Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-26-2007   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trade for a 2nd?

Do we have anyone on team that we could do without that would bring us a second round pick in a trade? We do not seem very deep at many positions, but it is an idea (although probably not a good one.)
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Trade for a 2nd?

Schaub, AJ, OD, DeMeco and Drob.

Good thing they're not going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
maybe sage? i don't know if he could reel in a 2nd, and i doubt the texans want to trade a good backup qb...pitts or weary might bring a nice pick. maybe walter or davis? i dunno, it doesn't seem like we have a whole lot to offer up outside of our starpower.

i'm not so opposed to trading down in the first though. that's the 'easy' way to get a 2nd. to be honest, we really need it to keep moving forward and i believe rick smith is going to do everything he can to get it.
Out of the guys you mentioned I bet only Davis could even get us a 3.

The only guys that could get us a 2 or better are our stars & that isnt gonna happen.

We have stars & role players but we just dont have those intermediate guys yet.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, Oakland traded Randy Moss to New England for a Fourth Round Pick.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Out of the guys you mentioned I bet only Davis could even get us a 3.

The only guys that could get us a 2 or better are our stars & that isnt gonna happen.

We have stars & role players but we just dont have those intermediate guys yet.
You touched on something I've been mulling over.. JJ, Walters and AJ are your first three and Anderson plays well enough to be the fourth. Davis continues his good start and we sign him to a good but reasonable three year deal before this season ends. Could Davis get you a 2nd or a high 3rd? I really do not want to touch our WR but that may be a depth we can explore to strengthen the team with another first day pick. Or could be used to trade up for a special player.
Old 10-26-2007   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Well, Oakland traded Randy Moss to New England for a Fourth Round Pick.
Thats just because Oakland couldnt wait to get rid of him.

He was a team cancer & he was "supposed to be" washed up.

Poor Raiders.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Davis gets you a fourth at best. And as a side note didn't Davis sign just a one year deal?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-26-2007   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I think Davis gets you a fourth at best. And as a side note didn't Davis sign just a one year deal?
Yes , but I said sign him this season say week 14 to a three year deal. That would help a trade. I think a WR avg 18-22 yds with 50 catches would be worth a second.
Old 10-26-2007   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yes , but I said sign him this season say week 14 to a three year deal. That would help a trade. I think a WR avg 18-22 yds with 50 catches would be worth a second.
You gotta remeber it's all supply and demand. I see a kid like the Indiana kid and Blythe for Iowa SU, I see a herd of WRs out there. These two couldn't catch a sniff at an all america team. So the question begs to be asked why give up a fourth round pick when you can hold your water and bring in a clean chalk board and coach him up the way you want him coached up. Davis has a history of injuries also. He's ok in a rotation but thinking he can go out and put up fifty to sixty snaps a game...banging on the running plays, is a bit of a reach. He is what he is, a number four or five guy. I think he is exactly like Peerless Price. With better hands. I think we just need to hang on to our second teired WR guys. QB, FB and WR our three things we shouldn't have to adress this off season.

You might have a chance to get a high day two for Weaver with a three four team like Baltimore. But then you gotta find another DE.
Old 10-26-2007   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You gotta remeber it's all supply and demand. I see a kid like the Indiana kid and Blythe for Iowa SU, I see a herd of WRs out there. These two couldn't catch a sniff at an all america team. So the question begs to be asked why give up a fourth round pick when you can hold your water and bring in a clean chalk board and coach him up the way you want him coached up. Davis has a history of injuries also. He's ok in a rotation but thinking he can go out and put up fifty to sixty snaps a game...banging on the running plays, is a bit of a reach. He is what he is, a number four or five guy. I think he is exactly like Peerless Price. With better hands. I think we just need to hang on to our second teired WR guys. QB, FB and WR our three things we shouldn't have to adress this off season.

You might have a chance to get a high day two for Weaver with a three four team like Baltimore. But then you gotta find another DE.
Ok but Davis may get 50 this season. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...iAn01.htm#2007

Would you wait for a 4th round WR who might not make team? If there is a WR you like at 2nd round cool but you have an 800+ yds guy for a second who is pretty exciting.
Old 10-26-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok but Davis may get 50 this season. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...iAn01.htm#2007

Would you wait for a 4th round WR who might not make team? If there is a WR you like at 2nd round cool but you have an 800+ yds guy for a second who is pretty exciting.
Don't forget that at the start of the season there were 2 4th round WRs who bet Davis out for playing time on our own roster. And it's not like we're known for havinf crazy Patroits like depth.
Old 10-26-2007   #12
digitalswim
Sleepwalker

Rep Power: 1590 digitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respecteddigitalswim is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a 2nd rounder as much as the next guy but at the end of the day trading away players is not going to help us. When I say that, I mean players that have any kind of actual trade value.

You know what is going to make our team stronger? Patience. We are not going to get even close to what we need out of the draft / FA next offseason. What we will get is a little bit closer to our goals.

It may suck a bit at times but the power house teams of the league didn't get that way overnight. They built quality and depth through the draft and by retaining their players.
digitalswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #13
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalswim View Post
I want a 2nd rounder as much as the next guy but at the end of the day trading away players is not going to help us. When I say that, I mean players that have any kind of actual trade value.

You know what is going to make our team stronger? Patience. We are not going to get even close to what we need out of the draft / FA next offseason. What we will get is a little bit closer to our goals.

It may suck a bit at times but the power house teams of the league didn't get that way overnight. They built quality and depth through the draft and by retaining their players.
this is a perfect post. everybody wants more draft picks, but if you look at shanahan & kubiak's track record, they usually trade draft picks for players ... not vice versa.
Old 10-26-2007   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Don't forget that at the start of the season there were 2 4th round WRs who bet Davis out for playing time on our own roster. And it's not like we're known for havinf crazy Patroits like depth.
Not to be arguementative but how are those two 4ths doing now?
Old 10-26-2007   #15
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the trade deadline passed.....?
Old 10-26-2007   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I do not expect a power house team next year. I do expect a team that compete with the Falcons and Miami's. The future is great but you had better keep me interested now or I could go somewhere else. Are you listening Astros?
Old 10-26-2007   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I thought the trade deadline passed.....?
The thought was using Andre Davis as an example. Sign him to a three year deal this season in say week 14 and then you trade him before draft for a 2nd.
Old 10-26-2007   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Not to be arguementative but how are those two 4ths doing now?
Being hurt is a lot different from being sucky. Injuries happen and when Mathis and Jones beat Davis out for playing time all three were healthy.

C'mon you're better then that.
Old 10-26-2007   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
The thought was using Andre Davis as an example. Sign him to a three year deal this season in say week 14 and then you trade him before draft for a 2nd.
Yeah, cause we have the cap room to sign anybody right now, and when we do have the room Davis will be a FA.

Of the players we have on our roster that might get us a 2nd round pick, we cannot affrod to lose any of them.
Old 10-27-2007   #20
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Best post on this thread! Thanks digitalswim! I like you're line of thinking. Building the team slowly through the Draft is the best way to go IMO. I realize they have had to use FA as a stop-gap to help improve the team in the short term, but I believe the Draft is what they will use to build a solid foundation for the long haul. I think the Schaub trade was an exception to what they would like to do with the Draft, but they saw an opportunity and felt they had to make a move before the window closed. It hurt losing those two 2nd rounders, but weighing all the factors, it was a good deal for us. I don't think you'll see them make those kinds of moves too often.

I really believe Smith and Kubes plan is to build through the Draft, get FA's to fill the short term gaps, and for the most part, keep their Draft picks (and maybe get extra picks by trading down). JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read