Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #1
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default outside the box

this trade proposal was floated on the other MB, and was promptly ridiculed and put down as preposterous...so I want to float it here and see what you all think, especially after this game we just witnessed.

*trade Andre Johnson*

trade Andre for either multiple draft choices (which we need), or a blue chip starter in a position that we have a glaring need (pick one).

I would float other names out there, but AJ is really the only offensive tradeable player we have (sad huh?).

IMO, the foundation for this team needs to be established, and short of a 7 year plan, a drastic move is required. not a knee jerk move, but a well thought out move using what assets we have.

your thoughts?
Old 10-28-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: outside the box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
this trade proposal was floated on the other MB, and was promptly ridiculed and put down as preposterous...so I want to float it here and see what you all think, especially after this game we just witnessed.

*trade Andre Johnson*

trade Andre for either multiple draft choices (which we need), or a blue chip starter in a position that we have a glaring need (pick one).

I would float other names out there, but AJ is really the only offensive tradeable player we have (sad huh?).

IMO, the foundation for this team needs to be established, and short of a 7 year plan, a drastic move is required. not a knee jerk move, but a well thought out move using what assets we have.

your thoughts?
Trade our best player so we can hopefully find a guy who is as good as him? Bring in three guys like Greenwood and you can't make up for not having Andre Johnson.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #3
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Trade our best player so we can hopefully find a guy who is as good as him? Bring in three guys like Greenwood and you can't make up for not having Andre Johnson.
True.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

No no no no no.

Andre has given us everything. Really I expected him to leave town once his contract went up (just like I expect Dunta to do unless we turn it around) no reason playing football for a team that never has a chance to win anything.

Not only that he's our best player and he's still got tons of years on him. I wouldn't even think about it at this point.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #5
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 57076 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:

*trade Andre Johnson*

your thoughts?
Your idea was the paper. I throw half back at you and eat the other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would trade Andre Johnson for Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, and Cleveland's 2nd round pick in '08.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #7
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I would trade Andre Johnson for Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards, and Cleveland's 2nd round pick in '08.
That would be good actually...but Cleveland would be nimwits to do that. Joe Thomas is a better LT than any LT we've EVER had on this team. And he proves how much of a impact a good LT has.

We don't need to wait on Spencer. If we draft high (which might happen) we need to get a Sam Baker or Jake Long. No more ignoring the line.
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2007   #8
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would you post something this ridiculous. C'mon, he is the best player on this team, I am sick of stupidity from the team, from the coaches, from the players and from the fans.

I'm sick of it all!
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #9
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I like AJ as much as you guys, but just "IF". If we could get players to form the foundation of something better.

And yes...I realize he's one of a handful of playmakers we have, but we're desperate and something has to be shaken up.
Old 10-28-2007   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

How important is the WR position??

How much difference does having a great WR make over having a solid WR??

Is a great WR icing on a complete cake or can you build around a WR?

Moss at NE is a good case in point, but that team was complete without him, we are nowhere near complete.

I am not belittling AJ's talents, but what is the point having an a flash paint job (AJ) on a car with no engine or tyres or seats or transmission ( the rest of the team).
Old 10-28-2007   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like AJ as much as you guys, but just "IF".
3 words: Salary Cap Hit.
Old 10-28-2007   #12
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
How important is the WR position??

How much difference does having a great WR make over having a solid WR??

Is a great WR icing on a complete cake or can you build around a WR?

Moss at NE is a good case in point, but that team was complete without him, we are nowhere near complete.

I am not belittling AJ's talents, but what is the point having an a flash paint job (AJ) on a car with no engine or tyres or seats or transmission ( the rest of the team).
A WR is a vital part of the game, AJ is our MVP player on offense. He changes the way teams play defense, he's a scheme-changer and a playmaker.

Some teams win without elite WRs because they have a solid team around and a good QB, but I look at a team like Detroit now. Also WRs don't seem to get too much credit in todays NFL any more, I think you take Harrison and Wayne off the Colts and you have a different offense.

I think no doubt our offense improves vastly when he comes back...at the same time he doesn't make the team and he's still one man in 11 that has to do his job...but he means a lot to this team IMO I think it would be crazy to trade him right now unless we win big on the deal.
Old 10-28-2007   #13
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
A WR is a vital part of the game, AJ is our MVP player on offense. He changes the way teams play defense, he's a scheme-changer and a playmaker.

Some teams win without elite WRs because they have a solid team around and a good QB, but I look at a team like Detroit now. Also WRs don't seem to get too much credit in todays NFL any more, I think you take Harrison and Wayne off the Colts and you have a different offense.

I think no doubt our offense improves vastly when he comes back...at the same time he doesn't make the team and he's still one man in 11 that has to do his job...but he means a lot to this team IMO I think it would be crazy to trade him right now unless we win big on the deal.
You make a valid point about him being a scheme-changer. That is important.
Old 10-28-2007   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
Why would you post something this ridiculous. C'mon, he is the best player on this team, I am sick of stupidity from the team, from the coaches, from the players and from the fans.

I'm sick of it all!
Seriously. Why would you ever consider a trade involving Andre Johnson leaving???
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well one thing is for sure. After the guy restructured for you so you could make the deal to get MS and stay under the cap, get the team respectable, then throw the guy overboard, one thing I can gaurentee you, you won't ever have another high end guy come to this hell hole of the NFL again. A.J. is untouchable. I see what you are saying, but the deal is a non starter.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-28-2007 at 11:11 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #16
inschaubwetrust
Doh!

Send a message via AIM to inschaubwetrust

Ummm, why?

Why would we trade our best offensive player when there is no garuntee that we would pick up some just as valuable. We have some solid recievers on the depth chart, but it would be foolish to ignore what our offense has lost with A.J. off the field. Just a silly notion.

Vince Young sucks.
inschaubwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

What's this team going to do with a bunch of draft picks? Like Vinny mentioned, they would be lucky to find one guy as good as AJ. Going off their track record the rest would be busts.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read