes back 100% healthy. Our O line is so bad, we should go for LT even if C.S. comes back.
Old 11-01-2007   #15
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

The LT needs to be fixed with a resounding slam dunk in the draft. The position is that critical. I don't think it should be fixed with a developmental guy, unless the guy is already in house and will be on the field next September. I'll beat my dead horse and say I don't want the Texans to try another free agent at left tackle. I have yet to see it work well, and I think they need to try a new tactic.

First round, trade up if need be. Get the best or second-best tackle coming out of the NCAAs. Somebody who is as ready to play as a draft pick can be.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #16
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

Just me, but I really don't think Spencer's coming back. Even if he does, I think he won't make final cuts next year. Too bad of an injury and too much time on the sidelines.
Old 11-01-2007   #17
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Texan left tackle 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
We seem to forget Spencer looked good but only played in a few games. We may be projecting too much even if he comes back 100% healthy. Our O line is so bad, we should go for LT even if C.S. comes back.

My question is can an LT play RT and can a RT/LT switch to guard?

I'm all for drafting an LT, but what happens to Spencer if he comes back and wins the LT job or wins a starting job but not LT?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93054 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

They need to take an LT, but will they? Nope

Its going to be an RB or a CB, someone McNair can market
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm all for drafting an LT, but what happens to Spencer if he comes back and wins the LT job or wins a starting job but not LT?
Supposedly, on the Texans they can do that and more. Most of the players are on the roster because they are swing players, though I have only seen McKinney "swing" to other positions.

What I have heard is that changing from one side of the ball to the other is difficult for offensive linemen. It's retraining your thinking process and the movements of hands and feet.

It is possible to switch, but very difficult and not normally recommended.
Old 11-01-2007   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I think the answer to your question is yes. Winston was a LT converted to right and though not a candidate for pro bowl seemingly has done a good job.
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor...on_eric00.html

I think many O tackles are converted to guard and do well. Injuries to our key players have crushed us the last two years.

Take any good team and remove their best W/R, starting center, starting RB, starting SS, starting back up SS, #3 W/R and then have your starting QB knocked out of a couple games. Most teams would have a dismal record also.

And then there are our turn overs...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read