Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-22-2007   #1
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool AJ is not the answer

Mark this down, so I can say "I told you so."

I keep seeing "I want Andre back," "Andre will fix everything," etc.

When Andre is back, we're not going back to week 1 and 2 ball. We've had a LOT of problems develop since then (exactly what and why is a whole other thread). We've had OD over the middle, and Walter and Davis stepping up to stretch the field.

Yes, AJ is a top NFL wide receiver. Yes, I miss him.

No, having him back will not "fix" our current woes.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #2
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ is not the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

When Andre is back, we're not going back to week 1 and 2 ball. We've had a LOT of problems develop since then (exactly what and why is a whole other thread). We've had OD over the middle, and Walter and Davis stepping up to stretch the field.

I think it fixes some things, but like you said not everything. AJ is well known around the league as someone who can take a small catch and make it a big completion. Defenses have to make sure they keep an eye on him on every play. That allows OD and JJ, and really our run offense as well. Teams tend to stack the box because they know none of our starters are particularly dangerous. With AJ in there, Green averaged 4.6 and 4.7 ypg, and without AJ he has averaged 2.8 and 3.5. That might not seem like a huge difference, but when you lineup on 2nd and 5 its a lot better than lining up on 2nd and 8.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #3
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: AJ is not the answer

I agree, we'll be better, this is a given. But I keep feeling like a lot of people have the sentiment that we're back to week 1 and 2 ball the instant he's back.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #4
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I think it fixes some things, but like you said not everything. AJ is well known around the league as someone who can take a small catch and make it a big completion. Defenses have to make sure they keep an eye on him on every play. That allows OD and JJ, and really our run offense as well. Teams tend to stack the box because they know none of our starters are particularly dangerous. With AJ in there, Green averaged 4.6 and 4.7 ypg, and without AJ he has averaged 2.8 and 3.5. That might not seem like a huge difference, but when you lineup on 2nd and 5 its a lot better than lining up on 2nd and 8.
It doesn't fix everything.

Our LT still sucks, our run blocking needs to improve. Lets just talk offense, the only way AJ effects defense is helping the offense play better to keep the defense fresh.

But it does fix our passing game and teams are not going to stack the box like they did the past 5 weeks. It will allow all of our WRs to get open and with how Davis and Walter has stepped up, with Andre in there this could be a very dangerous passing game.

You take the best player off any teams offense and that offense will probably struggle.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes it will. Having an electric offense does 2 things:

1. Opens up the run game
2. Keeps our offense on the field
3. Keeps our defense off the field
4. Keeps their offense off the field
5. Gives our players confidence
Old 10-22-2007   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course it won't fix everything, but i doubt we'll look like we jumped in a time machine & went back to 2001, b/c that's how we've been looking the past couple of weeks.

AJ's presence means our offense should be more efficient. The red zone problems we've had since he's been out should tell you all you need to know about that.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95426 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words:

Culpepper
Moss
The1ApplePie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Whats the point of this thread, exactly? Kick sand in our eyes. Knock us while we're down?

Our best player, and arguably one of the top 5 or 10 players in the entire NFL at ANY position is out, we're losing, and we're not supposed to expect that it will help any when he gets back?

We've gone 1-4 since he's been out. With AJ we were 2-0. Thats all I know and all I need to know. You can do your "civic duty" and keep us from getting our hopes up if you want, but I dont see the point
That seems dumb. And pointless to start an entire thread over it
Old 10-22-2007   #9
real

I think the closest comparison to style of offense and supporting cast is Steve Smith's Panthers.

You take Steve Smith away from that offense and they function less efficiently.

Same thing goes for A.J.
Old 10-22-2007   #10
Nza
Rookie

A true #1 WR like AJ can change an O and the D's an O faces beyond his own 6 catches per game or whatever. He's a scheme changer, which is a pretty big thing to subtract from an offense out of nowhere from injury when they have none after him.
Nza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96241 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think the closest comparison to style of offense and supporting cast is Steve Smith's Panthers.

You take Steve Smith away from that offense and they function less efficiently.

Same thing goes for A.J.
dead on...
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #12
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Whats the point of this thread, exactly? Kick sand in our eyes. Knock us while we're down?

Our best player, and arguably one of the top 5 or 10 players in the entire NFL at ANY position is out, we're losing, and we're not supposed to expect that it will help any when he gets back?

We've gone 1-4 since he's been out. With AJ we were 2-0. Thats all I know and all I need to know. You can do your "civic duty" and keep us from getting our hopes up if you want, but I dont see the point
That seems dumb. And pointless to start an entire thread over it
I don't get the whole "Its not going to help much" mentality either.

We'll see what happens when he comes back, problem is we don't know when that is going to be.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #13
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post

It will help, but we really miss McKinney as much or more than Dre right now.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #14
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ won't fix everything but it will help us in the way that we weren't using the running game to set up the pass earlier in the season. We used the pass to set up the running game...what game we had. So hopefully with him back and working the field we will be able to work the offense more efficiently. Despite the other WRs stepping up in some games I still think they are having problems finding their creases and that time Schaub has had to hold it has made a big difference...and the line being horrible.
Old 10-22-2007   #15
run-david-run
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1331 run-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respectedrun-david-run is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to run-david-run

Even though Walter and Davis have really steped up, there has been almost no yardage after catch from any receiver on our team other then AJ. Look at the TD aginst Carolina where he caught the ball about 7 yards upfield and just ran by everyone for a 33 yard TD. No one else on our team can do that, so while we are making big plays, esspecially Davis, AJ brings something no one else on our team has, the ability to make big plays with the ball in his hands. This also opens up the run and evey other passing option. I dont think AJ coming back will fix everything, but its definately going to help.
Old 10-22-2007   #16
austintexanite
All Pro

AJ back won't fix everything, but it will definitely help in the red zone and allow other players to get freed up.
Old 10-22-2007   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by run-david-run View Post
Even though Walter and Davis have really steped up, there has been almost no yardage after catch from any receiver on our team other then AJ. Look at the TD aginst Carolina where he caught the ball about 7 yards upfield and just ran by everyone for a 33 yard TD. No one else on our team can do that, so while we are making big plays, esspecially Davis, AJ brings something no one else on our team has, the ability to make big plays with the ball in his hands. This also opens up the run and evey other passing option. I dont think AJ coming back will fix everything, but its definately going to help.
Point taken...

Counter point:
Andre Johnson for his career averages 13.0 yards per reception

Andre Davis and Kevin Walter (this season)
Davis 19.2 yards
Walter 13.2 yards
Old 10-22-2007   #18
HardcoreTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 HardcoreTexan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotHardcoreTexan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

As stated in some posts previous I think he being back will have an impact on improving other areas on our offense. It won't be the magic that makes this TEAM win but it will have an impact.
Old 10-22-2007   #19
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, our only true offensive playmaker will not make a difference when he returns.....riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 10-22-2007   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Point taken...

Counter point:
Andre Johnson for his career averages 13.0 yards per reception

Andre Davis and Kevin Walter (this season)
Davis 19.2 yards
Walter 13.2 yards

1) They don't have as large a sample size
2) The ability for a reciever to make plays after a catch is what changes how a defense can play

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read