Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default Schaub hasn't been roughed up that much--

And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently. I mean, that was a good whack he got yesterday, but it wasn't near as bad as many hits NFL QBs routinely get. Everybody was sort of standing still and the guy launches at Schaub from a dead stop. A big hit, but not a monster. On top of which Schaub has about four other injuries I've heard about--leg, hip, back. And we've got like a dozen sacks total?

Isn't anyone beginning to wonder about the guy's durability?

And did anyone notice that his play Sunday BEFORE the hit was, to be kind, erratic? He looked shell-shocked, nervous, scared, like he couldn't wait to get that damn ball out of his hands so he wouldn't get hit.

Like everybody else I was a big fan at the beginning of the season, but I gotta say I'm beginning to have serious doubts now. Of course, as a career backup, no one ever had any idea about Schaub's durability because he'd never been tested under fire. But we're only 8 weeks in and he looks down for the count.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #2
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub hasn't been roughed up that much--

I think you are way off the mark on this one. The hit he took on Sunday was absolutely brutal and would have taken out most NFL quarterbacks sans Favre. Furthermore, the hit(s) he took against the Titans were also pretty physical and it was not surprising to see him leave the game.

Two weeks in a row our team has let the opposition "cheap shot" our starting quarterback without any on-the-field "support." That is what troubles me the most at this point...
Old 10-30-2007   #3
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
I think you are way off the mark on this one. The hit he took on Sunday was absolutely brutal and would have taken out most NFL quarterbacks sans Favre. Furthermore, the hit(s) he took against the Titans were also pretty physical and it was not surprising to see him leave the game.

Two weeks in a row our team has let the opposition "cheap shot" our starting quarterback without any on-the-field "support." That is what troubles me the most at this point...
I agree 100%.

Next time some BS like that cheap-shot happens to our field marshall, I want to see some defensive players spitting chicklets.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Ah, I think your wrong, too.

ANY QB who has been hit hard that many times would have sat out yesterday.

I remember one hit he took the Titans game (I believe it's the one where he was knocked out of the game for good), the guy put his entire body weight on Schaub plus the helmet to hemet.

Pretty much every snap he's taken in the past 3 weeks he's had the snot knocked out of him.
Old 10-30-2007   #5
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently. I mean, that was a good whack he got yesterday, but it wasn't near as bad as many hits NFL QBs routinely get. Everybody was sort of standing still and the guy launches at Schaub from a dead stop. A big hit, but not a monster. On top of which Schaub has about four other injuries I've heard about--leg, hip, back. And we've got like a dozen sacks total?

And did anyone notice that his play Sunday BEFORE the hit was, to be kind, erratic? He looked shell-shocked, nervous, scared, like he couldn't wait to get that damn ball out of his hands so he wouldn't get hit.

Like everybody else I was a big fan at the beginning of the season, but I gotta say I'm beginning to have serious doubts now. Of course, as a career backup, no one ever had any idea about Schaub's durability because he'd never been tested under fire. But we're only 8 weeks in and he looks down for the count.
Honestly, I thought he looked like David Carr on Sunday. Throwing short on 3rd down, 2 picks, and just looked scared. I know he's better than that and it pissed me off.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm beginning to question his durability as well. He's no David Carr in that regard. As bad a QB Carr was, he is one tough dude.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #7
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

I don't think you can compare the hits Schaub has taken with say, YKW, for most of the latter's sacks. Oh, there were a few early in his career where he was smacked around, and what happened - he got injured.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2007   #8
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm beginning to question his durability as well. He's no David Carr in that regard. As bad a QB Carr was, he is one tough dude.
I don't think anyone will dissagree with that.
Old 10-30-2007   #9
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If yall knuckleheads have watched the season you will notice that Schaub has a bad habbit of throwing the ball high or behind. I am just wondering how long it will take Kubes, (who says he saw a lot of positives on the team against the Chargers) to notice any thing wrong with Schaub. He might be our QB for now but Sage is starting Sunday so we will see who is coming to play.
Old 10-30-2007   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I don't think anyone will dissagree with that.
Panther fans might. It didn't take him long to get his back hurt and have a 99 year old retired qb take over the starting role.
Old 10-31-2007   #11
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well let's see--he avoids tons of sacks which wouldn't have been avoided before as you have so non-subtlety pointed out in past seasons. He has been injured not on sacks but on flagged penalties, but sure, why not--he's a pansy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
If yall knuckleheads have watched the season you will notice that Schaub has a bad habbit of throwing the ball high or behind.
Well it's a shame some of the knuckleheads around here haven't noticed he is still connecting at a top 10 percentage rate, top ten yards per attempt and lots of strikes down field--better to mis-throw a 40 yd pass than not attempt one for a season.
Old 10-31-2007   #12
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I swear to everloving God, I cannot believe some of the nonsense I read on this board sometimes. Schaub has been probably the only bright spot on the team so far this season, and yet some of you have the audacity to question his 'durability' from the dirty hits he's been taking.

I think I'm just going to hang out at the No Spin Zone from now on. If I stay here at Texans Talk, I'm going get banned sooner rather than later. I just can't handle this stupidity.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #13
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69969 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

So questioning his durability is out. What about his accuracy. Surely you're not going to lambaste me for questioning that?

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
So questioning his durability is out. What about his accuracy. Surely you're not going to lambaste me for questioning that?

Mike
Yeah I will since he is connecting on 67.9. It was even better until the last two games, which were horrible. He had no time to throw and he is working with receivers you do not even like in the first place and he is still producing without a top flight WR.

His QB rating until the last two games was Top 10. The line has regressed and has been horrid, not to mention he has done all this without a running game and mostly with fall forward for two yards Dayne as the running back.

Oh by the way the 67.9 is 3rd in the league, wow he sucks why the heck is he not #1.
Old 10-31-2007   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

My only problem with Schaub right now is that he showed up hurt on sunday. He's beat up, and his lack of mobility due to the bruising made him panic a few times. It's kinda like with Jacoby Jones, don't say you're ready when you're not.

Force Schaub to sit the Oakland game out, not as a punishment because no punishment is needed really, but to let him heal up so that next time we put him on the field he'll be ready to go 100%.

On a note, I guess he WILL be sitting the next one out if the signing of Nall has any meaning.
Old 10-31-2007   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 106609 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And yet he spends a lot of time doing dramatic head-holding on the sidelines recently.
Ever had a concussion? It's not dramatic head holding. That's just a ludicrous statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #17
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well let's see--he avoids tons of sacks which wouldn't have been avoided before as you have so non-subtlety pointed out in past seasons. He has been injured not on sacks but on flagged penalties, but sure, why not--he's a pansy.

Well it's a shame some of the knuckleheads around here haven't noticed he is still connecting at a top 10 percentage rate, top ten yards per attempt and lots of strikes down field--better to mis-throw a 40 yd pass than not attempt one for a season.
Exactly, and how many passes were flat out dropped last week?

I would also like to see the mb people who are complaining about Schaub being a wuss, take the hits he took in the last two games and see if they are still able to complain afterwards.
Old 10-31-2007   #18
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Can't argue here.

You could bounce a ball-peen hammer off of David Carr's head and it wouldn't faze him. You'd still get the same results, though.

I'll take Schaub's fundamental skills over Carr's durability any day.
Mr. White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Point 1) Schaub has been sacked 12 times Rosenfels once .... thats a total of 13 sacks . The sacks arent the only time QB takes a hit . In general they can protect themselves and the ball on the majority of plays tha result in a sack . Its those plays where they stand in the pocket and take a big hit after the ball is released that tends to result in injuries Or in the case of Sunday being blindsided after an INT ......

2) Schaub benig shellshocked ? I dont think thats the case , ever played football and had your bell rung .... The avg person would probably be in Ben Taub after some of the hits Schaub has taken . What bothers me is that no one on his team got pissed off when he's taken a big hit some of which have been un-necessary . If I'm an O-lineman and someone hits my QB I want retrebution ..... That guy is going to pay next time he's with-in striking distance .

3) You are correct , no one had any idea if Schaub could withstand a full seasons worth of snaps . But in todays NFL having one guy take all your snaps at QB is pretty much a pipe dream ..... Yes its week 8 and Schaub has missed a few series but take a look at how many other teams have had multiple players at the QB position thus far and you'll see its not an isolated problem . I'll save ya the trouble of looking and list the teams that have had significant playing time my more than one person at QB .

Arizona 3 Kurt Warner , Tim Rattay , Matt Leinart
Atlanta 2 Joey Harrington , Byron Leftwich
Baltimore 2 Steve McNair , Kyle Boller
Buffalo 2 Trent Edwards , J.P. Losman
Carolina 4 Jake Delhome , David Carr , Vinny Testaverde , Matt Moore
Chiago 2 Brian Griese , Rex Grossman
Cleveland 2 Derek Anderson , Charlie Frye
Detriot 2 Jon Kitna , J.T. O'Sullivan
Jacksonville 2 David Garrard , Quinn Gray
Kansas City 2 Brodie Croyle , Damon Huard
Miami 2 Trent Green , Cleo Lemon
Minnisota 3 Brooks Bollinger , Kelly Holcomb , Tarvaris Jackson
New York Giants 3 Eli Manning , Jared Lorenzen , Anthony Wright
New Yourk Jets 2 Chad Pennington , Kellen Clemens
Oakland 2 Daunte Culpepper , Josh McCown
San Francisco 2 Trent Dilfer , Alex Smith
Seattle 2 Matt Hasselbeck , Seneca Wallace
St.Louis 2 Marc Bulger , Gus Frerotte
Tampa Bay 3 Jeff Garcia , Bruce Gradkowski , Luke McCown
Tennesse 2 Vince Young , Kerry Collins

Thats a pretty long list and it will only get longer as the season wears on ....

Schaub hasnt played perfect football by any stretch of the imiganation but considering how poor the running game has been and the loss AJ and JJ as well as Ahman Green , I cant put a lot of the blame on Schaub for the offense's inability to be consistant .... In the NFL if you cant run the ball you wont win many games . Before we can really evaluate Schaub this team needs to fix the O-line and runing game ..... Give me 5 guy's who take it personal when their QB gets hit and dont get shoved backwards in every short yardage situation ..... what this team has aint gettin it done .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Well said.

The Good News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

The Bad News About David Carr:

He's a tough dude who doesn't miss games.

I hope Florence gets a fine that is worse than a uniform violation fine.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read