Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #21
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on Jordan Black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
However, you did catch the politics of why Wand was replaced by Riley in 2005, ironically they year the offense transitioned from adequate in 2004 to a complete failure in 2005. Coaches make decisions based on things other than on-field performance all the time. That's why fans can't figure out the moves sometimes.
In other words, fans don't know the whole story. You say that he's better than what we now have, while at the same time, he's not on anyone else's team, not even as a backup.

You don't wonder why that is?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #22
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Wand's the tackle that gave them the best production on the field. Nobody before or after has done as well in my book. That he's out there and the Texans haven't signed him is stupid. But I think that's a bridge that might have been burnt when they canned him the first time. It's amazing to me. I think if they'd kept him another two to three weeks on the roster, after Spencer got injured and Salaam obviously was not the answer, he would still be on the team and, IMO, we would not be bitching about the o-line.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You don't wonder why that is?
About as much as I wonder why Carr is on a roster and people like Testeverde can be brought in as street free agents and be better. I don't think the Texans roster is so stoked with talent it can't be improved.

Politics, system, opportunity - there is a lot that goes into a player's career that they can't control.
Old 10-30-2007   #24
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
About as much as I wonder why Carr is on a roster and people like Testeverde can be brought in as street free agents and be better. I don't think the Texans roster is so stoked with talent it can't be improved.

Politics, system, opportunity - there is a lot that goes into a player's career that they can't control.
What politics? I'm not calling you out, I just don't remember politics being involved per se. I remember them making panic moves (for once John McClain was spot on), I remember everything being focussed on reducing sacks - changing schemes, the bell or whistle or gong or whatever to Pavlov train Carr to get rid of the ball, and getting a washed-up right tackle. What I don't remember is Seth Wand saying or doing anything against the coaches or something like that to put him in the doghouse. Or are you saying they were trying to pin the blame for the sackathon on Wand?
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #25
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
What politics? I'm not calling you out, I just don't remember politics being involved per se. ... What I don't remember is Seth Wand saying or doing anything against the coaches or something like that to put him in the doghouse. Or are you saying they were trying to pin the blame for the sackathon on Wand?
No, I was not talking about politics and anything Wand said or did.

Here is an example of the type of politics that I'm talking about.

The owner likes Carr, so he is the designated starter for 5 years no matter what. No other QB gets a chance. He gets an outlandish extension for very little performance. The David Carr saga was all politics.

I would guess there were some politics around Wand though.

Wand was perceived as a Casserly guy. When the coaches and front office started going at it, some players were inexplicably kept off the field. Riley in favor of Wand is a joke, and Weary was deeper in the doghouse than Wand, among other examples.

When young players are kept off the field early in their careers, it can be tough for them to then make it in the league. It is a fact of the NFL, and many times no fault of the player.

Quote:
I remember them making panic moves (for once John McClain was spot on), I remember everything being focussed on reducing sacks - changing schemes, the bell or whistle or gong or whatever to Pavlov train Carr to get rid of the ball, and getting a washed-up right tackle.
Ahhh - the good ol' days.
Old 10-30-2007   #26
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

To get this thread back on topic, Jordan Black was the starting left tackle for a playoff team last year, and so many, many Texans fans were glad to have him. Given the problems the line has had, why doesn't he get some playing time at left tackle or guard? He was supposed to be able to play most positions on the line.
Old 10-30-2007   #27
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Ok, things are a lot clearer. I can see that happening, but in Riley's case, he was brought in before the rift began. I was thinking more along the lines of they brought Riley in, but he was a complete bust, so they didn't want to admit their mistake and reinstall Wand. Which I guess is another flavor of politicing.
Sponsored links
Old 10-30-2007   #28
Rex King
Veteran

On Black, I thought he was supposed to be a better RT than LT. Perhaps we may have a better opinion of him if he had to fill in for Winston instead of Salaam.
Old 10-30-2007   #29
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
Ok, things are a lot clearer. I can see that happening, but in Riley's case, he was brought in before the rift began. I was thinking more along the lines of they brought Riley in, but he was a complete bust, so they didn't want to admit their mistake and reinstall Wand. Which I guess is another flavor of politicing.
If I recall correctly, Riley was on pace to give up almost 30 sacks himself after 2-3 games. They switched Pitts back to left tackle at some point and moved Riley to right guard (ahead of Weary!) either immediately or upon an injury to another lineman.

That Riley must have been some kind of good to earn all that playing time. Or something.
Old 10-30-2007   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
On Black, ... if he had to fill in for Winston instead of Salaam.

Don't jinx him! Winston is the best young lineman they have, and he's getting a chance to develop.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read