Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #21
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we ruining another QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post

I would like next year's draft to look like this:
1st round: OL
3rd round: OLB
4th round: OLB
5th round: BPA
6th round: BPA
7th round: BPA

Why the obsession with upgrading at the OLB spots?? Of all the issues the team has, and given the relative importance of OLB's especially in the 4-3 why go wild on OLB?
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #22
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Why the obsession with upgrading at the OLB spots?? Of all the issues the team has, and given the relative importance of OLB's especially in the 4-3 why go wild on OLB?
No joke. Let's forget about the OLB and concentrate on keeping our franchise QB from getting killed. OT should be priority #1, secondary #2 then BPA.
Old 10-30-2007   #23
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, if we do "ruin" this QB, it'll be the first.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #24
spanrep
Rookie

I watched Schuab play in high school and a little bit in college...he's a good passer, but probably soft and definitely light on the leadership skills.
spanrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #25
jaxfan21
Rookie

Come on now people this is the NFL, coaches work hard at gameplans. If you notice a weakness in a QB you exploit it. There comes a time when a new QB will have his ups but once you have video of what worked and what failed you gameplan for that. You cannot tell me it has to do all with the line and all with AJ being out. Teams have figured Schuab and the Houstons O weakness by game video. That is why the make the big dollars to study the game. Even the worst O line and worst QB can have a great game with a great gameplan.
jaxfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #26
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I have a feeling the defenses only defensive gameplan is "Blitz the hell out of him."

At the moment, I think we're ruining this QB. In 6 years, this is the first time we had a true QB, and he's literally being driven into the ground.
Old 10-30-2007   #27
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
I think it's an obsession because it's an area of need, just below O-line and Safety, but definetly a need.

Greenwood and Clark are not getting it done. They are slow, and are not good pass rushers.
Old 10-30-2007   #28
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Yes, I think the Texans are ruining Schaub. And if they don't do something asap, they are going to have turned a great quarterback into a bad quarterback.

The problem is simple, from my perspective. On the offensive line, there are five people. The two cornerstones are Center and Left Tackle. The Texans have average players at RG, RT, and LG. What they lack are the two pillars - the foundation - of a great line.

I also think the Texans have one decent player in the defensive secondary who compensates for the FS, SS, and other CB as much as possible, but at the same time is weakened by the lack of much help out there.

Lineman need to be drafted. Having watched the Texans go through a plethora of free agent linemen, I believe their best products (with the exception of McKinney) have always come from the draft.

The Texans need to build from the trenches out, like they did on the defensive side of the ball. I think the defensive line is starting to show its potential. The Texans draft should look for linemen in the first and third round. Or better yet, trade down for a second round pick and take the best tackle and best lineman in the second. We have enough swing players to turn somebody into a Center.

Defensive secondary should be addressed in free agency. This will be enough to get the Texans by for one more year. With Schaub's back-side protected and the run-game working, the offense will eat the clock better, improving the defense. I think this will put less burden on the secondary and create for a much better product. And Matt will not be sidelined every game due to injuries.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #29
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
Well, if we do "ruin" this QB, it'll be the first.
I think many would disagree with you. A lot of folks only seem to remember the David Carr from 2005 and 2006. From 2002-2004, Carr was making progress as you'd expect from a young QB, despite the crappy O-Line play, and started 2004 with better stats than what Schaub has right now. Somewhere along the way, the wheels fell off. Now, Carr bears a great deal of the blame for not pulling out of it, but the Texans bear a great deal of the blame for putting him there in the first place. I can sit here and say Carr is no good and doesn't have a place on this team (hell, NFL), and I think I'm right. But if I start asking how he got to that place from the guy that had heart, guts, a great arm, and one who showed he could have played in this league to where he is now ..... well, this offensive line sucked when Carr was here and they suck now. No big surprises there.
Old 10-30-2007   #30
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and BSofA said:
"No joke. Let's forget about the OLB and concentrate on keeping our franchise QB from getting killed. OT should be priority #1, secondary #2 then BPA."

Because our OLB are really bad. Because they can't tackle, can't cover, and can't blitz. They are a huge liability on our defense and are making Demeco look bad, too. If you will read my post OT IS the priority with the #1 pick and #1 FA signing.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #31
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Texans Horror;773507]

I think the defensive line is starting to show its potential.

QUOTE]

Are you sure you've been watchin the Texans DL? Or were you just saying its potential is what is being shown, which isn't a lot at this point?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #32
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Are you sure you've been watchin the Texans DL? Or were you just saying its potential is what is being shown, which isn't a lot at this point?
I know things look bleak right now, but I think the D-line has improved over last year this same time when Mario was behind the eight ball. Amobi in particular is showing a lot of promise (as opposed to the Texans telling us he has promise, I'm seeing it on the field).
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #33
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think many would disagree with you. A lot of folks only seem to remember the David Carr from 2005 and 2006. From 2002-2004, Carr was making progress as you'd expect from a young QB, despite the crappy O-Line play, and started 2004 with better stats than what Schaub has right now. Somewhere along the way, the wheels fell off. Now, Carr bears a great deal of the blame for not pulling out of it, but the Texans bear a great deal of the blame for putting him there in the first place. I can sit here and say Carr is no good and doesn't have a place on this team (hell, NFL), and I think I'm right. But if I start asking how he got to that place from the guy that had heart, guts, a great arm, and one who showed he could have played in this league to where he is now ..... well, this offensive line sucked when Carr was here and they suck now. No big surprises there.
Shoot when I said this last year, I almost got run off all the boards. I said the Texans problems did not lay solely at the QB position. True, I was the biggest Carr fan on here but my point was the O-line was to blame, as well as lack of the running game and very pourous secondary. However you had the Carr haters being myopic and saying get rid of Carr and the Texans will be better. Sure enough the offense improved but not to the extent to which the abscence of Carr made a difference. Like last year the Texans had success running the ball and got protection for the QB. Also like last year the Texans struggle when they cannot do either. The old problems rear their ugly head and makes you wonder."HMMMM I guess it wasnt Carr's fault?"
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #34
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanrep View Post
I watched Schuab play in high school and a little bit in college...he's a good passer, but probably soft and definitely light on the leadership skills.
I'm not arguing about what you say but I remember when they signed Matt all the other players were saying he's a natural leader and in fact had made a point to call all the players and introduce himself.

Perhaps he's not a fiery leader maybe but I've not heard he's not a leader like David was.

Just my take from what I've read!
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Thank you. there someone without an axe to grind has posted it. Still some hard core YKW hatters out there. Yeah we got it, YKW hatters. You were dead wrong then and you're dead wrong now. You're out on the gang plank and you can't man up now. Well you get to relive it all over again. I told you JA's so. Sit on it and spin Carr be free. Man up you were wrong. This o-line sucks.
Old 10-30-2007   #36
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

One thing I am going to point out is that if you look back at the first 3 games that the team played very well, Schaub did throw some very poor passes. Seemingly he threw them up for grabs. I am not saying that Schaub is terrible or anything. Just saying that he was showing a habit for throwing interceptions when we were playing better.
Old 10-30-2007   #37
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Thank you. there someone without an axe to grind has posted it. Still some hard core YKW hatters out there. Yeah we got it, YKW hatters. You were dead wrong then and you're dead wrong now. You're out on the gang plank and you can't man up now. Well you get to relive it all over again. I told you JA's so. Sit on it and spin Carr be free. Man up you were wrong. This o-line sucks.
Well, to be fair, I have an axe to grind - I have hated our O-Line for a long time. And Carr certainly was less than worthless for his last couple years here. IMO, it's not that hard to see the progress and the promise that Carr showed from 2002-2004, and still realize he was a much bigger part of the problem in 2005-2006. The O-Line has been a problem pretty close to every year.

With Schaub, you can point to a few metrics and show improvement, but at the end of the day, we have the same results - a crappy team and a crappy offense that only scores TDs in garbage time.

And for the record, I'm pro-Schaub, and was suggesting Schaub as a replacement back when people were telling me it couldn't be done for financial/trade reasons.
Old 10-30-2007   #38
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
Shoot when I said this last year, I almost got run off all the boards. I said the Texans problems did not lay solely at the QB position. True, I was the biggest Carr fan on here but my point was the O-line was to blame, as well as lack of the running game and very pourous secondary. However you had the Carr haters being myopic and saying get rid of Carr and the Texans will be better. Sure enough the offense improved but not to the extent to which the abscence of Carr made a difference. Like last year the Texans had success running the ball and got protection for the QB. Also like last year the Texans struggle when they cannot do either. The old problems rear their ugly head and makes you wonder."HMMMM I guess it wasnt Carr's fault?"
I'm not sure even where to start on this. Carr led to his own demise on the field and off the field. He was just as much to blame as the the O-line. Schaub has shown more in his 8 starts here than I saw the last 3 years from Carr. I think it is comical that in order for a guy to be accepted and considered an "improvement" here he has to never throw Ints, never make mental mistakes and be perfect. Up until 2 games ago Schaub was ranked in the top 10 in 7 fo 10 QB catergories and was still trying to go downfield despite the injuries, line and running game. Carr basically stopped trying anything but to pad his stats with 5 yard outs. Your post makes absolutely no sense if you actually watch the games. Two totally different styles. The O-line is bad but I'd much rather have Schaub than Carr. Carr went to a team with a great line and what has he done there?
Old 10-30-2007   #39
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Dude, how long have you been stewing over that hatred? Seriously, it's not good for the heart and soul. It's just a game yada yada yada they play we watch.

yeah, the o-line is a major problem (once again). But it doesn't take away from the fact that YKW never put in the effort that great QBs do. Things like working out with WRs in the off-season, leading by example, being a student of the game.

I'm not a hater. I rooted for the guy for years. But reality is what it is, and he was the wrong pick for the wrong situation. Maybe he could have been a better QB on another team. Maybe. That is a matter of debate. But the fact remains that he never went above and beyond what was required to be a good/great QB as a Houston Texan. Taking lots of glamour shots does not qualify one as anything other than a male model.

Some of you guys crack me up for confusing analysis with emotion.
Old 10-30-2007   #40
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm not sure even where to start on this. Carr led to his own demise on the field and off the field. He was just as much to blame as the the O-line. Schaub has shown more in his 8 starts here than I saw the last 3 years from Carr. I think it is comical that in order for a guy to be accepted and considered an "improvement" here he has to never throw Ints, never make mental mistakes and be perfect. Up until 2 games ago Schaub was ranked in the top 10 in 7 fo 10 QB catergories and was still trying to go downfield despite the injuries, line and running game. Carr basically stopped trying anything but to pad his stats with 5 yard outs. Your post makes absolutely no sense if you actually watch the games. Two totally different styles. The O-line is bad but I'd much rather have Schaub than Carr. Carr went to a team with a great line and what has he done there?
How in God's name can you post this drivel now. What I saw was a guy pull himself off the ground for you guys 248 times. And what did he get in return. Kicked in the teeth for three years. He was a warrior for you and you threw him under the bus. What it tells me there are a whole lot of folks who do not understand the physics, have no clue, of what a guy like albert Haynesworth falling on you at full bore dose to the body. Give it up. David Carr is not here. We are working now on the third QB this season. DC is not in the equation anymore. MS took 12 hits and he looks as though he is one more hit away from being done for the year. The elimination of David Carr was not the majic bean you told us all it would be. And no matter how you spin it...you were wrong there old hoss.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-30-2007 at 03:56 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read