Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-31-2007   #21
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If the Texans lose to Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Personally, I am trying to figure out what offense they are going to put on the field.

They have one functional QB. And a guy who couldn't make the Bills' squad.

They have no functional RBs. Green's "goal" is to play on Sunday, Dayne got hurt again the last game, and Echemandu pulled a hamstring, something handy to have as a running back. Does Walker get activated? Or do we just activate the guys we have, and hope they can take more than 5 snaps before they fall down and can't get up.

Their best TE has an ankle sprain. Expect, uh, Dreesen to have a big game.

Andre Davis got nicked last game. Are the Texans going to sport the only all white receiver corps in the league?

Flanagan got dinged. Is that dinged dinged or just dingalinged or ding dong daddy from dumas? Does he play, or are the Texans one deep with Chris White on the road against the Raiders defense. <shudder>

Given all the injuries to the offense, I am thinking we are due for another offensive linemen to go down.

So how do you game plan this? You can't do the shut down the passing game, we only have one functional QB (i.e. The Texans game plan post 2006 Raiders Game), because our running backs are crushed too.

So the game plan is: Whoever can function the best will get the ball. Nobody can get hurt so we will just have to bring some duct tape just in case.

Eek.
Well, from the looks of how things have gone these past few games, here's what we might see each offensive series:
1st down-Kneel
2nd down-kneel
3rd down-kneel
4th down-punt
Hopefully D-Ryans can pull out a win similar to last season.
Old 10-31-2007   #22
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a crippling loss for the organaziation and fan base? This was supposed to be the year the Texans made or at least came very close to the playoffs. If we lose Sunday, we will be 3-6, aand even matching last year's 6-10 record will be difficult. A loss Sunday gives us a 6 game stretch that looks like this,
I don't know how anyone, in good faith, can make that statement. Who thought we would make or come close to making the playoffs before the season started? I don't know if this was the year the Texans were SUPPOSED to do anything other than rebuild and solidify.

I would say that their inability to rebuild and solidify has been the greatest disappointment, not their record. While their record is indicative of a number of issues, the frustration and disappointment goes beyond just that.

There are a great deal of intangibles that are starting to wear on me, starting with Kubiak's endorsement each week of some of the teams weaknesses. He's starting to lose credibility with me when he trots out how Mario is playing good, how the Oline is playing good...while I realize he can't through his players under the bus, this is too much. It's on the verge of pandering, and it surely isn't true. Texans fans, we ain't stupid, and we need an organization that will realize that and hire folks who are straight shooters and full of fire.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #23
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 49241 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
HATE TO SAY IT BUT EVERY LOSS PUTS US IN BETTER POSTION TO DRAFT A QUALITY O-LINEMAN, time to start thinking about how to improve this team next year. i bought into the hype after the 2-0 start but we lack talent everywhere. we are probably 2 yrs away from being competitive, hell just look at us compared to our division
When is it going to come to a time and the Texans aren't in the top eight year in and year out for draft picks? I can understand two or three years getting the pick of the litter, but year 7? Come on!
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
TC,

Wow, your post really put some perspective on how difficult a position we are in. Didn't realize that Dayne was "dinged" as well...

Thankfully, the Raiders rush defense is so poor that we could probably roll out Walker at HB and have some success. Not so sure we are going to be able to have much success in the passing game. Is J. Jones going to start?
Oh, wait, yeah, we have Jones back so it won't be the all white receiving corps. Though I will say that Jones has not looked like himself since he got injured.

He doesn't look right doing returns.

And it is hard to say what Jones is supposed to look like. He was barely getting his feet under him when he got injured.
Old 10-31-2007   #25
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
If the Texans lose to Oakland...

The world will still spin on it's axis and I will still be a fan.
yep. And I'll still put my pants on one leg at a time.

I was hoping for a .500 season, which is still possible regardless of probability.

I'm a firm believing in walking before running, so expecting playoffs from a team that has never won more games than lost in a single season is placing expectations beyond reality.

As far as the 'bandwagon fan' comments, if you are still rooting for this team after 5.5 dismal seasons - regardless if you are full of optimism, pessimism, realism, or any other 'ism - then you are a Texans fan. Fairweather fans left this sinking ship a long time ago.
Old 10-31-2007   #26
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

If I were a betting man, I wouldn't have entitled this thread If the Texans lose to Oakland.

Oakland's looking like a real football team right now. They've just had some bad breaks this season.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #27
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 170382 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Oh, wait, yeah, we have Jones back so it won't be the all white receiving corps. Though I will say that Jones has not looked like himself since he got injured.

He doesn't look right doing returns.

And it is hard to say what Jones is supposed to look like. He was barely getting his feet under him when he got injured.
Glad someone else noticed it. He's missing the umpf he displayed in PRE-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2007   #28
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

I"m with TC. If anyone else gets hurt, we aren't even going to have anyone to put on the field. We are going to have to concede the year. Echimandu is hurt too. If Sage goes down, we are totally finished.

I've never seen anything like it. How does this happen?
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #29
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

if the texans lose to oakland, how 'bout them rockets.
Old 10-31-2007   #30
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
I"m with TC. If anyone else gets hurt, we aren't even going to have anyone to put on the field. We are going to have to concede the year. Echimandu is hurt too. If Sage goes down, we are totally finished.

I've never seen anything like it. How does this happen?
Aren't NFL teams supposed to have trainers and folks that work on conditioning? Or are all our injuries contact injuries?

I ask, because I don't know.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #31
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Aren't NFL teams supposed to have trainers and folks that work on conditioning? Or are all our injuries contact injuries?

That';s what I was thinking. Several of them are contact injuries, but most of them are pulled hamstrings, pulled muscles, knees, etc.
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #32
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Glad someone else noticed it. He's missing the umpf he displayed in PRE-season.
It is almost like he is playing scared - in fear of getting hurt again. The wild abandon running is gone completely. I certainly hope he gets over it..sooner rather than later. He is also making the strangest decisions putting us at a terrible field position. If his shoulder is still bothering him - he needs to sit out until it is healed completely cuz he sure isn't doing us any good this way.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #33
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
I don't know how anyone, in good faith, can make that statement. Who thought we would make or come close to making the playoffs before the season started? I don't know if this was the year the Texans were SUPPOSED to do anything other than rebuild and solidify.

I would say that their inability to rebuild and solidify has been the greatest disappointment, not their record. While their record is indicative of a number of issues, the frustration and disappointment goes beyond just that.

There are a great deal of intangibles that are starting to wear on me, starting with Kubiak's endorsement each week of some of the teams weaknesses. He's starting to lose credibility with me when he trots out how Mario is playing good, how the Oline is playing good...while I realize he can't through his players under the bus, this is too much. It's on the verge of pandering, and it surely isn't true. Texans fans, we ain't stupid, and we need an organization that will realize that and hire folks who are straight shooters and full of fire.
During preseason and the off season a lot of people thought the team did solidfy certain positions, including the O-Line (by getting rid of ykw), including myself from what I saw. I have to admit I did not think the entire line could and would look like crap when McKinny going down but that is exactly what has happened. 5 years of bad contracts, poor drafting and signing of players who did not fit a system but were being made to fit a sytem can not be fixed over night it takes time so I am not sure what you mean by solidfy. The Texans have found WR besides AJ which was not the case in previous years.

LB, Clark has looked good at times and bad at times but still an upgrade over what was there. Bennett has shown promise and looks like he should be at the very least a nickle for years to come. If he continues to improve he shold be starting by next year. So that is building or I should say fixing what has been screwed up.

Quote:

90% of the injuries are contact injuries, Echimandu (whatever) is a hammy which is not contact. I said 90% but he is the only one I can think of that is not contact related.
Old 10-31-2007   #34
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
90% of the injuries are contact injuries, Echimandu (whatever) is a hammy which is not contact. I said 90% but he is the only one I can think of that is not contact related.
They are now describing Echimandu's injury as a deep contusion--that sounds like contact.
Old 10-31-2007   #35
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
i really really can't stand people like you. Tanking games already and we aren't even at our bye? Jeez.
i'm not talking about tanking games, i just don't see us winning another game. the amount of injuries we've suffered is down right sickening. who are we starting at rb and qb this week? yeah we beat oakland last year but they did everything they could to give us that win. tanking is down right stupid and not what i was saying.
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #36
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
They are now describing Echimandu's injury as a deep contusion--that sounds like contact.
Yeah I read that after I posted that. So now I can not think of a single one that is not contact related, can you?
Old 10-31-2007   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Yeah I read that after I posted that. So now I can not think of a single one that is not contact related, can you?
I didn't see how Daniels tweaked his ankle, but regardless I can't think of a single injury I would considered caused by a lack of conditioning. Every year some fan brings this up but Dan Riley is considered one of the best in the league. Salaam gives him credit for revitalizing his career with a regime specific to him such that he is in better shape here than when he was on the Jaguars.
Old 10-31-2007   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

we are a bit low on talent...have you ever been in a fight with a superior athlete or to keep it "football", have you ever played football against teams with more talent than you? The teams with the better talent or superior athletes tend to get hurt less and have fewer injuries since this is a game of physical punishment. Random stuff happens to every team but the more physical teams tend to dish out more punishment and get hurt less while less physical teams tend to take the brunt of the blows...I don't perceive us as all that physical.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #39
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans lose to Oakland and get their butts handed to them again, Kubiak is pretty much done unless a miracle happens. Just my opinion.

I thought this team was different and improving, but it's really the same thing from Capers in year 4.

I have a lost a lot of faith in Kubiak the last few weeks. I didn't expect the Texans to make the playoffs this year, but I did expect some serious steps to be a legit team that can play every Sunday. I understand Kubiak is in a tough position with injuries and the personnel he inherited, but I don't get the sense he is the real answer because his play calling is suspect with no imagination and poor clock management. Not to mention, Kubiak/Smith haven't really improved the personnel in 2 years!

There are the same problems except for the QB position. That is only if Schaub can stay healthy and no one really seems to mind that teams are killing our QB gladly and knocking him out of the game and only getting a penatly. The Texans better start sticking up for the QB. Either do it on the field or make sure it gets handled through league channels. Either way, TAKE CARE OF IT ASAP!!!

Bottom line, I don't see how giving Kubiak 2 years or more is going make things better to produce a winning team. I understand you gotta hang in there regardless, but this doesn't look good.

We'll see what happens the rest of the season and this game isn't the be all end all, but things are spiralling out of control fast with this game potentially being the watershed. Hence, the point of this thread and the discussion.

After going to the San Diego game, at the end of the 1st quarter I checked out mentally. From here on out, I really don't care what the Texans do unless they don't allow tailgating and Reliant becomes a cess pool.

I don't see either one happening, so I will pay for my season tickets and go to a few games not really caring what the Texans do on the field because there really is not a point with them.

Going to Reliant and tailgating is still a lot of fun when you have zero expectation of the Texans! Hence forth, I am not spending one more dime on this team directly with the exception of season tickets and very minimal concessions while at the game.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read