Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 10-22-2007   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Vince Young QB Controversy?

I wrote something on FanHouse not intending to stir the pot but rather as a way to discuss something in a straight forward way.

David Carr when he was with the Texans had a lot of good will at first. Some of that came from the big throws against the Cowboys with a team of misfits and rejects around him.

But later, after times got much worse, everything that David Carr did got criticized. His body language on the field and how he interacted with his teammates. Though the national media view was that DC was a good QB with a poor offensive line, locally, people lost their good will with him much more quickly.

So, I'm sitting near the Titans bench yesterday, and notice how little Vince Young was interacting with his teammates. I like watching how players interact with their teammates, and that was about the least interaction that I've seen of any player throughout the course of the game. And it got me wondering about how it was for VY in Nashville. So I wrote this:

A Vince Young QB Controversy?

And though I didn't mention it because this is total speculation, is it possible that VY was listening to music during the game so he wasn't talking to anyone? I say that because the Getty Images picture looks that way:

The close up picture in Getty Images makes it easier to see than this one, but he definitely has an ear piece in.
Old 10-22-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Vince Young QB Controversy?

I donno but that was pretty much the first game the Titans have won in two years when Vince wasn't starting.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

He had that ear piece in all game.

He was either listening to play calls or music.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
He had that ear piece in all game.

He was either listening to play calls or music.
Yep, when they showed him every ten seconds you could clearly see his earpiece... not sure what he was listening to.

I have seen QB's doing it before. Has anyone ever heard of a player listening to music on the field?
Old 10-22-2007   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Good article though (just read thru it)...on Cutler I think he is probably moved to the best of that QB class based on how he looks right now.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #6
real

It was probably the earpiece that normally goes into the helmet, but since he wasn't going to play he just had it in his ear...

I seriously doubt that the Titans would be cool with him listening to music while the game was going on...
Old 10-22-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

I have seen lots of other "backup" QBs with an ear piece. I think they are just listening into the play calling. I thought VY standing off by himself was odd during the game.
Old 10-22-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Good article though (just read thru it)...on Cutler I think he is probably moved to the best of that QB class based on how he looks right now.
Thanks. I know Vince Young stuff is a touchy topic but I wanted to do a fair discussion that is a little more real than VY is Superman, No He Isn't because often the truth is not in the absolutes. I got this interesting comment:

Quote:
I was at the game and noticed the same thing. Strange for a 2nd year QB to be so distant. You would think he would want to continue to learn and even offer his input. I have always liked Vince except when he plays the Texans of course.

I am staring to think he is getting to be a little too full of himself. As a passer he has a long ways to go and needs to mature a bit.
Old 10-22-2007   #9
real

Quote:
I am staring to think he is getting to be a little too full of himself.
Sadly...

I'm thinking this part is true....
Old 10-22-2007   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
It was probably the earpiece that normally goes into the helmet, but since he wasn't going to play he just had it in his ear...

I seriously doubt that the Titans would be cool with him listening to music while the game was going on...
I would think so so that's why I didn't say anything.

But really, it is the least interaction I've ever seen of a QB on the sidelines. Carr could sometimes be standoffish on the sidelines, but in Carr in comparison looked like a politician. Rosenfels has always been very active on the sidelines--he is also someone I've heard discuss the unwritten rules for QB behavior.
Old 10-22-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I would think so so that's why I didn't say anything.

But really, it is the least interaction I've ever seen of a QB on the sidelines. Carr could sometimes be standoffish, but in Carr in comparison looked like a politician.
Oh, I 100% agree.

But I can kind of sorta understand where he was coming from as a player. I defnitely think he was being a little selfish though....

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I have a question....

Early in the game when Kerry Collins missed Demeco on that blitz and he fumbled I noticed VY meet him on the sideline and show that he disapproved...

Did you or anyone else happen to notice VY congratulating him after he made good plays ?
Old 10-22-2007   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Oh, I 100% agree.

But I can kind of sorta understand where he was coming from as a player. I defnitely think he was being a little selfish though....

I don't know if you noticed or not, but I have a question....

Early in the game when Kerry Collins missed Demeco on that blitz and he fumbled I noticed VY meet him on the sideline and show that he disapproved...

Did you or anyone else happen to notice VY congratulating him after he made good plays ?
Didn't see that one way or another. Though I am guessing VY was probably trying to make Collins feel better.

I really do not like the whole read body language sort of stuff, but really, it was shocking to me to see how little interaction he was doing with his teammates and coaches for someone who is a QB.
Old 10-22-2007   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Well after seeing Vince on "60 Minutes" he IS full of himself..whether one construes that as confidence or arrogance I guess is up to the person...
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

BTW, FanHouse has a forwarding function so if you want, you can forward this post or others to those people who might be interested in it.
Old 10-22-2007   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Random VY trivia. On PTI last week they said he and some basketball player bad both recently had their names tattooed across their backs.
Old 10-22-2007   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

meh...just because the cameras didn't catch him chatting with his teammates doesn't mean much. let's focus on his mediocre playing and not this nonsense.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #17
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Dont forget the Texans make horrible QBs look like hall of famers. If VY is out another week, whoever their next opponent is will bring Collins back to Earth.

Look what happened to:
Brunell
Harrington
Old 10-22-2007   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
meh...just because the cameras didn't catch him chatting with his teammates doesn't mean much. let's focus on his mediocre playing and not this nonsense.
I sat to the side of him. It's not the cameras catching him doing anything.

As you may know, I am not someone who is known as a VY hater. (though admittedly I do not care for the Titans). I am also someone on record that is very skeptical of body language sorts of observations. However.....

It was amazing how little he was interacting with his teammates and coaches. Seriously. When I sit behind benches, I pay attention to interaction of players with coaches.

He couldn't be standing any further away from everyone for most of the game. I haven't watched the TiVO of the game, and I don't know if this was something discussed on the TV at all, but he so rarely had guys around him it was like he hadn't taken a shower in a month.
Old 10-22-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren Moon never mingled with players on the sideline. He almost always found a spot on the end of the bench far from everyone else. It used to bother me that he wasn't doing what other QBs would do, like talking to his WRs or linemen, looking at overhead pictures, or talking strategy with his coordinator.
Old 10-22-2007   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Warren Moon never mingled with players on the sideline. He almost always found a spot on the end of the bench far from everyone else. It used to bother me that he wasn't doing what other QBs would do, like talking to his WRs or linemen, looking at overhead pictures, or talking strategy with his coordinator.
Moon not interacting with his team mates = no championships..... Coincidence?!?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read