Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If the Texans lose to Oakland.

Am I the only one who thinks it would be a crippling loss for the organaziation and fan base? This was supposed to be the year the Texans made or at least came very close to the playoffs. If we lose Sunday, we will be 3-6, aand even matching last year's 6-10 record will be difficult. A loss Sunday gives us a 6 game stretch that looks like this,

A close win in a game we trailed most of to a bad Miami team.
A loss to a bad Atlanta team.
A loss to a bad Oakland team.
3 emabarrasing losses to quality teams. (Jax, Ten, SD)

There's no way we should be seeing this level of play at this stage. Not only is it year 6, more importantly, it is year 2 in regime 2. There are many fans that held out hope after the Carr, Capers, & Casserly housecleaning, but with a new regime, this level of play may not be tolerated much longer. At least a win on Sunday will get us to 4-5 going into the bye week. We would have a chance to gather ourselves, and make a late playoff push. There is a great open letter thread on the official Texans forums that is a great read. IMO, this week's game is a huge one for the team, the season, and the entire organization.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #2
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If the Texans lose to Oakland.

The problem is this. How can you be surprised we're playing poorly. We have have 5 Gaping holes on this team. The good news... that's fixable. The bad news.. they are going to cause MAJOR problems.

If we didn't buy into the hype, but rather we paid attention to the reality that is this team... we might not be "crippled" as a fan base.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #3
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

HATE TO SAY IT BUT EVERY LOSS PUTS US IN BETTER POSTION TO DRAFT A QUALITY O-LINEMAN, time to start thinking about how to improve this team next year. i bought into the hype after the 2-0 start but we lack talent everywhere. we are probably 2 yrs away from being competitive, hell just look at us compared to our division
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #4
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
The problem is this. How can you be surprised we're playing poorly. We have have 5 Gaping holes on this team. The good news... that's fixable. The bad news.. they are going to cause MAJOR problems.

If we didn't buy into the hype, but rather we paid attention to the reality that is this team... we might not be "crippled" as a fan base.

Mike
You're right, and that's also part of the problem. 6 years into a franchise, you should not have 5 gaping holes on your roster.

Also, I don't mean that I am abandoning the team or giving up. I'm really talking about most of the casual fans out there.
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
You're right, and that's also part of the problem. 6 years into a franchise, you should not have 5 gaping holes on your roster.

Also, I don't mean that I am abandoning the team or giving up. I'm really talking about most of the casual fans out there.
6 years into a franchise is correct, but a year and a half ago we threw away the first four years, and now we are a year and a half into the whole thing again. Not that we didn't need to get rid of Capers and company, but there was a lot of rebuilding to do then, and now.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks, but it's just the way it is. I keep watching and hoping. I've pretty much been doing that since I started watching the Oilers with interest back in the early 70s, and no matter how bad it gets, I just keep watching and hoping. You'd think I'd know better by now, but apparently I don't.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

If we look at the season so far, I think the crippling loss is the Falcon Loss. We were 2-1 at the time and the only loss was the Colts loss and we were competitive in that game. But we went into Atlanta and we got beat by a bad football team, maybe the worst team in the NFL. That should have been the warning sign that this team was overated.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #7
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't agree more that this is one of the most important games in the history of the franchise. Yes, I know that sounds odd - a very bad Texans team playing an even worse Raider squad; however, if we go to 3 - 6 headed into a bye with the Saints and Bush coming into town a week later, it is going to be a very tough climb to respectability.

A win would put the team at 4-5 and at least a fighting chance at 8 - 8. This is a MUST win...
Old 10-30-2007   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the bandwagon fans would be off the wagon by now, so crippling I would say no.

The loss I felt the most (in Texans history) was the loss to the Browns that kept us at 7-9.

Every other loss I call a Monday (NZ time)
Old 10-30-2007   #9
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107220 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I realize this franchise is 6 years old. I do. That said you have to take each regime for what they are. This regime has its issues. I will admit I'm a little worried that Kubes = Offensive Minded Capers. That said, I've seen more from this team in 1 and a half years than I saw in 4 years under CC and Capers. It isn't Smith or Kubiak's fault that we waisted 4 years. If I wasn't seeing the talent improve I would be worried but you had to know that after a 2-14 season with very few "up and comer's" on the roster that it was going to be a process. Look at what we've accomplished this year. I think the newly found cap room is discounted way too much. Next year we will have a lot of flexibility. In the past we had no money to bring guys in. We had to draft and take what was left on the scrap heap. That's not the case this year. We've got almost a full slate of draft picks and as much money as just about anyone. That gives you so many options. We can look at RB and even linemen in FA. Max Starks will likely not be resigned by Pitt and he's 25. He's 6'7 and 330+. Sign him and an RB, draft CB/FS and look at Dansby or Williams as well in free agency.

I doubt you get all of your people, but at the same time you can make ALOT of head way if you do those things.

We can sit here and say "its year 6, we shouldn't be going through this at this point". Well until we are winning regularly, I get my kicks out of trying to accurately access and predict the team's play.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #10
SuperDan
Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a crippling loss for the organaziation and fan base?
After every abysmal loss of the past several weeks we say this. Not just the folks on this board, not just the folks you talk to around the water cooler, not just the media...*everyone.*

Every loss we've experienced, short of the Indy loss has been crippling for this franchise. Each losing week, our hopes of soon being a contending franchise are dashed just a bit more. The loss to Atlanta was *the* loss of the season. Everything after that just further reinforced the point that was made during that game.
SuperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
HATE TO SAY IT BUT EVERY LOSS PUTS US IN BETTER POSTION TO DRAFT A QUALITY O-LINEMAN, time to start thinking about how to improve this team next year. i bought into the hype after the 2-0 start but we lack talent everywhere. we are probably 2 yrs away from being competitive, hell just look at us compared to our division
Ummm, rule of thumb -- quality linemen can be found on the board at the end of the 1st. Marcus McNeil comes to mind. But also --- Winston in the 3rd. Spencer in the 3rd (someone is going to say that one is a bad example, to which I reply no one can predict injuries, that's just bad luck)

It's nothing personal, ATX. I'm just not ready to mail in the season.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 72233 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

This will be about the 27th statement game for the Texans since they joined the league. I think I've already heard the message.
Old 10-31-2007   #13
ActualTexan
upright biped

rant/

An interesting thread. Perhaps the most interesting on thread on this board. But, here is the question - Why not just be a typical Houston Pro Sports fan and blame it on Bud Adams, Vince Young, KEYE, or something else. Has anyone ever stepped back and looked at the comments on this board after a loss?

CLUE: Pro football is about people. You either have them, or you don't.

I can't wait until we "have them" so the bandwagoners (and damn near most others) will shut up.

/rant over
ActualTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think a team that has never had a winning or .500 season can have a crippling lose. It's a trademark of bad talent deficent teams - losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActualTexan View Post
Has anyone ever stepped back and looked at the comments on this board after a loss?
Yeah hence why most sane people stay away from here for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #15
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans lose to Oakland...

The world will still spin on it's axis and I will still be a fan.
Old 10-31-2007   #16
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Yeah hence why most sane people stay away from here for a few days.
I didn't realize football fandom and sanity were supposed to go together. I've always believed them to be two seperate things. LOL

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

We can win this game, it is very "winnable". But I don't really expect us to
come out on top. We've just had too many big, important games this year and
we've lost them all, except for the Carolina game. And I thought that was the beginning of something new, but I realize now that game was just probably a fluke, an aberration.
If we lose this game, Kubiak has probably lost the team and much of the faith they may have had in him when the season started. So the game is huge because a loss and that likely dooms any real chance of finishing the season with a better record than last year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
We can win this game, it is very "winnable". But I don't really expect us to
come out on top. We've just had too many big, important games this year and
we've lost them all, except for the Carolina game. And I thought that was the beginning of something new, but I realize now that game was just probably a fluke, an aberration.
If we lose this game, Kubiak has probably lost the team and much of the faith they may have had in him when the season started. So the game is huge because a loss and that likely dooms any real chance of finishing the season with a better record than last year.
Personally, I am trying to figure out what offense they are going to put on the field.

They have one functional QB. And a guy who couldn't make the Bills' squad.

They have no functional RBs. Green's "goal" is to play on Sunday, Dayne got hurt again the last game, and Echemandu pulled a hamstring, something handy to have as a running back. Does Walker get activated? Or do we just activate the guys we have, and hope they can take more than 5 snaps before they fall down and can't get up.

Their best TE has an ankle sprain. Expect, uh, Dreesen to have a big game.

Andre Davis got nicked last game. Are the Texans going to sport the only all white receiver corps in the league?

Flanagan got dinged. Is that dinged dinged or just dingalinged or ding dong daddy from dumas? Does he play, or are the Texans one deep with Chris White on the road against the Raiders defense. <shudder>

Given all the injuries to the offense, I am thinking we are due for another offensive linemen to go down.

So how do you game plan this? You can't do the shut down the passing game, we only have one functional QB (i.e. The Texans game plan post 2006 Raiders Game), because our running backs are crushed too.

So the game plan is: Whoever can function the best will get the ball. Nobody can get hurt so we will just have to bring some duct tape just in case.

Eek.
Old 10-31-2007   #19
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
i really really can't stand people like you. Tanking games already and we aren't even at our bye? Jeez.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007   #20
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

TC,

Wow, your post really put some perspective on how difficult a position we are in. Didn't realize that Dayne was "dinged" as well...

Thankfully, the Raiders rush defense is so poor that we could probably roll out Walker at HB and have some success. Not so sure we are going to be able to have much success in the passing game. Is J. Jones going to start?

As to a few of the other points raised here, I just don't understand how some of you can criticize fans who come here and vent as "bandwagon fans?" Serioiusly, these are folks who still support a team that is currently 3 - 5, has never had a winning season and made some of the most questionable personnel decisions in the league over the last few years. A "bandwagon" member would clearly have hitched their allegiance to the Cowboys, Patriots, Colts, Titans, etc.

I continue to believe that this game is huge for the franchise because a loss almost assures us of another losing season - when we started off with so much promise. It may not be fair, but it is what it is...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read