Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-23-2007   #61
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak: Better Coach, Same Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Be very honest with me and tell me if you're not saying this out of a little bit of hindsight.
Marcus, when people express regret about the past...it's always hindsight. You can't not use hindsight when expressing regret about past mistakes. Some of your posts weird me out.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #62
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
the safety was (rightfully) giving petey cover.. the other guy was playing the short man (we blitzed 2).. our best cb was 1-on-1 with roydell williams and should've made a play given that collins had to get rid of the ball quickly and he had position.. it was one play that 9/10 is an incompletion/interception.. no need for all the added drama (best rb, wr lol- were we missing our 'best' safety?)

anyway i think most people in this thread are overreacting to a tough loss.. so i gues im still just sipping the kool-aid
we have more than one S on the field...and we should have been in at least a cover2 or even a cover3 in that situation. One deep doesn't cut it.

Old 10-23-2007   #63
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Be very honest with me and tell me if you're not saying this out of a little bit of hindsight.
Of course some hindsight is involved in that statement. I can't deny it and wouldn't dare do so. I did think the following at the time the events occured and spoke about it on the message board when they happened:

I thought the Texans were foolish to try and build around a rookie QB in 2002. I wanted them to draft Julius Peppers.

I complained loudly over the waste of a draft pick on Dave Ragone. Complete waste of a 3rd rounder right there and I've recently started to wonder if Casserly knew the Carr pick was a bad move even then. What other possible excuse could anyone offer for wasting a 3 on a QB one year after taking another QB first overall when drafting for a team as thin as the Texans? Casserly (and possibly Dom) took one year of David Carr and had an "Oh Crap!" moment (I suspect) and followed it with Dave Ragone. If they'd gone after one too soon it would have been admitting that they screwed up in 2002. Too late and they'd have a guy who was more likely to be useless. Ragone was the insurance policy. Then McNair fell in love with Carr and locked him into the starters role until he could no longer deny that David was incapable of doing it.

I raged over the trade that sent picks to Tennessee and got us Jason Babin. Those were 13 ridiculously expensive sacks there.

I raged again over the selection of Travis Johnson instead of Derrick Johnson the next year.

This past off-season I knew deep down in my gut (and thought it was obvious) that Ahman Green stood a strong chance of being on empty and I said as much. Here we are at 3-4 and averaging 70 something yards a game. Ahman Green is no more effective than Vernand Morency was before he was traded away for a guy who splits time with a FB because he's not ready to play when his number is called.

I've been wrong plenty too but I think that I'm just one of many people that this team has left scratching their heads year after year.
Old 10-23-2007   #64
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

But with regards to your first statement regarding "unrealistic expectations", what should we expect from THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS on our defensive line? We used high picks because we want a pass rush, yet it isn't happening. I think we have a right to EXPECT SOMETHING, and if it is unrealistic then I guess we should just golf clap for our defense and expect nothing from them. They can live up to those expectations.
The Washington Redskins have 4 first round picks in their secondary and it is dominant...it's the strength of the team. That's what loading up one position group is supposed to look like. I don't think anyone can say our D-line is dominant and the strength of our team.

Old 10-23-2007   #65
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
The Washington Redskins have 4 first round picks in their secondary and it is dominant...it's the strength of the team. That's what loading up one position group is supposed to look like. I don't think anyone can say our D-line is dominant and the strength of our team.
They also have a familiar face coaching their defense. Gregg Williams has always gotten his defenses in the top ten in the league. I'd take Williams in a heartbeat.

I don't think our players are being put in a situation to succeed. Sure, we can rag on them for bad play, but in the end, Richard Smith is the anchor taking this defense down to the bottom.
Old 10-23-2007   #66
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I complained loudly over the waste of a draft pick on Dave Ragone. Complete waste of a 3rd rounder right there and I've recently started to wonder if Casserly knew the Carr pick was a bad move even then. What other possible excuse could anyone offer for wasting a 3 on a QB one year after taking another QB first overall when drafting for a team as thin as the Texans? Casserly (and possibly Dom) took one year of David Carr and had an "Oh Crap!" moment (I suspect) and followed it with Dave Ragone. If they'd gone after one too soon it would have been admitting that they screwed up in 2002. Too late and they'd have a guy who was more likely to be useless. Ragone was the insurance policy. Then McNair fell in love with Carr and locked him into the starters role until he could no longer deny that David was incapable of doing it.
The Ragone and Henson picks were purely trade bait/commodity picks.

Casserly it just stupid, which is why he doesn't even do commentary for the NFL from what I can see.

Where is this guy?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #67
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
They also have a familiar face coaching their defense. Gregg Williams has always gotten his defenses in the top ten in the league. I'd take Williams in a heartbeat.

I don't think our players are being put in a situation to succeed. Sure, we can rag on them for bad play, but in the end, Richard Smith is the anchor taking this defense down to the bottom.
Coach Gibbs made him back off of his attacking style of defense since they were giving up too many big plays...he has been forced to play more cover2 and they don't blitz as much as Williams likes and it turns out the Skins defense is playing much better this year than in years past. Personally I think Williams does too many unsound things...but Gibbs has been good for him. Frankly I think Jeff Fisher was the main reason Williams was such a hot DC over in Titan land. He has never quite had the success as he had with Fisher but he took enough from him (Fishers system) to get a huge contract (or two).

Sponsored links
Old 10-23-2007   #68
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I was big on Nelson as well...

I really dislike the fact that he ended up in Jacksonvillage.
He is such a good safety. He would have done wonders for our team but I couldn't imagine how our DLine would be playing without Amobi...I am guessing most of us would be pretty mad about it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #69
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Wait, you're talking about CONSISTENCY here, right?

I could've sworn I've heard that before....

Let me give you a nice response to your 'Mario bashing'...errrrr...analysis:

Which is it with you? Mario needs to be more consistent, or he did a fantastic job?

P.S. D.Rob was as close to covering the WR as you could get. He just got beat. It happens.

But if Collins had been PASS RUSHED at all, he would not have had time to set up that bomb in the first place. Hmmmm, whose job is it to PASS RUSH?

And I could care less about what Reggie or VY does in relation to Mario. They are not Texans and have no bearing on my mindset (I was a D'Brick guy).

You are probably right about people reacting to a tough loss.

But with regards to your first statement regarding "unrealistic expectations", what should we expect from THREE FIRST ROUND PICKS on our defensive line? We used high picks because we want a pass rush, yet it isn't happening. I think we have a right to EXPECT SOMETHING, and if it is unrealistic then I guess we should just golf clap for our defense and expect nothing from them. They can live up to those expectations.
Ummm...consistency between games, not plays. Mario isn't consistent between games, he has a good game then goes on to have 3 bad games then has a good game...that is the consistency I was speaking of not plays or drives.

Also Drob just getting beat...it happens? I hope he isn't thinking like that "Hey he just made a better catch is all." no he was in position to hit the ball but he didn't see it, it was more of a blind swat he did at it, he covered him well but it could have been covered better.

So when I said Mario needs to be more consistent I am talking about between games, but he still didn't have a bad game last sunday.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #70
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think Nelson was taken off of our draft board due to character concerns....supposedly we take more players off our draft board than any team in the NFL.
I hope this is not true because they could be taking guys off like Ray Lewis. Sure, if you sit down and talk to Ray Lewis the year he came out of Miami and you tried to get an insight on how the man thinks and acts (his character) you would probably think he was a crazy. But that crazyness feeds some of these players. That's how Ray Ray does his thing. He is the type of guy that your not quite sure what he is saying on the football field but your pretty sure it involves crushing the other team's player's ribs. We don't seem to have that guy AT ALL.

Where is our killer instinct? We need some mean Mofos. Mario, DeMeco, and Okoye all seem to be kinda soft IMO. I don't mean soft like you think I just mean they don't have that killer instinct. That "Oh you want to run for 5 yards how about I nail your running back to the ground" guy. I mean it works for DeMeco (and it seems to work for Amobi). But every team needs that Energizer. That guy that comes in and just lays a lickin down on someone with emotion and fires the whole team up.

There are guys that I just think make EVERYONE play better because of their emotion. Guys like Brian Dawkins and Shawn Merriman.

P.S. Anyone play Madden 08 on PS3. I am not sure if it is just on PS3 but if you start the game and let the vidoes play Brian Dawkins gives his team a speech before a playoff game that truly makes you pumped even if your not a Eagles fan.

He says something along the lines of "Can you feel that??? Can you feel that thing that's beatin in your dog gon chest right now? Can you feel that? Can you feel what's about to happen on this field man?" Actually here is the link

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-23-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2007   #71
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
he covered him well but it could have been covered better.
Isn't this always the case when a catch is made?
Old 10-23-2007   #72
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Isn't this always the case when a catch is made?
Yeah I would say so. If a guy is making a catch over you of course you could have covered better. He caught over Dunta, Dunta made it a hard catch, but I felt that it looked like he wasn't going for the ball or he didn't see it and made a blind swat. If he saw it he would have made a play on it of course.

I'm not going to get on Dunta too much though, he's a great player. I just think its not fair to blame Mario and the pass rush everytime someone on the opposing offense makes a catch.
Old 10-23-2007   #73
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope this is not true because they could be taking guys off like Ray Lewis. Sure, if you sit down and talk to Ray Lewis the year he came out of Miami and you tried to get an insight on how the man thinks and acts (his character) you would probably think he was a crazy. But that crazyness feeds some of these players. That's how Ray Ray does his thing. He is the type of guy that your not quite sure what he is saying on the football field but your pretty sure it involves crushing the other team's player's ribs. We don't seem to have that guy AT ALL.

Where is our killer instinct? We need some mean Mofos. Mario, DeMeco, and Okoye all seem to be kinda soft IMO. I don't mean soft like you think I just mean they don't have that killer instinct. That "Oh you want to run for 5 yards how about I nail your running back to the ground" guy. I mean it works for DeMeco (and it seems to work for Amobi). But every team needs that Energizer. That guy that comes in and just lays a lickin down on someone with emotion and fires the whole team up.

There are guys that I just think make EVERYONE play better because of their emotion. Guys like Brian Dawkins and Shawn Merriman.

P.S. Anyone play Madden 08 on PS3. I am not sure if it is just on PS3 but if you start the game and let the vidoes play Brian Dawkins gives his team a speech before a playoff game that truly makes you pumped even if your not a Eagles fan.

He says something along the lines of "Can you feel that??? Can you feel that thing that's beatin in your dog gon chest right now? Can you feel that? Can you feel what's about to happen on this field man?" Actually here is the link
I believe this is the biggest problem the Texans have and it starts with McNair.

Certain guys are not considered due to character issues. As long as someone in the organization isn't breaking laws and hangs with consenting adults, I could care less what they do. The point of an NFL team is to win football games.

Also, this criteria is applied in the coaching staff and front office.

Plain and simple, it should be about winning. Being nice has nothing to do with it.

The Texans want to win football games, but they wanna do certain things first that have nothing to do with winning football games and that actually makes it more difficult win.

Six years in and this team still doesn't have an identity...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #74
joedinkle
Veteran

Rep Power: 59 joedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respectedjoedinkle is a quality contributor and well respected

2 things.

1 - How did a thread about Kubiak turn into a MW thread? I swear he's is our new scapegoat(Carr being the old one.)

2 - Has no one seen Mario's spin move? He's used that a few times, and got a QB hit on Collins with that move. Let the man develop.
joedinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #75
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah I would say so. If a guy is making a catch over you of course you could have covered better. He caught over Dunta, Dunta made it a hard catch, but I felt that it looked like he wasn't going for the ball or he didn't see it and made a blind swat. If he saw it he would have made a play on it of course.I just think its not fair to blame Mario and the pass rush everytime someone on the opposing offense makes a catch.
Ever try to play Cornerback? I am pretty sure DRob was in man coverage so we will go over that a bit. Your first physical job is usually to backpedal, unless your jamming in which case you still backpedal a bit. In this case, DRob's next job is to turn and run with the WR because of course the WR is going down the field. I am going to get real simple here because I think this argument is quite simple to diffuse. Once you've turned your back to the QB you can no longer see him. DRob must find the ball and stay in stride with his reciever in order to make this play. DRob turns and runs with his receiver. He then realizes that the receiver has a step and could make a catch if the ball were coming his way. He notices the receiver locating the ball and tries to close the space between him and the defender. He has no time to turn and find the ball. If he were to have turned the ball would have probably passed over his head and the receiver would have caught it and continued to run it down the sidelines. Sometimes the CB knows he can't turn around without losing his man or risk giving up a big play, therefore he tries to make a "blind-swat" as you call it and makes sure he secures the tackle and prevents the WR from getting additional yards.

On your main point:
Quote:
I just think its not fair to blame Mario and the pass rush everytime someone on the opposing offense makes a catch.
Bottom Line: We don't get nearly enough pressure on the QB. We have 3 first round picks in the DL and we are still forced to call hard blitzes (that are obviously read) in order to get consistent pressure. I don't know who you think is blaming Mario...but he deserves some blame at this point. I don't expect him to be a pro bowler this year. But even if he doesn't get sacks I want to see him in the QBs face or bothering the QB. I've yet to see him consistently bother any QB besides Culpepper really. I'm not even sure it was Mario or his knee that was bothering Culpepper.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 10-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-23-2007   #76
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
2 things.

1 - How did a thread about Kubiak turn into a MW thread? I swear he's is our new scapegoat(Carr being the old one.)
2 - Has no one seen Mario's spin move? He's used that a few times, and got a QB hit on Collins with that move. Let the man develop.
That would probably be on me because I started the day saying Kubiak was still coddling Mario, saying he was making plays but needed to become a consistent pro-bowler. I said this was crazy and I didn't see what he saw. TC answered and then we all joined in. I'll take this one.
Old 10-23-2007   #77
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ever try to play Cornerback? I am pretty sure DRob was in man coverage so we will go over that a bit. Your first physical job is usually to backpedal, unless your jamming in which case you still backpedal a bit. In this case, DRob's next job is to turn and run with the WR because of course the WR is going down the field. I am going to get real simple here because I think this argument is quite simple to diffuse. Once you've turned your back to the QB you can no longer see him. DRob must find the ball and stay in stride with his reciever in order to make this play. DRob turns and runs with his receiver. He then realizes that the receiver has a step and could make a catch if the ball were coming his way. He notices the receiver locating the ball and tries to close the space between him and the defender. He has no time to turn and find the ball. If he were to have turned the ball would have probably passed over his head and the receiver would have caught it and continued to run it down the sidelines. Sometimes the CB knows he can't turn around without losing his man or risk giving up a big play, therefore he tries to make a "blind-swat" as you call it and makes sure he secures the tackle and prevents the WR from getting additional yards.

On your main point:

Bottom Line: We don't get nearly enough pressure on the QB. We have 3 first round picks in the DL and we are still forced to call hard blitzes (that are obviously read) in order to get consistent pressure. I don't know who you think is blaming Mario...but he deserves some blame at this point. I don't expect him to be a pro bowler this year. But even if he doesn't get sacks I want to see him in the QBs face or bothering the QB. I've yet to see him consistently bother any QB besides Culpepper really. I'm not even sure it was Mario or his knee that was bothering Culpepper.
All that explanation over whether he could have covered him better? That is what it was about, if he could have covered him any better, any time the WR catches a ball the corner could have covered better unless its not man, and that looked like man for sure. He even admitted he could have done better.

As for you don't know who you think is blaming Mario...look through the post, was it you? I didn't say it was you. Someone said it was the Dlines fault(and Mario's) that we lost on that last drive, that is why DRob came up. You really didn't need to type all that up, I am aware of all that except he could have covered him better since he made the catch. Also he didn't secure the tackle because Roydell got a few yards after that.
Old 10-24-2007   #78
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104642 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedinkle View Post
2 things.

Yeah, that spin move is awesome! If he used that move every time he'd be leading the league in sacks.

In case someone actually thought I was serious.
Old 10-24-2007   #79
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But if Collins had been PASS RUSHED at all, he would not have had time to set up that bomb in the first place. Hmmmm, whose job is it to PASS RUSH?

You are probably right about people reacting to a tough loss.

i dont know why you kepp ignoring it but there was a pass rush.. collins got it out quickly.. i see so called great d-lines every week that are supposed to clobber o-lines but for the most part it only happens when the coaches call blitzes (look at the giants-falcs 2 weeks ago.. osi and strahan (or anybody else) werent getting near to harrington despite being matched up against young tackles until the giants started dialling up blitzes)..

our guys are young and will hopefully get better- we knew the way we draft mightn't yield immediate results but now that thats happeniung i dont know why everybody is acting like its some big surprise (and yeah i know i sound like an apologist but sorry if im ready to give them some time before declaring BUST status)

Quote:
we have more than one S on the field...and we should have been in at least a cover2 or even a cover3 in that situation. One deep doesn't cut it.
yeah ive seen enough of our oh-so-effective prevent shell thank you very much.. this is just blatant second-guessing... blitzing qb's like collins is the best form of defence.. there was pressure, collins has to try and squeeze one in and the wr makes a play that dunta needs to make..btw what good would a deep safety have done anyway- dunta had as good position as you're likely to get and it was a jumpball, if it had been a double move that had left the wr in acres of space deep i might agree with you but i dont see it, looks to me like you're complaining for the sake of it

bottomline we made them earn their fg instead of letting collins dink and dunk us down the field with easy passes, that would've pissed me off waay more
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007   #80
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So when I said Mario needs to be more consistent I am talking about between games, but he still didn't have a bad game last sunday.
That's not what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223
he disappears some plays and sometimes drives
But whatever.

Quote:
I just think its not fair to blame Mario and the pass rush everytime someone on the opposing offense makes a catch.
yeah, why expect a pass rush from a line loaded with first round picks. I guess having any expectations for these guys should not be an option.

My point is that great defensive lines step up when required to step up. Obviously, the problem is that we do not have a "great" defensive line right now in spite of heavy investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
i dont know why you kepp ignoring it but there was a pass rush.. collins got it out quickly.. i see so called great d-lines every week that are supposed to clobber o-lines but for the most part it only happens when the coaches call blitzes (look at the giants-falcs 2 weeks ago.. osi and strahan (or anybody else) werent getting near to harrington despite being matched up against young tackles until the giants started dialling up blitzes)..
I'm not ignoring anything. I've watched the game four times now (once in person and three in replay), and we did not generate much of a pass rush on Collins all game. We were always a second too late.

Make excuses for these guys all you want, but the fact remains that we have a mediocre line after drafting high for them. Maybe they develop into a force in the coming years, but they have a long way to go. Nobody fears them.

Obviously there are other factors, ranging from bad coaching calls to our offense coughing up the ball 6 times and constantly putting them in bad field position. So I'm not just pointing the finger at one aspect without an understanding of the big picture. It's just disappointing to see our team rally and our entire defensive unit fail when they could have sealed the deal.

No biggie, I no longer expect anything this season. Hope we can at least match our record from 2006 at this point.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read