Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2007   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
1) They don't have as large a sample size
2) The ability for a reciever to make plays after a catch is what changes how a defense can play
Very true, but for the sake of this discussion all we can use is their numbers during AJ's absence. The point was that these two guys have been very productive. Of course I am not saying the O wouldn't be better with AJ, but for this O to make a difference, it will take a running game.
Old 10-22-2007   #22
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans are a thin thin thin team that has been remade since 2005. You can't acquire everyone at once--and they are make do at a lot of key positions.

And they have a lot of placeholders on the team until they can get more pieces and parts, but part of that is needing not to lose their key guys.

If you were going to come up with a list of key players you wouldn't want to lose on offense, it would be Steve McKinney, Ahman Green, and Andre Johnson. Ahman Green is back, but reports are that he is still dinged a little, and there's no telling about how he can play because they aren't calling running plays because they aren't working efficiently. Or that they are throwing a lot on first down, and getting into long second down situations.

The special teams was what was carrying the team early in the season and in the preseason. They were reliable. They got incredible field position. With Mathis out, and Jones not himself after the injury, the ST turned into a unreliable liability. Look at where the average starting location was for the Titans at the beginning of their drives.

The Texans have actually been very good at moving the ball in the air this season with the exception of the first three quarters of this game? Is this an anomaly of a quirky game where Jones dumps the ball on the field and all the mo goes the Titans way. The Titans defense has embarrassed other offenses this season and has been carrying that team.

Or are we going to see more horrible defense, of what happens when your offense can't run the ball and teams know they can scheme their defenses accordingly.

The 4th quarter of the game--a game where the Texans turned over the ball 6 times, and botched onside kicks, and had odd penalties--that fourth quarter gives some sort of hope that the Texans offense is not dead yet.

AJ ain't gonna solve all the Texans problems, but boy what he does for opposing defenses is something. If he gets single coverage, he will just overpower the guy and go to the races. Heck, he sometimes can do that with double coverage.
Old 10-22-2007   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see--third WR on the field with Walter and Davis--Harry Anderson v. AJ.

Nope, no difference there. No he isn't THE answer, but he sure is heck is AN answer.
Old 10-22-2007   #24
real

The difference with A.J on the field is that we can kind of dictate what we want to do.

Without him it's like we are just taking what the defense is giving us/hoping someone can make a play.

And yes...our other recievers have made some really good plays...
Old 10-22-2007   #25
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Without him it's like we are just taking what the defense is giving us/hoping someone can make a play.
Taking what the defense gives is what the Texans did the past 5 years. With a crap running game, this team is making things happen in the air. The Texans through 7 games have 21 plays over 20 yards and 7 over 40 yards with almost none of it being the WRs taking short passes long. All of last year they had 29 and 3.
Old 10-22-2007   #26
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Taking what the defense gives is what the Texans did the past 5 years. With a crap running game, this team is making things happen in the air. The Texans through 7 games have 21 plays over 20 yards and 7 over 40 yards with almost none of it being the WRs taking short passes long. All of last year they had 29 and 3.
No doubt...

And maybe I didn't use the correct wording...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we dictated what we wanted to do in the first two games when A.J. was in the game...

Like that 70 yard pass play that came off of play-action that was designed for Andre.....Or that little short throw where he was in the slot and ran in like he was going to crack the LB but turned up field and caught his second TD of the day...

I think without him we don't have a player that we can build plays around in order to try and dictate what we want to happen...

I think our recievers have definitely stepped up and made plays though...
Old 10-22-2007   #27
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

Our team is pretty sick right now, and not in a good way. I think we could use a little Dr. Dre right about now.
Old 10-22-2007   #28
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
No doubt...

And maybe I didn't use the correct wording...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we dictated what we wanted to do in the first two games when A.J. was in the game...

Like that 70 yard pass play that came off of play-action that was designed for Andre.....Or that little short throw where he was in the slot and ran in like he was going to crack the LB but turned up field and caught his second TD of the day...

I think without him we don't have a player that we can build plays around in order to try and dictate what we want to happen...

I think our recievers have definitely stepped up and made plays though...
Totally agree there. AJ let's us create mismatches and pull coverage away from the LOS and run support.
Old 10-22-2007   #29
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: AJ is not the answer

Again, I am not disrespecting the best offensive player on our team (IMHO). I made this thread because at least a few people have posted as if when AJ is back the team will be 100% healthy and win the next 9 games straight.

I feel some people overlook larger issues - such as the decline of special teams without Mathis and with Jones still injured, McKinney gone, possible coaching/game plan issues, etc.

Hopefully we'll have Jones, AJ, and Schaub back in and healthy ASAP.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #30
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 187 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

Rumor has it...
AJ put on 100 lbs. and will be our new starting Left Tackle, so he will be the difference maker.
YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #31
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Again, I am not disrespecting the best offensive player on our team (IMHO). I made this thread because at least a few people have posted as if when AJ is back the team will be 100% healthy and win the next 9 games straight.

I feel some people overlook larger issues - such as the decline of special teams without Mathis and with Jones still injured, McKinney gone, possible coaching/game plan issues, etc.

Hopefully we'll have Jones, AJ, and Schaub back in and healthy ASAP.
I still don't get the point of this thread. A few people hold out hope that the Texans might have a chance if our star #1, game changing receiver comes back and you decide to dash it with a reality check that the rest of the team still sucks?

(Not necessarily saying thats a horrible thing, as I've done the same thing before, but still).

I mean, seriously, whats the message here? Theres no hope at all? The one thing we can really change during the next 9 weeks isn't going to make a difference?

Realistically, you have to be delusional to think the Texans are going to win 9 in a row, and I have yet to see anyone claiming that if AJ is back we are a lock to finish 12-4. Heck, Im apparently something of a pessimist on this board, but even I believe that once AJ is back, we are going to notice a huge change out of our offense. I said it once, and I'll say it again. All things considered, we were 2-0 with AJ and are 1-4 without him. But, I guess if reality checking is the mode du jour, then so be it
Old 10-22-2007   #32
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The Texans are a thin thin thin team that has been remade since 2005. You can't acquire everyone at once--and they are make do at a lot of key positions.
Yea and you know I think Matt Schaub is going to rest a week or two. I think he was already somewhat injured before the Titans game. From what I understand he has a knick on his leg and a bruised hip. We really probably should rest Schaub and get him back healthy...there is no reason to put him out there partly injured.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #33
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Totally agree there. AJ let's us create mismatches and pull coverage away from the LOS and run support.
That normally draws that eighth man away from the line of scrimmage. Without AJ we are finding it hard to manipulate the defense with our motion.

Agree with both of you guys (real and infantrycak) BTW.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda think that fixing one flat tire doesn't automatically mean that both tires that were flat are fixed just because you fix one tire...but it's one less tire to fix going forward.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #35
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

When AJ comes back we'll be a better team. How much better we'll see then.

But I can guarantee you guys until we fix the o-line and get a better RB we still won't have a play off caliber offense. And until we get some better safeties people will throw on us.

You have to be a complete team to win the super bowl, and we aren't even close. Hell, I'm beginning to wonder if we go 8-8 now.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #36
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default Dre makes all the difference

Andre Johnson is a man among boys and makes all the difference with this team. They just have a different swagger when he is in the lineup. He affects both the offense and defense for us. What a stud!!!!!!
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007   #37
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon
Default Re: Dre makes all the difference

The Texans are undefeated this season when Dre starts.
Old 11-19-2007   #38
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 48121 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in light of this thread, that AJ's new nickname should be "The Answer"

I guess its too bad thats already taken.

But, just for fun:
The texans are undefeated with AJ
Schaub threw 2 TD passes with AJ gone, and in his first game back, already matched that total
AJ has 3 100+ yard games with TDs in each

He is the difference maker
Old 11-19-2007   #39
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Well, just to play Devil's Advocate, AJ still didn't have a red zone TD. The extra score in the red zone was key.
Old 11-19-2007   #40
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking Re: AJ is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, our only true offensive playmaker will not make a difference when he returns.....riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
booya!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read