Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-26-2007   #321
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fires in San Diego could affect upcoming game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I try my best to be a McNair fan, but he really concerns me at times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3077884

WTF is this logic for the present and the future? Is he a businessman or Julie the Cruise Director?
I am in total agreement with Mr Mcnair on this. I just know the NFL won't let the game be played in Houston and especially not on a monday night. I have convinced myself that the NFL is anti-Houston anyway. My reasons for feeling this way is the fact that they gave LA many chances to get it together even after Mr Mcnair and his crew had everything ready to go. Even after they reluctantly awarded us the team the still didn't give us the advantages they gave the panthers and the jaguars. I really feel the NFL doesn't want to see Mcnair get to big to fast. We might not ever have won anything yet, but still have sellouts for all the games, and put on a nice show in hosting the superbowl. Why didn't we get awarded the 2009 Superbowl again? Maybe they see as soon as the superbowl is over, 3 weeks later the reliant stadium is soldout for 20+ days with the rodeo. NFL office are jealous thats all. The Giants had 9 home games during the Katrina year. Oh but that is a NYC team. I am behind Mcnair and not godell and those clowns in nyc.

Last edited by ubecool454; 10-26-2007 at 08:30 AM.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #322
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Getting prime time exposure via altruism is as win win as it gets. Play the game in San Diego or LA on Monday Night.
Old 10-26-2007   #323
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

WTF is this logic for the present and the future? Is he a businessman or Julie the Cruise Director?
I believe he is looking out for the best interests of his team.
Old 10-26-2007   #324
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting prime time exposure via altruism is as win win as it gets. Play the game in San Diego or LA on Monday Night.
Playing on monday night on the west coast puts my beloved texans at a disadvantage that was not planned in advance. I realize teams that play on monday night have are at a slight disadvantage being that they have a short week to prepare for the next game but, they can plan around it because the schedule is made in advance.
ubecool454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #325
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's just truthful. Monday Night games, though a spotlight on teams, are harder on teams.

BTW, my biggest concern with it in San Diego is the air quality. You don't want to encourage people to be sitting outside in an area where the air quality is poor. And given Ahman Green's asthma issues, he might average 1.5 ypc instead of 3.5.
Old 10-26-2007   #326
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

3 hour and 15 minute direct flight from SoCal to Houston. We have a young team. The area could use an extra day.

Not having it as an option is ridiculous in my opinion. Using it as a bargaining chip is another matter, but since I have been a fan of the Texans I have never considered McNair a master of negotiations around football.
Old 10-26-2007   #327
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
3 hour and 15 minute direct flight from SoCal to Houston. We have a young team. The area could use an extra day.

Not having it as an option is ridiculous in my opinion. Using it as a bargaining chip is another matter, but since I have been a fan of the Texans I have never considered McNair a master of negotiations around football.
I don't think he was bargaining. I think he was just stating what his preference was.
Old 10-26-2007   #328
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I don't think he was bargaining. I think he was just stating what his preference was.
Quote:
"That would mean if we played somewhere on the West Coast, other than Houston on a Monday night, we'd get back Tuesday," McNair added.
Sounds like he was bargaining to me
Old 10-26-2007   #329
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
CBS won't air it. They would never get permission to preempt prime time programming for low rating football from their home office.

I would guess ESPN2 or NFLN.
790 this morning said CBS would still have the rights, and would still air it in Houston and San Diego only.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #330
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
790 this morning said CBS would still have the rights, and would still air it in Houston and San Diego only.
Yeah!!! Finally something.....

(although not peer reviewed)
Old 10-26-2007   #331
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
what happened to the alamodome?
It doesn't meet the instant replay requirements.
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #332
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
That's been the tradition. Local markets (Hometowns of the teams in question) are guaranteed to have it aired as if nothing had happened. The rest of the State / Country is at the mercy of the networks.
TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #333
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Article in today's San Diego paper

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s26canepa.html

Quote:
It's difficult to write or even think about sports today, but this seems the perfect time. The Chargers' Sunday game here against the Houston Texans has been in danger of being moved, maybe to Dallas – even more ridiculous, to Houston – what with all the smoke and the Qualcomm Stadium site housing thousands of fire refugees.

But Mayor Jerry Sanders reportedly has cleared Qualcomm for play this weekend. Maybe Monday night. Qualcomm's evacuees will be gone by then. Maybe the smoke, due to on-shore winds, also will be. So what's the holdup? Decide. This is Friday. There are logistical concerns.

The game must be here.

For three hours or so, San Diegans who care about their team perhaps can forget about their woes and their worries. That's a welcome three hours. It's something. Something is good right about now.

The football team could catch a break, because if this thing is moved to Dallas, it will be a Texans home game. That's right. Don't for a minute believe otherwise.

I've heard all the bull, that Texas is LaDainian Tomlinson's home turf and the fans will flock to see him play. I've heard Dallas hates Houston, and vice versa, so to it will not be a hostile environment for the Chargers. Again, bull.

Dallas is about a 250-mile drive from Houston. The Cowboys have a bye. Why would their fans care a hoot about the Chargers and Texans being in their vicinity? It will be Houston's game. Moving it to Dallas would be astonishingly ignorant.
Quote:
As it is, no matter what they say, the team's players had to be affected by these fires. Forty-seven members of this organization had to evacuate their houses. Among the players, not one is homeless today. They knew that by Wednesday.

For them to leave Phoenix today after a practice, fly home, see what's going on in their neighborhood, and then fly out tomorrow to Texas would be a recipe for defeat. The Texans aren't the Patriots, but they aren't the Rams and Dolphins, either.

Supposedly, this has become a three-way thing, a political menage a trois between the Chargers, the mayor and the NFL. But The League should have nothing to do with it. I can't understand why Goodell would want this game in Texas. And I can't believe the Spanoses would want it there when they can play in their house.

If this franchise moves, it won't be to Dallas. L.A. is out of this particular scenario. No one left to impress.

Make a damn decision already.
Old 10-26-2007   #334
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

I get the sense that everyone would like to do this on Monday except for McNair.
Old 10-26-2007   #335
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I will stick to my belief that the game should be played as close to SD as possible, whether that be Sunday or Monday, who cares. It's their home game, NOT OURS, and truthfully, I don't want to see THEM as the home team in our stadium! Our guys will just have to suck it up and handle a little extra pressure if it is on Monday. They get paid well for doing whatever it is they have to do. Whining about playing on Monday night being a disadvantage just because they have two games back to back on the West coast just doesn't sound very professional to me. JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #336
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get the sense that everyone would like to do this on Monday except for McNair.
And us out of town fans, as Monday screws us on TV (unless the NFL Sunday Ticket package carries it...then it's baack to the sports bar).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #337
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Why don't we simply play the game in Htown this year? Then in a few years when we play again, the game will be in SD? IE this year we get 9 home games and they get 7. That year we get 7 home and they get 9? A simple solution that works out evenly.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #338
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Why don't we simply play the game in Htown this year? Then in a few years when we play again, the game will be in SD? IE this year we get 9 home games and they get 7. That year we get 7 home and they get 9? A simple solution that works out evenly.
Dont try to bring in a common sense thought to a bunch of californians....
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #339
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, they at least gave us a sort of backhanded compliment.

Quote:
The Texans aren't the Patriots, but they aren't the Rams and Dolphins, either.
Old 10-26-2007   #340
Baga21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Well, they at least gave us a sort of backhanded compliment.
We're only a Tom Brady and some nice hi-tech surveillance equipment away!!
Baga21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read