Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-30-2007   #41
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: John McClain wants us to grade the Texans...

I've been thinking that Matt's interceptions are equivalent to Carr's sacks. Is it possible we're looking at two different symptoms to the same o-line problem? When the o-line failed and the defense came after Carr, he'd run or take the sack. Matt, though, he sees those guys coming and he tries to zing one off to a passer. I'd be curious to know how many of his interceptions happened when he was hurried or forced out of the pocket.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #42
spanrep
Rookie

Yes...clock management has been awful....just adds to the frustrations of the various parts of our game that fall apart sometimes...
spanrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #43
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will--I'm saying it's possible.
yeah, that's true....technically, 11-5 is still possible....just very improbable.
Old 10-30-2007   #44
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I've been thinking that Matt's interceptions are equivalent to Carr's sacks. Is it possible we're looking at two different symptoms to the same o-line problem? When the o-line failed and the defense came after Carr, he'd run or take the sack. Matt, though, he sees those guys coming and he tries to zing one off to a passer. I'd be curious to know how many of his interceptions happened when he was hurried or forced out of the pocket.
Well, we're still getting a bit too many batted/tipped passes, despite Matt's overhand delivery and 6'5" frame.
Old 10-30-2007   #45
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

QB. B+.- Matt Schaub has proven to be a competent quarterback. He doesn’t throw as well on the run a he does in the pocket. He does have the feet and the clock in his head to avoid disasters in the pocket. What remains to be seen is whether he is tough enough to with stand the assault he will be subjected to the rest of the season.

Rbs. – D. No getting around it. The thirty something running back we brought in is hurt. It was just a little helmet bump to the knee. But that little bump was disastrous. Ron Dyane is a shell of a power back. And there is nothing proven on the bench to help. Seeing how there are no holes, I doubt a front line back would of helped this season. Doesn’t help though that Dyane searches for earth worms on his way to the line of scrimmage. Vonta Leech is a plus. But not enough of one to elevate this groups grade.

Recievers/TEs. – A- . The strength of the team. We are solid at WRs 2-5. Owen Daniels is a top flight TE. Putzier is a forgotten man and has made a couple of errors. Fact is he is not getting enough targets. Water is a top flight #2 and will keep J.J. at the slot -PR position. J.J. is still suffering from NFL shock form the injury. I’m not going to be surprised if the shoulder is separated to the point that he will need surgery in the off season. He is playing hurt or scared. David Anderson has made some errors but he has more than made up for them with his clutch plays. Andre Davis has proven to be a very nice find and will, if he can get through the rest of the season without a major injury, be a big plus in rotation next year. Is A.J. coming back or is he not coming back ? I have no proof but I’m smelling another Wong injury.

O-Line. - D- . Only Erick Winston is playing well. The guards are plodding . They are weak at the point of attack and they neither move the pile nor do they seal the lanes. They do not execute blocks in open space. They are so bad in open space, they cannot call a screen pass with any faith. The screen pass should be a staple of this offense. They only attempted three of them in the San Diego game. All three were disasters. There is not one front line starter currently who would be starting for another NFL club.
Salaam is hanging in there. The proof in that pudding will be how many QBs we have left standing by the end of the season.
Steve McKinney must be a NFL Gaud. If we aren’t rebuilding this unit this off season, something is terribly wrong.

D-line- B- . They are collapsing the pocket and playing the run very well. Ombi Okoye and Mario Williams both have 4 sacks a piece at the mid way point. I like there progress and believe they will get better every game. N.D Kalu has had some pressures. Where is Shanta Orr ?

LBs . C- . There is no getting around it. After three seasons of seeing it, we have no linebackers on the roster who can get there on the Blitz. And that is why an offensive coordinator can call a double move pass pattern with impunity in a two minute drill and have no fear that his QB will be molested. Get use to it. They are great on rushing plays . But you take your chances when you’re going up against a top flight TE or a scat back with receiving skills.

DB . – F. I stand to humbly disagree with this coaching staffs assessments of the starting free safty and the Number 2 corner back.

Special teams. - B.
Only Garo Yupremian looked worse on a busted kick play than Turk did last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_VII

Quote:
Miami's quest for a perfect season was jeopardized when Redskins cornerback Mike Bass grabbed Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian's fumble and returned it 49 yards for a touchdown. Indeed, it was the longest period in a Super Bowl to date for one team to be shut out, as Washington was held scoreless until 2:07 remained in the fourth quarter.
TBS, Turk has been spot on with his punting. But the dude needs some major gym time. Brown has been all pro on his field goals and is much improved from last year. We have gunners, guys who chase the punt on the punt team. Whoever the guys are who block the gunners on the punt return team, they need to return a portion of their check back to Mr. McNair. They are stealing from him.
Kick off tackling is spoty at best. Kick off blocking isn’t much better.

Coaching- Inc.

The fact of the matter is this head coach is still learning. I think he is dead wrong for sticking with Petey Faggins and the grey beard at center. I understand what he is attempting to do. He is stubborn and he hasn’t given up on the season yet. He still envisions a great come back with a run of several wins. Gotta love that. However, you don’t let your team stand around while your 48 million dollar QB is getting ear holed by a second tiered punk. That’s on Kubiack. That’s attitude and that comes straight from the head coach. Clock management has been god awful all season. Someone needs to be in charge of the clock. Because it is clear, beyond doubt, that Kubiak can not do that and manage the play calls also.

He is stubborn . And in a fox hole down to your last few bullets that’s a good thing. But some things, you’re just making the dung pile higher. At some point you gotta step back and figure something stinks and you stop shoveling

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-30-2007 at 02:41 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read