Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #21
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak stays, coordinators GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
How in the world do you propose we get this done???
We contact him and ask him to interview with us. Then we decide if he is the best person for the job or if someone else (like a Mike Singletary) would be a better fit for us, Then we offer them a contract, and get them down here working on our off season/draft/scheming strategy.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #22
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
b) After Moulds, Flanagan, Salaam, Bedell, Black, Gado, Dayne, Weaver, and yes Mario, it is about time to lose the "it was Casserly's pick" excuse.
Could not agree more. I'm tired of hearing that.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #23
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
We contact him and ask him to interview with us. Then we decide if he is the best person for the job or if someone else (like a Mike Singletary) would be a better fit for us, Then we offer them a contract, and get them down here working on our off season/draft/scheming strategy.
I meant more on the terms of how are we going to lure him from San Diego. San Diego has maybe one of the most talented defenses in the league. Why would he want to leave San Diego and put his money on Hutchins and Petey to play man coverage in his blitz schemes.
Old 10-28-2007   #24
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Show me one team in the NFL that uses 46 fronts for their base defense....you won't be able to because nobody uses these fronts except in a package or two here and there.
Show me three teams that used 46 fronts when Buddy Ryan was coaching and I'll show you three teams with Top 5 defenses. Just because they don't use them much now doesn't mean they wouldn't be successful. The cover 2 is a cop-out.
DerekLee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #25
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekLee1 View Post
Show me three teams that used 46 fronts when Buddy Ryan was coaching and I'll show you three teams with Top 5 defenses.
The run and shoot worked in the 80's too. I still maintain you have to have elite talent to run a 46 defense as your base defense because putting your corners on islands is the exact opposite of what most good defenses are doing in todays game to combat todays more sophisticated offensive schemes.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #26
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1687 DerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respectedDerekLee1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
a) Absolutely not. Sherman was Kubiak's guy.
I stand corrected. I believe you're right about that, if the national papers were accurate.

Quote:
b) After Moulds, Flanagan, Salaam, Bedell, Black, Gado, Dayne, Weaver, and yes Mario, it is about time to lose the "it was Casserly's pick" excuse.
Who else was actually AVAILABLE at the time those guys were brought in that were better? Moulds and Mario were still during Casserly's tenure, Flanagan and Gado were Sherman's choices (and Flanagan was beat out for his starting job this year - Kubiak's call), and Salaam and Black were supposed to be backups to Charles "Nasty" Spencer. Weaver has been so-so and a decent bargain for what he's paid, and Dayne was always supposed to be a 2nd- or 3rd-stringer. I'm not making excuses for Kubiak; I'm just saying his own personal talent picks have been more hit than miss.
Old 10-28-2007   #27
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
The run and shoot worked in the 80's too.
New England and Indy often run schemes very similar to the run and shoot. The
problem with it in the 80's was no packages to run time off the clock, especially against - oh yeah - 46 defenses.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2007   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Weaver has been so-so and a decent bargain for what he's paid
But how does Weaver fit in with the defense we are building? Mario, from what I can tell, isn't going to get to the QB as often as we would like. We need another pass rusher at DE. Weaver is bad in that respect.
Old 10-28-2007   #29
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120415 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of this is on Kubiak...he hand picked his staff and he prepares the team. Childress is running a car dealership, Munchack is a well respected O-line coach for the Titans (a future head coach) and Moon is doing play by play.
I think Munchak is happy where he is. Moon even said when he was playing that he wanted to go into broadcasting. I don't think he wants to coach.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #30
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

We should Trade for David Carr
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
But how does Weaver fit in with the defense we are building? Mario, from what I can tell, isn't going to get to the QB as often as we would like. We need another pass rusher at DE. Weaver is bad in that respect.
Weaver is a 3-4 End...totally miscast and his name is never called....he's more invisible than Greenwood usually is.

Old 10-28-2007   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Weaver is a 3-4 End...totally miscast and his name is never called....he's more invisible than Greenwood usually is.
He is not even a bad player in my mind. He is just in a horrible situation. I don't see what our team is trying to get out of him.
Old 10-28-2007   #33
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have an open mind...I'm just a bit of an NFL historian and follow schemes and coaching concepts. I'm just speaking my mind...you do the same, but that doesn't mean I won't challenge something you post. I'll expect the same.
Agreed - but still, seriously, how would you fix this clunker. I'm out of ideas, and apparently so is the team.
Old 10-28-2007   #34
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who else was actually AVAILABLE at the time those guys were brought in that were better? Moulds and Mario were still during Casserly's tenure, Flanagan and Gado were Sherman's choices (and Flanagan was beat out for his starting job this year - Kubiak's call), and Salaam and Black were supposed to be backups to Charles "Nasty" Spencer. Weaver has been so-so and a decent bargain for what he's paid, and Dayne was always supposed to be a 2nd- or 3rd-stringer. I'm not making excuses for Kubiak; I'm just saying his own personal talent picks have been more hit than miss.
Moulds and Mario are on Kubiak. He was in control while Casserly was done making decisions at that point. I can't remember for sure, but I think he cut Gaffney. He should have kept Jabbar vs giving Moulds a $5M bonus for one year and cut.

Sherman works for Kubiak.

Salaam was supposed to be a back-up and will start for two years before all is done - Kubiak's call. He should have kept Wand as back-up left tackle, and he really should have brought him in the minute Spencer went down. It was a poor decision that he brought back Bedell instead of Wand when Spencer got hurt. This would have eliminated the need for Black too. All on Kubiak.

Spencer being "Nasty" doesn't change the fact he's played 1.5 games. Kubiak should have done more to replace him.

There is no excuse for Ron Dayne - he has had one or two good games a year for most of his career. Bad depth choice when you have an older starter. On Kubiak.

Yes Kubiak has made some good moves. If he gets credit for his hits, he gets credit for his misses.
Old 10-28-2007   #35
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head-001 View Post
I think Munchak is happy where he is. Moon even said when he was playing that he wanted to go into broadcasting. I don't think he wants to coach.
Munchak would make the move back to Houston for a promotion, guaranteed. It's why you coach.
Old 10-28-2007   #36
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Salaam was supposed to be a back-up and will start for two years before all is done - Kubiak's call. He should have kept Wand as back-up left tackle, and he really should have brought him in the minute Spencer went down. It was a poor decision that he brought back Bedell instead of Wand when Spencer got hurt. This would have eliminated the need for Black too. All on Kubiak.
It has become painfully apparent to me that Black was not brought in to play. He was paid alot to come in here and be an insurance policy to Salaam. How come these guys aren't in a battle? Salaam has not played well and I just don't understand why Black isn't given much of a chance considering Kubiak always talks about adding depth for competition.
Old 10-28-2007   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Agreed - but still, seriously, how would you fix this clunker. I'm out of ideas, and apparently so is the team.
I know you are just throwing ideas out there....your ideas are as good as mine at this point.

overcoming years of bad personnel decisions is tough. Good players can overcome mediocre coaching at times (teams will be inconsistent). I'm fairly sure that great coaching can't make mediocre talent and turn it into winning playoff teams. Combine years of bad drafting, bad FA acquisitions and then toss in what looks like a poorly coached team...and you have a synergistic mess we call the Texans. If you look at other franchises who have made numerous personnel mistakes in short periods of time it seems like it takes years and years to get over the hump all the while they turn over coach after coach.

Old 10-28-2007   #38
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Most of this is on Kubiak...he hand picked his staff and he prepares the team. Childress is running a car dealership, Munchack is a well respected O-line coach for the Titans (a future head coach) and Moon is doing play by play.
Well if Munchack is going to be a Head Coach it might as well be in Houston.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #39
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Moulds and Mario are on Kubiak. He was in control while Casserly was done making decisions at that point. I can't remember for sure, but I think he cut Gaffney. He should have kept Jabbar vs giving Moulds a $5M bonus for one year and cut.
Williams was McNair's call. It's been widely reported that Kubiak wanted Reggie Bush, but after the issues with his parents' house, Casserly convinced McNair that Bush would be bad news for the team. Gaffney's contract expired, and he bolted for Philly (where he was cut after training camp) with some nasty words about the team.

Quote:
Sherman works for Kubiak.
Kubiak is fresh in this league and my personal thought is that the NFL is still a good ol' boys league and he doesn't want to ruffle any feathers by second-guessing someone who's been in the league a lot longer. That will have to change or he'll be flushed out QUICK.

Quote:

Spencer being "Nasty" doesn't change the fact he's played 1.5 games. Kubiak should have done more to replace him.

There is no excuse for Ron Dayne - he has had one or two good games a year for most of his career. Bad depth choice when you have an older starter. On Kubiak.
All agreed here.
Old 10-28-2007   #40
DerekLee1
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I know you are just throwing ideas out there....your ideas are as good as mine at this point.

overcoming years of bad personnel decisions is tough. Good players can overcome mediocre coaching at times (teams will be inconsistent). I'm fairly sure that great coaching can't make mediocre talent and turn it into winning playoff teams. Combine years of bad drafting, bad FA acquisitions and then toss in what looks like a poorly coached team...and you have a synergistic mess we call the Texans. If you look at other franchises who have made numerous personnel mistakes in short periods of time it seems like it takes years and years to get over the hump all the while they turn over coach after coach.
I hope that's not the case with Kubes. I really believe he's going to be a stellar coach, but he needs guys around him (coaches and players) to help him fix this mess first.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read