Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #21
inschaubwetrust
Doh!

Send a message via AIM to inschaubwetrust
Default Re: How would YOU fix the Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Heck of a first post! Welcome aboard the good ship anguish!
Thank you, good sir. Good to be here.

Vince Young sucks.
inschaubwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #22
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by inschaubwetrust View Post
I think there are a lot of things the team can do this year to help us move along.
I didn't want to quote your whole post for space reasons, but that was an excellent post. I am pretty much in agreement with everything you said.
Old 10-28-2007   #23
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
After another crappy season and markets in Texas running for VY territory, I don't think McNair wants the marque player of the future to be a freakin' lineman.
Why, he felt that way back in 2006.

Too bad he took the wrong one.

This team needs a legit longterm franchise LT and until we realize this and start spending some high draft picks to get this line fixed.........we will go NOWHERE, we will be stuck in a rut on the field and off of it also.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #24
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I don't think I understand this comment. What does he get done other than laughing in the bank line with his check in his hand?
The drafts he has supervised have been succesful on the whole.

He makes decisive moves to get the people that his coaches want e.g Schaub.

Acts to plug holes, e.g Demps, Boulware.

He isn't afraid to take a cap hit for future benefits, he moves FA's in and out the door looking for the diamond in the rough, or to pick their brain about the opponent.
Old 10-28-2007   #25
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
If you were Smith or Kubiak. How would YOU fix this football team? Would you fire all your assistants? Run a different defensive package? Get a mob of new receivers and do kind of a modified run and shoot? Revamp the west-coast offense? What would YOU do?
They have who they have untill next febuary. You can whine and moan all you want but that's the reality of it. You gotta figure anyone on the bench who offered a ray of hope at improvement would of already been out there. They are to the point they have nothing to loose. Save what for what ? We have a goose egg in the conference for wins. We ain't going to majically save the season with a run of wins.

There is nothing wrong with the recievers. Nor the passing attack. Considering they have an almost flat lined rushing attack, that is the one thing we should have a ray of hope in.

I didn't know and didn't post that A.J.'s little twisted knee was as severe as it was. I hinted at it. But it is obvious at this point we're nearing Tony Bosselli, Kalee Wong range with this injury. I'll tell you what they aren't telling you, they don't know when or if A.J. will be back. Furhter if it doesn't heal up the next few weeks he ought to go ahead with the operation and get on line now for the '08 season.

As far as all the gnashing of teeth about Mario and Richard Smith that's done in here the fact of the matter is they have now, the personel to switch to a 3-4 scheme that the Kansas City Chiefs used on their SB runs of the seventies. The don't have a Bobby Bell, but they could try to run it and see what happens. It is clear they cannot get pressure with four five or six in the four three. No one gets there. Outragous ? maybe but at this point what do you have to loose ? They aren't going anywhere this year.
Old 10-28-2007   #26
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Too bad Mario isn't the start for all our problems either. Not his fault we turn the ball over 11 times the last two games. Not his fault our running game stinks. Not his fault our secondary gets shredded no matter the QB.

The whole teams stinks right now and if Bush was on the team or any one else picked instead I seriously doubt we would be vastly improved.
Well you going to be the highest paid guy on the team who is not the local water walker gotta figure if you don't produce some of the fan are going to hook you up to the whipping post. They were wrong on DC being the only problem with the club. Just as they are wrong now calling Mario a bust. Once A.J. and Mckinney went down all the illusions by these knuckle draggers got exposed. They don't like it but that the way it is. Noticed two weeks ago St. Vincent took his first leg injury. Won't be long now. Reggie is still looking for the easist quickest way to the sidelines. We took the correct guy. The jury is still out on whether or not he will develope.
Old 10-28-2007   #27
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
Why, he felt that way back in 2006.

Too bad he took the wrong one.

This team needs a legit longterm franchise LT and until we realize this and start spending some high draft picks to get this line fixed.........we will go NOWHERE, we will be stuck in a rut on the field and off of it also.

If you are refering to D'Brickshaw Ferguson, he has been rather average thus far too. While I definately supporting building from the LT position, he doesn't exactly scream Walter Jones/Orlando Pace.

Really, the entire draft for what it was hyped for, has been poor. At this point, the draft has produced nothing more than some outstanding second round picks (Marcus McNeil, Devin Hester, Ryans).

Relax, Mario is only 22 years old. Our problems extend well beyond him and would even if he was playing at Reggie White's level.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2007   #28
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks01234 View Post
If you are refering to D'Brickshaw Ferguson, he has been rather average thus far too. While I definately supporting building from the LT position, he doesn't exactly scream Walter Jones/Orlando Pace.
I'd take an upgrade to average at the need position of LT over having another average at best defensive lineman. They have a few of those.
Old 10-28-2007   #29
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trade Andre Johnson to a division foe with a young QB who needs a go-to receiver....

But seriously I would go about fixing the rest of the o-line, drafting/signing a stud safety and drafting/signing a good running back.

I don't think a stud back is necessarily a need, Schaub's style is kind of an extension of the running game so if you can get someone consistent in there yall would be set.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #30
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

edit
Old 10-28-2007   #31
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
While he's not Walter Jones or Pace, he is a bright young LT who is doing his job in NY and will only improve as the years go on.

Quote:
Relax, Mario is only 22 years old. Our problems extend well beyond him and would even if he was playing at Reggie White's level.
First of all, ALOT of our problems on defense would be solved if he was playing at Reggie White's level......that statement is rediculous

Second, Mario Williams is not going to all of a sudden gain more explosiveness or strength and I really don't care how old he is, Amobi as a 20 year old has already shown more flashes than Mario has in 2 years. Even the sacks Mario has gotten this year were cheap sacks. (the 2 in KC and the one today) He constantly takes himself out of plays, shows absolutely ZERO pass rushing instincts, and I'm tired of watching him try to run around the outside shoulder of LTs........he's too stupid to realize the LTs in this league are now baiting him and letting him once again run himself out of another play. For once I just want to see him BLOW UP a LT and take down the QB.......that's what he was drafted to do.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson is atleast doing his job, I would trade Mario for him in a heartbeat.
Old 10-29-2007   #32
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

(a dreadlocked figure with a white beard decends from a mountain top [or falls off his highhorse] holding two stone tablets.)

Brothers and sisters! I bring a possible soloution to our problem! It worked for the Chicago Bears in 1985 and feel it could work for us. We bring in Iron Mike Ditka as the head coach and have him draft an offensive scheme. Secondly we treat our defense as a completely seperate entity and put it under the leadership...of Buddy Ryan! These two men hate one another, but because neither of these type A personalities wants to be out done by the other each will create a kick ass unit to spite the other.
We keep the two seperate from one another and watch our opponets drop like dominoes.

Of course the downside to this would be the fact that these two cats HATE each other and one would eventually wind up killing the other. We need Buddy Ryan running our defense. Hell at this point I'd settle for JERI Ryan running our defense. I mean come on she was 7 of 9 Trudiciary Adjunct to unimatirx 01. She can run a defense. She can't do any worse.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #33
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
No, but he is consuming a great deal of cap space and was the first overall pick in the freaking draft - he needs to step up and at least play like a typical 4th round DE draft pick.
Here's the thing about the DL. A CB can't cover a receiver forever, that's true. But when your DB's start most plays 7 or 8 yards off the ball, your DL doesn't have a chance. That's just how this game works. I think you could put Julius Peppers, Grady, Sapp and Freeny on this line and you wouldn't notice much more of a pass rush. Ok maybe that's an overstatement, but we've tried fixing the DL... Maybe its time to look at the DBs a little too.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #34
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91628 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
(a dreadlocked figure with a white beard decends from a mountain top [or falls off his highhorse] holding two stone tablets.)

Brothers and sisters! I bring a possible soloution to our problem! It worked for the Chicago Bears in 1985 and feel it could work for us. We bring in Iron Mike Ditka as the head coach and have him draft an offensive scheme. Secondly we treat our defense as a completely seperate entity and put it under the leadership...of Buddy Ryan! These two men hate one another, but because neither of these type A personalities wants to be out done by the other each will create a kick ass unit to spite the other.
We keep the two seperate from one another and watch our opponets drop like dominoes.

Of course the downside to this would be the fact that these two cats HATE each other and one would eventually wind up killing the other. We need Buddy Ryan running our defense. Hell at this point I'd settle for JERI Ryan running our defense. I mean come on she was 7 of 9 Trudiciary Adjunct to unimatirx 01. She can run a defense. She can't do any worse.
I say we just bring KG back and let him and Buddy go for round two.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #35
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

as far as players...
- start using a Green/Ech... combo at opposed to a green/dayne backfield

- Swap out Faggins for Bennett

- offseason look for a STAR free agent... pay big if you have to. show a commitment to building a winning team. Don't have to go Snyder or Jerrah on us, but one huge free agent signing would be nice.

- next 1st rd pick should be FS/RB/LT... the best of those 3.

as far as assistants
- swap out Dick for Bush... yeah, i said it, but you know what i mean

- I don't really know who calls the o-plays between Kubiak or Sherman, but but whoever it is should be swapped out for the other.

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #36
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd start firing some of these underwhelming veterans . Maybe that would light a fire under these guys .

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 10-29-2007 at 07:14 AM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #37
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
While he's not Walter Jones or Pace, he is a bright young LT who is doing his job in NY and will only improve as the years go on.

First of all, ALOT of our problems on defense would be solved if he was playing at Reggie White's level......that statement is rediculous

Second, Mario Williams is not going to all of a sudden gain more explosiveness or strength and I really don't care how old he is, Amobi as a 20 year old has already shown more flashes than Mario has in 2 years. Even the sacks Mario has gotten this year were cheap sacks. (the 2 in KC and the one today) He constantly takes himself out of plays, shows absolutely ZERO pass rushing instincts, and I'm tired of watching him try to run around the outside shoulder of LTs........he's too stupid to realize the LTs in this league are now baiting him and letting him once again run himself out of another play. For once I just want to see him BLOW UP a LT and take down the QB.......that's what he was drafted to do.

D'Brickshaw Ferguson is atleast doing his job, I would trade Mario for him in a heartbeat.

You must have missed Mario's sack against NY last year. His KC sacks weren't exactly cheap either. They weren't highlight reel plays but they were certainly solid plays.

Mario does take himself out of a lot of plays and he does need a lot of work. But the potential evident. He's currently fourth amongst AFC DE's in sacks, top 20 in the league and has the same or more sacks than Dwight Freeney, Jason Taylor and Julius Peppers. He's got a defensive TD to boot. Surely these all can't be just luck.

Ok maybe Reggie White was a bad example. But there isn't a single NFL DE that right now would be able to transform this situation. Not Peppers, not Freeney, not Taylor.

BTW, by one count D'Brick gave up 11 sacks last year. Face it, if we had selected him last year, plenty of people still wouldn't be happy.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #38
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Upgrade Frank Bush to defensive co-ordinator. Put Kyle Shanahan as OC and let Kubiak call the plays.
I agree with this.

We need new Coordinators on both sides.

Bush needs to be in charge of the defense, and lets see what Lil Shanny can do on offense.

We need an attitude adjustment and we need it now!
Old 10-29-2007   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Re: How would YOU fix the Texans?
Dr. Who's time machine.....

"With the first pick of the 2002 draft, the Houston Texans select:
from the University of North Carolina............. DE Julius Peppers."
Old 10-29-2007   #40
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Fire the Coordinators! Sooner rather than later. Why wait? Get the search started now. It's not like we're going to the playoffs.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read