Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-27-2007   #21
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak's stubbornness with the running game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
haha. spec, you need to take a class in reading comprehension. didn't they teach you that at that university in Indiana that has that fat head coach with a losing record? or maybe your just a t-shirt fan....whatever

ok, first off, outside of Sherman, Kubiak brought trash with him as far as assistant coaching goes. period. end of story. as far as players go, he brought no players with him outside of trash (dayne).

clark has been great but was not brought with Kubiak. Clark was an RS find and RS has done an exemplary job. so please add this to that meager cranium of yours.

as for coming out fired up and prepared, if you don't think that is important, than you are as dumb as a brick. they come out flat and unprepared and it shows.

but whatever, as far as you are concerned Kubiak is doing great and above criticism. not surprisingly you were one of the brainless homers that supported Carr abysmal performance after abysmal performance.

now go watch Notre Dame get rolled again and do something constructive other than mispelling drool and making an arse of yourself.

i have forgotten more about football than you will ever know in your life....and your takes are proof of that.

am I saying Kubiak should be instantly fired? no, what I am saying is that if a top Head Coach becomes available, we need to think seriously about hiring him because he would bring quality assistant coaches with him that would immediately upgrade our bad coaching staff and obviously upgrade our head coaching position. kubiak has done a decent job but it hasnt been good enough and his lack of emotion and fire has been displayed by the play of the team on the field.

Kubiak is an average head coach but when you realize that head coaching and teh coaching staff in general is the only thing you can do to help the team that doesnt count against the salary cap, you have to realize that you have to get the best and spare no expense. Kubiak was a hometown choice who chose Carr as his starter and Mario as his defensive anchor....not exactly Einstein, eh? Thank God, Rick Smith has come in and helped fix things somewhat on the personnel level.
I don't think we have to get rid of Kubiak to do that, though.

I agree that we have sub-par support staff. When you look at Green Bay and the staff that Holmgren put together (Gruden, Mooch, etc.) you see that a smart HC brings in winners around himself.

The message is this: You want to be an HC in the NFL? Do your job and give me a great defense. Give me a great special teams unit. Coach that QB well. Shore up the oline and make it a good one. If you ALL make ME successful, then we all will win. And when we ALL win, we ALL get more of what we want.

Thus far, though, it doesn't appear that putting the BEST support around Kubiak has even been a top priority. It takes players, but it also takes genuinely insanely talented assistants to coach a team up.

There defensive wizards out there who could easily do the job for us. It might take more money than McNair wants to spend, but it'd be worth it.

I don;t know if it's a deal of Kubiak bringing in friends, or putting up guys who are no real threat to his position, or if McNair doesn't want to have the financial outlay, or what the deal is.

But above the offensive woes, which there are many (recently) to be concerned about, I am more concerned about what I perceive to be a lack of quality assistants that outshine the HC and sparkle in the sunlight.

Joe Mar on special teams is about as golden as it gets on this staff of assistants, and I'm not sure but Shanny Jr. might be the next guy up. Other than those two, where are we really seeing a bang-up job being done?
Old 10-27-2007   #22
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
haha. spec, you need to take a class in reading comprehension. didn't they teach you that at that university in Indiana that has that fat head coach with a losing record? or maybe your just a t-shirt fan....whatever

ok, first off, outside of Sherman, Kubiak brought trash with him as far as assistant coaching goes. period. end of story. as far as players go, he brought no players with him outside of trash (dayne).

clark has been great but was not brought with Kubiak. Clark was an RS find and RS has done an exemplary job. so please add this to that meager cranium of yours.

as for coming out fired up and prepared, if you don't think that is important, than you are as dumb as a brick. they come out flat and unprepared and it shows.

but whatever, as far as you are concerned Kubiak is doing great and above criticism. not surprisingly you were one of the brainless homers that supported Carr abysmal performance after abysmal performance.

now go watch Notre Dame get rolled again and do something constructive other than mispelling drool and making an arse of yourself.

i have forgotten more about football than you will ever know in your life....and your takes are proof of that.

am I saying Kubiak should be instantly fired? no, what I am saying is that if a top Head Coach becomes available, we need to think seriously about hiring him because he would bring quality assistant coaches with him that would immediately upgrade our bad coaching staff and obviously upgrade our head coaching position. kubiak has done a decent job but it hasnt been good enough and his lack of emotion and fire has been displayed by the play of the team on the field.

Kubiak is an average head coach but when you realize that head coaching and teh coaching staff in general is the only thing you can do to help the team that doesnt count against the salary cap, you have to realize that you have to get the best and spare no expense. Kubiak was a hometown choice who chose Carr as his starter and Mario as his defensive anchor....not exactly Einstein, eh? Thank God, Rick Smith has come in and helped fix things somewhat on the personnel level.
I will respond to this later but after being personaly attacked I am a little pissed because I thought that was not allowd on here. But that is all You know how to do. You persoanlly attack players coaches with no insight. You attack Notre Dame which has nothing to do with pro-football. Honestly you can take your personal attack and stick them where the sun does not shine.

Seriously, .............................

NEVER MIND!!
Old 10-27-2007   #23
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 32563 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
Alot of teams with worse offensive lines...
Define "a lot".
Old 10-27-2007   #24
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I will respond to this later but after being personaly attacked I am a little pissed because I thought that was not allowd on here. But that is all You know how to do. You persoanlly attack players coaches with no insight. You attack Notre Dame which has nothing to do with pro-football. Honestly you can take your personal attack and stick them where the sun does not shine.

NEVER MIND!!
I get into it with Doug on a lot of issues. But I'm with him on this issue, specifically as it's related to poor coaching staff support.

And I apparently am not high on your Christmas card list right now.

So here's the deal: We're all sort of like family here, and family doesn't always get along.

People will defend their points of view as much as they can, especially if they feel passionately about it.

Sometimes some mud is going to get flung.

We all are guilty.

No biggie, to me. Go over to the "other" board and see what it's like. At least here on this board we have some intelligent conversation and people who by-and-large can at least articulate what they want to say.

Besides, it's the spice of life. What would it be like without Doug ragging someone. Marcuse does it, too. And Vinny will eat someone's lunch if they get on his nerves too much.

Relax.
Old 10-27-2007   #25
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
It seems like a lame excuse from Kubiak, seeing as how Schaub is already hurt despite all of Kubiak's worthless run attempts. All of those run attempts, didn't seem to "protect" Schaub, now did they? Am I to believe that if Kubiak abandoned the run, then Schaub would be hurt worse than he currently is?
Absolutely!
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #26
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:

NEVER MIND!!
cmon man. grow a pair. so its ok to point out where I went to school and that i 'drool' over Bevo or some other nonsense but when I point out that your 'genius' head coach for Notre Dame is fat and that he has a losing record you get your panties all in a wad. Is he fat? Yes. Do they have a losing record? Yes. What is the problem, then?

as for your Texans 'analysis', it is sorely lacking and we will leave it at that. this coaching staff is very sub-par, the team isn't ready to play on Sunday, and mistakes are being repeated. that is poor coaching and there are no such things as 10-year extensions for bad football in the NFL like there is at South Bend. You get 2-3 years to show progress in the NFL. Kubiak will have had 2 at the end of the year and if an elite HC prospect becomes available and willing, how can you not consider it?

I would take Cowher, Schottenheimer, J Johnson, Andy Reid, Carroll, or Gruden over Kubiak in a heartbeat. Our coaching staff's would be much improved but it would cost McNair. He needs to pony the money up for quality coaching with a fraction of the tenacity that he did for 2nd rate players like Weaver, Wade, Greenwood, and Riley. I guess that makes me a bad fan, huh?

and its not about where he went to school, its where he learned his craft. And the fact that he is a Slocum disciple is NOT a good thing irregardless of where you went to school. That means they have a stubbornness towards how they want to play the game and are ultra-conservative with playcalling. Kubiak isn't as conservative as RCS was but he is still too conservative with the Texans. We don't have the personnel to run a run-dominated offense but he persists in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Didn't we learn anything with the previous regime? Cmon now.

coaching doesn't count against the cap. why do we have one of the worst and most inexperienced overall coaching staff's in the league? If they keep him as head coach, then force him to bring in Buddy Ryan's son from Oakland and make him defensive head coach with a hefty pay raise over what Al is paying him in Oakland. just do something. Our DC is horrendous on 3rd down or on any must-have play. its been painfully obvious to anyone paying attention the past 1.5 years.
Old 10-27-2007   #27
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
haha. spec, you need to take a class in reading comprehension. didn't they teach you that at that university in Indiana that has that fat head coach with a losing record? or maybe your just a t-shirt fan....whatever{/Quote]

Yes taking a shot at someones weight and Notre Dame shows how much intellict one has. Just curios what it has to do with the Texans. A T-Shirt fan I guess is someone who never attended the school or is it never having been on the campus or watching a football game there? I have stated many times on here why I like ND and that I went to UofH. I am sure you are going to have something negative and uncomplimentary.

[Quick]ok, first off, outside of Sherman, Kubiak brought trash with him as far as assistant coaching goes. period. end of story. as far as players go, he brought no players with him outside of trash (dayne).
Jeb Putzier was also brought with him, but your original statement said nothing but trash, so that would mean nothing good what so ever now you are amending that. But I see you would like to talk about the coaches not players. You said all trash and now you say Sherman, so I guess Joe Marciano and Brian Pariani are trash and have not helped the areas in which they coach. last I looked the TE's and Special teams have been two areas that have graded out as doing some of the best work the Texans have had in 6 years. I would also add that the WR position has seen tremendous strides all year and that would be thanks to Larry Kirksey. Of course since this is his first year here, I am sure it is only thanks to Rick smith and not Kubiak.

[/Quick]clark has been great but was not brought with Kubiak. Clark was an RS find and RS has done an exemplary job. so please add this to that meager cranium of yours.[/Quick]

So now the coach has no say so? But you blamed capers for a lot of the personel decisions before. So which is it? the coach has say so or has none, you can't have it which ever way you want the arguement to go. It is a joint decision between HC and GM, with the final say by the GM with in the Texans organization. So my meager cranium as you put (another personal attack), can understand who has done what and brought in what players. When you really have nothing of value to had just make sure you insult them so your point sounds better and has more merit.

Quote:
as for coming out fired up and prepared, if you don't think that is important, than you are as dumb as a brick. They come out flat and unprepared and it shows.
I like the fact you now add prepared. Now I never mentioned that because that goes without saying. What I did say is thata coach does not have to be a firey rah rah type of guy to get the job done. Hence my mentioning of Belichick and Dungy, two of the most nonfirey rah rah type of guys coaching today. Yet they are two of the most successful coaches there are.

Quote:
LMAO, and you criticized my reading and comprehention?

Quote:
I am not completely happy with the play calling on offense but I am more disappointed with the play calling on defense than I am with the Offense.
Where does it say he is without blame? I blame the online blocking schemes and the defense schemes more (but that is what is great I am allowd to have my opinoin), of course it all does fall on the head coach regardless of who the corridinator is.

Quote:

Not sure why you have to bring ND into this but they are not playing this week. As far as my mispelling of a single word or even multiple words, I could give a rats ass because if it boils down to someone have critique someones spelling in order to say they no nothing about football means they actually have no arguement. If I was like some and wanted to bash I could very easily bash the use of punction and use of capital letters at the begining of sentences, but that has nothing to do with football and only shows how weak minded and insicure someone might be.

This whole notion you forgot more about football than I will know could be the whole problem you have forgotten so much about football and you may want to relearn it.

Quote:

Yes we all know that this organization really goes after the hometown picks and heros. That is why Mario was drafted because he was the hometwon he............. oh damn that was some other guy. I thought you said that the owner deceided to keep Carr and that no coach would have been brought in that would not have agreed to keep Carr? So which is it, Kubiak is the sole reason the Texans kept Carr or was it owner Bob McNair? It is impossible to have it both ways, it has to be either or!

Wait you said that Kubiak brought trash with him (assistant coaches) so wouldn't they be to blame how Mario has performed. You have said multiple times the team has trash coaches and that if someone else was here they would bring better assistants and that no expense should be spared in that area. Now you blame Kubiak for the Mario pick but give all the credit for good players to the GM? I am really trying to understand who is at fault and who gets credit on players.

You should understand that I never said Kubiak did everything right but you again bash and use the college angle and with you being a diehard UT guy it makes your rants very biased and not very factual.

Last edited by Specnatz; 10-27-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-27-2007   #28
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I get into it with Doug on a lot of issues. But I'm with him on this issue, specifically as it's related to poor coaching staff support.

And I apparently am not high on your Christmas card list right now.

So here's the deal: We're all sort of like family here, and family doesn't always get along. People will defend their points of view as much as they can, especially if they feel passionately about it.

Sometimes some mud is going to get flung. We all are guilty.

No biggie, to me. Go over to the "other" board and see what it's like. At least here on this board we have some intelligent conversation and people who by-and-large can at least articulate what they want to say.

Besides, it's the spice of life. What would it be like without Doug ragging someone. Marcuse does it, too. And Vinny will eat someone's lunch if they get on his nerves too much.

Relax.

That thing is I have said I do not like the play calling of the defense as have many with regards to Frank Bush. As far as being high on my christmas card list, I have no issue with you because you never called me names or said I had a meager mind.

We can disagree on the subject of football but taking it to a level of being spiteful is another story. And that is all he does.
Old 10-27-2007   #29
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

and its not about where he went to school, its where he learned his craft. And the fact that he is a Slocum disciple is NOT a good thing irregardless of where you went to school. That means they have a stubbornness towards how they want to play the game and are ultra-conservative with playcalling.
"Irregardless."

dictionary.com

This one (not-a-)word happens to be a pet peeve. Kinda like "supposably" for other folks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #30
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #31
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

did kubiak initially sign a 4yr contract ??
just curious?
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 221570 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That thing is I have said I do not like the play calling of the defense as have many with regards to Frank Bush. As far as being high on my christmas card list, I have no issue with you because you never called me names or said I had a meager mind.

We can disagree on the subject of football but taking it to a level of being spiteful is another story. And that is all he does.
ummm...
isn't Richard Smith the defensive coordinator and therefore is ultimately responsible for the defensive playcalling?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
kubiak is just a bad offensive coordinator and only a slightly better coach. he is better than capers but he lacks the fire and emotion you need in today's NFL. he is a flatliner and is too stooped in the old 'wive's tales' of football. if you can't run the ball, you don't run the ball. it's like beating your head against the wall sometimes with this guy.

maybe the guy will take the job at A&M and get us off the hook. then we can go back up the Brinks truck and hire Cowher. Cowher would bring a pantheon of quality assistants with him as well....and maybe even a few players comes here to play for him. Kubiak brought nothing but trash.

Well the record says other wise. Kube's has a twenty year track record with the broncos that any knee jerk JA can look up. The mess that was here when he got here was not his fault. DC was not his fault. The depth in the o-line is not his fault. Stuborn ? Well yeah. he hangs with the veteran a little bit too long for my tates. I'd of all ready troted out the herd on the bench to find a center. Petey Faggins...nope I believe him. Bennitt's is not ready yet.

What some of you fail to realize is the fact that it hasn't hit rock bottom yet. It could get worse. I KNOW what is behind door number three. He can't come out and say point blank if we start this guy he's going to get someone killed. But you should be able to read between the lines of the coach speak.

This HC has to have a rushing attack to make things work. These QBs have to have the rushing attack to make things work. Now what is so difficult about that ? I get it. They start playing around with the offensvie line things could crater quickly. I'm not in the room but I'm figuring that any major changes will happen at the bye week. I like Kubes . Sure mark of a hopeless franchise they fire coaches with regularity. The season might be a disaster. But we aren't hopeless. They had a great schedule for once and if they would of lucked out with the injuries good things might of happened. Young guys in the d-line didn't mature as fast as we would of liked and the o-line got exposed. Just a franchise growing up that's all.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 10-28-2007 at 12:19 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
ummm...
isn't Richard Smith the defensive coordinator and therefore is ultimately responsible for the defensive playcalling?
Well Obsi, you show me the thread where one of the coordinators has a mirophone in his face and he is giving a quote on something. I want to see it. I'm not in the room...Richard Smith is doing exactly, preciesly what he is bieng told to do. Wanna throw him under the buss, makes you feel better... fine.
Old 10-28-2007   #35
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well Obsi, you show me the thread where one of the coordinators has a mirophone in his face and he is giving a quote on something. I want to see it. I'm not in the room...Richard Smith is doing exactly, preciesly what he is bieng told to do. Wanna throw him under the buss, makes you feel better... fine.
Actually I ment to say Richard Smith and say that a lot of people would like a change on the Defensive play calling and want Frank Bush. I sorta typed and forgot to proof read what I typed which I do a lot.

Oops my bad.

Old 10-28-2007   #36
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

My only complaint with Kubiak's assistant coaching choices has been his decision to hire Richard Smith as the Defensive Coordinator. At the time, I felt like there were better coaches available, and there still are.
Old 10-28-2007   #37
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would take Cowher, Schottenheimer, J Johnson, Andy Reid, Carroll, or Gruden over Kubiak in a heartbeat. Our coaching staff's would be much improved but it would cost McNair. He needs to pony the money up for quality coaching with a fraction of the tenacity that he did for 2nd rate players like Weaver, Wade, Greenwood, and Riley. I guess that makes me a bad fan, huh?
By Carroll, I take it that you meant USC Head Coach Pete Carroll. Well, I am not particularly impressed by him as a coach and I admittedly don't know much about his coaching staff, but how hard is it really to be successful in college football coaching for USC? The key to success in college football is recruiting, and USC is usually the first choice of the best players in California and its bordering States.

Quote:
and its not about where he went to school, its where he learned his craft. And the fact that he is a Slocum disciple is NOT a good thing irregardless of where you went to school. That means they have a stubbornness towards how they want to play the game and are ultra-conservative with playcalling. Kubiak isn't as conservative as RCS was but he is still too conservative with the Texans. We don't have the personnel to run a run-dominated offense but he persists in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Didn't we learn anything with the previous regime? Cmon now.
It's true that R.C. Slocum ran a very conservative Offense, but your arguement doesn't seem to hold up when you consider the approach of the Texans Defense. If Kubiak is supposedly a Slocum disciple, then how come the Texans are running a conservative 4-3 Defense? R.C. Slocum was a strong proponent of an attacking 3-4 Defense that was anything but conservative. If Kubaik was truely a Slocum disciple shouldn't the Defense be blitzing more often out of a 3-4 Defensive Alignment? I think you need to work on your analysis more, because this Slocum disciple stuff just doesn't get it done.

Last edited by BattleRedToro; 10-28-2007 at 10:17 AM.
BattleRedToro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007   #38
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Well the record says other wise. Kube's has a twenty year track record with the broncos that any knee jerk JA can look up. The mess that was here when he got here was not his fault. DC was not his fault. The depth in the o-line is not his fault. Stuborn ? Well yeah. he hangs with the veteran a little bit too long for my tates. I'd of all ready troted out the herd on the bench to find a center. Petey Faggins...nope I believe him. Bennitt's is not ready yet.

What some of you fail to realize is the fact that it hasn't hit rock bottom yet. It could get worse. I KNOW what is behind door number three. He can't come out and say point blank if we start this guy he's going to get someone killed. But you should be able to read between the lines of the coach speak.

This HC has to have a rushing attack to make things work. These QBs have to have the rushing attack to make things work. Now what is so difficult about that ? I get it. They start playing around with the offensvie line things could crater quickly. I'm not in the room but I'm figuring that any major changes will happen at the bye week. I like Kubes . Sure mark of a hopeless franchise they fire coaches with regularity. The season might be a disaster. But we aren't hopeless. They had a great schedule for once and if they would of lucked out with the injuries good things might of happened. Young guys in the d-line didn't mature as fast as we would of liked and the o-line got exposed. Just a franchise growing up that's all.
Pretty good post.

The only thing I wonder about, is if Kubiak has the ability to gather around him the type of coaches who might be a threat to his throne. Kubiak comes across, to me, as a guy who has surrounded himself with people who are less skilled than him...making him the smartest man in the room, if you will.

I think the GM, Rick Smith, is the exception. Seems he's a pretty smart guy. I have listened to him. I have seen him work some deals and keep the cap under control with an eye toward the big payday in 2008.

I don't know. I really didn't see McNair and Kubiak attempting to put together a really high-profile staff of coaches that you see on other teams of higher caliber: Indy, Pats, etc.

If Richard Smith is still around after this season, I'll be disappointed in somebody if we don't attempt to bring a guy who is having CURRENT success as a defensive coordinator.
Old 10-28-2007   #39
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Kubiak didn't have the team ready to play....yet again.

Someone has to be held accountable for the garbage on the field Sunday. Was Greenwood even in the game? Did Mario think the game was going to be played in Phoenix and missed the plane? Because he didn't show up....yet again.

Richard Smith must go. We could go hire Bruce Matthews as an OL Coach and bring in the best DC that money can buy. My whole point was that the Texans are going 'on the cheap' with their coaching staff. The one area of your team where salary cap means nothing. Spend the money, delegate the power, and get it done.

This season is pretty much over so its time to stop playing so damn scared on defense. Send 4 guys against the QB. No success? Send 5 guys against the QB. No success? Send 6 guys against the QB. No success? Well, then you are the proud owner of a horrible defensive roster and scheme.

We make average QBs look like Johnny Unitas on a weekly basis. For crying out loud, Cleo freaking Lemon almost beat us......

Richard Smith MUST GO
Old 10-29-2007   #40
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
is it just me or am I the only one who has noticed that we pass more than we run?
thats what me and all of my friends have been saying for weeks now. it always seems like pass/pass/run/punt, especially in the 1st half.

I think the play action would work much better if we ran a little more, and a little more effectively

Quote:
"He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Samuel Johnson
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read