Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-29-2007   #41
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Enough With The High Character Guys Issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Pittman once had a DWI arrest. Didn't help him with the snap on the punt today.

Richard Smith and Jon Hoke like to cuss and yell at players. Doesn't help them teach their players how to provide safety help.

Weird game. Weird season.
Logically, your point is valid. However, it not necessarily applicable to the Texans.

I said this earlier in another thread, the biggest problem the Texans have is Bob McNair.

The problem is real simple, prospective coaches, players, and front office personnel are excluded due to a certain image that McNair is trying to develop.

Unfortunately, that image development works completely independent of what happens on the field. Great image/look has nothing to do what happens on Sunday when the game is played.

Point is, the Texans should be taking a coach, player, or front office guy that gives the best chance to win. What they do in their personal time is their own business unless they are committing felonies. What happens with consenting adults is none of my business.

TC, I agree with you that taking character issues just to do it isn't going to amount to much. But, that's not the problem the Texans are facing. The problem is certain guys that should be considered are not because of so-called character issues and/or image requirements. And it's not just on the player side that this is happening.

Therefore, the biggest problem the Texans have is how McNair has run his Franchise. Kubiak is another shade of Capers in outward appearance. Look at Schaub compared to Carr, very different player on the field but I am seeing some striking similarities when I take into account an image requirement.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #42
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubecool454 View Post
I think its about time the texans start getting some more players with a attitude like Travis Johnson. I don't want street thugs but some thugs on the field. We don't put fear in anyone, dunta tries but he is a 180lb db. I need to see the texans get some penalties for roughing up a qb like ours get roughed up. Why can't we do like in baseball...a pitcher hits our player, we retaliate. This team has no violence in it at all. I can't give up on them but If we are ever going to win, we have to take chances and take some of those guys with low character. I would do anything right now to take a chance on pacman jones....Tank johnson. The patriots have high character...lol? Rodney harrison cheats..hell the whole organization got caught cheating. If you aren't cheating you ain't trying. Mr McNair and coach kubiak...we can probably get pacman real cheap right about now.
The fact that none of our defensive players took a roughing the passer penalty after what happened to Schaub was bush league and is a representation of the mindset of the coaching. this is a dog-eat-dog game and just like baseball, you have to protect your players ESPECIALLY YOUR FREAKING FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!!

Kubiak/Smith should have been like 'if one of you doesn't get a roughing the passer penalty this drive, then start looking for a new line of work'. They didn't even go after the guy. Just pathetic lame Care Bear NFL football. You gotta stand up for your guys and if its a blowout and they are taking cheap shots you reciprocate and make their sorry arses pay. Oh man, this team has no heart.....GROW A PAIR, TEXANS!!!
Old 10-29-2007   #43
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
The fact that none of our defensive players took a roughing the passer penalty after what happened to Schaub was bush league and is a representation of the mindset of the coaching. this is a dog-eat-dog game and just like baseball, you have to protect your players ESPECIALLY YOUR FREAKING FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!!

Kubiak/Smith should have been like 'if one of you doesn't get a roughing the passer penalty this drive, then start looking for a new line of work'. They didn't even go after the guy. Just pathetic lame Care Bear NFL football. You gotta stand up for your guys and if its a blowout and they are taking cheap shots you reciprocate and make their sorry arses pay. Oh man, this team has no heart.....GROW A PAIR, TEXANS!!!
I agree, this was probably what made me the most mad about the game. We are getting our asses kicked and our FRANCHISE QB is smacked down in a way that is supposed to be illegal. Obvious cheap shot. The fact that nobody did anything is straight soft. I wouldn't have been at all suprised if one of our players had come off the sideline and really started some ****...or even if our defense took a couple late hits in a row on Rivers. But the fact that nobody did anything...just sad and shows that alot of our staff and players need to be gone by 2008.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #44
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I agree, this was probably what made me the most mad about the game. We are getting our asses kicked and our FRANCHISE QB is smacked down in a way that is supposed to be illegal. Obvious cheap shot. The fact that nobody did anything is straight soft. I wouldn't have been at all suprised if one of our players had come off the sideline and really started some ****...or even if our defense took a couple late hits in a row on Rivers. But the fact that nobody did anything...just sad and shows that alot of our staff and players need to be gone by 2008.
it was straight up pathetic. me and my brother were just talking about this today. just a pathetic 'team' in every sense of the word....no one has each other's back and people are content with being the other team's little *****.
Old 10-29-2007   #45
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 12366 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

what we need on the texans (especially the oline and dline) are convicted felons. sack shaub, find a shiv/sharpened spoon broken off between your ribs.

great idea, i second it.
Old 10-29-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
remember, we take more guys off the draft board than any team in the league. We don't want meanies.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007   #47
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
remember, we take more guys off the draft board than any team in the league. We don't want meanies.
And we want perfect gentlemen which is what we got when their QB got his chops busted yesterday. None of those proper young men
lost their demeanor and did something mean like went after some payback. They behaved, well as young gentleman.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2007   #48
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I can think of a whole lot of guys that were full of good character and integrity, but God help you if you got in their way on the grid iron... i.e. Earl and Sweetness, Al Smith, Childress, Bubba McDowell etc. etc..
Old 10-29-2007   #49
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
And we want perfect gentlemen which is what we got when their QB got his chops busted yesterday. None of those proper young men
lost their demeanor and did something mean like went after some payback. They behaved, well as young gentleman.
yup and got their arses beat like perfect young gentleman as well. did they at least call the cops and file assault charges. God forbid they would have to fight back and show some pride.

i dont want convicts and thugs on my team, i just want guys that arent afraid to smack someone upside the head and kick a little arse. maybe even play with an edge and killer instinct...God forbid

OT - is Aaron Glenn still available? i know the Pokes cut him but I hadn't heard anything after that. When we had him we used to have a decent defense. He may be old but he can't be any worse than Faggins.
Old 10-29-2007   #50
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I can think of a whole lot of guys that were full of good character and integrity, but God help you if you got in their way on the grid iron... i.e. Earl and Sweetness, Al Smith, Childress, Bubba McDowell etc. etc..
exactly.....these guys arent running for office they are just playing football.

if the guy can spell S-A-C-K and W-I-N, I am just fine.
Bring on the next Dexter Manley for all I care.(minus the cocaine fetish of course).
Old 10-29-2007   #51
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OT - is Aaron Glenn still available? i know the Pokes cut him but I hadn't heard anything after that. When we had him we used to have a decent defense. He may be old but he can't be any worse than Faggins.
He picked off a pass for a TD Sunday. He plays in the Jaguar nickel packages.

Old 10-29-2007   #52
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I just can't envision Manning, Brady, or Romo taking a shot like Schaub did yesterday without an enforcer doing his job to retaliate.

Mario should have just steamrolled Rivers after a pass and just taken the penalty and $5,000 fine that would have come. I bet the Chargers would have stood up for their guy.
Old 10-29-2007   #53
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
exactly.....these guys arent running for office they are just playing football.

if the guy can spell S-A-C-K and W-I-N, I am just fine.
Bring on the next Dexter Manley for all I care.(minus the cocaine fetish of course).
That's what I said on the last play. You can have Jack Lambert and a host of guys who don't get arrrested but want to kill the opponent.
Old 10-29-2007   #54
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i dont want convicts and thugs on my team, i just want guys that arent afraid to smack someone upside the head and kick a little arse. maybe even play with an edge and killer instinct...God forbid
I was saying this last week and this week it really showed. No killer instinct what so ever. The only time the D seems to get fired up is if Mario makes a play, and it seems like a "good job, you dont suck" congratulations. Also when DeMeco makes a play he seems to fire up Greenwood, but that is about it.
Old 10-29-2007   #55
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
Mario should have just steamrolled Rivers after a pass and just taken the penalty and $5,000 fine that would have come. I bet the Chargers would have stood up for their guy.
And if I were Kubiak I would have paid for the fine for Mario.
Old 10-29-2007   #56
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
one of the worst moves our franchise ever made was getting rid of him for freaking PBurnt no less.....who all of a sudden isn't so bad anymore. hmm...coaching, anyone? we have the worst coaching staff in the NFL and I say that with a completely straight face.
Old 10-29-2007   #57
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I was saying this last week and this week it really showed. No killer instinct what so ever. The only time the D seems to get fired up is if Mario makes a play, and it seems like a "good job, you dont suck" congratulations. Also when DeMeco makes a play he seems to fire up Greenwood, but that is about it.
the 'good job, maybe you don't suck after all' congratulations are always priceless.....mario seems to be the biggest cheerleader in those 'celebrations'.
Old 10-29-2007   #58
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
one of the worst moves our franchise ever made was getting rid of him for freaking PBurnt no less.....who all of a sudden isn't so bad anymore. hmm...coaching, anyone? we have the worst coaching staff in the NFL and I say that with a completely straight face.
Quote:
Offensive Player of the Game*: Cornerback Aaron Glenn. Yeah, I'm completely shortchanging a lot of fantastic offensive players. Fred Taylor's 67 yards (only 68 more till he cracks 10,000), Maurice Jones-Drew's excellent play despite a knee injury, our Offensive Line in even attempting to stop the 8 and 9 man fronts that Tampa was throwing their way. All of them are worthy recipients. Even our Wide Receivers made plays.

Nobody made more a more clutch play than Aaron Glenn though, especially when you consider his situation. He was cut from the Cowboys at the start of the season, he had yet to appear in a game, and he was called upon to replace Brian Williams mid week after he strained his hamstring. Then, to top it all off, he makes a great play on the ball after reading Garcia like a cheap novel.

The Pick Six gave the Jaguars a little bit of momentum, even though the Bucs would proceed to march down the field and score. Aaron did a great job in coverage during the rest of the game, filling in for an expensive free agent acquisition and doing his job. I can't say enough for his performance. In fact, I'll let his words do the talking.

(On if he was prepared to go in and start) "I go every week prepared to start, that's what you're supposed to do in this league, that's what a professional is supposed to do. One thing that if my number is called, I'll always be ready to play. It's not a fact that I think it's going to be me to come out there and start, I'm always prepared to start, they just called my number to play this week and I was ready."

Even though he's on the Defense, I'm making him my Offensive Player of the Game!
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/story/2007/10/28/224552/15

Old 10-29-2007   #59
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

signing him after Cowboys unceremoniously cut him from its roster would have been the Texans admitting they were wrong getting rid of him in the first place. I am glad Aaron is doing well and I can't say I am that surprised.
Old 10-29-2007   #60
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
signing him after Cowboys unceremoniously cut him from its roster would have been the Texans admitting they were wrong getting rid of him in the first place. I am glad Aaron is doing well and I can't say I am that surprised.
He's at the end of his proverbial NFL rope but he would have made a better nickel corner than Faggins, Fletcher or Sanders the last few years...but we cut him since we wanted to go with "youth".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read