Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #61
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak Live at 3:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.

I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.
I'm like you. We don't have access to game film, so we just don't get a chance to see what the coaches see.

I have to wonder if we can trust these comments at face value. It seems like Mario is just a fraction away from making the plays and being dominant. Will that happen given more time? 3 years is a pretty good mark for defensive linemen, so I guess we have another season to wait for his breakout season.
Old 10-29-2007   #62
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I'm like you. We don't have access to game film, so we just don't get a chance to see what the coaches see.

I have to wonder if we can trust these comments at face value. It seems like Mario is just a fraction away from making the plays and being dominant. Will that happen given more time? 3 years is a pretty good mark for defensive linemen, so I guess we have another season to wait for his breakout season.
I dunno. I think alot of us, including myself, are being hard on him, but I think it is a bit deserved. I also wonder if we had a decent to good secondary, how much of a difference would that make for Mario and our D-line.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #63
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.
I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.
Then he went on to praise the play of CC Brown !
Kubiak must have been reviewing a different game, because I have no idea
how he can reach those kind of conclusions about Mario & CC ?
When I see Mario play, it looks like he is just going thru the motions, he lacks any
real intensity.

Last edited by nunusguy; 10-29-2007 at 05:56 PM.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #64
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I listened when Kubiak was asked about getting even for the hit on Schaub . Kubiak said they did'nt teach that type of football .

At that point ... for whatever reason ... I thought about who would be the perfect sponsor for the Gary Kubiak show ?

I came up with ... The Gary Kubiak Show brought to you by ... The Amish because we're pacifist .
Old 10-29-2007   #65
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Then he went on to praise the play of CC Brown !
Kubiak must have been reviewing a different game, because I have no idea
how he can reach those kind of conclusions about Mario & CC ?
I can for sure say that CC was easily beaten by Antonio Gates during that game. It isn't even that CC was out of position...he just got confused on the route. I'm not sure CC understands the tendencies of the offenses we play. I think he just takes everything as it comes to him.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #66
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Mario is exceptional?
About Gates' touchdown, he said something like, "Mario almost single handedly beat a double team and had a hand on Rivers causing the weak throw that almost didn't get there". He may have said "almost had a hand on him". I need to check that one out on DVR and see what he sees.
Old 10-29-2007   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
About Gates' touchdown, he said something like, "Mario almost single handedly beat a double team and had a hand on Rivers causing the weak throw that almost didn't get there". He may have said "almost had a hand on him". I need to check that one out on DVR and see what he sees.
I thought someone bumped Rivers as he threw it . At the very least they did'nt allow him to step into the Throw .

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803b241f

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 10-29-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2007   #68
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He also said that he was very happy with his caoching staff.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #69
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8733 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
He also said that he was very happy with his caoching staff.
if he's so happy with everyones job. why we still getting our a$$ kicked.
utahmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #70
White Runningback
Veteran

Pacifist? More like passive-aggressive. Maybe his ego is getting in the way of his ability to cope with being second-guessed. Maybe he should check his because A.) this is the NFL, B.) Houston has rabid fans and C.) Kubiak isn't close to Tony Dungy's level, and should not expect a free pass.

Last edited by White Runningback; 10-29-2007 at 07:01 PM.
White Runningback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #71
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario also got praise from ND Kalu. Kalu shoots straight from the hip so he's definitely not sugar coating it. I think fans often look at one or a handful of plays instead of evaluating as a whole.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #72
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Mario didn't play bad, I'd give his performance last week about B-

As for Kubiak praising him after watching the film. One thing about game film is they can see the secondary and really examine where things go wrong, if things go wrong in the secondary quick enough, the Dline has NO CHANCE at getting a sack. Unless of course you are playing against a Carr-esque QB that can't read coverages and wouldn't notice the open guy. So there may have been plays where Mario beat his man but the coverage didn't hold up to allow him to really get to the QB.

I don't know how many hurries Mario had, he did have a sack and I am guessing he had 4 hurries.

I don't think Mario is that big of a problem. I think the Dline will play better if our secondary could actually cover guys...which brings me to Faggins...why is he starting?

I think he has done enough to lose his starting job.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #73
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think anyone should be surprised by Coach Kubiak saying that the Texans are not about retaliation hits. It would seem pretty hollow to pop off in a news conference. I think it's an unwritten rule/agreement players have for one another. It's the "Band of Brothers" thing ya know?
Old 10-29-2007   #74
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Mario didn't play bad, I'd give his performance last week about B-

As for Kubiak praising him after watching the film. One thing about game film is they can see the secondary and really examine where things go wrong, if things go wrong in the secondary quick enough, the Dline has NO CHANCE at getting a sack. Unless of course you are playing against a Carr-esque QB that can't read coverages and wouldn't notice the open guy. So there may have been plays where Mario beat his man but the coverage didn't hold up to allow him to really get to the QB.

I don't know how many hurries Mario had, he did have a sack and I am guessing he had 4 hurries.

I don't think Mario is that big of a problem. I think the Dline will play better if our secondary could actually cover guys...which brings me to Faggins...why is he starting?

I think he has done enough to lose his starting job.
Mario had one tackle and one assist. I don't think he was a big problem Sunday, but he wasn't a difference maker at all....just like most of his games.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #75
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I thought someone bumped Rivers as he threw it . At the very least they did'nt allow him to step into the Throw .

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803b241f
I just watched it on TV a couple of times. Mario pushed his man back into Rivers, probably affecting the throw. Calling it "beating a double team" is VERY generous, however. The guard did stick his arm out to the left while looking for someone to block. That's it.

It's at the 6:00 mark of the 1st quarter if anyone who wants to check it out.
Old 10-29-2007   #76
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just watched it on TV a couple of times. Mario pushed his man back into Rivers, probably affecting the throw. Calling it "beating a double team" is VERY generous, however. The guard did stick his arm out to the left while looking for someone to block. That's it.

My hat is off to you, sir. I couldn't bring myself to TiVo the game because I felt like it would be tantamount to recording a bus load of nuns and orphans stuck in a bus on railroad tracks - too horrible to ever play back. Even if I had recorded it, though, I wouldn't be man enough to go back and watch it again. No, not even in the name of science.

You've got stones of brass, sir, to go back and watch that travesty again.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Echemandu before he tweaked his hammy.... I suppose I'll just wait til next week, though.
Old 10-29-2007   #77
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

I watched just a very short segment a couple of times. I could handle it.
Old 10-29-2007   #78
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If he played closer to Kubiaks assessment than what I thought I saw, I'm delighted to admit I was wrong.
I certainly hope Kubiak is on mark if he's describing Marios play as "at a very high level".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #79
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Mario also got praise from ND Kalu. Kalu shoots straight from the hip so he's definitely not sugar coating it. I think fans often look at one or a handful of plays instead of evaluating as a whole.
This is what Kalu said:

Quote:
(on if he is seeing enough urgency and passion) Yes, even when you watch the film, were down 35-10 and (CB) Dunta Robinson had two of the best tackle Ive seen from a cornerback. (DE) Mario (Williams) gets a lot of heat but if you watch him the whole game, he had a pretty good game. Its there and no body ever gave up. We played bad football. Im going to sit here and sugarcoat it for you.
I finally read everything Kubiak said:

That whole discussion of dings, and dodging talking about the concussion word is crap:

Quote:
(on the injury update from yesterday, especially QB Matt Schaub) (QB) Matt (Schaub), all his tests were fine. He was back with the team today. He was in meetings. Hes going to be day-to-day, so well have to wait and see. Hes not feeling great today, so well see and well take it day-by-day.

(on what grade of a concussion it was) No, they really didnt tell me that, just that he got dinged pretty good. Hes having some headaches. I know hes having some headaches today. Like I said, hes around the football team today, so well just take it day-to-day.

(on if the league has a rule that he has to be out for a period of time) No, all I know is there are a series of tests that we run on players when things happen. Theyll obviously do that with him.

(on if hes calling it a concussion) Am I? Im not calling it anything. Im just saying he got dinged and hes not feeling very good today and well wait and see.
Does he have to be that evasive for medical privacy reasons or something? I know there is a minimum stuff that they are supposed to reveal, but wow, that's pretty tap dancy there.

The best thing he is doing is having the entire team watch film together:

Quote:
(on what he said to the players in meetings today) Were just honest with each other. We sit in here and watch the game together. One of the things that goes on in football, a lot of people separate the special teams go here, defense goes here, offense goes there and its easy to go worry about your own problems. My perspective and the way I look at things, and it may be a little different, but I think our problems are team problems. So when we sit in here and watch film, we watch it together offense watch the defense, defense watch the offense. I think its important that players know whats going on amongst both groups. Its not just, Hey our rooms getting this done, your rooms getting that done. Were just trying to address our problems as a team and make sure that we stay as a team as we move forward and try to fix these problems.
I think that is worth doing, especially for a team that has been very cliqued up in the past.

Eric Winston on the retaliation issue on Schaub:

Quote:
(on whats the reaction when you see guys go after the quarterback) A lot of the guys are upset, but what are you going to do. We could be five-year old kids and go try to hit him back or we just try to get it back on the field. Thats what were going to try to do. Were not going to quit. Theres not going to be any quit in this team. Were going to keep swinging. Were going to keep fighting. Were going to keep playing hard and you have to figure the law of statistics are going to catch up with us at some point. We just have to go out there and just get 100 percent effort, execute better, and hopefully the ball will start bouncing our way.
Old 10-29-2007   #80
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing that jumped out to me was that the guy that knocked Schaub also took a cheapshot at Flanagan and took him out. That's ridiculous.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read