Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-24-2007   #201
rockabilly
Veteran

Rep Power: 432 rockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respectedrockabilly is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fires in San Diego could affect upcoming game

I asked local tv station who is supposed to show the game, what would happen TV wise - this is the response i just received.

"Due to the fires in Southern California, the NFL is still undecided on the time or venue for the Texans/Chargers game that is scheduled to be played in San Diego this Sunday. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the options include playing the game in Los Angeles, at Arizona State's Sun Devil Stadium -- the Cardinals' former home -- at Texas Stadium in Dallas or Reliant Stadium, the Texans' home field.

We will not know about the scheduling of this game until some time tomorrow….There’s a chance the game could be scheduled in the evening on Sunday or Monday….if that’s the case, then we will move all Texas stations to the Indianapolis/Carolina game at 12 noon on Sunday and you will not have a late game that day…."
rockabilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #202
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane View Post
Texas Stadium? That makes absolutely no sense...
They want to keep it in an NFL venue. Something about the HDTV. Also, the Chargers were prety adimate about giving up the home feild advantage for the game. As of tonight AS is reporting that the two Stadiums are Texas stadium and Relaint. Sherriff Rodger is letting the local mayor make the call as to whether or not they can keep the game in SD. Dallas represents a nuetral sight. they'll take a bath on the tickets though. If it ain't got a star on the helmit, Dallas don't go.

Not to be flipant, be a great PR for SW or American airlines to line up the planes at the SD airport and ship in the Bolts fans at a 100 bucks a head. I don't know how the seating chart would workout but shipping in 30 k Bolts fans would give them enough of an edge. 'Course if your dreams are blowin in ashes in the wind, the last thing you're thinking about is hopping a plane for a ball game.

If the SD mayor is a Dem, he'll have to check with Dirty Harry to get a call on what he should do. Whatever makes it look like the fire is Bush's fault, that's the way he'll go.
Old 10-25-2007   #203
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Three,

Your SW promotional idea is absolutely brilliant. Don't know if it is logistically possible, but it is a great idea.

I am beginning to think that they might be able to play the game in SD on Monday. It seems as if many of those that had to evacuate are beginning to head home. I don't think they could make it by Sunday, but Monday night might give them enough time to ensure everyone can safely get home...
Old 10-25-2007   #204
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Fires in San Diego could affect upcoming game

I would quote myself, but don't know what page it was on - is Monday in SD being kicked around? I would be willing to bet the NFL would rather move the game than have to play it Monday.

Also, if Monday in SD, why not Sunday in SD?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #205
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I would quote myself, but don't know what page it was on - is Monday in SD being kicked around? I would be willing to bet the NFL would rather move the game than have to play it Monday.

Also, if Monday in SD, why not Sunday in SD?
I don't think Monday is an option for a few reasons a) there is already a MNF game of course b) Game 5 of the WS, if needed, will be on Monday, and c) CBS would have to shuffle it's primetime line-up, which would mean refunds to advertisers.

I think the game will be on Sunday.

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 10-25-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #206
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I don't think Monday is an option for a few reasons a) there is already a MNF game of course b) Game 5 of the WS, if neededm will be on Monday, and c) CBS would have to shuffle it's primetime line-up, whioch would mean refunds to advertisers.

I think the game will be on Sunday.
I agree, but I keep seeing "Monday in SD" in this thread.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Old 10-25-2007   #207
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
I agree, but I keep seeing "Monday in SD" in this thread.
It'd be cool if they did a Monday night game. I could actually go to it then. Shift work sucks.
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2007   #208
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I do too, and still hear it on the radio.... I'm with Yankee, if the game could be played in SD Monday, why not Sunday?? One day wont make that big of a difference given the magnitued of everything going on out there... The Mayor, Spanos and Goddell are shooting themselves in the foot by avoiding making a decision... Make it, live with it and move on.
Old 10-25-2007   #209
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I do too, and still hear it on the radio.... I'm with Yankee, if the game could be played in SD Monday, why not Sunday?? One day wont make that big of a difference given the magnitued of everything going on out there... The Mayor, Spanos and Goddell are shooting themselves in the foot by avoiding making a decision... Make it, live with it and move on.
There are a few issues that I could see make Monday a better option IF they were to play in SD: 1) another day to clear out the remaining residents who evacuated to the stadium - and then ready the facility for the game; 2) another day to ensure that air quality is clearing up; and 3) ensure that they can find enough law enforcement personnel to assist with gameday activities...
Old 10-25-2007   #210
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are a few issues that I could see make Monday a better option IF they were to play in SD: 1) another day to clear out the remaining residents who evacuated to the stadium - and then ready the facility for the game; 2) another day to ensure that air quality is clearing up; and 3) ensure that they can find enough law enforcement personnel to assist with gameday activities...
That would all make sense if they were any closer to actually putting the fires out...
Old 10-25-2007   #211
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Quote:
That would all make sense if they were any closer to actually putting the fires out...
With the winds shifting and increased manpower heading into the area, it appears that they are making great strides as the number of folks staying at the stadium has dramatically decreased. They are also expecting some rainfall in the next few days, which would be a huge boost.
Old 10-25-2007   #212
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
With the winds shifting and increased manpower heading into the area, it appears that they are making great strides as the number of folks staying at the stadium has dramatically decreased. They are also expecting some rainfall in the next few days, which would be a huge boost.
Understand all of that... Here's the deal, it's Thursday. The game is scheduled to kick-off in 76 1/2 hours (if Monday - 100 1/2 hours). That's not a whole lot of time, especially when there are variables such as 'they are expecting rain in the next few days', 'winds shifting', etc....

Sunday v. Monday isn't even my main point, making a decision is the most important thing. The Chargers AND Texans deserve to be told where and when the game will be played... NOW.
Old 10-25-2007   #213
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2317 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got word, fom my buddies that it will most likely not be in San Antonio because of prior agreement with someonelse for that day.

I think that is BS though. There is nothing going on there this Sunday. I think that agreement was the one they signed with Jerry Jones to get camp here.

Again that guy costs us here in SA. But from hearing the reports it would probably stay out west. It would look bad for the Chargers to come here because they have been rumored to be using SA as a bargaining chip to get a new stadium. I hate being used.

Where ever they play lets hope they can win. It would be great to be at .500 at the half way mark.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #214
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
I just got word, fom my buddies that it will most likely not be in San Antonio because of prior agreement with someonelse for that day.

I think that is BS though. There is nothing going on there this Sunday. I think that agreement was the one they signed with Jerry Jones to get camp here.

Again that guy costs us here in SA. But from hearing the reports it would probably stay out west. It would look bad for the Chargers to come here because they have been rumored to be using SA as a bargaining chip to get a new stadium. I hate being used.

Where ever they play lets hope they can win. It would be great to be at .500 at the half way mark.
The game would NEVER have been in SA because the Alamo Dome is not an NFL ready facility. The NFL spent alot of meoney this off season to get HD equipment in all of it's venues for instant reply. Same reason the game would never have been moved to LA.

The options are SD, Dallas or Houston.
Old 10-25-2007   #215
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

I agree with Hoth. Plus on the NFLN or BSPN, they never mentioned SA as even a remote possibility.
Old 10-25-2007   #216
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Understand all of that... Here's the deal, it's Thursday. The game is scheduled to kick-off in 76 1/2 hours (if Monday - 100 1/2 hours). That's not a whole lot of time, especially when there are variables such as 'they are expecting rain in the next few days', 'winds shifting', etc....

Sunday v. Monday isn't even my main point, making a decision is the most important thing. The Chargers AND Texans deserve to be told where and when the game will be played... NOW.
Exactly if the NFL requires you to have a sell out for the game to be televised locally they need to have it in place by the 72 hour black out rule. Would they make an exception in this case?

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #217
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
Exactly if the NFL requires you to have a sell out for the game to be televised locally they need to have it in place by the 72 hour black out rule. Would they make an exception in this case?
I would hope so (in regards to the black out rule).

Getting the poeple out of the evacuation centers isn't just about the fires. They need somewhere to go with running water, some electricity, emergency services, etc.

I'd be hugely impressed if they were able to pull all that off by Sunday, espically since the fires may be contained but they are not put out and the SDPD and SDFD have to be about spent ( I doubt they would then turn around and ask tem to work a football game on Sunday.)
Old 10-25-2007   #218
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shadows View Post
That's why I don't see the game being played on Sunday afternoon if it's not in San Diego. I think Sunday night/Monday night is the possibility if it's moved.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #219
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

It looks like the game will be played on sunday in San Diego.

"It appears increasingly likely the Chargers will play at home Sunday, as evacuees leave Qualcomm Stadium and the weather cooperates in diminishing the firestorm in the county.

Mayor Jerry Sanders will announce his decision as to whether to allow the Chargers to host the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium based upon the needs of the people who remain sheltered there. "

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...5chargers.html
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #220
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
It looks like the game will be played on sunday in San Diego.

"It appears increasingly likely the Chargers will play at home Sunday, as evacuees leave Qualcomm Stadium and the weather cooperates in diminishing the firestorm in the county.

Mayor Jerry Sanders will announce his decision as to whether to allow the Chargers to host the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium based upon the needs of the people who remain sheltered there. "

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...5chargers.html
Money money money mooooooooooooooooooooooney! (cue music)

Let's face it, the NFL does NOT care about its fans. Hopefully it will be in SD Sunday, so that people with travel plans aren't screwed.
117 C BullPen
Sigh.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read