Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #1
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer
Default Are things better?

I guess I am looking for some positve reinforcement here that things are actually better and we just can't see the big picture right now. But while looking at Kubiak's press conference yesterday I was getting Capers flashbacks. Basically how his view of what is going on is so different from mine. When he said Mario is playing exceptional and plays that way every week, I almost fainted. When he said the o-line is playing great, I just about died. When he said our running game is the best it has been all season, I wondered was I in the Twilight Zone.

Combine that with #8 still taking a beating, our running game at a standstill and questionable playcalling, I am wondering if things really are better. It seems like the year after 7-9, only this time it is the season after 6-10 and the results are almost the same.

So all those "half-full" people out there, spread those good vibes about this team!!!!
Old 10-30-2007   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Are things better?

Few coaches are willing to come out and throw their entire team under the bus. Maybe Kubes should have done it after the lousy showing in SD. But if you are looking for positive reinforcement, the team is in good shape. They have a new QB and a new RB, so there are going to be growing pains. This season will feel like a step back because of all the changes to the team during the offseason. Add injuries to the mix, and it is a very long season. The good news is next year. With an offseason under his belt and a great WR corps, plus hopefully a few smart additions to the o-line and the defensive secondary - the team will rebound in a way we've been wanting for a long time.

Added: Even better, it will be built on the legs of a fairly young team, so it won't be a one-play-off season and then out scenario.

Last edited by Texans Horror; 10-30-2007 at 10:48 AM. Reason: See Added
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
I guess I am looking for some positve reinforcement here that things are actually better and we just can't see the big picture right now. But while looking at Kubiak's press conference yesterday I was getting Capers flashbacks. Basically how his view of what is going on is so different from mine. When he said Mario is playing exceptional and plays that way every week, I almost fainted. When he said the o-line is playing great, I just about died. When he said our running game is the best it has been all season, I wondered was I in the Twilight Zone.

Combine that with #8 still taking a beating, our running game at a standstill and questionable playcalling, I am wondering if things really are better. It seems like the year after 7-9, only this time it is the season after 6-10 and the results are almost the same.

So all those "half-full" people out there, spread those good vibes about this team!!!!

I don't watch coaches tape, so I can't speak to Mario's play on the field. The camera usually follows the ball, so it is hard to fairly judge his play on the TiVO. Some people want to make the defensive struggles only a Mario thing, and unfortunately it is bigger than that.

Actually, this was an encouraging game for the offensive line. A practice squad guy that we just signed was able to run for some nice yards before he nicked his hamstring. Signs of life, a good thing.

Matt Schaub got knocked out of the game on a cheap shot. Flukey, but not the offensive line's fault.

The biggest reason that the Texans have been struggling is that they've been getting down big in games early. They can't run the ball consistently. And then they have to play catch up, throwing the ball, and when defenses know you are doing that, they can kill you. The QBs look like they are trying to force stuff, and are playing with a group of receivers who would probably not be starting anywhere else in the league. (Jones has been promising, but I don't think he is physically right yet).

And when you think it can't get any worse, well then, just about anyone in a skill position on the offensive side of the ball is injured.

I really have no idea who will go on the field. When you have semi-injured guys, if you dress them, you risk that they go out on the field and really aren't better yet. See Ahman Green.

And the defense isn't good enough pull the load while the Texans are injured. The best hope that they have this week is that Oakland is more inept than they are, and that the ST's is just even adequate instead of the promising start they had at the beginning of the year.

Basically, all teams need good choices and good breaks. And the Texans have had some good choices some bad, and have had mostly bad breaks.
Old 10-30-2007   #4
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't watch coaches tape, so I can't speak to Mario's play on the field. The camera usually follows the ball, so it is hard to fairly judge his play on the TiVO. Some people want to make the defensive struggles only a Mario thing, and unfortunately it is bigger than that.

Actually, this was an encouraging game for the offensive line. A practice squad guy that we just signed was able to run for some nice yards before he nicked his hamstring. Signs of life, a good thing.

Matt Schaub got knocked out of the game on a cheap shot. Flukey, but not the offensive line's fault.

The biggest reason that the Texans have been struggling is that they've been getting down big in games early. They can't run the ball consistently. And then they have to play catch up, throwing the ball, and when defenses know you are doing that, they can kill you. The QBs look like they are trying to force stuff, and are playing with a group of receivers who would probably not be starting anywhere else in the league. (Jones has been promising, but I don't think he is physically right yet).
And when you think it can't get any worse, well then, just about anyone in a skill position on the offensive side of the ball is injured.

I really have no idea who will go on the field. When you have semi-injured guys, if you dress them, you risk that they go out on the field and really aren't better yet. See Ahman Green.

And the defense isn't good enough pull the load while the Texans are injured. The best hope that they have this week is that Oakland is more inept than they are, and that the ST's is just even adequate instead of the promising start they had at the beginning of the year.

Basically, all teams need good choices and good breaks. And the Texans have had some good choices some bad, and have had mostly bad breaks.
This started as a really good looking running attack. We were moving the ball in chunks, but then it was 28-3 and you cant stick to a game plan. I thought the O-line played rather well. Its hard to watch the D-line when Gates is standing in the end zone waiting for a pass at the snap. When guys get THAT wide open THAT quick, nothing you can do. Note to Texans DB's, Gates is a Pro Bowl TE, you may want to be with in 15 yards of him...
Old 10-30-2007   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Its hard to watch the D-line when Gates is standing in the end zone waiting for a pass at the snap. When guys get THAT wide open THAT quick, nothing you can do. Note to Texans DB's, Gates is a Pro Bowl TE, you may want to be with in 15 yards of him...
Have they ever said exactly who blew that coverage? On the replay, it looked to me like DeMeco was covering him at one point, but then released him to the safety-that-wasn't-there. But, I'm not sure if the fault was the safety's or DeMeco's or someone else's...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #6
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't really say the D-Line messed up on the passing plays. Rivers threw like 10 times and everytime someone was wide open. The problem with this team is that the opposing QB NEVER has to hold the ball. Their guys always get open. On the other hand, Schaub is constantly holding the ball and shifting around trying to make a play. It's night and day.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario had a tackle. One. It was awesome though.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2007   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Have they ever said exactly who blew that coverage? On the replay, it looked to me like DeMeco was covering him at one point, but then released him to the safety-that-wasn't-there. But, I'm not sure if the fault was the safety's or DeMeco's or someone else's...
If Ryans was supposed to be in man coverage on Gates, the fault lies the defensive coordinator. I'm certain that was a mistake in the secondary.
Old 10-30-2007   #9
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

My contention is that Kubiak is in over his head with this being his first NFL head coaching job. I feel like a franchise that has never experienced winning has to bring in somebody that knows how to emanate that feeling with the players. How can someone do that if they never experienced it themself? Unfortunately, I strongly feel we'll have to wait until Kubiak is replaced, and given that this is his second year, who knows how long that will be.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #10
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Are things better? Well Mario still sucks. Our QB play has been subpar since AJ went down. Our coaching still sucks going into Year 6 of the franchise. We still can't get pressure on any QB after 6 years of trying. We still fall behind huge and are effectively out of the ballgame by the time you finish your 1st adult beverage. We still can't stop anyone on 3rd down. Oh and we still have the worst coaching staff that money can't buy.

At least we have tailgating, though....

I am sure McNair will extend Kubiak's contract though and just continue to flounder in the depths of the NFL. After all, if they don't extend him he is a lame duck and McNair is too much of a god dang Care Bear to do anything that takes gnads. Kubiak must go as its obvious the team isn't playing for him and the team is consistently unprepared to play football on Sunday. Probably the worst coaching job of the franchise has happened this year....even worse than 2-14
Old 10-30-2007   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
My contention is that Kubiak is in over his head with this being his first NFL head coaching job. I feel like a franchise that has never experienced winning has to bring in somebody that knows how to emanate that feeling with the players. How can someone do that if they never experienced it themself? Unfortunately, I strongly feel we'll have to wait until Kubiak is replaced, and given that this is his second year, who knows how long that will be.
YOU WIN. great post and I couldnt agree more. fwiw- this isn't college football where coaches need a few years to get there plan in place and to 'recruit' their type of players. This is the NFL. You get 2 years to show progress, if you don't you are afired. I havent seen a lot of progress so he should be fired.

I am just sick of his aww shucks press conferences and how he wont even raise his freaking voice. guy is a flatliner and makes Capers look like Jerry Springer
Old 10-30-2007   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I said it with Capers & Casserly, and, out of fairness, I'll say it with Kubes & Smith, as per the great Bill Parcells, "you are your record".

I'd like to give them a little more time to make changes but at this point in the season and given the record thus far, no, things are not any better under the new management. As far as why I'd like to give them more time to make changes, I'd give two reasons:
- 1st, they inherited a team that was worse then starting from scratch (salary cap issues, dead weight, etc...), and
- 2nd, purely selfish reason, these are the two guys I wanted McNair to pick and I like being right.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #13
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Kubiak said on his show that when Gates went in motion, someone was supposed to follow him over and cover him, but they didn't. He didn't mention any names, but the Chronicle said that after that play Faggins was replaced. So if you put 2 and 2 together......

Some positivity in this thread! Keep the good vibes going!!!!!

Last edited by dskillz; 10-30-2007 at 02:22 PM.
dskillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
Possibly. IMO, Kubiak has given Sherman too much control over the offense. Maybe he had to in order to keep Sherman happy, who knows. Kubiak came from an offensive scheme that was a proven product. Why would he change??

I don't think Kubiak is going anywhere for a while. Having said that, he needs to cut the rope of the anchors Richard Smith and Sherman. Otherwise, those anchors will be taking him down with them.

Old 10-30-2007   #15
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

DP post.

Last edited by Specnatz; 10-30-2007 at 03:30 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #16
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Okoye and Maddox did not have any. Faggins had 1.

Mario has two tackles for loss which leads the team, so it is not all his fault. Of course then again everything is all his fault. Why not mention others who are not doing anything?
Old 10-30-2007   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hard to tackle people in a game where their offense isn't on the field much because they are scoring so quickly.

The Texans had 75 offensive plays to the Chargers 40. That is a weird freaking game.
Old 10-30-2007   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am going to pretend to be pre-season (and even first six games) Vinny when I say...

"Stats don't matter"

But then again, stats are all we have, since we didn't win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If Ryans was supposed to be in man coverage on Gates, the fault lies the defensive coordinator. I'm certain that was a mistake in the secondary.
Yup. Putting Meco on Gates would have been a mistake in playcalling. I am just amazed at how open he was....
Old 10-30-2007   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 221373 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
Are things better?
No.

/endthread
Old 10-30-2007   #20
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 221176 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

The team, right now, is no better than last year. If not a little worse. However there is, at least for me, more hope for the future of this team than I had this time last year.

Along with the addition of new players during the off season, I would also like to see a subtraction of the offensive and defensive coordinators.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read