Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128746 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How would YOU fix the Texans?

If you were Smith or Kubiak. How would YOU fix this football team? Would you fire all your assistants? Run a different defensive package? Get a mob of new receivers and do kind of a modified run and shoot? Revamp the west-coast offense? What would YOU do?
Dread-Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #2
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: How would YOU fix the Texans?

Fire Gary Kubiak i would send his Butt to College Station personally i would Hire Norm Chow. and try and cut my looses with Mario Williams and put him out on the market after the season hell we might get a third rounder for him.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Rick Smith, I feel he gets things done. I would keep him.

I think we have drafted well the last couple of years so I think our college scouting is solid so I would keep them too.

I think we need to decide whether Kubiak is a good coach, and if the answer is yes, give him the assurance he can build this team into his vision, otherwise can him yesterday and find someone we can give the keys for 5 years which is about how long it takes to turn a team in a new direction.

Personnel wise, we need to literally cut anyone who doesn't fit what we want to do, and build the personnel to fit our system, then stick with the system.

There are no quick fixes and when you are this deep in the hole, trying to bandaid things only make things worse in the long and short term.
Old 10-28-2007   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Kid nap the patriots team and slap a bull on there helmet.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 57809 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I like Rick Smith, I feel he gets things done. I would keep him.
I don't think I understand this comment. What does he get done other than laughing in the bank line with his check in his hand?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #6
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of our draft picks next year have to go to O-line and secondary.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #7
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87319 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I would use our 1st pick next year on a defensive end/workout warrior. That would fix all our problems.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2007   #8
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
I really doubt they are going to draft anyone that doesn't handle a football. After another crappy season and markets in Texas running for VY territory, I don't think McNair wants the marque player of the future to be a freakin' lineman.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #9
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
I would use our 1st pick next year on a defensive end/workout warrior. That would fix all our problems.
But make sure he was only mediocre in college first. He is bound to up his game against better talent.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, we need new cordinaters. Sherman needs to go. We need to realize that some players are not that good. We need a new attitude essientally. Our coaches have nothing to lose and everything to lose at the same time. I mean, they have no legit reason to not be aggressive, but if they fail, they should lose their jobs.
Old 10-28-2007   #11
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

3 things in the upcoming draft/free agency that are small, yet important, steps in the right direction:

1) explosive running back;
2) A LT (if Spencer doesn't rebound); and
3) a solid safety

I think Bennet will turn out to be a nice CB and Schaub will do fine if we can protect him and get AJ back.
Old 10-28-2007   #12
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spled View Post
No doubt. The first three picks (1st, 3rd and 4th) should be o-line, secondary, outside linebacker, in no particular order.

There is no excuse not to address the offensive line. It is essential, and way overdue. We need at least one good safety, and could really use a ball hawking outside linebacker with speed.

I also would not be against trading down with our 1st round pick and getting extra picks. Maybe an additional 3rd rounder. Honestly, this team needs so much, we need as many picks as possible.
Old 10-28-2007   #13
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Too bad Mario isn't the start for all our problems either. Not his fault we turn the ball over 11 times the last two games. Not his fault our running game stinks. Not his fault our secondary gets shredded no matter the QB.

The whole teams stinks right now and if Bush was on the team or any one else picked instead I seriously doubt we would be vastly improved.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #14
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Too bad Mario isn't the start for all our problems either. Not his fault we turn the ball over 11 times the last two games. Not his fault our running game stinks. Not his fault our secondary gets shredded no matter the QB.

The whole teams stinks right now and if Bush was on the team or any one else picked instead I seriously doubt we would be vastly improved.
No, but he is consuming a great deal of cap space and was the first overall pick in the freaking draft - he needs to step up and at least play like a typical 4th round DE draft pick.
Old 10-28-2007   #15
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Another thing that will help is we will start to come out of salary cap hell next year. I think Houstonprofootball.com has us having like 30-35 million below the cap next year. We can upgrade the roster fast with some high quality free agents.

But again, the o-line MUST be addressed. That cannot be stressed enough.
Old 10-28-2007   #16
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87319 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post

I agree that it's not all Mario's fault. But the fact remains that the Texans spent many years of 1st round draft picks on the DL and nothing has changed since day 1.

I also think the offense isn't looking that bad besides the massive amounts of turnovers. I don't know why we turn the damn ball over so much especially with Kubes preaching about winning the turnover battle as much as he does.

I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that we might not be competitive for a couple of years. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the fact that I have a Houston team to root for.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #17
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Honestly, we need new cordinaters. Sherman needs to go. We need to realize that some players are not that good. We need a new attitude essientally. Our coaches have nothing to lose and everything to lose at the same time. I mean, they have no legit reason to not be aggressive, but if they fail, they should lose their jobs.
Upgrade Frank Bush to defensive co-ordinator. Put Kyle Shanahan as OC and let Kubiak call the plays. (The purpose for this is Kubiak takes FULL control of the offense, and Kyle becomes his assistant).

1 quality FA on both sides of the ball, NOT 1 overpaid short-term solution or a bunch of "depth" guys. If you can't sign anyone save the cap space for next year, and look to the draft.

1st and 3rd round. LT, RB, or FS, any of those 2 combinations.
4th round another LT just in case, and so we can finally get rid of Salaam.

Move Zach Diles to WLB, hopefully we either re-sign Clark, or we use our quality FA acquisition on a SLB. Name Bennet our Starter at CB2.

Invest in extra padding for Schaub. Other then that, and the new O-line (and possible new RB) I don't know how to fix our offense...
Old 10-28-2007   #18
inschaubwetrust
Doh!

Send a message via AIM to inschaubwetrust

I think there are a lot of things the team can do this year to help us move along.

Let's start with the offensive line. We have two players that are simply not cutting it, Salaam and Flanagan. My plan would be to activate Studdard at RG and White at Center, and then move Pitts back to LT where he had his best seasons. This offensive line set up couldn't do any worse and probably gives Schaub the best chance to make something happen. Salaam is always letting Schaub/Rosenfels get blindsided and the fewest sacks allowed in team history was a year with Pitts at LT. Studdard needs the experience, Salaam needs off the roster, and Schaub needs the protection. I don't think I need to explain why Flanagan needs off the field, his mediocrity speaks for its self.

Next, the running back situation. If one good thing came out of week 8, it was the surprising perfomance of Joe Echemandu. If nothing else, I think he should be getting Dayne's share of the carries. I would really like to see him take the bulk of the carries in one of our upcoming games, seeing as how Ahman Green has yet to do anything that would justify his salary or the excitement that came with his signing. I am not saying that he should bump Green off for the top spot just yet, but I am definately saying that we should give him a start sometime this season...perhaps later when we are completely out of the playoff picture.

Finally, the general philosophy of our play calling. We have to face facts, we are horrible at conservative football. We don't run between the tackles well and relying on the short pass can be a disaterous mistake. We need to go down field more. Running up the middle and hook/slant/screen routes aren't going to hack it anymore. We have a quick slot reciever in Jacoby Jones who would be great on post patterns and a speed demon in Andre Davis who we should be sending down field on a constant basis. Kevin Walter is a also a great reciever, tall and sure handed. When Andre Johnson comes back (hopefully soon) we'll be able to take out Davis and have a real threat down the field. Also, I would like to see us get more creative. We have a very basic set of plays, so basic that the defense seems to know what we're running before the ball is snapped. We need something a little more intriguing.

On defense, more man-to-man. Said simply, we don't have the resources to play a good zone defense. Faggins is constanstly getting burned.

Onto next season:

First things first, fire Richard Smith. His defensive scheme has been a complete embarassment, it's simplistic and easily exploitable. I'm not sure who'll be on the table to replace him, but I would say that Smith's head is definately the first on the chopping block.

Next, I think our draft should depend on what we see in Echemandu. If it turns out that he can make it as a starting running back, I would say that we should invest our first round pick on one of two things; either a LT or CB. We lack in both these areas, and thus could make our team much better by adding some depth. The way I see this season going, I think we could have an early enough pick to snag Ryan Clady out of Boise State. I would encourage you to read up on him, he is a complete beast at the LT position. At the CB position, there are options Reggie Smith (Oklahoma) and Malcom Jenkins (Ohio State). I am suspect of any defensive player coming out of OSU, given the lack of schedule for this season. Reggie Smith would be my choice at the moment, he is killer. However, let's assume that Echemandu does play out like we'd wish...that means that we should definately be aiming for a RB in the first round. Our options will probably include Steve Slayton (West Virginia) and Jonathan Stewart (Oregon). I don't think I have to explain their positives. I would much like the opportunity to build our offensive line/CB corps...so I will be pulling for Echemandu.

In Free Agency, I would say that we take full advantage of our insane amount of cap room. I have no clue who will be available, but I think that we should do our best to put a all-pro veteran on the offensive line. I heard that Kevin Mawae would be open for the center position, that would be a great snag. I just know we need more playmakers, and more proven veterans. A little bit of confidence and certainty couldn't hurt.

That is about all I have at the moment. Oh, and anyone who thinks that we should dump Schaub after this season is a crazy fool...he is proving that he is a playmaker, even with absolutely nothing around him. It's his first season as a starter, and I think he is doing great. Much better than Carr, at the very least.

Vince Young sucks.
inschaubwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #19
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
I agree that it's not all Mario's fault. But the fact remains that the Texans spent many years of 1st round draft picks on the DL and nothing has changed since day 1.

I also think the offense isn't looking that bad besides the massive amounts of turnovers. I don't know why we turn the damn ball over so much especially with Kubes preaching about winning the turnover battle as much as he does.

I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that we might not be competitive for a couple of years. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the fact that I have a Houston team to root for.
That is true, too much invested in the Dline, sooner or later they are going to have to step up and play to their potential.

The offense isn't looking too bad, especially the passing game. I think we pretty much matched San Diego in total yardage...but once again 5 turnovers is too much.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #20
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by inschaubwetrust View Post
First things first, fire Richard Smith. His defensive scheme has been a complete embarassment, it's simplistic and easily exploitable. I'm not sure who'll be on the table to replace him, but I would say that Smith's head is definately the first on the chopping block.
Amen.

Quote:
so I will be pulling for Echemandu.
Amen and amen

Quote:
In Free Agency, I would say that we take full advantage of our insane amount of cap room. I have no clue who will be available, but I think that we should do our best to put a all-pro veteran on the offensive line.
Amen, amen, amen

Heck of a first post! Welcome aboard the good ship anguish!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read