Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 10-23-2007   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anybody want to see us trade down this year!?

It goes without saying that its tough to find a partner to trade with...they have to really want somebody and offer us something comperable. We have to find more value in the draft picks we're receiving than the players that are on the board.

I would love to see us trade down this year. For arguements sake let's pretend we're picking about 17th and our top prospects are off the board (ex. no elite LT's..Long/Baker/Clady, no McFadden or Stewart, Dan Connor and Kenny Phillips have been selected already too.)

Atlanta has the #4 pick in the draft...somehow McFadden slips to them...although they have Norwood (good and young) and Dunn (getting old)- McFadden is too good to pass up so they select him. The trick here is having a player at #17 that ATL really wants to trade us their 2 2nd round picks (theirs and ours). Say Andre Woodson fell to our spot and ATL came calling.

Would you trade our #17 overall (950 pts) for Atlanta's 2nd round pick (36 overall-540 pts) and our original 2nd round pick (49 overall-410pts).

With those picks, we select Tony Hills- OT-Texas and Ray Rice- RB-Rutgers.

What do you guys think!? Now after you're done saying how dumb I am- what players would you want to target in the 2nd round or late first if we trade down and recoup some draft picks.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Anybody want to see us trade down this year!?

If we selected Tony Hills in the second round I'd be estatic...

Not for the team, but for him...
Old 10-23-2007   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It goes without saying that its tough to find a partner to trade with...they have to really want somebody and offer us something comperable. We have to find more value in the draft picks we're receiving than the players that are on the board.

I would love to see us trade down this year. For arguements sake let's pretend we're picking about 17th and our top prospects are off the board (ex. no elite LT's..Long/Baker/Clady, no McFadden or Stewart, Dan Connor and Kenny Phillips have been selected already too.)

Atlanta has the #4 pick in the draft...somehow McFadden slips to them...although they have Norwood (good and young) and Dunn (getting old)- McFadden is too good to pass up so they select him. The trick here is having a player at #17 that ATL really wants to trade us their 2 2nd round picks (theirs and ours). Say Andre Woodson fell to our spot and ATL came calling.

Would you trade our #17 overall (950 pts) for Atlanta's 2nd round pick (36 overall-540 pts) and our original 2nd round pick (49 overall-410pts).

What do you guys think!? Now after you're done saying how dumb I am- what players would you want to target in the 2nd round or late first if we trade down and recoup some draft picks.
Im not sold on Tony Hills. He is incredibly athletic but his technique can be horrendous at times. Obviously the best o-lineman for Texas right now, but thats not sayin much this year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #4
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Im not sold on Tony Hills. He is incredibly athletic but his technique can be horrendous at times. Obviously the best o-lineman for Texas right now, but thats not sayin much this year.
When I was in highschool, our coach called him the worst blocker on the team...

Of course he was overexaggerating, but his pass blocking was always suspect....

Of course he was a TE at the time as well....
Old 10-23-2007   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

i have a better question.. who doesn't ever want to trade down?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My first thought was no way. I guess it depended on who was available at each of the three picks and you just can't know that. I like two picks, but I want a sure fire starter with our first pick whenever and whoever it is.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

Given your scenero (early in the process- realistic) Rick Smith should seriously consider this because he could upgrade two starting positions of dire need for this team. my early 2nd rd board would include addressing RCB (move Faggins to nickle) with Aqib Talib, Kansas then replace the injured (probably career over) McKinney & a step slower Flanagan with the one elite Center in the draft Cal's Alex Mack (Chris White remains as back-up).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2007   #8
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

like 90% of fans want to trade down. every team.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh God - A draft a Longhorn/Aggie/<Insert Local U. here> thread in week 8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

60% of the time, it works every time.

And no this isn't a draft any longhorn/aggie/UofH homer thread.

I'm not an expert at all but am realistic. From what i've read Tony Hills seems to be a good fit for our team...y'alls comments are helpful b/c it seems a lot don't like his skill set. I have not paid attention to him playing yet.

The basis is not pretending we're going to have some great talent in the 2nd round that at this point in time we know isn't going to happen.

Ryan Clady and Sam Baker seem to be the top talent for LT in what we're looking for. We may have a shot at them in the first (again..this far in advance)...but I'm not about to say we get Clady in the 2nd round b/c from what I've read...he will probably go in the 1st.

I'm just trying to be realistic in who we could get and who would really help this team out...If hills isn't the LT for us..then who is projecting late first/early 2nd right now? Michael Oher is someone I'm really high on, but he hasn't done too well from what I've seen....and I truly think he stays his senior year.

beerlover- Thanks for your comment on the Center from Cal- Alex Mack. I think Center is a big need for us and really wanted Ryan Kalil last year...I thought he'd go late first early second though.

From what I've seen, Ray Rice has impressed me. IMO, I wouldn't want us to pick a top 20 pick on him but picking him at the top of the 2nd would be good value. This guy can carry the load and is the style of RB I want for this team...but he doesn't seem to have the breakaway speed every play to push him into the top half of the 1st.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #11
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

The dude from Wake Forest is supposably a good ZBS center.

Trading down is tempting but I think it depends on which juniors declare.

Last edited by rollinstone18; 10-23-2007 at 09:04 PM.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
I don't understand that though. I'd rather not. Alteast with a high selection I know there is a better chance of the team getting a guy who can be a game breaker. Game breakers are what this team really needs...we have enough "role players".
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #13
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
The dude from Wake Forest is supposably a good ZBS center.

Trading down is tempting but I think it depends on which juniors declare.
Steve Justice

http://wakeforestsports.cstv.com/spo...e_steve00.html
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Exactly. Teams see the same logic that we fans do, but other teams are not in that big of a hurry to trade up. That said, our best opportunity to trade down for extra picks is actually if we are further from the top of the draft, not closer.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #15
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 55704 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Can we close this thread and reopen it in January?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Clady is moving up the boards. Better set your sights a little lower like Dunbar of Aurburn, Hills of sodom on towne lake, IF we use first round pick on an OLT. Remeber, Pace has broken down and Ogden has a toe. Gaither might make the switch to OLT. I gotta see it before I believe it. So there are at least two teams looking at an upgrade. Walter Jones isn't a spring chicken any more either. I like the Marshal center if we're looking for someone like Mckinney. There's an aggie on the boards for a center prospect also. There's no doubt that the Justice is the pulm at center for a ZBS team. He can flat out run. And he gets them in the dirt when he gets there.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007ots.html

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007ocs.html
Old 10-24-2007   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Another thought is that there are only a hand full of prospects this year at QB.
Baltimore, Atlanta and Minniesota need up grades. We might just end up in the cats bird seat if we're lucky to be in the 5 through seven slot. We might get to eat our cake and get the CB or center also.

You all get a chance to look at Neveda the remainder of the season the guy at QB has an arm.
Old 10-24-2007   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Clady is moving up the boards. Better set your sights a little lower like Dunbar of Aurburn, Hills of sodom on towne lake, IF we use first round pick on an OLT. Remeber, Pace has broken down and Ogden has a toe. Gaither might make the switch to OLT. I gotta see it before I believe it. So there are at least two teams looking at an upgrade. Walter Jones isn't a spring chicken any more either. I like the Marshal center if we're looking for someone like Mckinney. There's an aggie on the boards for a center prospect also. There's no doubt that the Justice is the pulm at center for a ZBS team. He can flat out run. And he gets them in the dirt when he gets there.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007ots.html

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007ocs.html

King Dunbar has not been playing well at all this year. He actually lost his starting job to a freshman until the freshman got injured. A lot of the O-line guys that were hyped pre-season are not playing very well this year.
Old 10-24-2007   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

mayposably
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #20
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 93152 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

To the original question, I would say, yes,

This team still needs a lot of help and the draft remains the best place to get it. (for the long haul)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read