Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #1
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected
Default We May Have Found Our Center

I like the idea of getting Schaub out of there before he got killed any worse.
Over the last few weeks I kept saying to myself "can the loss of McKinney make THAT big of a difference? The answer is no. It wasn't the loss of McKinney, it was the insertion of Flannigan.

They pulled Flannigan at the same time as Schaub and Chris White went in (he also went in in the 4th last week). Immediately, the line got better. IMMEDIATELY. The throwing lanes opened up because White was pushing his man off the line. The running lanes opened up as well allowing even Dayne to make some plays. Joe looked good as well but the key to all of that was White. every time there was a run for positive yardage when the runner got up the first linemen you'd see enter the frame was Chris White because he had pushed his man down field. I watched him take on two guys on one pass play and he got pushed backwards but stood his ground and bought enough time for Sage to check down. I never saw him on his back, I never saw him 7 yards in the backfield after the play on his hands and knees. (When I think of Flannigan, that's how I envision him).

I know there is alot to be down about but This is one positive in it all. He doesn't look undersized to me. He looks like our starting center next week.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: We May Have Found Our Center

Agreed. Chris may be the future at Center, with McKinney at backup. The Flanagasaurus should put up his cleats soon.
Old 10-28-2007   #3
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7786 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I couldn't get over the lanes! I mean something happens when that position takes up space instead of being pushed back. these lanes are created either between the guards and the tackles or between the center and the guards. and that gets in the way of the linebackers so the QB has lanes to look for receivers as well as runners able to make some choices at the line of scrimmage. He really looked terrific i thought.
Old 10-28-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is music to my ears. I wish I would have noticed but couldn't really read the players names through all my tears.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #5
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
This is music to my ears. I wish I would have noticed but couldn't really read the players names through all my tears.
I had a similar problem, except "tears" with "vomit". By the way, Itchyfullmantu looked great!
Old 10-28-2007   #6
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope to see more of Echemandu and White next week.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #7
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
I hope to see more of Echemandu and White next week.
I'm stoked about Echemandu. I had some family issues pop up and I didn't get to see White go in. But I did get to see Echo play and he gave the running game a pulse. I'm hoping he'll be another "diamond in the rough" find by Smith.
Old 10-28-2007   #8
inschaubwetrust
Doh!

Send a message via AIM to inschaubwetrust

I didn't notice, I was too busy trying to force myself to look at the TV.

I've been calling for Flanigan's head for awhile, he is proving every week that he does not deserve to have a spot on this roster.

Vince Young sucks.

Last edited by inschaubwetrust; 10-29-2007 at 03:47 PM.
inschaubwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I sorta lost my focus to and didn't notice when White came in the game.
But if he looked good, that's encouraging.
The run blocking has fallen off with McKinneys absense, and it must have something to do with the fall-off in talent when Flanagan came in to replace
SM. Lets hope CW is in fact closer to what we had with McKinney.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #10
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected

I didnt notice either till Barrett broght it up and yes it was a big difference, I do hope he starts.
And I like the new rb, some say his nickname is Joe, he was a big surprise.
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I intentionally watched Chris White once he came in... He did fairly well, but more importantly it was an upgrade over Flanagan (although thats not necessarily a ringing endorsement).
Old 10-29-2007   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81710 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I couldn't get over the lanes! I mean something happens when that position takes up space instead of being pushed back. these lanes are created either between the guards and the tackles or between the center and the guards. and that gets in the way of the linebackers so the QB has lanes to look for receivers as well as runners able to make some choices at the line of scrimmage. He really looked terrific i thought.
I did not notice when White came in. But if you said that he came in together with Sage, that would be at the 2:31 mark in the second quarter. By then we were down 3-35.

We had gained 61 yard on the ground.
We did not run the ball again in the first half.
We gained 47 yard on the ground in the second half, probably with a few back-ups playing for the Chargers.

In the Titans game, I can't be sure, but it seems to me that White came in to replace Weary. I have the game film on my PC, but it's not very clear, sometimes I cannot see the number.
What I can make out is that #58 Flanagan was playing in the first half and he was wearing white gloves. And as I watched each series, I think the guy lining up at center always wore white gloves.
Does Chris wear gloves as well?

Last edited by 76Texan; 10-29-2007 at 10:14 AM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #13
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I intentionally watched Chris White once he came in... He did fairly well, but more importantly it was an upgrade over Flanagan (although thats not necessarily a ringing endorsement).
You are right, he did pretty good. I say sit Weary and throw Studdard in too. Have a passionate young o-line in there.

Also I don't think that Winston did all that bad against Merriman.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
You are right, he did pretty good. I say sit Weary and throw Studdard in too. Have a passionate young o-line in there.

Also I don't think that Winston did all that bad against Merriman.
Weary and Winston are probably the best we have at this point. Pitts is not having a good season. Maybe is has something to do with the Center, who knows?

I think Studdard is nicked up right now. If we were to give him a shot, I'd rather see him replace Pitts.
Old 10-29-2007   #15
barrett
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I did not notice when White came in. But if you said that he came in together with Sage, that would be at the 2:31 mark in the second quarter. By then we were down 3-35.

We had gained 61 yard on the ground.
We did not run the ball again in the first half.
We gained 47 yard on the ground in the second half, probably with a few back-ups playing for the Chargers.

In the Titans game, I can't be sure, but it seems to me that White came in to replace Weary. I have the game film on my PC, but it's not very clear, sometimes I cannot see the number.
What I can make out is that #58 Flanagan was playing in the first half and he was wearing white gloves. And as I watched each series, I think the guy lining up at center always wore white gloves.
Does Chris wear gloves as well?
Thanks for the accuracy check. He didn't come in with Sage exactly. He ended up replacing Flannigan after an injury but it was around the same time.
You're also right that he came in last week for Weary but it was the same result, he was pushing guys off the ball. I wasn't paying attention to the time or even the yards gained by the point he was put in against the Chargers but I was just watching the trenches and seeing him moving bodies and standing his ground throughout the rest of the game. He looked really good.
Old 10-29-2007   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

if White is better than Flanagan, than that is just another bad move by our coaching staff to stick with him when we had White as a viable alternative the whole time. Yeah, Flanny is more expensive but its obvious that he just can't get it done anymore. When we got him, I really thought we had solved our Center problems for at least 2-3 years. I was way off on that. Hopefully White can be the guy.
Old 10-29-2007   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
if White is better than Flanagan, than that is just another bad move by our coaching staff to stick with him when we had White as a viable alternative the whole time. Yeah, Flanny is more expensive but its obvious that he just can't get it done anymore. When we got him, I really thought we had solved our Center problems for at least 2-3 years. I was way off on that. Hopefully White can be the guy.
Flanigan is nothing but fat. I understand linemen are supposed to be beefy, but I just can't see anything that represents muscle. He has a fat torso with little tiny arms. Practically everytime I've watched him he's been beat or he wasn't a part of the play. I've seen him whiff on screens multiple times (you to Pitts). Another waste of money by Sherman. Has there been a player with Sherman ties actually look good? NO!

SH, I was wrong about Green having a career year this year if healthy. Even though he hasn't been healthy I still don't think he'd be doing much different if he was.

Kubiak, look at my signature. Do it now!! You're only hurting yourself!!
Old 10-30-2007   #18
barrett
Hall of Fame

i just listened to the monday press conference and as it turns out Flannigan did go out the same play that Schaub did. So Chris White was in for 3 quarters and 2+ minutes.... i sure hope they start him.

by the way, i don't think they screwed up by not starting him to this point. i heard a few reports where they mention that he was loosing weight and had taken a "step back" because of it. when i saw him out there he looked twice the size of Flannigan. So maybe it took a few weeks for him to put the weight on and bulk up and now he's ready to rock.
Old 10-30-2007   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
i just listened to the monday press conference and as it turns out Flannigan did go out the same play that Schaub did. So Chris White was in for 3 quarters and 2+ minutes.... i sure hope they start him.

by the way, i don't think they screwed up by not starting him to this point. i heard a few reports where they mention that he was loosing weight and had taken a "step back" because of it. when i saw him out there he looked twice the size of Flannigan. So maybe it took a few weeks for him to put the weight on and bulk up and now he's ready to rock.
I'm thinkin White is bigger if you're counting just muscle & bone mass.
But on strictly a contest of bulk - yea Flanagan is the bigger of the 2.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #20
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I thought White hasn't been playing because of an injury. Am I confusing him with someone else?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read