Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are we ruining another QB?

I've been as level headed as I can. But one thing bugs me. I watch Schaub and his performance is getting worse. I know he's throwing off his back foot. That much is obvious. I just have to wonder though, with the line that we're trotting out there.... are we damaging him too? Its not a stretch to assume that HWWDNSO might have been ruined by a combination of factors. Coaching and the OL had a lot to do with it.

I think our coaching is better, but our OL is still bad. I am hoping White makes a difference. But look at Schaub's numbers.

His passer rating is dropping like a rock. His completion % is WAY down. His yards/Attempt is somewhat stable. but he hasn't thrown a TD in 5 weeks, granted he missed significant time in two of those. But its his play that I'm worried about more than the numbers. His accuracy is getting worse, and I don't mean just the completion%. I mean where he's placing the ball when he's passing. I have no doubt that a QB can take a bad season, but we need this line fixed this off season in the worst way.

I keep bouncing back and forth. I think we need a SS/FS like no other need, but at the same time we better have a running game and an OL upgrade next year or we may see our Lexus turn into a Yugo overnight. I still think its fixable... but man... its more urgent the more I think about it.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we ruining another QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
I've been as level headed as I can. But one thing bugs me. I watch Schaub and his performance is getting worse. I know he's throwing off his back foot. That much is obvious. I just have to wonder though, with the line that we're trotting out there.... are we damaging him too? Its not a stretch to assume that HWWDNSO might have been ruined by a combination of factors. Coaching and the OL had a lot to do with it.

I think our coaching is better, but our OL is still bad. I am hoping White makes a difference. But look at Schaub's numbers.

His passer rating is dropping like a rock. His completion % is WAY down. His yards/Attempt is somewhat stable. but he hasn't thrown a TD in 5 weeks, granted he missed significant time in two of those. But its his play that I'm worried about more than the numbers. His accuracy is getting worse, and I don't mean just the completion%. I mean where he's placing the ball when he's passing. I have no doubt that a QB can take a bad season, but we need this line fixed this off season in the worst way.

I keep bouncing back and forth. I think we need a SS/FS like no other need, but at the same time we better have a running game and an OL upgrade next year or we may see our Lexus turn into a Yugo overnight. I still think its fixable... but man... its more urgent the more I think about it.

Mike
I would like to say that it is his injuries. Obviously, injuries can affect your play both in a pyschological way and a physical way, I think that is what is happened. Also, of course, losing AJ.

Regarding players that we need: I think we need a FS more than anything. Teams around our division, and the league for that matter, have been grabbing these safeties who can play man coverage like a CB but we don't seem to take the hint. You would think we would atleast build to beat our division champs. It's such an important position now a days, and both of our safeties don't play like an NFL safety should. The least we could do would be to get a FS who can cover AND play the run.

Shoot, the Redskins went as far as to draft two of them in the last few years.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest problem this team has is its O-line imo . Its been that way since day the first season and hasnt really gotten better .... poor choices in FA havent helped . This years line can pass block better than in years past (prior to McKinney's injury anyhow) but they fail so miserably at run blocking that the improvement in pass blocking is nulified .

Until they address the line with a scheme (this Kubiak / Sherman hybrid crap aint working) and players who are competent they wont win .

I'd prefer they find some big mean nasty O-linemen who can just blow people off the ball and leave it up to the RB to make the next guy miss or break a tackle .... and forget about these more athletic linemen who get pushed back on seemingly every run play ...... Dominate the line Dominate the game , simple as that .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been banging the DB upgrade drum as loud as anyone around here for a few seasons, but I am starting to think that we need to fix the OLine more than we need to upgrade at DB.

We've invested a lot of time, money and draft picks into QB's and skill players on offense only to see them ruined by bad line play and inconsistent/bad coaching/schemes on the line. To recoup that investment we need to get the line solidified asap.

If I was told that we are going to go OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL in this years draft, I could live with that.
Old 10-29-2007   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I would like to say that it is his injuries. Obviously, injuries can affect your play both in a pyschological way and a physical way, I think that is what is happened.
Even if he recovers from the physical variety, the psychological may be with him much longer.
But the injury yestesday, I dunno I guess a concussion ? I don't think that's been officailly reported as a concussion, but I don't think Carr ever had a concussion ? That's kinda ominous.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #6
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

new qb and rb, same o-line and the same problems. sam baker USC would look good in a texan uni. we need to spend picks on this o-line because free agency is costly when it comes to the 0-line. use the cash on other areas
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I tend to agree. Draft a CB/S definately , but RB,OLB etc can be addressed in FA. Whatever you do you HAVE to address the OL in the draft. Although I just checked and there will be some very solid OL in free agency it looks like. Alot of Indy and Pitt linemen will most likely not be signed.

Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2007   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Draft a CB/S definately , but RB,OLB etc can be addressed in FA. Whatever you do you HAVE to address the OL in the draft.
I would go with some variation of this:
1st round: S
3rd round: OL
4th round: RB
5th round: LB
6th round: CB
7th round: OL

You could even move these around all you want and I would be happy. Drafting at needs late may not fill the starting role, but atleast we can get some new guys in those position groups.

edit: The problem is we have serious needs in the offensive line and the secondary. It's hard to fix these things with the draft alone. We will have to be very active in the off-season to have a chance at being a good team next year.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-29-2007 at 08:10 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If eight games of this O-Line is enough to ruin Matt Schaub, then I think we all need to salute YKW. It's too early for this to affect Schaub, but it's not too early for the fans to realize that it's about to be SIX years running of poor offensive line play. The offensive line affects every aspect of a team, and it's been the most neglected unit for five drafts now. Give Matt Schaub three years behind this line, and I dare say he'd develop happy feet, dump-off tendencies, and a rushed feel to everything. And this line isn't even as bad as the 2002 and 2005 versions of Texans.

Chester Pitts and Eric Winston have been our best two drafted linemen. Draft OL already. I don't want to see reruns.
Old 10-29-2007   #10
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If eight games of this O-Line is enough to ruin Matt Schaub, then I think we all need to salute YKW. It's too early for this to affect Schaub, but it's not too early for the fans to realize that it's about to be SIX years running of poor offensive line play. The offensive line affects every aspect of a team, and it's been the most neglected unit for five drafts now. Give Matt Schaub three years behind this line, and I dare say he'd develop happy feet, dump-off tendencies, and a rushed feel to everything. And this line isn't even as bad as the 2002 and 2005 versions of Texans.

Chester Pitts and Eric Winston have been our best two drafted linemen. Draft OL already. I don't want to see reruns.
I didn't mean to suggest that he was ruined already. Just that we're not protecting him and that could have a long term effect on his psyche. At the risk of turning this into another YKW thread (I really don't want that), I don't know if you salute him, but I definitely think that you have to aknowledge the possibility that 4 years of awful coaching combined with 5 years of horrendous line play might have ruined his career before it began.

Mike

Old 10-29-2007   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I screamed my head off (well at least vigorously proposed it in print) for 3-4 years before this and was pretty much poo-pooed that the O-line wasn't really that bad. Spencer has been as big of a hit in the nads to us as Mr. Boz was. We are lucky that Winston seems to be working out at RT.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81208 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Mike
I'll just post a link to a post I made last week, when I lost it after the Titans game

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...682#post765682

So to answer your question......yes.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

What is HWWDNSO?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #14
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
What is HWWDNSO?
Our former QB. A long time ago, (don't remember if it was before the boards merged but I think it was just after) we took a vow not to mention his name for a month. Then something came up and I had to reference him so I called him He Who we do not speak of in an obvious rip off of The Village.

Mike

Old 10-29-2007   #15
GrandeDavid
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

I agree with you. I'm also a fan of the Cincinnati Bengals, and the reason the 1990's is termed "The Lost Decade" by the Cincinnati media and fans is because they had no offensive line. Now I don't think the Texans will exactly do to Matt Schaub what the Bungles did to David Klingler, but he really has been taking some poundings lately, and Schaub's soft teammates have yet to retaliate and stand up for him like pro's should.

The Texans, at this point, as disgustingly incompetent as they've looked so often the past few games, would not surprise me if they finished like 5-11. Until the line improves, you're just going to see seasons like that. Soon a decade will pass and the Bengals of the 1990s will have a companion franchise. That is terrifying. So having said that, I don't think Schaub is ruined, at least not yet, but he'll never have a chance to succeed consistently with this line and with these putrid ball carriers they call "running backs". And of all the rotten damn luck, Andre Johnson gets lost for so many games...its just freaking rotten how this franchise has been so mismanaged, cursed, snakebitten, horribly coached, the list never ends.
GrandeDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Our former QB. A long time ago, (don't remember if it was before the boards merged but I think it was just after) we took a vow not to mention his name for a month. Then something came up and I had to reference him so I called him He Who we do not speak of in an obvious rip off of The Village.

Mike
Ohh, OK..
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #17
GrandeDavid
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
What is HWWDNSO?
Good question!
GrandeDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #18
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If I was told that we are going to go OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL in this years draft, I could live with that.
I'll second that emotion.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #19
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, we are ruining this QB. Seems like I remember just how much better our oline was going to be with this new QB and that MOST ALL the oline probs were due to the old QB. Well, obviously that isn't the case. I think the best thing to do with Matt is sit him for the Oakland game and then the bye and then sit him for the next game after the bye and let him get his senses back. We are ALREADY dangerously close to Carrerrizing him and I think he has too much potential for that to happen to a 2nd Texan QB.

I would like next year's draft to look like this:
1st round: OL
3rd round: OLB
4th round: OLB
5th round: BPA
6th round: BPA
7th round: BPA

We traded a #1 for Boulware, so maybe with new coaching in the offseason we can actually make a safety out of him.

We need to sign 2 IMPACT (not reject) FA's ... preferably an olineman and an OLB. Add a good FA DL and DB to the mix and we have shored up most of our weak spots in one year. After all .... this is THE YEAR we are to make a big hit in the FA market, right?

I believe RB will straighten itself out between Ahman, Echodude, and Chris Taylor. Please send the Dayne train packing!

And then we need to shake up the coaching staff. Both coordinators need to go and maybe a couple of assistants, too. If the scheming and techniques on both sides of the ball don't improve in 2008 well, bye bye Kubes.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub just may be too soft, simple as that. Wasn't that a knock on him comming out of college?

They aren't going to draft an O-lineman in the 1st. McNair won't allow it.

O-Linemen don't get a team primetime TV spots and tons of merch sold, and after the PR disaster (and football disaster) of the 2006 draft, McNair ain't gonna take another lineman.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read