Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-25-2007   #1
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover
Default Start Rosenfels?!?!?

A friend of mine and I have been arguing all week about this. This guy thinks we should start Rosenfels and bench Schaub. His argument is that Schaub has not thrown a TD in the last 3 games and Rosenfels threw 4 TDs in the last game. My argument is that Schaub is putting up good numbers, is the #10 qb in the NFL, and Rosenfels is a backup and not worthy of starting. Somehow he overlooks the 4 interceptions he threw in the last game too. What is yalls take?
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 96327 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Start Rosenfels?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICLICK View Post
A friend of mine and I have been arguing all week about this. This guy thinks we should start Rosenfels and bench Schaub. His argument is that Schaub has not thrown a TD in the last 3 games and Rosenfels threw 4 TDs in the last game. My argument is that Schaub is putting up good numbers, is the #10 qb in the NFL, and Rosenfels is a backup and not worthy of starting. Somehow he overlooks the 4 interceptions he threw in the last game too. What is yalls take?
Slap your friend.
Old 10-25-2007   #3
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is the guy.... if he is healthy. If Matt isn't 100%, I say start Sage. He has proven that he can run this offense effectively. Otherwise, it is Matts job. We gave up too much and paid him too much to have him sit when healthy.

Matt is improving.... we just need to keep him in one piece behind that pathetic offensive line.
Old 10-25-2007   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

i say we start sage this week and next at oakland, give schaub an extra break with the bye week and give him a chance to be 100 percent.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Schaub is the guy.... if he is healthy. If Matt isn't 100%, I say start Sage. He has proven that he can run this offense effectively. Otherwise, it is Matts job. We gave up too much and paid him too much to have him sit when healthy.

Matt is improving.... we just need to keep him in one piece behind that pathetic offensive line.
Close thread....
Old 10-25-2007   #6
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Drop the "1" from Sage's uniform and you have almost the same QB. I'm confident both can do a good job. I say let Schaub heal. Seems he was hurting before last weeks game and the same thing that was hurting before is still hurting, yet there are a couple of new things added to his list of injuries now.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Some QBs are great backups, but not necessarily starter material. I think that Sage is probably one of those guys.

Once defenses have enough film on him, then they'll be more effective against him.

He always impresses me when he comes in, but I can't help but think that Schaub was brought in for a reason.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post

I agree. Schaub is basically a 'rookie' as a starting QB, so there is no point in risking him if he is not playing in good health. We have too much invested and he represents too much of our future plans to prove a short term goal of winning one game.

And yeah, I agree with you about our line now. Losing McKinney should not have been such a devastating blow, but it's obvious that they lost a lot when he got injured.
Old 10-25-2007   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Schaub has the potential to be a great QB. Sage is a great backup who would probably be OK as a starter.

Sage's problem is that he doesn't always make good decisions; he makes risky throws. He tries to fit the ball into places that he has no right trying to fit the ball into. That's why he threw 3 interceptions and was really lucky that he didn't throw more.

If Schaub is feeling beaten up, I don't mind Sage starting a game for Matt to heal up but Matt is the future of this team.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all for starting Sage the next two games. That gives Schaub three weeks to get better. I have complete confidence in Sage to run the team while Schaub is resting.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #11
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If Schaub is feeling beaten up, I don't mind Sage starting a game for Matt to heal up but Matt is the future of this team.
Agreed, since the offensive line is probably not going to be much better, or maybe worse.

Schaub could be risking serious injury if he is not 100% with the current state of affairs regarding the offensive line
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is hands down the better QB. Up until last week he was in the Top 10 in 7 statistical categories, was working the pocket well and besides a few mishaps was throwing a nice ball. Sage is a good backup. He had a great 4th quarter but he also has done this in Miami and when he got the chance to start he stunk up the joint. When he starts he doesn't play well. In relief and with nothing to lose he wings it. He still had some horrible moments last week that can't be ignored. People are just fickle and really don't look at the big picture.

Overall, if Schaub needs the healing time..Fine. But it shouldn't be a decision between the two.
Old 10-25-2007   #13
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 139474 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your friend needs to pay attention what is happening on the OTHER side of the ball.

With 1 1/2 quarters left to play and a sizable lead, the Titans defense started playing soft. All too often, when one QB comes in and puts up good numbers, folks ONLY concentrate on what that player did, and don't consider what the defense was allowing to happen. The game is more nuanced than looking at pure stats.

Rosenfels' last TD throw was very close to being one of those desperation throws that ends up as an interception. Luckily our WR was able to make a play on the ball, but watching that in replays, it looked like a very questionable decision.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Is the season basically over so far as the Texans making it to the playoffs this year ? I think so, but others may differ ?
But if it's over, let Schaub rest & heal along with AJ and hold them both out until after the bye-week next month. If Rosenfels plays and looks good in the next few games, maybe we'd get an offer for him from another team we couldn't refuse. Sorta like the one ATL got for Schaub earlier this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #15
SICLICK
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 SICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden coverSICLICK could be on the next Madden cover

I am in total agreement about starting Sage while Schaub heals. Other than that he remains a backup.
SICLICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #16
HWY95
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Is the season basically over so far as the Texans making it to the playoffs this year ? I think so, but others may differ ?
But if it's over, let Schaub rest & heal along with AJ and hold them both out until after the bye-week next month. If Rosenfels plays and looks good in the next few games, maybe we'd get an offer for him from another team we couldn't refuse. Sorta like the one ATL got for Schaub earlier this year.

Man, Texans have the same record as the Chargers (well almost).....I think you could make playoffs...Captain Obvious says you need to win though
HWY95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #17
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless there's an extreme risk, Schaub needs to start.

You have got to find out about your QB's durability sooner rather later.

You have to be smart about it, yes, but it's part of football.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Unless there's an extreme risk, Schaub needs to start.

You have got to find out about your QB's durability sooner rather later.

You have to be smart about it, yes, but it's part of football.
This is true. Tom Brady has been Probable with a shoulder injury for years now, and he manages to get things done without upsetting it. Of course, their O-line is lightyears ahead of ours, so it is not as much of a concern.
Old 10-25-2007   #19
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 207976 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

If we had a decent line that could protect our QB, yeah bring back Schaub as soon as possible. But we don't have a good OL, so I would just rest Schaub. He's not going anywhere, he is our starter for the next 10 years. Let him have a break before he gets thrown to the wolves again.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 277266 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
With the AFC being as strong as it is, the only chance we'd have would be a wildcard berth since Indy is a hands down lock to win the South. I do not think we have the talent to be consistent enough to beat out our other two division rivals, much less the rest of the AFC. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of the AFC wildcard teams have 10-6 records or better.

We've got to take it game by game and do what is best for our team - within reason - to try to win each game. IMHO, it is not within reason to put an injured QB behind a line that cannot protect him and an offense that lacks any resemblance of a running game.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read