Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2007   #41
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gado Waived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Boyd would make a better emergency QB than Daniels.
Thats what I said.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #42
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If the linemen don't practice as well as the starters I'm not in favor of playing them at the expense of sending our QB's to any more hospitals as well.
As long as the evaluation is correct and based on the right factors. I find it hard to believe that there is no one better than Flanagan. Almost as hard as it was to believe that McKinney and Flanagan were in a tight battle for the starting position in camp. When I consider all of the ballyhoo about Black when he signed, it is disappointing - though not surprising to me - that he isn't having a (positive) impact.
Old 10-23-2007   #43
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Who is this Boyd guy? Is he on our PSquad? If so, do you have a bio of him?
Old 10-23-2007   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember him. I thought he looked pretty good, too.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #45
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217185 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
He was with the Cards in the pre-season.

Kinda short, though.

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaneboyd...s?id=BOY323870
Old 10-23-2007   #46
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
As long as the evaluation is correct and based on the right factors. I find it hard to believe that there is no one better than Flanagan. Almost as hard as it was to believe that McKinney and Flanagan were in a tight battle for the starting position in camp. When I consider all of the ballyhoo about Black when he signed, it is disappointing - though not surprising to me - that he isn't having a (positive) impact.
That's true, McKinney has been outplaying Flanagan for a year now. Hard to believe it was a tough decision in camp....hopefully it was just lip service and respect to an aging vet. Black is playing on the special teams. I figured they would have him out there a bit more since Salaam seems to wear down considerably as the game progresses.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #47
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda see the Morency-Gado trade in the Babin-Boulware category.

Texans were trying to get someone who would work with Sherman's stuff.

GB was trying to get a quick back to be a change of pace back to work with their new ZBS.

Morency is a really small dude, not much taller than me. Allegedly, he packed on 10 lbs of muscle this offseason in GB, an amount that sounded like it would slow him down because he was already very rocked up.

From what I understood, Morency was not happy with the new regime so they wanted to get rid of a disgruntlement.
Old 10-23-2007   #48
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just ran across this and I thought it was a decent summary.

Quote:
Shane Boyd QB, #9
Ht/Wt: 6-4 265, Team: Arizona Cardinals (Signed as UDFA by Tennessee in 2005), Current Status: 3rd String
College: Kentucky

BQB-Site's View: After stints with the Steelers (Cut in 2006) and Titans (Cut in 2005 after signing as an undrafted free agent), Shane Boyd is trying to stick with the Cardinals as a developmental quarterback. The Cardinals already have entrenched starter Matt Leinart and veteran backup Kurt Warner, so he will be competing with rookie Tony Korobi to make the team and get a chance to learn and stay on an NFL roster. A good athlete who has size and speed, Boyd maybe asked to convert to another position. For now he is in camp and competing. We believe he is a “Developmental Type” QB that needs to get snaps to improve. He may need to play in NFL Europa, AFL, or CFL to learn the position, because he did not start until late in his career at Kentucky. He has the size and arm strength of McNair, but he was very erratic in college. He was stuck behind Jared Lorenzen and playing baseball in the spring hurt him in his development. He has an extremely strong arm (Relief Pitcher) and can move for a “Big” man. Runs with good power for a quarterback, possesses excellent bulk for a quarterback and flashes the ability to break tackles. May be asked to lined up at receiver or running back, which he has experience doing in college. Has good versatility and can be used on Special Teams.

Strengths: Great Size, Mobile, Strong arm, and Team Player (Other Positions).
Weaknesses: Turnovers, Needs to Spread Ball Around, and Needs to Learn How to Slide or Get Out of Bounds When Running.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #49
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He was with the Cards in the pre-season.

Kinda short, though.

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaneboyd...s?id=BOY323870
Thanks for the link. Is he on our squad now, or is he on the street?
Old 10-23-2007   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Is he on our squad now, or is he on the street?
I haven't seen anything official, yet.
Old 10-23-2007   #51
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Shermans other pal center Flanagan should be right behind him, but of course that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Should be, but can't be. Unfortunately, Centers, unlike RB's, are not a "dime a dozen" type commodity that can be cut and replaced on a whim. And the good ones are already playing for someone else. Sure, I'd like to see what White can do at Center, but until they draft or get a FA Center, we are stuck with Flanagan. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #52
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Should be, but can't be. Unfortunately, Centers, unlike RB's, are not a "dime a dozen" type commodity that can be cut and replaced on a whim. And the good ones are already playing for someone else. Sure, I'd like to see what White can do at Center, but until they draft or get a FA Center, we are stuck with Flanagan. JMHO!

Maybe one of the 'smarter teams' has one stashed on their PS.

Nah...our gm would have discovered him by now.

Old 10-23-2007   #53
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know what you are looking at because when I watch both backs it looks like one has a place in the league somewhere and one looks like a budding doctor who is looking to finish medical school.
That's what I said over the summer and I got royally chewed out by 90% of the posters....oh, wait a second...that was at the OTHER board. My bad.

I'm with Vinny. I've felt this way since the news came out that Gado was taking the MCAT over the summer: He should have been asked to quietly leave and to go pursue the degree.

Why we wasted a roster spot on him, I will never know. You can't serve two masters, and the NFL is a demanding master all by itself.

By the way, signing Echemeegimongo is not going to do anything for us.

(yawn)
Old 10-23-2007   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
does the opposite for me...it's depressing when the team can't see how worthless he is in camp and wait till halfway through the year to make a move.
Yep.

It really inspires LESS confidence when you sit there and think that the staff will let dead weight hang around THIS long.

Weren't we promised by Kubiak that it would become harder and harder for players to "make this team"?

The endless stream of pitiful prospects has taekn its toll on Kubiak: He dumps Lundy, a guy he said "has that look in his eyes," and then falls in love with Gado and Dayne, even going so far as to say that Gado is "doing all the right things..." and now he really likes Eechimeechimongo's ability to play special teams.

I am beginning to notice a pattern.

<< >> % << >> (what comes next in this sequence?)
Old 10-23-2007   #55
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need the center and the rest of the Oline to get the running game on track. How can Mckinney be the wall and the others be this terrible.
Old 10-23-2007   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Boyd was making our defense look pretty silly in the preseason.

Granted, it was preseason and it was Richard Smith's defense, but I still have images in my mind of him ducking away from the rush, darting into the flat, and hitting receivers. Several times.

He was moving the ball down the field.

This is actually the first logical acquisition I've seen in awhile.

It appears to be a good move, IMO. I'll take a mobile QB with the current state of our oline. Those guys burned all their fuel in weeks 1 and 2.

Sage is on his way out (on a stretcher) unless he can remember the three-step drop on every pass play.
Old 10-23-2007   #57
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
We need the center and the rest of the Oline to get the running game on track. How can Mckinney be the wall and the others be this terrible.
I know...

It's amazing.

I didn't think that he was THAT important, either.

But Flanagan is an obvious failure.
Old 10-23-2007   #58
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Texan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It's amazing.

I didn't think that he was THAT important, either.
I finally understood McKinney's importance to the run game on Feb. 8, 2006. I was shocked then, but not any more. I grew used to the idea.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...ney#post271930
Old 10-23-2007   #59
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Chris White any good right now?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #60
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Is Chris White any good right now?

I'm sorry to say this but I think if he was any good "right now" he'd be starting for us. I'm actually starting to wonder if Drew Hodgdon is still available. Sure he's as bad as Flannagan but he's younger. He might be getting beat regularly but at least it wouldn't be from exhaustion.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read