Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2007   #141
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fires in San Diego could affect upcoming game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I talked to a girl that I used to date (who tailgated with me a few weeks ago) that now lives in Orange County (Newport Beach) and she can see smoke and such from where she lives. Jim Rome talked about being able to see flames and smoke from near his house.

At this point, the game should not be played in California - period..
I agree 100%!! My brother who is a Marine says LA is just as bad as San Diego.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #142
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #143
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

From the San Diego Union-Tribune:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...4chargers.html

Quote:
The Chargers expect to hear today from Mayor Jerry Sanders whether they can play their scheduled game against the Houston Texans in Qualcomm Stadium, and they are narrowing down contingencies for playing elsewhere.
Quote:
The game could be played at Houston's Reliant Stadium. That would likely guarantee a big gate, but the Chargers are concerned about the competitive disadvantage in making the Texans the home team and “would like to avoid” playing there.

Quote:
It appears likely the Chargers will end up playing in Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, if they can't play at home, sources said last night. The Cowboys have a bye Sunday.

Dallas makes sense because the game would likely draw more fans than would a game in Arizona, which would ease the financial losses the Chargers will incur. Also, the Chargers would count on the fact LaDainian Tomlinson is from Waco and went to school at nearby TCU, as well as Dallas fans' acrimony for Houston, to ensure the crowd is not pro-Texans.
Quote:
The game could also be played Monday night, though there are several factors that would complicate that. Monday is the date of the fifth game of the World Series, there is already a scheduled Monday night game on ESPN, and CBS would have to alter its plans to show the game in at least San Diego and Houston.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #144
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
How can I say this, look at last week and the attendance!
How can WE say this so that you'll understand. Last weeks attendance both paid AND actual was outstanding! People leave games early when their team is getting blown out...period.

What looks good on TV means far less to the NFL than TV share does. Gate revenue is a distant second.
Old 10-24-2007   #145
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The game could be played at Houston's Reliant Stadium. That would likely guarantee a big gate, but the Chargers are concerned about the competitive disadvantage in making the Texans the home team and “would like to avoid” playing there.
Okay.... Rice Stadium??!?!
Old 10-24-2007   #146
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.

I don't know about you, but I would LOVE for the game to be here in Houston and I can pretty much say with a 99.5% that I spend more on my tickets and my tailgating than you do.

I also feel the game would do better here in Houston than it would in Dallas or AZ. Nobody in Dallas want the Texans in their stadium. My wife is up there right now for business and they are tearing up the sports radio with having the chance that they would have to watch the Texans as their AFC game because it would be their regional game.
Old 10-24-2007   #147
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Okay.... Rice Stadium??!?!
Nah, how about "The Rig" in Pearland.
Old 10-24-2007   #148
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
I don't know about you, but I would LOVE for the game to be here in Houston and I can pretty much say with a 99.5% that I spend more on my tickets and my tailgating than you do.

I also feel the game would do better here in Houston than it would in Dallas or AZ. Nobody in Dallas want the Texans in their stadium. My wife is up there right now for business and they are tearing up the sports radio with having the chance that they would have to watch the Texans as their AFC game because it would be their regional game.
The game will not be in Houston due to the nasty fall out from moving the Saints V Gaints game to New York after Katrina. I think that most of us even bashed the NFL for giving the Giants an extra home game.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #149
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
How can WE say this so that you'll understand. Last weeks attendance both paid AND actual was outstanding! People leave games early when their team is getting blown out...period.

What looks good on TV means far less to the NFL than TV share does. Gate revenue is a distant second.
Paying for season tickets and for one game weeks, if not months in advance is one thing. This is a spur of the moment thing.

The Texans are playing very poorly and the fan base is not enthastic. that is a fact!

They'll probably sell thing out, but by a few individuals buying tickets for some charity thing.

I don't think you are going to see the normal home crowd, which doesn't pack it in anyway and support the team unconditionally.

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance! How is this any different?
Old 10-24-2007   #150
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Paying for season tickets and for one game weeks, if not months in advance is one thing. This is a spur of the moment thing.

The Texans are playing very poorly and the fan base is not enthastic. that is a fact!

They'll probably sell thing out, but by a few individuals buying tickets for some charity thing.

I don't think you are going to see the normal home crowd, which doesn't pack it in anyway and support the team unconditionally.

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance!
Lol don't support the team unconditionally...we've sold it out 5 years straight and counting and have never had a winning season. Do you not know that? People will show up because games still have meaning right now, and people have been showing up.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #151
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
The game will not be in Houston due to the nasty fall out from moving the Saints V Gaints game to New York after Katrina. I think that most of us even bashed the NFL for giving the Giants an extra home game.
You say that like you know with 100% conviction, but the young lady I spoke to at the Texans didn't sound like you. She gave me the feeling that the game had more of a chance being played there than elsewhere.
Old 10-24-2007   #152
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance!
You said it. They would probably sell the thing out. Even if it lacks the total feel of a home game,etc....who cares if it isn't totally like a normal home crowd. THESE ARE NOT NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Yet, it would still be BETTER than anywhere else but San Diego. That is the whole point!

Who cares anyway.... San Diego does NOT want the game in Houston because they do not want to give us the extra added home field advantage.
Old 10-24-2007   #153
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You are one person.

I am season ticket holder since 2002 and live in LA. I get to go to about 2 home games a year and go to several road games. So, if you wanna question my intensity as a Texan fan, you are barking up the wrong tree. Maybe you spend more money... What does that mean anyway????

I have very nice seats, and sometimes I have a hard time giving them away!

Why are people going to be more exicted this game than any other regular season game considering how this team is playing? And the game is on short notice...
Old 10-24-2007   #154
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1) My point is this, selling this game out through charity at reduced prices is very different from selling out a regular season game.

2) People plan for these games weeks, if not months in advance. I really don't see Houston fans rearranging their schedules to see a mediocre team at best play a top tier team in the AFC.

3) Season ticket holders spend enough money and time, asking for another weekend it a bit much on short notice given the current state of affairs.

4) So, that means the normal crowd probably isn't going be there in full force, which isn't a full house anyway.

5) Expecting Reliant Stadium to be rocking is bit a much when it doesn't even happen for a game scheduled months in advance.

6) That is why I think it would be embarrassing. Everyone will want to see some part of this game, and the stadium more than likely, will be half full with luke warm fan support.

7) Not to mention the home team getting pounded into the ground is a very good possibility.

8) I think it is a bad idea to play the game in Houston from Bob McNair's perspective.
1) whatever revenue that is generated will be better than nothing.
2) a) you underestimate football fans here, and b) While the Texans may be mediocre, so to are the Chargers at 3-3.
3) I know exactly what I spend every year, and if asked to come up with an extre $175.00 (which is reg. price) for an impromptu game, I would in a heart beat..
4) Whatever the attendance would be at Reliant on a moments notice would far exceed a game in Dallas, Pheonix and more than likely LA...
5) I know you have been to some games, but I'm not sure which where the crowd wasn't rocking - unless the game was out of reach... But until that point, I know Reliant is loud..
6) Again, you underestimate the core fan base. It would be far from luke warm AND even if the stadium was not full, it still would be way more than Pheonix or Dallas would draw..
7) Well, I guess we shouldn't play the games than... I mean upsets 'never' happen..
8) No matter how wrong your opinion is, you are entitled to it...
Old 10-24-2007   #155
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:

You guys act like this is some huge surprise Christmas present. The fan base gets eight of these games every year, and the support is not that high for the ones scheduled months in advance! How is this any different?
Dude you are crazy and just looking to stir things up. Fans in Houston may come into the stadium slowly but this city loves the team and will show up if the game is here.
Old 10-24-2007   #156
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
You said it. They would probably sell the thing out. Even if it lacks the total feel of a home game,etc....who cares if it isn't totally like a normal home crowd. THESE ARE NOT NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. Yet, it would still be BETTER than anywhere else but San Diego. That is the whole point!

Who cares anyway.... San Diego does NOT want the game in Houston because they do not want to give us the extra added home field advantage.
Look, you talk of this like it a slam dunk.

It isn't.

Also, it could be embarrasing regarding the fan support.

In addition, I am sure there are some San Diego player and fans that could find better spot than Houston!

You are talking in absolutes.
Old 10-24-2007   #157
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Quote:
Dude you are crazy and just looking to stir things up. Fans in Houston may come into the stadium slowly but this city loves the team and will show up if the game is here.
Hell yeah I would be there! I am starting to think this guy is simply upset that the game may not be played in Cali now.
Old 10-24-2007   #158
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I have very nice seats, and sometimes I have a hard time giving them away!
If that were true, I bet Joe could find someone to use them - I know I can find someone.. Heck, I'm sure a lot of people in Blue Crew could help unload them for you...
Old 10-24-2007   #159
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

The last place San Diego wants to play is Houston, and if the NFL lets them pick between Dallas and Houston the game will be in Dallas.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #160
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nah, how about "The Rig" in Pearland.
Nice!!!

Anybody catch that Cy-Falls v. Cy-Fair game on ESPN2 last week.. Berry or Barry Stadium looks beautiful...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read