Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Top Strange Texans Games

I didn't really expect the Texans to win this game given that they were outmatched at just about every position, but I certainly didn't expect the Pittman/Turk weirdness etc. (Will admit to being non-surprised by how blown the Gates coverage was).

Sometimes I think Texans fans are destined to see the all time strangest things ever seen on an NFL field. I thought for historical purposes it might be interesting to catalog them.

I would put this game on the strange list. A game where the announcers are saying to pull LT before he has even got 80 yards because it is so out of hand. It was such a gifted victory.

Charger Fire Loss 2007 Away.

What other inexplicable games belong on the list? I am thinking:

Texans-Titans 2007 Home. Bironas fest.
Texans-Titans 2006 Home. Vince's House
Texans-Raiders 2006 Away. They won that?
Texans-Rams 2005 Home. Quest for the Reggie Bush Pick, Not.
Texans-Steelers 2002 Away. Hurray for Touchdown Tommy Maddox.

What do you think needs to be added to the list? And in what order?

How many weird ways can you play a football game? I don't want to know the answer to that question.
Old 10-29-2007   #2
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Top Strange Texans Games

I guess the Bills - home - '06 - Evans two 83 yard TD's on what looked like the exact same play.

49ers game - never have I seen a FG attempt hook that far. Something smells fishy here.

Those are 2 I can think of off the top of my head.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #3
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

What about the year on the Reggie Bush quest and the Texans missed a close FG to win it at Tennessee?

Kris Brown put that ball in the women's restroom.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I guess the Bills - home - '06 - Evans two 83 yard TD's on what looked like the exact same play.

49ers game - never have I seen a FG attempt hook that far. Something smells fishy here.

Those are 2 I can think of off the top of my head.
Good call on the Evans deal. Should be exhibit A of why Richard Smith needs to be dumped on his head.

The few good defensive games the Texans have had in the Smith era have been against horrible offenses (like last year's Raiders game). And even against horrible offenses, they've looked horrible.

Niners game has to be on the list. Another Bush draft, not game.
Old 10-29-2007   #5
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Good commentary so far.

It's not a game, but the Travis Johnson/Derrick Johnson manuever still has me shaking my head.
Old 10-29-2007   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

The win over Pittsburgh where we got about 40 yards of offense was weird. We scored 24 points, all due to the defense.

The Oakland win last year was weird, just because you're not going to win many games with -7 yards passing.

The Rams game you mentioned a couple years ago was very weird, because the coaches put the calls on the QB in the first half and the team scored 4 TDs. Then, in the second half, the coaches took it back, and the team tanked. Weird.

A 29-point 4th quarter comeback failure was weird.

19-10 was weird, just because it was totally unexpected, and if not for a drop by Jermaine Lewis, could have been pretty lopsided.

That's just a few off the top of my head.
Old 10-29-2007   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that a special place should be made for the Redskins game last year where Mark Brunnell suddenly set a record for most consecutive pass completions despite being utterly incapable of playing QB at this level prior to and then following that game.

That, combined with "He who sall not be named" tying the same record a short time later just took it beyond weird.

It was almost like we set out to complete more passes than Brunnell to erase the defenses previous lousy performance regardless of whether the passes mattered or were for any significant gain.
Old 10-29-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think that a special place should be made for the Redskins game last year where Mark Brunnell suddenly set a record for most consecutive pass completions despite being utterly incapable of playing QB at this level prior to and then following that game.

That, combined with "He who sall not be named" tying the same record a short time later just took it beyond weird.

It was almost like we set out to complete more passes than Brunnell to erase the defenses previous lousy performance regardless of whether the passes mattered or were for any significant gain.

The Brunnell game is a great illustration of weird. It was a last hurrah of sorts for him and an illustration of how any smart QB, even with eroding skills and a statue-like pocket presence can carve up the Texans defense.

The Buffalo game where Ocho Viejo tied the same record was an illustration of how the Texans offense couldn't have the run and pass working together. Against a tragically bad rush defense, the Texans put up tons of yards in the first half rushing. Then in the second half, they do that let's only pass the ball thing.
Old 10-29-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet the Bengals fans of the 90's and the early century Lions and Cardinals fans have all had this thread in their forums.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #10
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

2004 San Diego at Reliant
The game that the lights went out.

Playing in "Reliant" and against the "Chargers".

2003 New England at Reliant

Good game and seems like we blocked Adam Vinatieri's FG.My memory is fading on this game but we had Banks as the QB and we almost upset the eventual SB Champs that won the SB at Reliant.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #11
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

In 2003, the year when we basically had the Pats and Titans beat; remember that? But both times the defense melted down at the last minute giving up a tying touchdown on 4th down to the Pats who won it in OT (after the Texans had it in FG range but Capers our someone thought a sweep on third down would be a good idea netting a 3 yard loss). We had to punt to basically keep them from being in FG range incase Brown missed. There was also a blocked FG by Houston in the OT session.
Against the Titans, Carr actually brought the Texans from behind to take a four point lead late, only to have Marcus Coleman allow Drew Bennett get behind him with 7 seconds to go for the winning TD.

Last edited by mridge01; 10-29-2007 at 03:48 PM.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #12
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1035 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another wierd one. The Vikings OT game when the Texans scored 21 Fourth quarter points to force OT, but the Vikes won on a 50 something yard TD play in OT.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #13
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

The 2005 Pittsburgh "We're going to burn them in the black uni's home game."

Gah.

McKinney is talking about that game.

"We were sitting in the shade, being fed Gatorade, and you could see the heat coming off the fans...."
Old 11-06-2007   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Gah.

"We were sitting in the shade, being fed Gatorade, and you could see the heat coming off the fans...."
Only game in TEXANS home history I had to leave early, or die! BAD, BAD memory!!!

This year, last game, 10 yd punt!!! Don't think I have ever seen that in all my 50+ years of watching football!! Compeltely weird, to me!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Gah.

I'm still missing a little chunk of skin from the back of my leg, that had melted to my seat that day...
Old 11-06-2007   #16
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

2003 Home game against the Falcons. Both back up QB's playing Tony Banks and somebody for the Falcons.

Banks broke his finger at the end of the first half, back up QB for Atlanta also hurt. Carr and Vick both ended up coming in. Texans went on to win 17-13. My first ever Texans game in person, got on the Jumbo Tron 3 times and on the TV once, recorded the game on the VCR and still have the tape.

Who was the backup for Atlanta then? I am trying to find it.
Old 11-06-2007   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
2003 Home game against the Falcons. Both back up QB's playing Tony Banks and somebody for the Falcons.

Banks broke his finger at the end of the first half, back up QB for Atlanta also hurt. Carr and Vick both ended up coming in. Texans went on to win 17-13. My first ever Texans game in person, got on the Jumbo Tron 3 times and on the TV once, recorded the game on the VCR and still have the tape.

Who was the backup for Atlanta then? I am trying to find it.
Doug Johnson

Quote:
Vick relieved Doug Johnson, who started eight times in Vick's absence. Johnson was 12-of-27 for 116 yards and an interception that cost the Falcons (2-10), who have lost three straight and 10 of 11.
Old 11-06-2007   #18
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Top Strange Texans Games

Don't mess with Bill's knowledge of back up QB's
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Doug Johnson
Thanks, I just found it and went to post it.....but man your quick.
Old 11-06-2007   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

The first ones I thought of were the St Louis and the Minnesota games. After thinking about it I should of thought about the "Bironas Fest" as I was at that game and stayed til the end.

Afterwards, me and the people around me were all looking at each other in complete disbelief.....just speechless.

And how about the Sunday night game against the Packers, nothing really weird, just another loss to a last second field goal, this time by Longwell...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read