Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #41
Ckw

Default Re: Time for Martyball or CowherPower. We need a tough blue collar attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
We have spent the last six seasons picking high round draft picks and you are telling me that this team still has no talent?
Sadly, yes. In the all of our drafts we have come out with a pretty short list of good picks: AJ, DROB, Demeco, OD, and maybe a few others.

Quote:
You know why Fisher has all those things? B/C he makes them so. None of those players, not one, could go onto another team and do what they do. You don't lose two hall of fame lineman in five years and keep plugging away like nothing happens unless you are a fantastic caoch.
Yes he is a fantastic coach. Maybe better than Kubiak will ever be. But to compare Kubiak to one of the greatest coaches alive is asinine. But to say that Chris Brown or Lendale White wouldn't do anything on another team is questionable.

Quote:
The Browns! We have more talent than the Browns and they are playing better.
Yes they are better. Joe Jurevicius, Braylon Edwards, Kellen Winslow, Joe Thomas, Kevin Shaffer, LeCharles Bentley (when he comes back), Jamal Lewis, Orpheus Roye, Andra Davis, Kamerion Wimbley, D'Qwell Jackson, Willie McGinest, Sean Jones,etc. Yes overall, they are a better football team except they have no QB.

Quote:
I don't even get that last statement. So what you are saying is that you are hanging with Kubiak so you can say "I told you so" instead of giving an honest evaluation of the team. How many times is Kubiak going to come out to each of his pressers and all but say "I suck as a head coach" before we start to listen?
No, I'm hanging with Kubiak because I believe he is a good coach and has already made strides with a terrible team. We have a serious lack of talent and have a long way to go. I really should not have even put the last statement in. It was more of just a rant. Yes, it is quite irritating to hear Kubiak continue saying "The loss is on me." I'm as sick of it as anybody. But what else is he supposed to say? "Man, the team sucked! These guys can't play worth crap." Or "These guys couldn't execute if their lives depended on it." I feel he's taking the high road.

Quote:
2005 was the 2-14 season. Its now 2007 and still playing like 2005.

This is a fluff schedule and we are getting hammered each week.

Kubiak is not the guy. Don't fall in love with players or coach's. Look at the state of your team and give an honest evaluation and admit to yourself what needs to be done so we are not the Cardinals of the AFC.
When we had our players in, did we look like the 2005 Texans? When we had a center who could run block AND pass protect, did we look like the 2005 Texans?
Old 10-29-2007   #42
Ckw

Default Re: Time for Martyball or CowherPower. We need a tough blue collar attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
You still have to get it into that thing called an End Zone.

Your explosive offensive weapon is not supposed to be your kicker.
I'm changing what I originally wrote because much of our scoring has been off of field goals which is ticking me off. So I agree with you here.
Old 10-29-2007   #43
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
And we're 10th in the league in scoring offense!!! Do you even read?
read this

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #44
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
gotta love what garbage time can do for your stats. I haven't seen a team coached this bad since Hugh Campbell was coaching the Oilers and looking confused the entire time. It's really MUCH worse on the defensive side of the ball...but the offense doesn't look like they are ready to deal with NFL defenses at all lately. I think Hugh always looked at his feet during pressers too.
Totally agree. Lately, we have looked confused. And honestly, I'd be confused too if I was Kubiak. I'd be confused over what to do with a team with the lack of depth Kubiak is dealing with right now.
Old 10-29-2007   #45
Ckw

Quote:
You responded too quick for me to change my response. Our red zone offense has sucked, no doubt. We have not gotten into the end zone and that is a problem. My problem with you guys is wait until we get a semblance of a team before calling for the guy's head. When we had a team, we had results. And that included getting in the red zone against some good defenses.
Old 10-29-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You responded too quick for me to change my response. Our red zone offense has sucked, no doubt. We have not gotten into the end zone and that is a problem. My problem with you guys is wait until we get a semblance of a team before calling for the guy's head. When we had a team, we had results. And that included getting in the red zone against some good defenses.
Kubiak has coached this team for 24 games now. We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent". I'm serious when I say that I haven't seen coaching this bad since we saw the overmatched Hugh Campbell look dazed and confused on the Oiler sideline.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #47
Ckw

Quote:
Kubiak has coached this team for 24 games now. We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent". I'm serious when I say that I haven't seen coaching this bad since we saw the overmatched Hugh Campbell look dazed and confused on the Oiler sideline.
Well I guess everything is in the eye of the beholder, because I certainly find it a giant stretch to say we are no better. I just think what we are seeing and finally having to acknowledge is that we will never win without a line. We might be able to do it for a few games, but you can't go a full season with a patch work line. What's been the big difference between week 2 and week 8? Same coach, very different results.
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2007   #48
Ckw

Quote:
We are no better than when we started despite having "more talent".
And by more talent do you mean more depth? Because if that's what you're saying I have to disagree. When our starters are on the field and doing their jobs, yes we have more talent. Throw in the injuries and get our second stringers on the field and I see the same ole Texans.
Old 10-29-2007   #49
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

This situation is even worse than the Hugh Campbell era Oilers (uhh thanks for bringing back those wonderful memories Vinny). Back then, we at least had MIKE HOLOVAK picking players (yes I remember Ladd was the GM but Mike was the personnel guy, if Mike is still alive and has brain activity he would be the best personnel guy the Texans could have despite being 100 years old). He used our top picks to stock a team loaded with talent and got guys in the later rounds to help as well. We didn't whiff on guys but got studs like Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak to anchor our line for more than a decade.

We have bad coaching and bad personnel decisions. All the Oilers needed was a good coach in Glanville to turn things around. Our situation is not nearly as good.
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #50
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

LET THE COWHER ERA BEGIN - by wd

someone on another thread said it best when they said, and I am paraphrasing, 'kubiak wasn't ready to be a head coach 5 years ago and I am not sure he is ready even now'...i gotta agree

McNair needs to stop being skimpy on head coaches and make Cowher the highest paid HC in NFL history...just GET IT DONE. Cowher would give us proven HC experience and the ability to win with the players he is given. He managed a program that was constantly losing players and you know he would do wonders with our drafting. I also think he would be willing to work with a guy like Rick Smith who has done a pretty good job to date. Green hasn't worked out but we knew injuries were a possibility. it was a gamble that hasnt paid off and looks less likely to do so as the season progresses.

I tried to give Kubiak some time but its obvious he just gets outcoached on a weekly basis. not necessarily always him, but his coaches and himself get outcoached weekly....journeyman QBs become Unitas and losing teams look like contenders when we face us...that is Coaching. this isn't college football where recruiting matters or stuff like that. Coaching is the MOST important thing in the NFL. When you try and nickle and dime it, you get burned. Kubiak wasn't the best guy for the job when he was hired, he was just one that was willing to work with DC and had the sentimental hometown link. This isn't a popularity contest. He isn't running for mayor. Bottom line. Can he coach and does he have lots of friends who can coach that will come work for him? Cowher trumps Kubiak in that department.

oh and when you look in the camera and say that Mario is playing fine and that you are happy with his work, then you are also a bad head coach. You have to be willing to bench a guy or at least rip him a new one where you may not hear it in the media but you would hear about it in the media after the smoke clears. Mario. Greenwood. Weaver. Everyone. All MIA.

I'll do the right thing as a fan and stick by Schaub as he is just a rookie as a starter and QB is the toughest position to play especially when you have little to no running game post-McKinney and lost your #1 guy. Its not an excuse for his mental mistakes but you can't really judge him yet. richard smith was our 5th choice as DC to begin with and its obvious why that was the case...the guy just sucks. he needs to go....there is talent. it has to be used and if its not playing up to its ability, it must be benched and give hungry guys a chance and let the 'stars' get hungry.

OT - but Dunta should be in the Pro Bowl with how well he is playing this year. Yeah you could argue he cost us the game last week but that would be a bit harsh. He has shown so much heart and skill. We need to get him some freaking help back there. I absolutely love the guy and his heart.

it's obvious we may need a more fiery and demonstrative coach because with our lack of veteran leadership and winning attitude we will never get anywhere. The fact that Smith still has a job is just puzzling. We have NEVER gotten a pash rush against anyone. We have been relatively injury free on our DL as well. No excuses, other teams get a pass rush even if they have to send the kitchen sink at them, but we get no pass rush and we have sense of urgency on either side of the ball.

KUBIAK MUST GO

Best Case Scenario: A&M fires Fran and lures Kubiak from Texans. Texans then hire Cowher, he brings Dick LeBeau out of Pittsurgh, and we sign Alan Faneca, one of his former players. And don't give me this 3-4 or 4-3 garbage. We have players that can play both ways and some would say that Mario (which is where practically all of our $$ is at) may be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. Lord knows he is a crappy 4-3 DE.
Old 10-29-2007   #51
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me a break Ckw, we are lucky not to be 0 for our last 6 games. Yeah, there is defeintely a lot of improvement going on here. In the NFL, you measure improvement with your W-L record not how hard you try or how much of a good person you are. Our team is so soft they deserve to be fed orange slices and juice boxes at the end of games and be taken to Cici's to celebrate even after getting embarrassed
Old 10-29-2007   #52
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
haha. Pardee had some moments of just awkward befuddledment too. Ed Biles too. glad your on board with the whole 'horrible coaching' argument. I am worried that McNair is going to Care Bear this whole scenario like he did with Carr. Kubiak will be back and then the following year no good head coaches will be available like there are presently.

Cowher or Marty would be huge for us. Marty would have a HUGE axe to grind and has lines of people wanting to work for him. Cowher brings the whole Cowher mystique, the ability to coach players up and put them in positions to succeed, and of course the possiblity of him bringing Faneca and LeBeau with him.....omg that would insane if we could pull that off.....and the fact is THERE IS NOTHING STOPPING McNAIR FROM DOING SO.

sorry bout the caps but I am a bit peeved today.....
Old 10-29-2007   #53
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
Give me a break Ckw, we are lucky not to be 0 for our last 6 games. Yeah, there is defeintely a lot of improvement going on here. In the NFL, you measure improvement with your W-L record not how hard you try or how much of a good person you are. Our team is so soft they deserve to be fed orange slices and juice boxes at the end of games and be taken to Cici's to celebrate even after getting embarrassed
that is some great stuff.....oh and its true
Old 10-29-2007   #54
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I'm hanging with Kubiak because I believe he is a good coach and has already made strides with a terrible team. We have a serious lack of talent and have a long way to go. I really should not have even put the last statement in. It was more of just a rant. Yes, it is quite irritating to hear Kubiak continue saying "The loss is on me." I'm as sick of it as anybody. But what else is he supposed to say? "Man, the team sucked! These guys can't play worth crap." Or "These guys couldn't execute if their lives depended on it." I feel he's taking the high road.
Does Kubiak have nothing to do with the players that are chosen to play on this team??? To think that is rediculous. He has had ALOT of money to work with and two drafts and has come up with obviously not enough.

It's so great to watch Kubiak take the high road and say the games are on him...why hold player's accountable? He clearly means "My players suck" when he says "this is my fault", huh?

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-29-2007 at 02:53 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #55
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

All the Oilers needed was a good coach in Glanville to turn things around.
I am reading the words but they don't make since.

Peanut-butter banana sandwich anyone?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #56
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And by more talent do you mean more depth? Because if that's what you're saying I have to disagree. When our starters are on the field and doing their jobs, yes we have more talent. Throw in the injuries and get our second stringers on the field and I see the same ole Texans.
Great so all of our starters just have to not get injured. We must avoid any and all injuries. You don't need quality backups in football, nobody ever gets injured. Why would a coach try and get quality backups??? What ***** would do that? I hope Faggins doesn't get injured...the guy is just such a valuable player. God forbid our rookie cornerback comes in and doesn't get beat on every passing play.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #57
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This situation is even worse than the Hugh Campbell era Oilers (uhh thanks for bringing back those wonderful memories Vinny). Back then, we at least had MIKE HOLOVAK picking players (yes I remember Ladd was the GM but Mike was the personnel guy, if Mike is still alive and has brain activity he would be the best personnel guy the Texans could have despite being 100 years old). He used our top picks to stock a team loaded with talent and got guys in the later rounds to help as well. We didn't whiff on guys but got studs like Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak to anchor our line for more than a decade.

We have bad coaching and bad personnel decisions. All the Oilers needed was a good coach in Glanville to turn things around. Our situation is not nearly as good.
ok...ok...i was right alongside with you until the Glanville comment....i may have vomited in my mouth a tad..

that being said, Glanville did have his team ready to play most Sundays and they showed a lot of courage and fight. Something that can't be said for our current coaching staff. Oh and he was willing to take some risks too and wasn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers or call a player out for subpar performances. Remember his whole 'NFL stands for Not For Long' quote from NFL Films footage....
Old 10-29-2007   #58
TexansFight
All Pro

Cowher here would be perfect. Houston is a blue collar town and we can relate to a guy like Cowher. What he brings is what our fans desperately crave. McNair to me embodies the worst of the lame corporate ethos that has infested this city and represented by scumbags like Lay, Skilling, Fastow, and the rest of the Enron criminals.

Bud was a jerk, but he at least was colorful, hired colorful people, was not an ***** and realized the benefits of picking a legend from Texas. His litmus test in selecting a coach that would keep Carr was mind boggling.
Old 10-29-2007   #59
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Bud was a jerk, but he at least was colorful, hired colorful people, was not an ***** and realized the benefits of picking a legend from Texas. His litmus test in selecting a coach that would keep Carr was mind boggling.
I draw the line at reflecting on Bud in a positive light.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #60
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's get Jimmy Johnson here too.

Oh wait, he wanted nothing to do with coaching here.

Let's talk about the litany of coaches who aren't likely to come to Houston.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read