Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #41
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak Live at 3:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Now I know you don't know what your talking about because Petey has made a handful of plays IN HIS CAREER AS AN NFL PLAYER. The guy has been WAY below average ever since he came into the league. Playing well? Give me a f'in break.
Wahyever, we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I think Petey is a good nickel corner, and this is all he is/can be. When asked to play as teh #2 and cover the likes of Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith he is going to get beat like a red headed step child...but then again so are all of our CBs except for Dunta

Quote:
He has been here for less than a year...give him a chance to learn the system through some playing time. I never said he would be better but give him a chance to GROW into the system.
First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave. In his career Fletcher has shown less the Faggins. I know this maybe be hard for you to accept but no amount of time in the system will make Fletcher any better. FYI, vets don't tend to GROW in any system...they are what the are. Fletcher did not even beat out Petey for the starting spot, and he's done nothing on the field to beat out either Petey or Bennett.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #42
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave.
You do realize that the Lions lead the league in takeaways, right? Yea, nice one.

Quote:
First off Feltcher was cut from the defensive powerhouse the Lions, and when it happened most were happy to see him leave. In his career Fletcher has shown less the Faggins. I know this maybe be hard for you to accept but no amount of time in the system will make Fletcher any better. FYI, vets don't tend to GROW in any system...they are what the are. Fletcher did not even beat out Petey for the starting spot, and he's done nothing on the field to beat out either Petey or Bennett.
How is anyone going to beat him out if he is not held accountable? He was benched (edit: I shouldn't say benched more like pulled from #2 CB spot) last week, but this is after being posterized week after week. You know when Steve Smith said "We should run over there ass like it's high school"? He was talking about Faggins, and in his case he did run over him, just like high school.

Also, everyone grows in a system that they are just learning in. Doesn't matter how old you are.

Your bad when it comes to talking about defensive secondary it seems, I will move on.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-29-2007 at 04:37 PM.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #43
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Don't know anything about Matt Stevens so that went right over my head. Explain please. But yes, some of his decisions (like if he continues to bench White and keep Flanagetuskilled in) really baffle me. Like I've done in the other thread, I will continue to have faith in him. But he better step up and be a head coach and stop letting his goes goof off. He needs to be the coach not their drinking buddy.
Matt Stevens was the starting FS for the first two years of the franchise. He could not be trusted as the last line of defense - he was constantly getting burned.
Old 10-29-2007   #44
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
like we can trust them when they report injuries....yeah.
True, this is the kind of thing that in TexansWorld can be season ending ankle surgery in 4 weeks.
Old 10-29-2007   #45
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30855 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You do realize that the Lions lead the league in takeaways, right? Yea, nice one.
I bet the Lions wished that INTs were the only defensive stat that mattered. The lions were 28th in total D, 25th in pass D, 22nd in plays over 20 yrds allowed, 21 in plays over 40 yards allowed, and no team's oppentents had a higher completion % then the Lions (ie the allowed the highest completion % off all teams in the NFL).

Yup I beat those Lions sure wish that INTs were the only thing that a D had to focus on.

And if Fletcher is so good, remind me off all the teams that tried to sign him this offseason...that's right I forgot about and the and then the tried to sign him.

Fletcher would be out of the NFL if the Texans were not in as bad shape as they are in regards to depth.

Quote:
Also, everyone grows in a system that they are just learning in. Doesn't matter how old you are.
Name a good play Fletcher has had this season and I'll concede the point.
Old 10-29-2007   #46
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And if Fletcher is so good

Fletcher would be out of the NFL if the Texans were not in as bad shape as they are in regards to depth.
Who said Fletcher was so good? Not me. About Fletcher having no job in the NFL: That's just either a completely idotic statement or a completely uninformed statement. Fletcher had 3 INTs last year. He also had an INT in both the two seasons before that. He is obviously showing a nack for intercepting the ball in the last few years.

He would easily get picked up by another team if he were cut by us.

Quote:
Name a good play Fletcher has had this season and I'll concede the point.
Name a play that Petey has made. Name a game where Fletcher played half as much as Petey. I'm not saying Fletcher is good or not. I am saying give him a chance over someone who continually gets exposed for what he is, a bad football player.
Old 10-29-2007   #47
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Conversely, he consistently states that Mario is doing a great job, exceptional job, etc. His tone with Mario has been positive all season, pretty much since the Cowboys preseason game. So I'm wondering - what job or role does this staff have lined out for Mario? Obviously, Kubiak is happy with how Mario is performing at his job, whatever it may be, so I am curious what that entails.
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I have to wonder if Mario being his first pick as a new HC has anything to do with it.

I'm not a hater and not calling him 'bust', but dude just fails to impress me. Perhaps I should expect nothing, and my expectations will then be fulfilled. Pretty much how I feel about this franchise in general right about now.
Old 10-29-2007   #48
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I have to wonder if Mario being his first pick as a new HC has anything to do with it.

I'm not a hater and not calling him 'bust', but dude just fails to impress me. Perhaps I should expect nothing, and my expectations will then be fulfilled. Pretty much how I feel about this franchise in general right about now.
As a fellow cynic, I'd be with you on that, except Kubiak has pointed out, in the past, where Mario has had work to do. In the first couple preseason games this year, for that matter. I think Kubiak genuinely sees Mario playing his position well. Without having access to coach's film, I'd really like to know what the heck he's seeing that we're not. I am puzzled.
Old 10-29-2007   #49
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Who said Fletcher was so good? Not me. About Fletcher having no job in the NFL: That's just either a completely idotic statement or a completely uninformed statement. Fletcher had 3 INTs last year. He also had an INT in both the two seasons before that. He is obviously showing a nack for intercepting the ball in the last few years.

He would easily get picked up by another team if he were cut by us.

Name a play that Petey has made. Name a game where Fletcher played half as much as Petey. I'm not saying Fletcher is good or not. I am saying give him a chance over someone who continually gets exposed for what he is, a bad football player.
Yup cause there was sucha rush to sign the mighty Jamaal Fletcher last offseason.

I mean there were even teams in desperate help at DB that tried to sign him; all I can say is thank god the Texans were abel to talk him into coming here.

I can say that Fletcher would not have a job this year without the Texans because that is what palyed out last offseason. Because no team but the Texans made a move to sign him. NONE. Fletcher was part of one of the worst pass D last year, and now he's part of one of the worst pass Ds this year and he still cannot get on the field.

Do you ever wonder why?

Do you wonder why the Lions let him go?
Old 10-29-2007   #50
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217165 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

When you defend a player's performance by pointing out how poorly his backup is performing, you've pretty much conceded the point, IMO.
Old 10-29-2007   #51
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Whatever. My point is a) that there is no better option at CB2 then the rotation of Bennett and Faggins and b) Fletcher is no better, and in my view worse, then Petey.

I never said that Petey is good.
Old 10-29-2007   #52
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a fellow cynic, I'd be with you on that, except Kubiak has pointed out, in the past, where Mario has had work to do. In the first couple preseason games this year, for that matter. I think Kubiak genuinely sees Mario playing his position well. Without having access to coach's film, I'd really like to know what the heck he's seeing that we're not. I am puzzled.
Maybe it is a compared-to-what situation. Compared to Anthony Weaver?

Actually, I think Kubiak talks about Mario each week because that is one of the few players on defense that reporters bother to ask about. And Kubiak says basically good not spectacular. Which is about right.

Personally, I think it is funny that R. Justice, as an example, always begins and ends his discussion of the Texans defense with Mario and Faggins but won't say a peep about Richard Smith. The defensive issues are more than just Mario and Faggins. Hard to have an amazing day on the defensive line when the secondary is doing some absolutely goofy things. Woohooo, 4 plays and a score.

Jerome Solomon has his pointy stick out on Richard Smith in his blog.
Old 10-29-2007   #53
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fletcher was part of one of the worst pass D last year, and now he's part of one of the worst pass Ds this year and he still cannot get on the field.
How much of a part is he really? Look at who is giving up most of our TDs through the air.

Fletcher may be worse than Petey, but I wouldn't be able to tell. Petey has seen so many more snaps in this scheme than Fletcher, I can't accurately grade them. But it is obvious that Petey is picked on by every team that plays us no matter where he is lined up on the field.

My point is that we need to give some of these other guys equal opportunity that Petey is getting. It is just not fair to let Petey play way more than these other guys and he does not even play well.

Quote:
When you defend a player's performance by pointing out how poorly his backup is performing, you've pretty much conceded the point, IMO.
Agreed. And why not give him equal opportunity at the nickel spot. If he get's burned let him, that's fine, then we know it as so, but to not give me a fair chance...just mind boggling to me.

If it were up to me I'd have CB#1: Dunta, CB#2: Bennett, CB#3: Fletcher for next game. I wouldn't even substitute unless my guys were tired.
Old 10-29-2007   #54
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Maybe it is a compared-to-what situation. Compared to Anthony Weaver?

Actually, I think Kubiak talks about Mario each week because that is one of the few players on defense that reporters bother to ask about. And Kubiak says basically good not spectacular. Which is about right.
See, this is where I'm lost. Kubiak never really sounds like he's saying "basically good not spectacular". He uses words like great and exceptional. In today's presser, he said Mario was exceptional. And he lumped him in with Dunta Robinson. I'm just not getting it, and I am not bashing Mario - he just hasn't been exceptional, that I can see. So I figure I don't know what the hell I'm looking for, and I'd like some enlightenment.
Old 10-29-2007   #55
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
See, this is where I'm lost. Kubiak never really sounds like he's saying "basically good not spectacular". He uses words like great and exceptional. In today's presser, he said Mario was exceptional. And he lumped him in with Dunta Robinson. I'm just not getting it, and I am not bashing Mario - he just hasn't been exceptional, that I can see. So I figure I don't know what the hell I'm looking for, and I'd like some enlightenment.
Yea I have the same thing to say about Kubiak and what he says about Mario. I can't figure out if he is just trying to pimp the players he wants to keep or he is being downright serious.
Old 10-29-2007   #56
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 937 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I figured everyone outside of the noob fans knew exactly who Matt Stevens was. I don't know of any player more hated than him in this franchise history.
Buchanon...
Old 10-29-2007   #57
eriadoc
Texan-American

Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.

I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.
Old 10-29-2007   #58
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak also said that Andre Johnson has "an excellent chance" of playing in Oakland this week. Hey, don't shoot the messenger.
Old 10-29-2007   #59
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me!!!
Old 10-29-2007   #60
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me!!!
You know, I almost had to turn off 610. I'm so tired of hearing Kubes praise Mario. It was more than "good" today he was in fantasy land of football where Mario did some great things and was steaming through double teams and making QB's throws off. Just say, "he is off and on but improving and has alot to work on." I'd take that all day instead of hearing about secret film that shows him making wonder moves. I'm glad two women called in to rag on them about being buddies with people after games instead of being peeved.

Quote:
Kubiak on SR610 right now, and just had some more gushing comments about Mario Williams. Rich Lord kind of posed the question we're asking, which is "WTF?", and Kubiak said all you have to do is cut the film on him, or call the left tackle from SD. He then gave one specific example, on the busted coverage TD to Gates, saying that Mario almost single-handedly beat a double team and got a hand on Rivers and altered the throw to a small extent.

I think I need to pay better attention. Kubiak's comments made it very clear he considers Mario's play to be at a very high level right now and all season.
Sorry eriadoc, didn't see this but see my comments above. I want to see this Zupruder game film./

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read