Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

John McClain wants us to grade the Texans...

Hervoyel

BUENO!
And so I did grade the Texans. Then I posted it here too. Everyone has their own opinions but my halfway point grade for the team is as follows.

Quarterbacks: B

Matt Schaub has been asked to do a lot more than anyone expected him to have to do and he's been "not perfect". He turns the ball over too much and has made some questionable throws but you can't forget that he's a young QB who has only started a handful of games. He looks better than most rookies do which is something. Rosenfels has reminded everyone why he's a career backup with his own turnovers. Still the QB play is head and shoulders above what it's been in previous seasons.

We have quality NFL Quarterbacking on this team.

Runningbacks: F

The Texans don't have a running back or a running game to speak of. Ahman Green (waste of money) is a "used to be", Ron Dayne is a "never was", and Samkon Gado was a "flash in the pan". If Joe Echemandu turns out to be any sort of player at all then we'll have found our best back this year by pure stupid blind luck.

That's funny considering that the only other "quality" running back to ever play on this team was aquired in the same manner. Domanick Davis was drafted to be a special teams contributor and third down back and never expected to carry the franchise. The Texans got lucky then too.

It's happened so few times I thought it was worth mentioning.

We do not have a running back on this team that should be starting in the NFL (unless it's the guy we just picked up off the street)

Receivers/Tight Ends: B

Andre Johnson was off to a career year when he went down. Kevin Walter has proven that the coaches faith in him was deserved. Owen Daniels continues to be a solid player, and Andre Davis has been great filling in for AJ.

We have quality NFL recievers and tight ends on this team.

Offensive Line: D

From left to right Ephraim Salaam is a backup who doesn't have enough in the tank to play four quarters a week. By next year he shouldn't be able to make this team. If he can then we haven't improved enough. Chester Pitts is having maybe his worst season since 2002. Steve McKinney was holding his own but Mike Flannagan needed to retire two years ago. He no longer belongs in the NFL. Fred Weary is having a pretty good year and Eric Winston is getting the job done (although he plays the RT spot like he thinks he's still on the left side). The line can pass protect better than we thought they could last year but since they can't run block to save their lives it makes little difference.

We've got some NFL quality players now but we need more. This has got to stop once and for all.

Defensive Line: D

Mario Williams runs himself out of plays and when he doesn't Travis Johnson takes a play off to compensate. Honestly Travis isn't having that bad a year but he's still not a guy who goes all out every down. Amobi Akoye is looked pretty good but he's still a rookie and making rookie mistakes. At least he's got more motor than the other two first round slugs. The rest of the free agents like Kalu and Weaver are doing their part as the "potatos" of the line but as long as the "meat" doesn't produce it doesn't matter much.

We have an exceptionally average NFL quality defensive line.

Linebackers: C

DeMeco Ryans is having a bit of a drop-off I think but he's at least still playing at a high level. Morlon Greenwood is also having a nice season though he's not going to set the world on fire no matter what the circumstances. Only the Houston Texans would give a guy like Morlon a contract like that. The rest of the linebackers are ordinary at best.

We have one excellent linebacker. We need at least one more.

Defensive Backs: D

Dunta Robinson is the only guy starting back there that should be starting on an NFL defense. The rest of them are "quality depth" and on some of them you can drop the "quality". We need help back here in the worst way. Of course the fact that we can generate no pass rush makes it hard to truly grade them.

We need... yes, all of the above.

Coaches: F

Richard Smith has no business pretending to be a Defensive Coordinator. Position Coach is about the most he can handle. His defense is vanilla, slow, and seems to lack any kind of direction. They're on their heels much of the time and stopping nobody. Smith was the second choice when Frank Bush was not given permission to talk to the Texans but now Bush is here so why is the consolation prize still calling the shots?

Mike Shermans offense (and I can only presume this abomination came with him from Green Bay because it looks nothing like anything the Denver Broncos do) is offensive. The one thing you would expect this guy to be able to get out of our team would be a minimal running game. After all we've always been able to do a little of that. You would be wrong though because this Texans team is lousy at running the football. Sherman is so short of talent that he can't do any better or he's not getting it done. Since he's responsible for Samkon Gado and Mike Flannagan I must question whether he's capable of doing this job. I think I see a new offensive coordinator in our future. Sherman was a mistake. "His" system and the Denver system do not seem to mix well.

Kubiak needs to make some moves if his coordinators aren't getting it done. He could go down with his people like Capers did with Pendry and Fangio but I'd like to think he's smart enough to see that there's no future in that. Smith and Sherman are done. Bring in somebody who can coach a defense and promote Shanahan's kid to offensive coordinator (which really amounts to being Gary's assistant).

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
You really should be a sports writer, Herv. If any one asks me, I'll tell them to give you McClain's job.

All the same, I wish you hadn't mentioned Pendry's name. I've been sleeping well lately and now I probably won't tonight.

My only revision would probably be to grade our quarterback play as 'C,' as in average for NFL ... maybe a C+. Yes, AJ is out but Schaub makes too many mistakes. I know he's banged up right now but I thought that before he got hurt too. He's a vast improvement over C_rr, earns high marks for accurate throws, mostly good decisions and being able to use the entire field, but too many costly turnovers offset the positives.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Good stuff for the most part, but what makes you want to elevate the kid who is still wet behind the ears?

C

Ckw

Excellent job! Only thing I would disagree is the OL. It gets a big fat F! Our pass protection has not been good. It hasn't even been average. We're 10th in the league in sacks allowed! And this isn't half the story because if you watch the games, numerous sacks have been averted by Schaub stepping up into the pocket or getting rid of the ball the split second before he is nailed. He is constantly picking himself up out of the grass. Great job though and thanks a ton for posting.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
You missed special teams, they get a big fat I, for incomplete. allowing an onside kick in the first half of the Jags and letting Sandiego get 7 instead of 2 is absolutely unexcusable. This is just elementatry school play and we had better do something or I will be the only one standing in Reliant.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Oh, ok. I'd elevate him to the position with the understanding that Kubiak would be calling the plays and that baby Shanahan would be assisting him. That's assuming that nobody better could be brought in to coach our offense.

I'm making that assumption that we're not going to be able to steal any high-priced offensive guru's away from other teams at either the collegiate or professional levels. In that case I see Kubiak running the offense himself for all practical purposes.

This whole grading exercise is just a waste of time.

Kubiak in year 2 is just a differrent shade of gray from Capers year 4.

That's it in a nut shell and I have no desire to poke my eye balls out over a pointless activity.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good post, Herv, except I'd give our o-line an F, as well. I'd use the word "pathetic" but then I'd hate to insult the word with that comparison.

I'd also give our coaching staff an F- (if that's possible).

After six seasons of garbage, it is embarassing to be a Texans fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL, and I honestly cannot blame anyone for finding something better to do on Sundays than watch such a bad product. I'm wondering if I've got some sort of mental problem for constantly subjecting myself to this crap week in/week out. :gun:

WWJD

Hall of Fame
The Texans are not mentally tough at all...I fault the coaches for that. How to correct I don't know.

So the coach grade is F.

I think Schaub is a big upgrade although he plays like Carr sometimes...he's hurt though and taking a beating so it's unfair to blame him...Sage I dunno. Some plays he's so good he looks like an all pro and then he makes the bone headed mistakes that cost the team points or field position....C I guess.

O line....D

D line....D

Porky

Hall of Fame
Good post, Herv, except I'd give our o-line an F, as well. I'd use the word "pathetic" but then I'd hate to insult the word with that comparison.

After six seasons of garbage, it is embarassing to be a Texans fan right now. We are the laughing stock of the NFL, and I honestly cannot blame anyone for finding something better to do on Sundays than watch such a bad product. I'm wondering if I've got some sort of mental problem for constantly subjecting myself to this crap week in/week out. :gun:
Mental problem? You must have contracted Vinsanity. It's very bad, and can be spread via television.

eriadoc

Texan-American
There were a few folks who pointed out that the O-line was showing problems in preseason and the first couple weeks, but Schaub was compensating. There's only so much chicken salad you can make with that chickens---.

Texans: F- (only because there isn't a lower grade). That's my grade. It's been 5-1/2 years of pathetic football. The offensive line has sucked for the entire 5-1/2 years. I'm beginning to wonder what brain child they're going to have to hire to inform them that the O-line sucks, and that affects every phase of the football team.

disaacks3

Staff member
Quarterbacks: B

Matt Schaub has been asked to do a lot more than anyone expected him to have to do and he's been "not perfect". He turns the ball over too much and has made some questionable throws but you can't forget that he's a young QB who has only started a handful of games. He looks better than most rookies do which is something. Rosenfels has reminded everyone why he's a career backup with his own turnovers. Still the QB play is head and shoulders above what it's been in previous seasons.

We have quality NFL Quarterbacking on this team.
I can't quite give the Schaub a "B", maybe a B-Minus or a C+. I kinda hoped he would stop trying to force the ball into triple-plus coverage once a game, but I'm still waiting. It looks better than under Carr, but is that really something to hang the hat on?

Defensive Line: D

Mario Williams runs himself out of plays and when he doesn't Travis Johnson takes a play off to compensate. Honestly Travis isn't having that bad a year but he's still not a guy who goes all out every down. Amobi Akoye is looked pretty good but he's still a rookie and making rookie mistakes. At least he's got more motor than the other two first round slugs. The rest of the free agents like Kalu and Weaver are doing their part as the "potatos" of the line but as long as the "meat" doesn't produce it doesn't matter much.

We have an exceptionally average NFL quality defensive line.
Except for truly exceptional D-Lines, you need more than the front four to do any good. A better Secondary will help this group immensely. Average = C

Defensive Backs: D

Dunta Robinson is the only guy starting back there that should be starting on an NFL defense. The rest of them are "quality depth" and on some of them you can drop the "quality". We need help back here in the worst way. Of course the fact that we can generate no pass rush makes it hard to truly grade them.

We need... yes, all of the above.
It kinda goes both ways on the Front 4 vs. the Secondary. I don't think the word "Coverage Sack" is going to come up in a Texans Defensive discussion anytime soon. "D" sounds about right.

Richard Smith has no business pretending to be a Defensive Coordinator. Position Coach is about the most he can handle. His defense is vanilla, slow, and seems to lack any kind of direction. They're on their heels much of the time and stopping nobody. Smith was the second choice when Frank Bush was not given permission to talk to the Texans but now Bush is here so why is the consolation prize still calling the shots?

Mike Shermans offense (and I can only presume this abomination came with him from Green Bay because it looks nothing like anything the Denver Broncos do) is offensive. The one thing you would expect this guy to be able to get out of our team would be a minimal running game. After all we've always been able to do a little of that. You would be wrong though because this Texans team is lousy at running the football. Sherman is so short of talent that he can't do any better or he's not getting it done. Since he's responsible for Samkon Gado and Mike Flannagan I must question whether he's capable of doing this job. I think I see a new offensive coordinator in our future. Sherman was a mistake. "His" system and the Denver system do not seem to mix well.

Kubiak needs to make some moves if his coordinators aren't getting it done. He could go down with his people like Capers did with Pendry and Fangio but I'd like to think he's smart enough to see that there's no future in that. Smith and Sherman are done. Bring in somebody who can coach a defense and promote Shanahan's kid to offensive coordinator (which really amounts to being Gary's assistant).
Granted, our scheming stinks, but I honestly don't see anyone but the secondary "on their heels". Our DB talent is so sorely lacking that the cushion they give makes anything below 3rd&8 a gimme. It's also hard to get a running game going w/o a decent line and a healthy running back. (Coaching can't overcome F-level talent). Shanny's kid is still a little green, but this hybridized Offensive scheme seems to be combining the "worst of both worlds". Grade=D

Great overall analysis, I just had those slight variances with your takes.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist

For perspective, the Dolphins and Rams are clearly "the laughing stock" of the NFL right now. Our meltdown of late is more of an ugly footnote.

Quarterbacks: C+

Given the amount of time Schaub spends on his backside, it's hard to gauge exactly how far he is coming along. However, in his games thus far, he has done a good job of finding the correct reciever and making a play. He does tend to make an erratic pass or two, but those are just things that get worked out with time (do note that, for all intents and purposes, Schaub is a rookie). If you take away the wide-reciever errors, Schaub has still thrown more TD passes than INTs. I don't like the fact that he fumbles whenever he is clobbered (because, let's face it...he's going to be getting creamed a good deal this season), but again...awareness comes with time. Overall, he is coming along rather nicely and will be a real threat in a couple of years. As far as Rosenfels is concerned, he is a decent back-up who (much to my surprise) has no problems going down the field. He is a gunslinger. A bad gunslinger, but a gunslinger none-the-less. Anyone who honestly believes that we should bench Schaub halfway through his first season as a starter, in favor of Rosenfels, is a dolt. With that said, I can be comfortable with Sage under center.

Runningbacks: D-

The only reason that I didn't give our running back corp an F is because Echemandu looks as though he may actually be carrying some goods. However, if you remove that little ray of sunlight from stormy field, you have a hell of a disappointment, and at times and embarassment, on your hands. I expected Dayne/Gado to be completely substandard and incompentent, that's just how they are. However, Ahamn Green has been another scouting bust on the part of our front office. What is his salary, 8 million or so dollars, and he is putting up value sized Ron Dayne numbers? Not to mention the fact that he can't stay on the field for an entire game. All of the objections I had about Green when we signed him are proving valid as the season goes on. Let's just hope that Echemandu can help turn things around.

Receivers/Tight Ends: B+

With the exceptions of a few enormous errors (Andre Davis' fumble into the endzone, etc) the WR corp has been phenomenal. In the absense of Andre Johnson, a lot of guys down the depth chart have really stepped it up and has kept our team as competitive as it is. Kevin Walter is having a break out year, I expect him to be a solid number two reciever for years to come. Andre Davis is also proving himself as a deep threat in place of Andre Johnson. However, there one thing that I would like to mention, and it's about our golden boy TE, Owen Daniels. He is a fan favorite, yes, but I am really starting to question him. He has a bad habit of dropping balls and fumbling and always seems to have a hard time getting open. He is also a fairly par run blocker. I do believe that Daniel's has potential, but I think another year on the bench, watch Putzier get it done, would be very benefitial to him.

Offensive Line: D-

The only reason that it's not an F is because there are things that could be done to it right now to significantly improve its quality. For starters, it's time to send Salaam and Flanagan to the waiver bin. In their places, I would move Chetser Pitts back to LT (do remember that the fewest sacks in team history were given up with him at LT) and activate Kasey Studdard at Pitts old position, as well crown Chris White the starter at center. A lot of potential in that line up, unfortunately it's unlikely to happen. So, we'll probably be seeing Salaam continue to be ran through like a turnstile and Flanagan disgracing the position of center with his inability to run block.

Defensive Line: C

Amobi Okoye is all ready starting to blossom and will be true hazard in years to come. He is a quick learner and a good pass rusher. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Mario Williams. Said simply, he needs to spend a year on the bench watching a veteran execute. Who that veteran would be, I don't know, but what I do know is that he is not living up to the hype. Travis Johnson is typically beastly, and one of the few players on our team with attitude. Weaver is, well...being Weaver. Not a lot to really say about a guy who plays in such a painfully mediocre fashion.

Linebackers: C+

DeMeco Ryans is still a beast for any player on the opposing teams offense to handle. He is a tackle machine who is great at getting into the backfield. He could be a better coverage LB, just something to work. As for as Clark and Greenwood goes, I think it's about time to start shopping around. I would like to see Orr get some time in place of Greenwood, but ultimately I think a new, faster player is in order. We have a hard time stopping the run, and I think a lot of it extends from Clark and Greenwood's sluggishness.

Defensive Backs: D+

With the exception of Dunta Robinson, our secondary is a joke. Fortunately, it looks as though we may have an adequate replacement for Faggins in Bennett. However, we really need help at both safety positions. I can't count the amount of times that I've seen one of our corner backs pass off a reciever to a safety that blew the coverage (that's what happen with the first Antonio Gates TD yesterday). Something needs to be done, it's getting ugly out there.

Our schemes are predictable and our defense is pathetic. Our coaching staff really needs to wake up and get its rear in gear. Richard Smith (hopefully) will be axed at the end of this season), and that should help because I don't think that anyone could put together such a completely worthless defensive scheme. Hopefully, by then Sherman and Kubiak will have learned to utilize their strengths, rather than hopelessly flail about our weaknesses. We are not a good conservative football team, I'll be looking for us to be more agressive in the future.

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
"Quarterbacks: B

We have quality NFL Quarterbacking on this team."
Could that grade be a bit too generous ?
Lance Zierlien said in his blog in the Chron that, for the first time, he's having some resevations about the MS decision. He based much of it on a pattern
Schaub is developing about his durability, or lack thereof. He's also concerned about Schaubs lack of arm strength. To that list one could add
Schaubs immobility. In other words he's got a lot of liabilities.
How much different would this season have been with Rosenfelts as the starter at QB while developing a QB from the 2007 Draft ?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There were a few folks who pointed out that the O-line was showing problems in preseason and the first couple weeks, but Schaub was compensating. There's only so much chicken salad you can make with that chickens---.

Texans: F- (only because there isn't a lower grade). That's my grade. It's been 5-1/2 years of pathetic football. The offensive line has sucked for the entire 5-1/2 years. I'm beginning to wonder what brain child they're going to have to hire to inform them that the O-line sucks, and that affects every phase of the football team.
I was a koolaid drinking fool in the pre-season, and I honestly thought a quick-release QB could compensate for a crappy o-line.

Boy was I wrong! And to anybody that I debated, my sincere apologies for wasting your time. Our line has always sucked to some degree in 6 seasons, and it is just sad that we have to endure this garbage once again.

How bout we just grade McClain . I give him a big fat F ..... I just cant stand the guy .
I just give McClain a grade of big fat.

For perspective, the Dolphins and Rams are clearly "the laughing stock" of the NFL right now. Our meltdown of late is more of an ugly footnote.
For more perspective, those teams have had winning seasons and championships in their history.

We are a joke because we've never sniffed at a winning season and have a FO that still cannot figure out the importance of an offensive line.

Every expansion team - except us, of course - has had a least one winning season in their first five years (most even made playoff appearances). The best we can hope for is "next season".

eriadoc

Texan-American
I was a koolaid drinking fool in the pre-season, and I honestly thought a quick-release QB could compensate for a crappy o-line.

Boy was I wrong! And to anybody that I debated, my sincere apologies for wasting your time. Our line has always sucked to some degree in 6 seasons, and it is just sad that we have to endure this garbage once again.
Well, it hasn't been a case of either/or the last couple of years; it's really a question of to what degree do you see one fix helping vs. another, IMO. I've always contended that a solid O-line will make the skill position players look a lot better than the reverse. That's just my opinion, of course. There's no doubt Schaub is an upgrade over the 2005-2006 versions of David Carr, but is he that much an upgrade over the 2003-2004 version? Maybe, but I'd hate to see how Schaub looks after four years behind a bad offensive line. I do not want to see that.

For more perspective, those teams have had winning seasons and championships in their history.

We are a joke because we've never sniffed at a winning season and have a FO that still cannot figure out the importance of an offensive line.

Every expansion team - except us, of course - has had a least one winning season in their first five years (most even made playoff appearances). The best we can hope for is "next season".
I don't think there's any question at this point - we are the worst expansion team ever. The real question is - Can we persevere enough to become one of the all-time losers in pro football? A decade of futility will put us in the conversation with the Cards, Bengals, and pre-Manning Colts.

Porky

Hall of Fame

I don't think you were wrong FWIW. Imagine Carr behind this train wreck. Schaub and Rosenfels have both made plays by keeping their eyes downfield and finding second and third options. Look at how many plays Schaub has made while on the run toward the sideline. He keeps his eyes downfield. The Texans have more long passing plays than almost any team in the league. You can't do that with a bad line unless your QB is mentally quick, and keeps his eyes downfield, not on the pass rushers. You think we would be in the top few teams at long pass plays under Carr? Carr would just run out of bounds. I don't think you were wrong at all. You need to re-think this position imho. :devilpig:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
The real question is - Can we persevere enough to become one of the all-time losers in pro football? A decade of futility will put us in the conversation with the Cards, Bengals, and pre-Manning Colts.

McNair has had us fooled the whole time. He's going for the record. He's targeting the New Orleans Saints 20 year record for futility.

I am of course joking but on a serious note if we go 20 years without a winning season ala the New Orleans Saints then Bob McNair can just go ahead and haul this crap to LA right now and re-christen it the new Los Angelas Express or whatever. I ain't doing New Orleans level sufferring for anybody or anything.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think there's any question at this point - we are the worst expansion team ever. The real question is - Can we persevere enough to become one of the all-time losers in pro football? A decade of futility will put us in the conversation with the Cards, Bengals, and pre-Manning Colts.
*sigh*

Kick a fellow while he's down! :gun:

I don't think you were wrong FWIW. Imagine Carr behind this train wreck. Schaub and Rosenfels have both made plays by keeping their eyes downfield and finding second and third options. Look at how many plays Schaub has made while on the run toward the sideline. He keeps his eyes downfield. The Texans have more long passing plays than almost any team in the league. You can't do that with a bad line unless your QB is mentally quick, and keeps his eyes downfield, not on the pass rushers. You think we would be in the top few teams at long pass plays under Carr? Carr would just run out of bounds. I don't think you were wrong at all. You need to re-think this position imho. :devilpig:
While this is true, ask yourself how would Schaub look after 4-5 years of this nonsense.

I'd bet that he wouldn't look much different than Carr did after getting beat down for so long. I think Schaub starts off with better skills than DC, but a QB can only take the lack of protection for so long. I'll give DC one thing, he was a tough dude to put up with it for so long.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist

Well said. :whip:

But, I have to think that this team still has the wherewithal to turn it around. We're 3-5, we've lost some bad games and our remaining schedule is probably going to be just as tough as our early going. But I still think we can take 5 of the last 8 if we muster up some guts and go back to the drawing board on these crappy schemes we've been running.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well said. :whip:

But, I have to think that this team still has the wherewithal to turn it around. We're 3-5, we've lost some bad games and our remaining schedule is probably going to be just as tough as our early going. But I still think we can take 5 of the last 8 if we muster up some guts and go back to the drawing board on these crappy schemes we've been running.
I hope you're right, jerek.

And while I certainly admire your optimistic outlook, I'm afraid that I don't share it. I think we'll be lucky to win 3 out of the next 8 to at least match our record last year. JMO

Vinny

shiny happy fan
I can't quite give the Schaub a "B", maybe a B-Minus or a C+. I kinda hoped he would stop trying to force the ball into triple-plus coverage once a game, but I'm still waiting. It looks better than under Carr, but is that really something to hang the hat on?
sure it is...despite the obvious monumental problems with the line and with injuries we are giving up very few sacks and the passing game is in the top of the league as he had one of the highest YPA to combine with one of the highest completion %'s among the starting QB's around the league. To me it's pretty obvious that the problem rests around Schaub and not within Schaub. Last year there were issues at QB and in the protection. Schaub has had two helmet to helmet collisions in two weeks so I really can't pin that on him. He has played well enough for this team to win when he hasn't been clobbered. Heck, he carried the team vs the Panthers and drove the team to a win vs the Dolphins with no time and from his own 2 yard line. We'd be 1-7 without him.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't know that the Colts belong in that group. Didn't they go to the AFC championship in the mid 90's (I'm too tired to look it up). How about the Saints and the Patriots of the 80's.

Ok fine I looked it up.. you wanna hear bad? From 77 to 94 they had ONE playoff year, 87.

We should start a thread about all of the miserable teams in the league just to make ourselves feel better. I don't know if its possible to be as bad as the Saints were to start their career. It definitely took perserverence and divine intervention... (knock on wood).

Mike

Yeah, I'll do McClain's job for him. His takes are boring, he's prone to hyperbole and the Chronicle's coverage of the Texans is about as competent as Mario William's knack for getting to the quarterback.

Anyway, "F" for every aspect of the team except for Kris Brown. Just no unity on this team, no fire, I haven't even watched a game the past few weeks as I've been in Brazil, but I can smell the sh!t from way down here below the Equator. This team needs a kick in the @ss and I'm at the point where I doubt Kubiak has the resolve to administer said kick. This is a damn mess.

F to everyone for this past game.

D for the season. The sheer disaster of the past few games, teasing comeback against the Titans included, have all but erased the hype generated from the early season wins over the Chiefs and Panthers.

Wolf

100% Texan
Yeah, I'll do McClain's job for him. His takes are boring, he's prone to hyperbole and the Chronicle's coverage of the Texans is about as competent as Mario William's knack for getting to the quarterback.

You forgot Anna (only picture I know)

I am not dissing on Anna, just saying you got to have a sidekick

Brandon420tx

Flounder
:joker: Damnit!, everyone is stealing my Kyle Shanahan to OC to be Kubiaks assistant bit ... or did I steal that from someone else... / :joker:

It makes sense though, you don't need 2 OCs on one team. You just need 1 person to call the plays, and one person to sit in the booth and tell you what the defense is doing (if you can't see that yourself)

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
It was wasn't a waste of time - you gave me a handy foil against which to spew my thoughts.

maddogmrb

Rookie
*sigh*

While this is true, ask yourself how would Schaub look after 4-5 years of this nonsense.

I'd bet that he wouldn't look much different than Carr did after getting beat down for so long. I think Schaub starts off with better skills than DC, but a QB can only take the lack of protection for so long. I'll give DC one thing, he was a tough dude to put up with it for so long.
Exactly, let's sit Matt for awhile and let him get his senses back before we totally Carrerrize him.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
I hope you're right, jerek.

And while I certainly admire your optimistic outlook, I'm afraid that I don't share it. I think we'll be lucky to win 3 out of the next 8 to at least match our record last year. JMO
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we will--I'm saying it's possible.

eriadoc

Texan-American
I don't know that the Colts belong in that group. Didn't they go to the AFC championship in the mid 90's (I'm too tired to look it up). How about the Saints and the Patriots of the 80's.

Ok fine I looked it up.. you wanna hear bad? From 77 to 94 they had ONE playoff year, 87.

We should start a thread about all of the miserable teams in the league just to make ourselves feel better. I don't know if its possible to be as bad as the Saints were to start their career. It definitely took perserverence and divine intervention... (knock on wood).

Mike
Well, the Pats actually crossed my mind, but they went to a Super Bowl in '85. They got embarrased by the Bears, but the Bears embarrased lots of teams back then.

Rex King

Waterboy
And so I did grade the Texans. Then I posted it here too. Everyone has their own opinions but my halfway point grade for the team is as follows.
Chester Pitts is having maybe his worst season since 2002.
Your comments and grades are very similar (though with more meat to them) to mine that I posted:

QB - B. Schaub has to quit throwing those picks in the red zone, but he's been better than expected after just 8 starts.

RB - F. At least Echemenedu gives us some hope.

TE - B+. Clutch catches and our main red zone threats, though some of their blocking could be better.

WRs - B+. Couldn't get open against a good Chargers secondary and were off in the first half against the Titans, but otherwise really stepped up in the absence of AJ and JJ.

OL - D-. An average, because I don't think the right side of Winston and Weary has been that bad. But Pitts may be having his worst season, and Salaam is showing that while a good backup, he is going to wear down as a starter. And we clearly miss McKinney.

D-line - C-. The front four HAVE been getting pressure on the QB, though not the sacks. But where they've been stinking it up lately has been against the run. The DTs are simply getting blown off the LOS.

LBs - C-. DeMeco's made some brilliant plays, but hasn't been as consistent against the run as most of last year. The others have been pretty anonymous and have been absolutely atrocious at blitzing.

DBs - F. An A for Dunta, but otherwise... I was going to say there isn't a another DB I'd want to keep next season, but Bennett is another kid showing some promise.

ST - B-. Great guns when Mathis and JJ were healthy, and Kris Brown has been money, but Pittman's first botched snap and the uncharacteristically poor kick and punt coverage bring the grade down. Stand-ins in the return game have also been less than stellar.

Coaching - C-. Some questionable playcalling in a couple of games, downright poor clock managment in a couple, and poor preparation/game planning in the last three. I'd agree we need a change in the D coordinator. There are still personnel issues on that side of the ball, but the overall talent has gotten better - we need to see some results.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Coaching - C-. Some questionable playcalling in a couple of games, downright poor clock managment in a couple, and poor preparation/game planning in the last three. I'd agree we need a change in the D coordinator. There are still personnel issues on that side of the ball, but the overall talent has gotten better - we need to see some results.

Clock mamgement has been horrid all season.

Ya Know we've started the last two games with the same dig play. I got five that says who ever the poor unfortunate WR that get his number called in Oakland gets lit up. What da ya think ? I mean if a knuckle dragger like me can figure it out...Ryan 's going to figgure it out.

Just wondering the body whoppin we put on Rivers if old al doesn't just trot out Jamarcus this week ? Couldn't have a safer game on the schedule.

I've been thinking that Matt's interceptions are equivalent to Carr's sacks. Is it possible we're looking at two different symptoms to the same o-line problem? When the o-line failed and the defense came after Carr, he'd run or take the sack. Matt, though, he sees those guys coming and he tries to zing one off to a passer. I'd be curious to know how many of his interceptions happened when he was hurried or forced out of the pocket.

spanrep

Practice Squad
Yes...clock management has been awful....just adds to the frustrations of the various parts of our game that fall apart sometimes...

eriadoc

Texan-American
I've been thinking that Matt's interceptions are equivalent to Carr's sacks. Is it possible we're looking at two different symptoms to the same o-line problem? When the o-line failed and the defense came after Carr, he'd run or take the sack. Matt, though, he sees those guys coming and he tries to zing one off to a passer. I'd be curious to know how many of his interceptions happened when he was hurried or forced out of the pocket.
Well, we're still getting a bit too many batted/tipped passes, despite Matt's overhand delivery and 6'5" frame.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
QB. B+.- Matt Schaub has proven to be a competent quarterback. He doesn’t throw as well on the run a he does in the pocket. He does have the feet and the clock in his head to avoid disasters in the pocket. What remains to be seen is whether he is tough enough to with stand the assault he will be subjected to the rest of the season.

Rbs. – D. No getting around it. The thirty something running back we brought in is hurt. It was just a little helmet bump to the knee. But that little bump was disastrous. Ron Dyane is a shell of a power back. And there is nothing proven on the bench to help. Seeing how there are no holes, I doubt a front line back would of helped this season. Doesn’t help though that Dyane searches for earth worms on his way to the line of scrimmage. Vonta Leech is a plus. But not enough of one to elevate this groups grade.

Recievers/TEs. – A- . The strength of the team. We are solid at WRs 2-5. Owen Daniels is a top flight TE. Putzier is a forgotten man and has made a couple of errors. Fact is he is not getting enough targets. Water is a top flight #2 and will keep J.J. at the slot -PR position. J.J. is still suffering from NFL shock form the injury. I’m not going to be surprised if the shoulder is separated to the point that he will need surgery in the off season. He is playing hurt or scared. David Anderson has made some errors but he has more than made up for them with his clutch plays. Andre Davis has proven to be a very nice find and will, if he can get through the rest of the season without a major injury, be a big plus in rotation next year. Is A.J. coming back or is he not coming back ? I have no proof but I’m smelling another Wong injury.

O-Line. - D- . Only Erick Winston is playing well. The guards are plodding . They are weak at the point of attack and they neither move the pile nor do they seal the lanes. They do not execute blocks in open space. They are so bad in open space, they cannot call a screen pass with any faith. The screen pass should be a staple of this offense. They only attempted three of them in the San Diego game. All three were disasters. There is not one front line starter currently who would be starting for another NFL club.
Salaam is hanging in there. The proof in that pudding will be how many QBs we have left standing by the end of the season.
Steve McKinney must be a NFL Gaud. If we aren’t rebuilding this unit this off season, something is terribly wrong.

D-line- B- . They are collapsing the pocket and playing the run very well. Ombi Okoye and Mario Williams both have 4 sacks a piece at the mid way point. I like there progress and believe they will get better every game. N.D Kalu has had some pressures. Where is Shanta Orr ?

LBs . C- . There is no getting around it. After three seasons of seeing it, we have no linebackers on the roster who can get there on the Blitz. And that is why an offensive coordinator can call a double move pass pattern with impunity in a two minute drill and have no fear that his QB will be molested. Get use to it. They are great on rushing plays . But you take your chances when you’re going up against a top flight TE or a scat back with receiving skills.

DB . – F. I stand to humbly disagree with this coaching staffs assessments of the starting free safty and the Number 2 corner back.

Special teams. - B.
Only Garo Yupremian looked worse on a busted kick play than Turk did last week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_VII

Miami's quest for a perfect season was jeopardized when Redskins cornerback Mike Bass grabbed Dolphins kicker Garo Yepremian's fumble and returned it 49 yards for a touchdown. Indeed, it was the longest period in a Super Bowl to date for one team to be shut out, as Washington was held scoreless until 2:07 remained in the fourth quarter.
TBS, Turk has been spot on with his punting. But the dude needs some major gym time. Brown has been all pro on his field goals and is much improved from last year. We have gunners, guys who chase the punt on the punt team. Whoever the guys are who block the gunners on the punt return team, they need to return a portion of their check back to Mr. McNair. They are stealing from him.
Kick off tackling is spoty at best. Kick off blocking isn’t much better.

Coaching- Inc.

The fact of the matter is this head coach is still learning. I think he is dead wrong for sticking with Petey Faggins and the grey beard at center. I understand what he is attempting to do. He is stubborn and he hasn’t given up on the season yet. He still envisions a great come back with a run of several wins. Gotta love that. However, you don’t let your team stand around while your 48 million dollar QB is getting ear holed by a second tiered punk. That’s on Kubiack. That’s attitude and that comes straight from the head coach. Clock management has been god awful all season. Someone needs to be in charge of the clock. Because it is clear, beyond doubt, that Kubiak can not do that and manage the play calls also.

He is stubborn . And in a fox hole down to your last few bullets that’s a good thing. But some things, you’re just making the dung pile higher. At some point you gotta step back and figure something stinks and you stop shoveling