Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Texans are who we thought they were

The year is 200x. The month is November. The Texans are in the cellar of the AFC South. The fans start looking forward to the NFL draft. A top pick will surely improve this franchise and give us another playmaker on either offense or defense.

Fastforward a few months. The Texans use some high picks to bring in some highly regarded talent. Many fans argue about who we should have taken, but the general feeling is excitement. The pieces start to come together.

Another month brings some new free agent names. There are a lot of big names out there on both sides of the ball. The Texans dont look around much and bring in a few role players. Some people complain, but others explain that what we need is stability and manageable contracts. People start to get excited again.

Next is the start of training camps. We look awesome. Fans start talking. "Could we go 8-8 this year?" "Maybe we have a chance at the playoffs" "The Titans look bad and the Jags have lost a step"

Preseason roles around and our team looks fantastic. The starters shine, and some of the new rookie draft picks and free agent acquisitions make key contributions. They play hard. They play to win. The attitude in Houston is a good one.

Does this sound familiar? Thats because this happens every year. Every year the Texans end up with a decently high draft pick, make just enough moves in the draft and free agency to do something noticeable, make seemingly huge progress in the preseason, and then find a way to let us down in the regular season.

We have no safeties with coverage ability
We have no 1,000 yard running back
Our offensive line is still below average
Our second corner gets burned regularly
Our front four can't stop the run
Our front four can't rush the passer consistently

We all knew this coming into the season. Every single one of us. So why is this so crappy?

Because the team finds a way to bring our hopes up. They have great drafts, they have great preseasons, they sometimes even have great starts. 6 weeks ago (has it been that long already?) we were 2-0. I thought we were in a for an awesome year. Then we came screaching back to reality.

What is it about this team? Why does it seem like everyone in the entire organization, coaches to players, regresses after a few losses. Are the players and coaches such losers that once we start losing, bringing the wagon to a halt is impossible?

I can't believe we lost to Atlanta. And then we almost lost to Miami. And then we got blown out by the Jags and Titans (I know it was close at the end, but 95% of this game was a blowout) and Chargers.

I want this team to succeed so bad it drives me crazy. No matter how badly they lose, I always seem to find myself in front of the tv for another 3 hour torture session. I dont even know what to expect in Oakland next Sunday. Will we win? I hope so. This franchise needs it.

I never got why people were so upset when fans were hoping to lose in order to get the 1st pick in the 2006 draft. Now I understand. Losing breeds losing. And right now, the Texans are losers. This franchise desperately needs to win.
Old 10-29-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Texans are who we thought they were

Seeems like gtex is usually the first one to hit the panic button each week, but I can't argue with a single word in the original post.

Yesterday's performance was absolutely pathetic. I've been in the 8-8 crowd since last December, but these guys give me no reason to think that's a possibilty now.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

It's going to be a frustrating season.

Part of the problem the Texans have are those drafts and offseasons. Are they really that good? I remember when people were excited because we got Black and Flanagan. Then reality sets in that nothing has really been done to the line. The Texans put small money free-agenting their line, and even when they have put big money into free-agenting the line - it's never really worked, from Boselli onward.

My hope is that now that the Texans have big money coming, they can add some top-notch free agent talent to the defensive secondary. Then draft high talent on their o-line. The Texans have not successfully built from the trenches on the offensive side of the ball. When they can do that, the offense will explode.

And I think this year is different. Matt is learning the system and correcting his mistakes. I think that for any team, having your star running back and wide receiver out will be huge hits. Once Matt has had some time to rest, maybe get an offseason in him, things will be much different. This team could go 6-10 to 10-6 with a few personnel changes.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #4
inschaubwetrust
Doh!

Send a message via AIM to inschaubwetrust

The reality of the matter is that our team is not at a competitive level, as Kubiak said at the beginning of the season. He said it would take some time, and I am willing to wait a year or two to see where it goes. Anyone who was really expecting the play offs this season was a fool.

Vince Young sucks.
inschaubwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #5
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm sticking to my 6-10 prediction, though I'm being told I may have overshot...
Old 10-29-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cDAq5tyfk9E

This is going to be a long season.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #7
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not hitting the panic button, IM just saying this team has a losing attitude. DRob said it best. Not everyone plays with fire.
Old 10-29-2007   #8
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

I will reserve judgment on Kubiak and Smith until the end of the 2008 season. Casserly really messed things up personnel and salary cap wise, and both our GM and coach have been playing from behind when it comes to getting free agents in here with free agent money. Based on a lot of what I read, I believe, this is the last year the Texans are in the Casserly cap hell, and we have over 20+ million in cap space coming off the books which will make the Texans a lot more competitive in free agency. If they sit back and do nothing in the 2008 offseason and don't do well in the draft, then I may turn on Smith and Kubiak, however, at this point I think it is too early to jump ship given the screwed up deck of cards these guys were given.

That said, Kubiak needs to show me something with preparing these guys not to make the same stupid mental mistakes week after week. If he can't do that I may turn on him a little bit sooner than 2008; however, I do like the young core of players that on the roster.

Given the young guys another year to mature, Schaub in his 2nd year as the starter, a healthy AJ, a healthy McKinney and Spencer, and whoever we get in the draft as well as free agency with our new money, 2008 has always been the year I expected this team to make the leap. It would be nice to see it sooner, however, outside of the past two weeks, I have been much happier watching this team than in year's past because I believe we atleast have a chance every week... I said 7-9 before the season, I will stick to that...
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Im not hitting the panic button, IM just saying this team has a losing attitude. DRob said it best. Not everyone plays with fire.
Attitude is a big thing. I want to add to it, though, cause I think we have a lot of "team" guys full of "leadership" potential. A lot of these guys were brought in to fix the locker room. They need to step up. Or we need to raise the on-field expectations; not just the locker room expectations.
Old 10-29-2007   #10
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Seeems like gtex is usually the first one to hit the panic button each week, but I can't argue with a single word in the original post.

Yesterday's performance was absolutely pathetic. I've been in the 8-8 crowd since last December, but these guys give me no reason to think that's a possibilty now.
I can't argue either. I've been trying to get my family and girlfriend into our team and become fans and the piss poor play they've produced the past three weeks isn't helping. To be honest, it's starting to take a toll on me too. I will still stand by the Texans but they make it real hard to be able to walk out in public with a jersey on and keep my head up.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #11
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll see your "Attitude" and raise you "Depth"!!

We looked good in weeks 1 & 2 for a simple reason - we were healthy. The Chiefs are currently leading their division, they aren't a pushover...though they may be slow starters.

This team doesn't have the depth to overcome a couple of injuries to solid roleplayers, much less a starter, and even moreso a CRITICAL starter.

What were we missing in San Diego?
Andre Johnson - Pro Bowl receiver
Ahman Green - Starting Running Back
Matt Schaub - Starting Quarterback - questionable coming in, didn't look really sharp, knocked out again.
Steve McKinney - Starting Center
Jerome Mathis - Pro Bowl KR return man
Glenn Earl - Starting Safety

Combine these injuries with no legitimate LT, CB (2nd), FS and you get the product we saw on the field Sunday.

The coaching / playcalling / scheming is an issue as well, but it all begins with the players you put on the field.
Old 10-29-2007   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 27214 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I'm sticking to my 6-10 prediction, though I'm being told I may have overshot...
: )

you may have.

Last edited by powerfuldragon; 10-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.
powerfuldragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #13
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
I'll see your "Attitude" and raise you "Depth"!!

We looked good in weeks 1 & 2 for a simple reason - we were healthy. The Chiefs are currently leading their division, they aren't a pushover...though they may be slow starters.

This team doesn't have the depth to overcome a couple of injuries to solid roleplayers, much less a starter, and even moreso a CRITICAL starter.

What were we missing in San Diego?
Andre Johnson - Pro Bowl receiver
Ahman Green - Starting Running Back
Matt Schaub - Starting Quarterback - questionable coming in, didn't look really sharp, knocked out again.
Steve McKinney - Starting Center
Jerome Mathis - Pro Bowl KR return man
Glenn Earl - Starting Safety

Combine these injuries with no legitimate LT, CB (2nd), FS and you get the product we saw on the field Sunday.

The coaching / playcalling / scheming is an issue as well, but it all begins with the players you put on the field.
Lol...I literally forgot all about Glenn Earl. Just completely forgot about him.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #14
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 296273 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post

Speaking of overshooting, I guess my 8-8 prediction won't happen until next year. Maybe I was just thinking ahead.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #15
Ckw

Last edited by Ckw; 10-30-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read