Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-28-2007   #1
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fear

I just watched a piece on the ESPN pregame show about fear and the only thing I could think while this piece was going was:

"Who on the Texans instills fear into the other team?"

It was an excellent piece and I wish I had a video clip of it to send to the Texans front office.

One of the things that Tom Jackson said was (something like this) "I was will to get hurt myself to hurt you". Do we have anyone on our team that is willing to do this?

DRob - a little bit, but its hard to do from the CB position
DRyans - yes

We are drafting way too many "Nice Guys" to win football games. Football is not a nice guy sport. Also, there is a difference between a nice guy and a good guy. Ronnie Lot was a good guy who instilled fear into WR. Earl Campbell instilled fear into other team.

Mario Williams is a nice guy and doesn't instill fear into anyone. I'm afraid Okoye is a nice guy too.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #2
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fear

I think the perception that we don't have enough "mean" guys and have too many "nice" guys is a misconception, and the significance of off-the-field manner's effect on how someone plays is overstated. I think it has less to do with manners and more to do with how good of a football player you are. For every nice guy you have a Travis "I'm going to scream at you while you're unconscious" Johnson, a Marcellus "I'm going to sucker punch Glenn Earl on the bus and break his jaw" Rivers, or a Thomas "I like getting roughing the passer penalties" Johnson.

Do we have more "nice" players than the average team? Maybe. Probably. At least that's what it seems like if you watch the players they choose to interview for the Texans website and commercials. Demeco and Dunta say all the right things most of the time off the field, but they'll still light you up on Sundays. We have had our share of rough personalities, they just haven't been very good football players.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #3
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

LaDanian Tomlinson is probably one of the best character guys in the league and also one of the most feared.

Bad character and instilling fear do not necessarily go together.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #4
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
LaDanian Tomlinson is probably one of the best character guys in the league and also one of the most feared.

Bad character and instilling fear do not necessarily go together.
Add Peyton Manning and Tom Brady to that. I bet teams fear them, and very nice guys.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #5
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offensive line instills fear in me.....
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellerLotYeller View Post
Our offensive line instills fear in me.....
You must be a really small dude.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read